• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots TGS 2007 Thread -- HD Direct up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SamuraiX- said:
Right! That was it! I completely forgot. The same thing happened with Killzone 2 as well, huh?
That first Killzone trailer was actually pre-rendered CG.

I also don't think that first MGS4 trailer was anything much more impressive looking than the later trailers, yes it ran with no frame drops, but that was because they saved it frame-by-frame into a video file. I dont' think the devkit presentation was running completely as smooth as the full trailer was either.

KTallguy

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Portable Ops let you aim in first person and move at the same time, and you can hold down a trigger for ironsights on some guns. Not sure why it can't be like that.

Yea, I just think that if you're specifically in first person mode, you should have to fire from the iron sights. If you're moving than the gun should go down.

In MGS when you're firing you always move a bit slower, I think they should keep that tradition. If you're jogging around and shooting, technically you won't hit anything right? Then again MGS isn't all realism :p

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
mc10786.jpg

Ceb

Bebpo said:
Sony lied to developers about what the GPU could do, and that's why almost none of the tech demos match up from any developer.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up...

Or MAYBE, just maybe KojiPro realized that they'd have to go less nuts if they wanted to have their dozens of enemies on screen at the same time.

Bebpo, do you think Sony's lies about the GPU is also the reason why none of the characters' facial animations look as good as Snake's did in the TGS trailer? Or do you think it's because they were creating a demo, focusing on making everything impressive?

Or maybe switching out the much-talked about "horrible placeholder textures" cost too much performance-wise.

I can't believe someone hasn't figured out the discrepency yet. It's simply an issue of Memory bandwidth. The RSX only has 128-bit memory bandwidth. The 7800gtx's they used in the preliminery dev kits had 256-bit memory bandwidth. With twice the memory bandwidth, you can essentially have better lighting, anti-aliasing, antrioscopic filtering, motion blur, texturing, etc., etc.

They try to compensate for the loss of bandwidth to memory with a wide bus between Cell and RSX. This allows for copy/pasting of processed code between both pools of memory, but must take into account latency unlike a purely wider bus between RSX and video ram.

Both the 360 and the PS3 have only 128-bit buses on the GPUs because it simplifies the die shrinking process and cuts down on costs.

PS3 would have been an absolute monster (and produced graphics significantly better than any other system) had it just retained the 256-bit memory interface on RSX.

ThePeter

Moderation Unlimited said:
I can't believe someone hasn't figured out the discrepency yet. It's simply an issue of Memory bandwidth. The RSX only has 128-bit memory bandwidth. The 7800gtx's they used in the preliminery dev kits had 256-bit memory bandwidth. With twice the memory bandwidth, you can essentially have better lighting, anti-aliasing, antrioscopic filtering, motion blur, texturing, etc., etc.

They try to compensate for the loss of bandwidth to memory with a wide bus between Cell and RSX. This allows for copy/pasting of processed code between both pools of memory, but must take into account latency unlike a purely wider bus between RSX and video ram.

Both the 360 and the PS3 have only 128-bit buses on the GPUs because it simplifies the die shrinking process and cuts down on costs.

PS3 would have been an absolute monster (and produced graphics significantly better than any other system) had it just retained the 256-bit memory interface on RSX.
So you're telling me the MK-II is 128-bit in the year 2015?

Imm0rt4l

psycho_snake said:
I just looked through the MGS game script quickly and I couldnt find it, but I'll search for it properly later.

I believe you though. I checked on urbandictionary and it mentions that its called the eve project just like you said. People on other forums have also called it the eve project. The way i see it, thats a big indication that Eva is the mother of snake, liquid and solidus. Its too much of a coincidence that she was called eva and the les enfants terribles project was called the eve project.

yea definitely, kinda goes along with the whole Garden of Eden Allegory in MGS3, and the twin snakes being original sin.

Laurent

I've check everywhere on GameSpot and I haven't found anything relating the fact that Guns of the Patriots is 1080p... Anyone?

mgoVEX

I hope the interrogation conversations go deeper than "Speak!" and "Answer Me!" when pressing R3.

Those are nice, but i want to see some next-gen dynamic conversation question and answer sessions. Snake's replies need to match the information the soldier gives. Just a couple extra lines of dialogue can really show Snake's personality, mind state, or give another shade of depth to the plot, like in MGS3. I guess even something like "Tell me more!" or "You've lying!" would be alright replies, imo.

Hopefully something like this is already in there, anyone play the demo for themselves?

evilone

EA Employee
Dont know if this has been posted but.

Wednesday 26 September 2007 - on the Tokyo game show grant floor let gladly bring Hideo Kojima to be possible the performable Metal Gear Solid 4 to demo to the PlayStation Network. Although many PS3 owners became already terrible enthusiastic, Ryan Payton van Kojima Productions short let know afterwards that the team is interested in MGS4 a demo for the PSN, but that at this moment no plans for its.

Today we can again hope have, because in the last Kojima Podcast Payton let know that the team tomorrow will work for an English-speaking person version of MGS4 the demo. Since there for the release of MGS4, beginning 2008, no large gamesbeurs more state planned, there is goeie chance that the demo in the PlayStation store ends up.

Quote:
"All I can say are that as or tomorrow we're going to start working on the English demo."

http://www.ps3only.nl/nieuwsitem.php?nid=7035

ThirdEye

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I think the 2005 trailer was 720p while the current MGS4 is 1080p for some reason which made them rethink how they use available graphics resources to make it look the most impressive.

