• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Finally got a PlayStation 3 and I've been playing through the only main Metal Gear title I've never played (well aside from Peace Walker which I didn't enjoy).

-The gameplay is almost identical to MGS3, though with less fumbling like a madman with camo. I must admit, I prefer the simplicity of MGS1 and MGS2, but it's not a big deal.

-David Hayter is Snake, especially Solid Snake. Good to hear him and everyone else from the original game who's still around. I don't care if it's cheesy, it works.

-The lack of the main Metal Gear theme is disappointing. [/URL] Shame it was copied. MGS1 and MGS2 did a lot better in the music department though, with very good electronic and ambient tracks. I don't feel MGS4 has quite the oomph that the soundtracks of those games had. Stuff like this and this

-Nanomachines are overtaking what was originally a movie thriller story about political espionage.

-The MGS1 dream sequence at the start of Chapter 4 is a great touch. Pretty sure it uses the PS3's built-in emulator there.

-Kind of surprised they used the Twin Snakes voices for all the flashbacks on
Shadow Moses Island
, but it makes sense, as Naomi and Mei Ling's non-American accents are completely gone in this game. Naomi at the very least having the same voice actress makes it less jarring though. Greg Eagles was a far, far creepier/better Cyborg Ninja though, but the voice clips use the new actor in The Twin Snakes. Wikipedia said they went with the Twin Snakes voice clips because a soundproof studio was used, but still.

-Being able to use the pressure sensitive buttons of the Dualshock 3 to alter the zoom in cutscenes and the codec pleases me.

All in all a great game and clearly the last time Kojima really wanted to do an MGS game in terms of story and world-building, especially with Solid Snake. I've already seen the ending and it's simply perfect. MGSV may have improved the gameplay, but it lacks the heart of MGS1-MGS4

tumblr_mamy9hxML71rb8fpgo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

And Naomi is incredible in MGS4.

VDenter

Banned
Next to Other M this is my biggest gaming disappointment. Hated 90% of the experience and just what this game did to the rest of the series both for the future entries and retroactively to the previous games.

Kolibri

The return to Shadow Moses ranks as one of my most memorable moments in gaming history.

The way the music starts up as you begin to see the dock emerging from the snow...... Fuck me.

Like MGS 5, I both love and hate it immensely. It provides an ending the series didn't want or need, but it was a fascinating ride nonetheless.

Edit: to expand on the above, 3 should have been the last entry if only for Kojima to say "I know how to make the amazing MGS sequel you think you needed, I just didn't want to."

The only metal gear game I've yet to play (aside from MG2, which I need to get to), yet one of my favorites to watch.

MGO2 looked like an absolute blast

BROTHER! ITS BEEN TOO LONG

The return to Shadow Moses ranks as one of my most memorable moments in gaming history.

The way the music starts up as you begin to see the dock emerging from the snow...... Fuck me.

I'm a weird, weird man. My first Metal Gear game was MGS4. It was what introduced me to the series. I really wish that was not the case, as this moment would have had such a bigger impact on me.

Roufianos

There was a point where I couldn't stand some of the nonsensical twists but over the years I've learned not to take the story so seriously. Lots of drama and emotion, unlike V.

It's probably my favourite entry after 1 and 3.

liquidtmd

Banned
It was a good overall experience but that took me a while to come around to. I'm not sure it's a great overall game, though many points the OP raises ring true.

Felt the end of an era. A disappointing narrative follow up MGS2 though for me personally but as an overall package, MGS 1-4 summarised a golden era in my gaming life.

MGSV - not for me.

kunonabi

I played it right before MGSV came out for the first time.

I don't know what you people are smoking because I thought it was easily the worst MG title and just completely awful all around.

It seriously confuses me that it was so well-received. Most other popular titles that I don't care for I can at least make an educated guess as to why other people are enjoying them or chalk it up to differences in taste but not MGS4.

Maybe I'm the one on something.

Solidpanic

Neo Member
I remember buying a PS3 just for this game and playing it over and over again. The game may not be the greatest or my favorite Metal Gear game, but man did it leave a lasting impression.

Pancake Mix

Like MGS 5, I both love and hate it immensely. It provides an ending the series didn't want or need, but it was a fascinating ride nonetheless.

Edit: to expand on the above, 3 should have been the last entry if only for Kojima to say "I know how to make the amazing MGS sequel you think you needed, I just didn't want to."

Well after 4 it's clear he focused on gameplay and and unfortunately boring base building only.

So I think in a way he was saying that. He wanted to make amazing action games, but he clearly lost his passion for the original concept of the Metal Gear franchise.

But with the Metal Gear name attached, Konami at the time was willing to give him the money and resources to get those gameplay-focused games done.

Good storytelling ends with MGS4.

Horrible game with barely coherent gameplay that never really comes together and a focus on tying up a hot mess of an anime story. Kojima thinks he's so clever with all that PMC shit when reallyit's an incredibly shallow story bloated up to the point of obesity.

