• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Teknoman

I thought you guys stopped playing :lol Gotta jump back into the crazyness after my last final on Thursday.

Still havent unlocked all vehicles either.

ruffles said:
Come one, guys! Join the IRC. This games sells a shitload yet no one on GAF plays it.

I'm 180 miles away from my Wii, but on Saturday I'll be reunited with it... I'd love to have some games again with GAFfers over Christmas!

Threi

notag
Milabrega said:
GG's tonight. We also had a great meltdown from a Gaf lurker who joined the irc and ended up finishing last in every race:

I bold'd two of my favorites :lol
omg i missed that :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I still love Mario Kart Wii.. I hear they still have online tournaments, but I just don't have the time right now. I will occasionally play a few Grand Prix when I'm feeling it though. :D

swerve

EvilMario said:
I still love Mario Kart Wii.. I hear they still have online tournaments, but I just don't have the time right now. I will occasionally play a few Grand Prix when I'm feeling it though. :D

The online tournaments are *superb*, especially the pure time trial ones. MK:Wii started slowly for me but has become my most played game of 2008, and my co-favourite Mario Kart (alongside DS). Everything from the satisfying feeling of sliding a long corner, to the stunt boosts from a shake of the remote, to the non-stop pacing of each and every race course.

Had a randoms WFC match tonight for the first time in months and got a full game instantly, too. And bumped up my score which is rare :)

I am totally <3 MK right now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
swerve said:
The online tournaments are *superb*, especially the pure time trial ones. MK:Wii started slowly for me but has become my most played game of 2008, and my co-favourite Mario Kart (alongside DS). Everything from the satisfying feeling of sliding a long corner, to the stunt boosts from a shake of the remote, to the non-stop pacing of each and every race course.

It also helps that especially the new tracks give more escape fastening dash arrows than ever for blue-shells and the likes, weapons are also a lot more balanced.

4 players local is a fucking blast on 16:9 with a big-enough tv, and aside from the moon highway track the game looks lovely, Miis integration is a great addition too.

The online keeps me busy as few others PSX360 games do, luckily I don't mind the missing voice-chat support.

Game's fabulous :)

swerve

The new online challenge has launched, and it's a really fast run through Toad's Factory.

Three laps. No opponents. Many boost pads. Loads of ramps which are crucial to jump over new obstacles on the track. Easily as good as my previous favourite (coin grab in the mall).

Dash Kappei

ProfessorLobo said:
I haven't been paying attention to the online challenges. Can you do all of the past ones that you missed?

I'd like to know this as well.
Do you need the MK channel installed to do them (past and new ones)?

jrricky

Banned
ProfessorLobo said:
I haven't been paying attention to the online challenges. Can you do all of the past ones that you missed?
I dont think so, cause its a ranking thing for that month. I hope so though, IDK, cause I missed out on some.

swerve

No you can't re-do them. They're timed calendar-restricted events. They are likely to cycle them at some point though... although I've been expecting them to run out since about the fifth one and they keep on coming.

I *really* want to know if they're all on the disk and just 'unlocked', or if it's just that all the assets that are on the disk, and they assemble the courses and rules in small downloaded scripts.

Haunted

I'll just chime in to say that this is probably the most played game over the holidays in the house here, slightly edging out Wii Fit. (Thanks to visiting family, as you can imagine.)

swerve said:
No you can't re-do them. They're timed calendar-restricted events. They are likely to cycle them at some point though... although I've been expecting them to run out since about the fifth one and they keep on coming.

I *really* want to know if they're all on the disk and just 'unlocked', or if it's just that all the assets that are on the disk, and they assemble the courses and rules in small downloaded scripts.

That's kind of silly. And frustrating.

Dash Kappei

For the next Mario Kart something like this, @60fps 720p x 4 players locally + 10 npcs, will suffice, thanks Nintendo.

mario-kart-wii-artwork-20080313102036063_640w.jpg

Ogni-XR21

Well I'm a tad bit late to the party, I just got this game for my birthday.