Laurent

evilone said:
Dont know if this has been posted but.

Wednesday 26 September 2007 - on the Tokyo game show grant floor let gladly bring Hideo Kojima to be possible the performable Metal Gear Solid 4 to demo to the PlayStation Network. Although many PS3 owners became already terrible enthusiastic, Ryan Payton van Kojima Productions short let know afterwards that the team is interested in MGS4 a demo for the PSN, but that at this moment no plans for its.

Today we can again hope have, because in the last Kojima Podcast Payton let know that the team tomorrow will work for an English-speaking person version of MGS4 the demo. Since there for the release of MGS4, beginning 2008, no large gamesbeurs more state planned, there is goeie chance that the demo in the PlayStation store ends up.

Quote:
"All I can say are that as or tomorrow we're going to start working on the English demo."

http://www.ps3only.nl/nieuwsitem.php?nid=7035

Thank you! This news have made my day!!

New interview with Ryan.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25891.html

Something interesting he brings up that I haven't heard mentioned before is that since not everyone has played the MGS games before in certain cutscenes a circle button will appear in the corner of the screen and if you hold it a flashback scene will happen from a previous MGS game to give you more insight on what all that means.

SolidSnakex said:
New interview with Ryan.

Something interesting he brings up that I haven't heard mentioned before is that since not everyone has played the MGS games before in certain cutscenes a circle button will appear in the corner of the screen and if you hold it a flashback scene will happy from a previous MGS game to give you more insight on what all that means.

That's brilliant

Mentions that you have to unlock the PMC weapons by bringing them to Drebin and paying him a fee. I suppose that hints at some sort of monetary system in MGS4, possibly a reward for holding up guards? And still no final decision on the release date, between January and March it is though.

Zeed

Banned
By the way, the latest Smash Bros. Brawl update seems to indicate that there's going to be a third, new major model of Metal Gear appearing (presumably) in MGS4:

stage13_071002d-l.jpg

Metal Gear REX!

stage13_071002e-l.jpg

Metal Gear RAY!

Apparently one other kind appears, too. It’s supposedly a slightly newer model.
Keep in mind that the stage where these appear was designed by Hideo Kojima himself.

TEH-CJ

Banned

nvm.

and true that :(

vpance

200 people working on the game, holy fuck how big is the budget on this thing.

The pressure on Konami to have this thing sell big to profit must be huge.

Zeed said:
By the way, the latest Smash Bros. Brawl update seems to indicate that there's going to be a third, new major model of Metal Gear appearing (presumably) in MGS4:

Keep in mind that the stage where these appear was designed by Hideo Kojima himself.

Holy shit! the video looks amazing:D I need this game now!

Zeed said:
Scroll down and check out the codec conversations if you really want to fangasm.

AHHAHAHA!! Oh God thats insane! :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SolidSnakex said:
New interview with Ryan.

Something interesting he brings up that I haven't heard mentioned before is that since not everyone has played the MGS games before in certain cutscenes a circle button will appear in the corner of the screen and if you hold it a flashback scene will happen from a previous MGS game to give you more insight on what all that means.
Yea, I fapped.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SolidSnakex said:
New interview with Ryan.

Like WOAH!

Zeed said:

Son of a....dammit, I'm going have to get this game just for this. I have no will power!!

Bebpo

Banned
heh, I've never played a Smash Bros game before and I had zero interest in picking up this new one until I saw that MGS stage breakdown.

Now I have to play it :(

diunxx

SolidSnakex said:
New interview with Ryan.

best use of the blue ray yet:D :D

Bebpo said:
heh, I've never played a Smash Bros game before and I had zero interest in picking up this new one until I saw that MGS stage breakdown.

Now I have to play it :(

I'm almost the same, though I have played them but not much so I'm quite terrible at it, it's damn hard trying to shake my more traditional fighting game mechanics ingrained into from the past decade.

DrBo42

:lol They're just idiots and wrote Otacon instead of Octocam. Freak out less. Young Snake in the trailer was simply Old Snake with the Octocam mask on. Before he turns into the statue you can see the white hair coming out the back of his mask. MGS fans will freak out over anything. Young Snake is NOT a new character. Whether or not this game has a timeline and you start out looking like you did in MGS2 is another subject completely.

If snake has the recessive genes, he should have blond hair. Blode hair = recessive. Brown-dark hair = dominant. Same thing with the eyes.
Unless liquid just dyed his hair blond. Maybe they both originally had brown hair.

Imm0rt4l

GeneralIroh said:
If snake has the recessive genes, he should have blond hair. Blode hair = recessive. Brown-dark hair = dominant. Same thing with the eyes.
Unless liquid just dyed his hair blond. Maybe they both originally had brown hair.

yea, I always found that odd. But in MGS1, during the briefing Solid Snake had long hair, and it was significantly lighter. At the end of the briefing, he cut his hair, don't know if he dyed it as well, but he didn't want to look like liquid. In Twin snakes, I believe he had dark hair in the briefing though.

SolidSnakex said:
New interview with Ryan.

That is honestly one of the coolest things I have ever heard.

Darkpen

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Actually, if you were playing attention to the videos of people playing the game, you would've noticed the little O icon during cutscenes that triggered flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom