• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Now that it's summertime I wonder if it can't be possible to get a good MKWii game going with gaffers. Playing the #gaf_wfc regulars is fun and all, but the more the merrier.

Didn't know anyone was playing this still. I'll start to check the IRC more often for matches. Haven't karted in a while, Maple Tree Way is calling me :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fun thing to do in Wario's Gold Mine:

1. Grab an item box to the left at the very start.
2. If you get a triple mushroom, go past the starting/finish line, then drive back towards it just to the left of the left post, mushroom, land ON TOP of the pipe to the right under the bridge.
3. Watch as lakitu drops you at the start of the bridge and your place changes from 12th to 1st.
4. To keep this you must immediately turn around and drive back until lakitu gives you the reversed warning.
5. Turn around, drive through finish line.
6. Enjoy having skipped half a lap

You can actually repeat this for every mushroom and finish the race in under a minute, but it's harder to do.

Hitokage said:
Fun thing to do in Wario's Gold Mine:

1. Grab an item box to the left at the very start.
2. If you get a triple mushroom, go past the starting/finish line, then drive back towards it just to the left of the left post, mushroom, land ON TOP of the pipe to the right under the bridge.
3. Watch as lakitu drops you at the start of the bridge and your place changes from 12th to 1st.
4. To keep this you must immediately turn around and drive back until lakitu gives you the reversed warning.
5. Turn around, drive through finish line.
6. Enjoy having skipped half a lap

You can actually repeat this for every mushroom and finish the race in under a minute, but it's harder to do.

I think this is it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKsgVzLolTg

Nice to see some exploits/glitches in this game. I had a blast playing Mario Kart 64 for an entire summer just finding and trying out various glitches.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Captain Nemo said:
I think this is it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKsgVzLolTg

Nice to see some exploits/glitches in this game. I had a blast playing Mario Kart 64 for an entire summer just finding and trying out various glitches.
Heh, yeah, to be honest I was basically just trying to replicate what I could from the champion time trial ghost with my usual vehicle and came upon that more modest form that is doable even outside time trial. I've also seen somebody do the Grumble Volcano exploit online without a mushroom but I have absolutely no idea how it was pulled off. I don't think it was a cheat because I was soundly beating the guy otherwise.

There's also the Mushroom Gorge exploit and a clipping bug in Bowser's Castle that allows you to skip the loop around the open lava pit.

Can I unlock all the hidden shit in the game just by playing all the levels or do I actually have to attain gold cups and star ratings to get everything?

Just got the game last week. This is some fun shit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
NintendosBooger said:
Can I unlock all the hidden shit in the game just by playing all the levels or do I actually have to attain gold cups and star ratings to get everything?

You'll need to gold star stuff but the game keeps throwing unlockables at you until you're done, so it feels less like a grind thanks to getting unlockables while you're going for other unlockables.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NintendosBooger said:

Gold cups are pretty much irrelevant in MKWii. You can unlock the right-side cups just by getting third place in the ones to the left of them, and ranking is all that matters otherwise. This usually means getting star ranked in either the set of four Wii cups or four Retro cups for a given cc class. Other stuff is unlocked through Time Trial either by getting a good enough time to unlock the second staff ghost for a given track, and some just by playing a certain number of tracks.

You don't need three star rankings to unlock stuff, but it's something to shoot for nonetheless. Basically, when you go online next to your name it'll have the lowest star ranking that holds true for every cup in every cc. Have a few letter ranks? No star. Have a lot of twos and threes but a couple one stars? One star. Three stars in every last cup? Three stars.

WTF is up with this game?

I had to struggle to finish first place in all the 100cc races, and now 150cc is kicking my ass. Why can't I play with another person in Grand Prix?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NintendosBooger said:

I had to struggle to finish first place in all the 100cc races, and now 150cc is kicking my ass.
First, do you know how to do tricks and wheelies? Second, do you know how to drag items behind you?

Hitokage said:
First, do you know how to do tricks and wheelies? Second, do you know how to drag items behind you?

