• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

NeonZ

I'm really displeased with the 1p cups. They aren't really hard, but it's basically impossible to beat the 150cc cups with Wario's Flame Flyer (the large car-like kart with a visible engine and extremely low acceleration), even though I could finish Double Dash just fine with low acceleration vehicles, like Bowser's and Wario's.

Whoever was balancing the game did a really bad job. I know that large karts have always been bad, but I had never seen a Mario kart which made it basically impossible to win 150cc cups with them without needing to retry for hours. I have easily won using other vehicles (like the Off-roader and the Wario Bike), but the uselessness of the Flame Flyer in single player is really annoying.

d+pad

yoopoo said:

Sorry to bump this, but I couldn't help myself. I LOVE this video - makes me think back to all the times I've been f*cked over by multiple red shells in a row, a red shell leading to a blue shell, etc. I've done the same to others, though, so I can't feel too bad.

I wish I would have taped my experience yesterday. Had the worst day ever in MKWii - coming in near-last for about 5 races before finally giving up. Twice I was in 2nd place and coming up to the finish line when someone smoked me with a blue shell - which allowed nearly everyone else to race by me. Ha ha!! :lol

mrbagdt

i just bought this game this past weekend. i had read the mixed reviews and was really unsure about picking it up, but i played it at a friends house and my GF liked it, so i had to grab it. it is a fun multiplayer game, and the online functionality actually works well. my biggest annoyance so far is that if you do manual drift instead of automatic, i almost always tend to lose. even when i do time trials, just to see what the fastest times i can get are, my automatic time is faster than my manual time. i am no pro, but i can drift around corners well and stay off the damn grass for an entire race if i have to. i just cant get over the fact that ez-mode automatic is nearly as effective as manual.

but it does make the game a lot more balanced for people who are not really good, so whatever.

mrbagdt said:
i just cant get over the fact that ez-mode automatic is nearly as effective as manual.

It really isn't. There must be something wrong with your tactics, but I guess it isn't something we can just give you tips on if you're staying on the course. Maybe try watching some videos?

bubka

yoopoo said:
After a month off, addicted to online mode again....broke 1000 online wins today. Yay me.
wow congrats, I was above 800 for a while but got a string of races with 3x blue shells

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anybody still playing this?
I'd love to grow a bigger friend list :)

(EU)
4983-6875-8581 [DashGAF]

PM if you add me and where're you from (no prob if US or JPN!)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Today, I saw somebody commit grand scale cheating online. No, I don't mean the usual "cheats" which is another way of referring to item boxes. I don't mean getting a huge lead on everyone else since that's me some of the time(8000+ w/ 1 star rating), and I don't even mean the incredibly cheap ways the AI keeps up with you in single player mode.

...no, I mean STAR POWER ON DEMAND

I first thought something was up when I saw somebody go invulnerable BEFORE THE FIRST ITEM BOX, but I figured it might have been lag doing crazy things. Things got more suspicious when he conveniently had a star to defend against a lightning bolt and a blue shell on two different occasions. Later, on another course I was half a lap ahead on Delfino Square, because I'm using an extremely fast bike and hitting all turns perfectly... but then the cheating asshole decides he doesn't like that, zooms up to where I am on constant invulnerability, then repeatedly attacks me so I fall back with everyone else.

GG Nintendo.

MWCShay

Ive still not ran into anyone with the star power on demand trick but I will admit I use one of my online accounts to fuck with people sometimes.

My regular score is in the high 8000s but this one is in the low 3000s.

If anyone over 7000 comes into a race I try to win so they can lose points, even if they get second place sometimes they still lose points. Its good stupid fun.

If anyone wants to add my regular racing mii, my wii code is...

4382 2221 5392 0377

Teknoman

Hitokage said:
Today, I saw somebody commit grand scale cheating online. No, I don't mean the usual "cheats" which is another way of referring to item boxes. I don't mean getting a huge lead on everyone else since that's me some of the time(8000+ w/ 1 star rating), and I don't even mean the incredibly cheap ways the AI keeps up with you in single player mode.

...no, I mean STAR POWER ON DEMAND

I first thought something was up when I saw somebody go invulnerable BEFORE THE FIRST ITEM BOX, but I figured it might have been lag doing crazy things. Things got more suspicious when he conveniently had a star to defend against a lightning bolt and a blue shell on two different occasions. Later, on another course I was half a lap ahead on Delfino Square, because I'm using an extremely fast bike and hitting all turns perfectly... but then the cheating asshole decides he doesn't like that, zooms up to where I am on constant invulnerability, then repeatedly attacks me so I fall back with everyone else.

GG Nintendo.

Wow...I didnt even know there were cheat devices for consoles anymore.

Dash Kappei said:
I'm down for a tourney just as much as I'm down for some friendly races :)

We tried that awhile back...had a large turn out for sign ups, but no one showed up online when it was time to race. Would like a Mario Kart friendly+tournament revival on GAF though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hacking has been around for awhile. I'm glad I haven't come across it, but I rarely play Mario Kart ranked races now because of it. It's a shame Nintendo can't fix this and chances are, they won't give a shit if you tell them the name of the person who was doing it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ysiadmihi said:
Hacking has been around for awhile. I'm glad I haven't come across it, but I rarely play Mario Kart ranked races now because of it. It's a shame Nintendo can't fix this and chances are, they won't give a shit if you tell them the name of the person who was doing it.

Why couldn't they fix it?

Also, am I the only one getting frequently disconnected these days? I played the game a ew days ago and today too. Both times, my friend and I kept getting errors, servers crashing during a race, after a race, and so on and so forth.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Why couldn't they fix it?

If I'm thinking correctly, hackers are using modified discs to let them cheat. The Wii can't detect them, the game can't be patched (or if it can, Nintendo won't) and the only real option is for Nintendo to ban players who cheat...and they obviously don't care if it's still going on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
050902_MikeMyers_hmed.hmedium.jpg

"Nintendo does not care about american people"

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ysiadmihi said:
If I'm thinking correctly, hackers are using modified discs to let them cheat. The Wii can't detect them, the game can't be patched (or if it can, Nintendo won't) and the only real option is for Nintendo to ban players who cheat...and they obviously don't care if it's still going on.

Why wouldn't Nintendo patch the game, then?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ysiadmihi said:
I don't know, laziness maybe? I'm not sure why you're asking me :lol

Because I fail to see why Nintendo not trying to fix that kind of problem would be so obvious. I'm not saying they will fix it, but assuming it grows enough to be noticeable by many, it's in Nintendo's best interest to fix it. Why? Well, because Mario Kart Wii is Nintendo's best game when it comes to online. It's successful with guys and girls alike (especially couples, apparently), and if Nintendo is so serious about the whole "have a fun, non-threatening time online", then they will be adamant about having an online mode devoid of cheating. Historically, Nintendo has always hated cheating anyway (see Game Genie).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Because I fail to see why Nintendo not trying to fix that kind of problem would be so obvious. I'm not saying they will fix it, but assuming it grows enough to be noticeable by many, it's in Nintendo's best interest to fix it. Why? Well, because Mario Kart Wii is Nintendo's best game when it comes to online. It's successful with guys and girls alike (especially couples, apparently), and if Nintendo is so serious about the whole "have a fun, non-threatening time online", then they will be adamant about having an online mode devoid of cheating. Historically, Nintendo has always hated cheating anyway (see Game Genie).

How do you think they will fix it then? If patches were possible, previous Wii games with problems would have been patched instead of recalled. If patches *are* possible, the patch would likely take a good chunk of the Wii's storage. If they wanted to ban everyone who's been reported, it would have been done by now.

It doesn't matter if it's in their best interests to fix it, it won't be fixed. Believe me, I hate to say it since I love the game (I maxed out my rating on one license and am pretty close to doing so on my kart only license) but it's just not going to happen.

ruffles

We still have an IRC room so please join so we could make a room and play.

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_wfc

One web based method of getting on:

http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
use gaf_wfc as the channel name.

Chatzilla seems to work as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

And this is another link to a web based version:

http://irc2go.com/pjirc/?net=GlobalGamers&room=GAF_WFC
just type in your nick.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.

Makes things a lot more convenient to set up games and stuff.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ysiadmihi said:
How do you think they will fix it then? If patches were possible, previous Wii games with problems would have been patched instead of recalled. If patches *are* possible, the patch would likely take a good chunk of the Wii's storage. If they wanted to ban everyone who's been reported, it would have been done by now.

It doesn't matter if it's in their best interests to fix it, it won't be fixed. Believe me, I hate to say it since I love the game (I maxed out my rating on one license and am pretty close to doing so on my kart only license) but it's just not going to happen.

Now we're talking.

Has there been cases of online hacking though (apart from MKWii)? If so, is it guaranteed that a patch would take a good chunk of the Wii's storage? The hacking could be caused by anything, even the tiniest hole in the game's code... or something (yes, I'm no expert at all, just suggesting).

I, for one, haven't noticed any problems of that sort yet, or none that I could notice anyway. Were the game to be successful months and months after its release and the problem to grow and grow, I don't think Nintendo wouldn't do anything at all. Right now? They're not going to do anything, I agree.

What has me concerned though is the instability of the servers lately. Has anyone experienced any these days?

Teknoman

ruffles said:
We still have an IRC room so please join so we could make a room and play.

channel #gaf_wfc

Chatzilla seems to work as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

http://irc2go.com/pjirc/?net=GlobalGamers&room=GAF_WFC
just type in your nick.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.

Good the irc is still up.

Milabrega

We got a room open for MK right now if anyone wants to play, pop into the irc to get it going.

To use IRC:

Go to http://mibbit.com/.
Click on the drop tab and select GlobalGamers.net (half way down the list)
Enter "#Gaf_WFC" in the channel section
Choose a Nick
Click Connect and wait a second for it to start.

or:

Nabster92 said:
Also we made an irc channel for us gaffers playing nintendo wi-fi stuff.

channel #gaf_wfc

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#GAF_WFC
just type in your nick.