The racing part is great, nothing to complain about. But WTF at how they ruined battle mode. I couldn't believe that they messed this up so bad it's really unplayable. Who decided to make all the battles team based? I honestly still can't believe this... This really could have been the perfect Mario Kart if they had just included a simple 4 people battle mode where everyone fights everyone, it's really no fun playing in teams at all. After 6 hours of non stop playing our game came to a screetching halt when we decided to give battle mode a try. We just sat there looking at each other with WTF faces.

[/rant]

Chris R

So I take it since all of you are playing online, a person that I know not being able to play online is something to do with their end? Even when the error code that pops up is an error code that might mean Nintendo's servers are acting up? Just trying to figure out why they can't get online and play, but they do see the times various people have done for ghost times, they just can't download the ghosts or play online... Or maybe it has to do with the fact they their internet connection is a 320/240 dsl line (ugh, so damn slow)

fatty

Need some advice, fellas. Some friends and I are getting together to play this as one of our "competition" games. Just wanted to get any tips and recommendations on things I may have overlooked that may have not been obvious, like going into a boost just as Lakitu drops you. Nothing is too small.

Any preferences on character, kart or bike?

Any good video or guide on basic shortcuts would also be great.

I also saw something in this thread about avoiding the blue turtle shell but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Anything, no matter how big or small, that you can give me would be appreciated. I plan on catching up on my playtime quite a bit this week. I'm thinking that playing normal grand prix on 150cc (and not online) would probably be best since that is how we'll be playing.

fatty said:
I also saw something in this thread about avoiding the blue turtle shell but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Activate a Mushroom just before the shell is about to drop downwards onto you. The problem is actually being in first place and having a mushroom.

Osuwari

fatty said:
Need some advice, fellas. Some friends and I are getting together to play this as one of our "competition" games. Just wanted to get any tips and recommendations on things I may have overlooked that may have not been obvious, like going into a boost just as Lakitu drops you. Nothing is too small.

Anything, no matter how big or small, that you can give me would be appreciated. I plan on catching up on my playtime quite a bit this week. I'm thinking that playing normal grand prix on 150cc (and not online) would probably be best since that is how we'll be playing.

-to get a speed boost as soon as lakitu drops you on the track, press A as soon as you touch the track.

-the best boost start can be made if you start holding the accelerator a tiny bit before the number 2 on screen starts to get bigger. the timing is very fickle so don't be discouraged if you can't do it consistently at first.

-to recover fast after getting hit, press accelerator+brake until a blue spark appears under your kart/bike and then release brake. with this, you can recover fast when using vehicles that accelerate slowly (high acceleration vehicles don't need this since they're faster accelerating normally)

-the fastest characters are Funky, Daisy and Baby Daisy for each respective weight class (heavy/medium/light). runner-ups in each class are Rosalina, Luigi and Baby Luigi (might be wrong on the last 2 since i barely use them). bikes are overall faster than karts because of wheelies and handle better. be sure to use inside drift bikes because the outside drift ones suck badly.

- here's a compilation of some of the fastest vids available with the best paths to take. for tracks with massive shortcuts, you might want to search for other vids in youtube.

- GP mode can be played with 1 player only but in VS mode you can play all 32 tracks in 1 shot with 4 players if you set up the rules correctly. you can also turn off items in local multiplayer. in online play, tracks are picked randomly from a set each player picks and you can't turn off items. you race in sets of 4 tracks always online but in local VS you can select how many tracks you want to play at a given time.

Teknoman

fatty said:

If you can control a bike and can perform wheelies with ease, you'll take the race. Of course thats barring any flying turtle shells smacking you in the back of the head. I prefer karts though.

Also I demand more GAF Mario Kart online races.

fatty

Thanks for all the tips, guys. So far I've been trying Toad with the Bullet and Mach Bikes and Peach with the Magikruiser (I think that was the one).

The Bullet bike turns very well but I couldn't really drift with it to get the mini-boost. When playing with Peach, she really gets a great boost from the mushroom items, to the point where I was bouncing too far on Mushroom Gorge and going over the mushrooms.

I need to look more into finding the differences between in/out drifts.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
- There's more to Auto vs. Manual than it may seem:

Automatic - Slightly higher top speed, cancel wheelies instantly by turning w/ analog stick only (sorry, wheel users)
Manual - Slightly lower top speed, hops, miniturbos, cancel wheelies instantly by hopping

If your vehicle has a low miniturbo rating, it may not even be worth using manual because the whole point of using manual is the miniturbo. Miniturbos play to your advantage on tracks with lots of opportunities to use them like Mario Circuit 3 or either jungle track. However, more straight tracks like Moonview Highway favor top speed, which you may be sacrificing by using a vehicle with a high miniturbo stat and using Manual.

Of course, bear in mind that you'll have to be able to remain competitive in nearly any track, so a vehicle like the Spear which can go faster than anything else actually has unacceptable handling and acceleration and will only help you win a handful of courses like, say, Luigi Circuit.

- Karts generally have slightly higher top speed ratings than their equivalent bikes, but those bikes are actually faster during a wheelie. In other words, if that front wheel isn't in the air often you aren't riding properly.

- Don't go too far out of your way to perform a trick. You'll lose more time in the detour than you'll make up for with the slight boost in speed. I'm thinking of the ramp before the river in Koopa Cape here and the sides of the figure-eight in Rainbow Road(UNLESS you minimize lift and trick straight forward there).

- Dragged items like banana peels won't defend against a side shell impact. Get close enough and off to the side so your red shell will hook over.

- If you have a star or a golden mushroom, take drastic shortcuts when possible. Following the track is a waste of an item unless you have somebody to ram.

- If you're neck and neck with somebody else, never underestimate the effectiveness of running them off the track.

- The moment you should start throttling is also indicated by the buzzer. Each beep has a 1-2 beat, and the start of the second 2 beat is when you should start. The closer you get to this point without being too soon will give you a greater starting boost. A wheelie will stack with this so perform the wheelie the instant the light turns green.

- Practice some form of meditation to keep your stress levels low because you WILL get punked in this game at some point or another, and it only gets worse the better you become.

Garcia

Wtf... today I had my first encounter with a cheater. That asshole started throwing green shells non stop. That's so fucked up. >:| ! !

Btw :)

1376 - 0434 - 0397

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Three (mirror mode) cups away from All Triple Star ranking. Mmm, so frustrating, but it will be so delicious.

Update: Haha.. after having not played in months, I knocked off two of my remaining Cups for triple stars. Only Star Cup Mirror Mode remains! Toughest for me on this is Bowser's Castle; there are so many opportunities to screw up yourself, and by items coming at you. Rainbow Road is similar, but I just have to take it slow and I'll have it eventually. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
And there we have it. Haha, wow. I am shocked that I just sat through it for a couple hours today and did it, after I have been at it for weeks when the game first came out. :lol

(thanks to DSi for the pictures)

3429844685_128d517efd.jpg

3429844637_b72be3b4eb.jpg

3430655918_d7f670529a.jpg

3430655982_02175cf0c7.jpg

Davey Cakes

mr stroke said:
just picked this up but not home for another week to play it :(
is there still a ton of people playing online?
A decent amount. It's not as easy to instantly get 12 racers like it was when the game first came out, but there are certainly still people playing.

PedroRVD

im willing to participate in some great races when we gather a lot of people here.

I love this game, I almost dont play online anymore, but I play A LOT offline with my friends.

Teknoman

PedroRVD said:
im willing to participate in some great races when we gather a lot of people here.

I love this game, I almost dont play online anymore, but I play A LOT offline with my friends.

GAF WFC IRC room is usually the place to be. One person suggests a race, next thing you know, we're up all night.

PedroRVD

thanks man, excuse me for this question....but im a little bit ignorant in the topic, can you explain me how I join you via IRC? which program to use...etc?

sorry if this has been asked a lot

thank you

Top Bottom