Yes, sir. I can do the tricks while in the air and drag items by holding <-. Is there a defense against the purple shell?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NintendosBooger said:
Yes, sir. I can do the tricks while in the air and drag items by holding <-. Is there a defense against the purple shell?
Blue shells? The only possible means of track independent evasion requires a mushroom, which you don't normally get in first place. More typically, you need to build enough separation between you and second place so that a blue shell(or two!) doesn't drop you out of first.

Therein lies a secret to the game: the AI is rubberband only to a point. If you run a course fast enough they will be unable to keep up. Of course, this limit increases with cc class, and you have to work your ass off to create separation in Mirror.

Davey Cakes

100cc is not any harder than it was in the other games, in my opinion.

Now, 150cc, THAT'S pretty tough since the AI is really brutal. Unlocking Dry Bowser was a huge pain in the ass.

I love me some Mario Kart Wii. It and MKDS are the best Mario Kart games, easily. That said, the omission of a multiplayer grand prix is puzzling to me as well.

BowieZ

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

I had to struggle to finish first place in all the 100cc races, and now 150cc is kicking my ass.
Get better.

Trust me, I thought I was great at the game and then 150cc/mirror opened my eyes to how much I could improve.

I wish Nintendo had a ´Greatest Hits´ line for Wii, Mario Kart is still full price in normal stores. I can find it somewhat cheaper online, but come on :lol

Burai

shitonmychest57
Notorious_Roy said:
I wish Nintendo had a ´Greatest Hits´ line for Wii, Mario Kart is still full price in normal stores. I can find it somewhat cheaper online, but come on :lol

Greatest Hits lines have arbitrary triggers anyway. Mario Kart has ridiculous legs, so it will stay full price forever, much like Modern Warfare.

Vagabundo

Burai said:
Greatest Hits lines have arbitrary triggers anyway. Mario Kart has ridiculous legs, so it will stay full price forever, much like Modern Warfare.

Modern Warfare dropped like a rock on the PC; €25 for a long time now..

BowieZ said:
Get better.

Trust me, I thought I was great at the game and then 150cc/mirror opened my eyes to how much I could improve.

I'm definitely improving.

Basically, and I think this goes the same for everyone, if you don't hit most of your tricks (e.g., wheelies, dash boost, etc.) then you're not going to win. No possible way to win races just driving vanilla while hoping to get good items.

Another thing, I've given up using the wheel or the Wii-Mote for that matter. It's all GC controller from here. I'll return to waggle once I've completely unlocked the game but for right now it's serious business.

BowieZ

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Basically, and I think this goes the same for everyone, if you don't hit most of your tricks (e.g., wheelies, dash boost, etc.) then you're not going to win. No possible way to win races just driving vanilla while hoping to get good items.

Another thing, I've given up using the wheel or the Wii-Mote for that matter. It's all GC controller from here. I'll return to waggle once I've completely unlocked the game but for right now it's serious business.
Yeah, well, I guess I kinda "cheat" in the sense that I use the Wii-Mote+Nunchuck. I just could never get the hang of the wheel -- nor could the majority of the public, I believe... :lol

Vanilla... :lol

And yeah, even if you drive 100% perfect, there's still like a 40-60 chance that the rubber band AI will be sooo overpowering with so many blue shells that you just cannot win period. But two perfect races in a row should statistically negate that. :D

NintendosBooger said:

I had to struggle to finish first place in all the 100cc races, and now 150cc is kicking my ass. Why can't I play with another person in Grand Prix?

good luck playing online against some japanese hardcore players then.
there are (3 stars)-guys who overtook me 2 times in a race with wheel-control option. :lol
and I consider myself really good. they are really insane

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NintendosBooger said:
Actually, you're mistaken here. Wiimote+Nunchuk is my preferred control scheme because you can wheelie/trick independent of steering, which is important because you need to outright abuse wheelies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Blackbird| said:
This star ranking system dont make any sense,sometimes i get in first in all races and get a b ranking
You need to make good times too. Pulling a last second win in your races is not enough.