Kilrogg said:
Now we're talking.

Has there been cases of online hacking though (apart from MKWii)? If so, is it guaranteed that a patch would take a good chunk of the Wii's storage? The hacking could be caused by anything, even the tiniest hole in the game's code... or something (yes, I'm no expert at all, just suggesting).

I, for one, haven't noticed any problems of that sort yet, or none that I could notice anyway. Were the game to be successful months and months after its release and the problem to grow and grow, I don't think Nintendo wouldn't do anything at all. Right now? They're not going to do anything, I agree.

What has me concerned though is the instability of the servers lately. Has anyone experienced any these days?

It's a hack, apparently launched from the homebrew channel. Any patch they issued would likely be hacked around. Seems to be happening a lot in MK DS recently too.

Best solution would be a server side check that bans people for blatantly impossible behaviour, but i don't know how feasible that would be.

Deku

Banned
So I got a Wii mail from friend who invited me to join their MKWii friendlist and I decided to go out to purchase the game.

SOLD OUT.

wtf.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Deku said:
So I got a Wii mail from friend who invited me to join their MKWii friendlist and I decided to go out to purchase the game.

SOLD OUT.

wtf.

You should read the Retail Musings threads more often. :p

Thought you all might enjoy this.

I sent an email to Nintendo, just asking politely why they haven't been able to fix the online cheating in Mario Kart Wii.

This is the response I got:

Hello,

Sadly, cheating in games (even board or card games) is an unfortunate fact of life. We do respect the fact that you, and many others, do their best to enjoy gaming without cheating. At Nintendo, we do our best to make sure that our fans are able to have a fun gaming experience.

One way we have been able to accomplish this is through the Friend Code feature. We introduced the Friend Code feature as a way of allowing gamers to build their own personal online gaming community by choosing to play only with those they know and trust. This way, players are able to create an arena where they can enjoy a fair gaming experience.

Rest assured that your comments about this very important issue have been shared with the appropriate departments within Nintendo for review.

Sincerely,

Marcie Mitchell
Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

Wow, I was under the impression that people didn't cheat in, say, the World Series of Poker, because measures are taken to ensure that it does not happen. Looks like Nintendo set me straight!

Cravis

goldenenergy said:
Thought you all might enjoy this.

I sent an email to Nintendo, just asking politely why they haven't been able to fix the online cheating in Mario Kart Wii.

This is the response I got:

Wow, I was under the impression that people didn't cheat in, say, the World Series of Poker, because measures are taken to ensure that it does not happen. Looks like Nintendo set me straight!
Fuck You Nintendo.

We should have all sent an email along the same lines to Nintendo when they released the firmware to block the Twilight Princess homebrew trick.

Some people have hacked the game to give them infinite items online. There may be other exploits, but I've only seen infinite items: infinite stars, bullets, blue shells, even infinite fake item boxes! Whatever the exploit is, it seems you can't change which item you have mid-game. I would bet it's a variable in the code that's hacked or in an illicit patch or something like that... anyone know?

ruffles

Nabster92 said:
JOIN OUR IRC ROOM. It's sooo much more convenient to set up games and be able to chat with everyone while playing. We're at:

channel #gaf_wfc

And for those too lazy to actually use an irc client. I think Blizzard said in the brawl thread this should work as well:

And I hear of this chatzilla thing working as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

And this is a direct link to the web base version:

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#gaf_sb
just type in your nick and you're set.

So NO EXCUSES! Maybe if we get enough of us in the channel we could make a new room that has a title more oriented around gaf_wfc or something rather than smash.

We're gonna play MK tonight at 9pm EST so if anyone wants in join the IRC

Milabrega

ruffles said:
We're gonna play MK tonight at 9pm EST so if anyone wants in join the IRC

Did you start yet I'm going to join. Also the IRC is #Gaf_Wfc not Gaf_Sb. Mibbit.com works great if anyone needs a browser based IRC client.

Milabrega

GG's tonight. We also had a great meltdown from a Gaf lurker who joined the irc and ended up finishing last in every race:

:lol said:
22:16 Vitamin_Kid you guys play mario kart like fucking four ur old g***** f******

22:16 Vitamin_Kid show some dignity at the least

22:17 Vitamin_Kid mk is meant for ppl who can't play it on the wii

22:17 Vitamin_Kid it gives everybody cheap shit to throw around and kill everybody with

22:19 Vitamin_Kid no i'm not playing mk with u guys, u guys show no racing respect out there

22:20 Vitamin_Kid u throw items around without even thinking

22:22 Vitamin_Kid and after yelling at u guys for playing mk i'm proally not going to be here much longer considreing it's annoying

22:22 Vitamin_Kid i'm just looking for ppl to play in brawl, which is a real game where it actually takes skill
22:23 *** Vitamin_Kid quit (Quit: Goodbye)

I bold'd two of my favorites :lol

Azure J

Ah damn, I missed out on the awesome. :(

I guess I'll catch you all in another tournament. Which reminds me, did I ever leave my Mario Kart Wii code in this thread? If not, it's 3824-0077-4126.

Top Bottom