Hitokage said:
Actually, you're mistaken here. Wiimote+Nunchuk is my preferred control scheme because you can wheelie/trick independent of steering, which is important because you need to outright abuse wheelies.

I see. So the optimum control method for MKWii is the Wiimote+Nunchuck, and not the GC controller? I'll try it out today.

jaypah

Hitokage said:
You need to make good times too! Pulling a last second win in your races is not enough!

fixed to make you sound like his MK coach.

i've been playing this game a lot again. it's like some kind of horrible addiction. i mean horribly awesome addiction.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NintendosBooger said:
I see. So the optimum control method for MKWii is the Wiimote+Nunchuck, and not the GC controller? I'll try it out today.
Some people are more comfortable with the GC controller, so it works for them, but for me, having to take my thumb off the analog stick to hit the dpad is limiting. One place that comes to mind is the right/lower path at the end of Grumble Volcano, where you need to trick on the ramp while turning.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
NintendosBooger said:

you are playing with manual drift right? It'd be a big handicap if you weren't drift boosting on top of everything else.

BowieZ said:
So what is everyone's favorite MKW tune? I mean, from the 16 new tracks?

I love the one on the midnight highway track, I can't remember the name of the track though. Also the Maple course song is pretty sweet, where you're in all the trees. Man I should start playing this some more.

levious said:
you are playing with manual drift right? It'd be a big handicap if you weren't drift boosting on top of everything else.

Yes I am. On bikes, the drift boost is limited to only blue sparks, right? You can't go all the way like the karts.

BowieZ

Banned
Apocalyptatron said:
I love the one on the midnight highway track, I can't remember the name of the track though. Also the Maple course song is pretty sweet, where you're in all the trees. Man I should start playing this some more.
My favorites, in order:

1. Maple Treeway
  2. Rainbow Road
  3. Coconut Mall
  4. Luigi & Mario Raceways (Main Theme)
  5. Mushroom Gorge
  6. Bowser's Castle
  7. Toad's Factory
  8. Moonview Highway
  9. Koopa Cape
  10. Dry Dry Ruins
  11. DK Summit (aka DK's Snowboard Cross)
  12. Daisy Circuit
  13. Wario's Goldmine
  14. Moo Moo Meadows
  15. Grumble Volcano

Special mention: Thwomp Desert (Battle Course). So awesome!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
NintendosBooger said:
Yes I am. On bikes, the drift boost is limited to only blue sparks, right? You can't go all the way like the karts.

right, but the wheelie boost probably makes up for that, just don't use it too much until you're in first I'd say.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
levious said:
right, but the wheelie boost probably makes up for that, just don't use it too much until you're in first I'd say.
Well, you should be careful not to let somebody bump into while you're in a wheelie, but otherwise you should be doing it as much as possible.

jibblypop

Banned
I've been playing this game a ton online since it was released and just never stopped. Best Mario Kart ever! But I just realized that I never beat all the circuits with a star rating to get that little star next to your name online.
So I've been spending some time trying to do it and it seems completely random. Sometimes I'll earn a star and other times and A ranking.

Does anybody know what the criteria is for earning the star ranking?

jibblypop said:
If it is anything like Mario Kart DS, (haven't played much of MKWii) you must get a star ranking on every cup, every speed class.

Edit: Whoops, I thought you meant the criteria for getting a star beside your name for online play. Pretty much what Hito said, and I also find that spending time off road - even for shortcuts - is detrimental to getting a star rank.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
jibblypop said:
I've been playing this game a ton online since it was released and just never stopped. Best Mario Kart ever! But I just realized that I never beat all the circuits with a star rating to get that little star next to your name online.
So I've been spending some time trying to do it and it seems completely random. Sometimes I'll earn a star and other times and A ranking.

I'm not exactly sure, but if you do the following then you're pretty much guaranteed to get a three star rating(not just one!):

1. Finish first in all four races.
2. Do not spend a lot of time in a position other than first.
3. Minimize the time needed to finish each race.

If the AI's rubber banding becomes unable to keep up with you, which is possible even on Mirror, then you're doing what you should be doing. Falling short of these goals, like having to resort to a come-from-behind victory in a race, will probably dock your rating.

jibblypop

Banned
Hitokage said:
I'm not exactly sure, but if you do the following then you're pretty much guaranteed to get a three star rating(not just one!):

1. Finish first in all four races.
2. Do not spend a lot of time in a position other than first.
3. Minimize the time needed to finish each race.

If the AI's rubber banding becomes unable to keep up with you, which is possible even on Mirror, then you're doing what you should be doing. Falling short of these goals, like having to resort to a come-from-behind victory in a race, will probably dock your rating.

Thanks for the tips. It seems that even if you don't come in first every race, you can still get a star ranking just from being in first for most of the race.

After struggling with the mirror cups over and over, my girlfriend comes over and says "just put it to automatic and you'll get a star every time". Sure enough, she plays and got one first try. So I tried it as well and got 4 star rankings in a row. Seems weird that it's so easy to get a star on the mirror cups on automatic but whatever.
I'll switch back to manual for online play anyways since auto doesn't feel as fun without the speed boosts.

At first I felt a little embarrassed about using automatic but as a wise person once told me "shame only holds you back!"

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Like I said, one star isn't the highest rating so when you get docked, it's from three stars not one.

Anyway, if you're using a vehicle with a low miniturbo stat, then there isn't much benefit to using manual. Furthermore, when comparing the straight-line speeds of the manual and auto versions of the same vehicle, the auto version is slightly faster. I found this out doing time trials and found myself gradually falling behind when using manual against an auto ghost when the course was straight no matter how much I tried. So if you use the Sneakster like I do, then auto is likely your best bet. If you use the Mach Bike or Flame Runner, then you definitely need to be using manual.

desh

Bikes are faster than karts due to wheelies, so use the bikes. The best bikes to use are the Bowser Bike with Funky Kong or the Mach Bike with Daisy. On one of the circuits, using the Magikruiser bike with Toadette makes two of the races ridiculously easy. These races would be the shy guy beach course and the Sherbertland course. Toadette and the Magikruiser have the best offroad stats, and thus you can almost take no speed penalty from driving through the shallows on shy guy beach; the offroad stat also helps with the sherbertland course.

jibblypop

Banned
Hitokage said:
one star isn't the highest rating so when you get docked, it's from three stars not one.

Oh yeah, I was aware of that. I already have a lot of 3-star rankings on the 50cc cups. I just set my goal for the mirror cups at one star for now.

jibblypop

Banned
Yes! Got a star ranking or better in every cup! Now onto double-stars! :D

Did anyone manage to get a triple star ranking on every cup? I played against a few people online that had it. Seems like masochism though.

jibblypop

Banned
Hitokage said:
*raises hand*

Dayum. You have good taste in games too. Mario Kart and Street Fighter are almost the only games I play online.

Maybe I'll go for it then after I get 2 stars. I can tell 2 stars is easily do-able at my current skill level. I'll try following your tips from earlier if I go for 3 stars.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have a love/hate relationship with Mario Kart Wii. It's one of the only games on the Wii I actually play but it tries so very hard to make me never want to touch it again. Two blue shells followed by a red shell before you even recover by all rights should make me smash things. Actually, it's been a long time since I've played it so I'm extremely rusty now.

Anyway, if you haven't attempted Time Trials yet, I recommend you do so. The difference between one or two stars with a 7000 to 8000 online rating and three stars with a 9500+ online rating is entirely in how well you take turns, abuse wheelies(nunchuk is a big help here), and use the fastest routes to your advantage.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I tripled starred every Cup, and basically put the game down forever after that. Online play is generally fun, but there are a fair amount of hackers running around. Time trails is one of the least aggravating ways to play, if being bombarded by Blue Shells, Red Shells and hackers using 'permanent' Bullet Bill power-ups are driving you insane.

Top Bottom