MBS

Banned
The defining game of the 6th gen. The freedom given to the player, regarding the progress of each objective is unique to any other game, plus the story is bizzare, provocative, touching and over the top at the same time. They really need to remaster it on PS4.

Pancake Mix

The defining game of the 6th gen. The freedom given to the player, regarding the progress of each objective is unique to any other game, plus the story is bizzare, provocative, touching and over the top at the same time. They really need to remaster it on PS4.

I bet it's a lot of work.

Game was designed around the Cell like Naughty Dog's games.

If they could guarantee huge sales again I bet they'd remaster, but as it stands it was probably the last huge third-party exclusive.

Peroroncino

They need to remaster the whole series on PS4, with the exception of the best MGS game which they should just remake.

of course I'm talking about MGS3

Till this day I can't say which is my favorite MGS, if it's this one or 2. Anyway, I finished this game like 20x, the Ocelot cutscene from the gif in the OP is one of the best ever in any video-game imo.

Pancake Mix

They need to remaster the whole series on PS4, with the exception of the best MGS game which they should just remake.

of course I'm talking about MGS3

Why does everyone want MGS3 remade? It still looks and feels great remastered, like most games that gen.

Metal Gear or MGS1 needs the remake treatment.

Jawmuncher

My least liked MGS game. Ended up in total fanfic Tier since he felt he had to close everything and without Fukushima keeping him on a leash he went too far out.

The epilogue still stands as one of the worst game endings of all time for me.

xviper

a masterpiece and the best way to end a legendary series

as much as i love MGS V, it would have been for the best if the series would have stopped after 4

MGS V should have been a spin-off like MGR

sotojuan

Why does everyone want MGS3 remade? It still looks and feels great remastered, like most games that gen.

Metal Gear or MGS1 needs the remake treatment.

People these days aren't happy if games are not in 4k 60fps ultra HD 3D. I agree MGS3 HD looks fine. Maybe port it to PS4 or PC since there won't be any BC for PS3.

If Konami and Kojima were back in their prime, a MG1 and 2 (the games before MGS) remake would be awesome.

MGS1 would be a remaster - the controls need to be kept the same because if they "modernized" them the game becomes too easy (see Twin Snakes).

Cess007

Personally, I loved it. it was everything I wanted for a MGS next-gen and then some. But I can see why some people really hated it.

Still leagues better than MGS5.

Honestly i'd say the series should have ended there but then I also loved Peace Walker.
4 is definitely what i'd like to have remembered the series going out on.

sotojuan

So to elaborate why I didn't like this game: Not enough game.

The way I see it we have:

- Parts 1 and 2

Sneaking trough war. Pretty cool idea, but I still prefer sneaking indoors like 1 or 2. I think these part are decent and a good intro, though. Cool boss fights.

- Part 3

Following some guy through an empty city with soldiers sprinkled around. Not fun, not challenging, annoying if you accidentally lose him. Action part in the motorbike is cool... but it'd be better if it was sneaking instead. What's frustrating was that the idea (sneaking to Big Momma) is good, but execution is bad. Okay boss fight.

- Part 4

Finally sneaking! And in Shadow Moses! But... all the enemies are robots. Cool boss fight at the end but it can take a little too long. Raiden/Vamp part was interesting. Metal Gear part was fun but again, it's there instead of more sneaking.

- Part 5

Good stealth portion but it's short and once you get to the Psycho Mantis fight it's basically just the end I think.

All of this with 8 hours of cutscenes in between. Just massively underwhelming after the brutal corridors in MGS2 in Extreme and sneaking in the jungle in 3. I guess I don't dislike it as much as I think I do but eh. Better than what came afterwards at least.

Sad thing about MGS4 is just knowing we will never get something like that again.

It was the end of the series, Konami gave Kojima all the time and money he wanted and Kojima went absolutely crazy with it.
sadly the technical limitations were the only real holdbacks.

Pancake Mix

MGSV was the best gift after the Cutscene Heavy 4

But all of MGS is cutscene heavy, expect Peace Walker and V.

It's just how MGS was. Sure, they were shorter in 1 and longer in 4, but MGS was all about story told through cutscenes. You either love it or hate it.

Jawmuncher

It's just how MGS was. Sure, they were shorter in 1 and longer in 4, but MGS was all about story told through cutscenes. You either love it or hate it.

Nah. When you compare MGS1, 2, and 3 to 4 you see just how out of whack it is curscene wise. Especially when including the cutscenes you can watch while in the plane.

MGS is still one of my favorite series. But 4 took the whole "MGS has a lot of cutscenes" to another level. In the earlier games the cutscenes were a reward. In 4 the cutscenes were the only way kojima could pad out his game.

sotojuan

MGS 1, 2, and 3 are cutscene heavy compared to other games. 4 is cutscene heavy compared to other MGS games. Kojima went a bit overboard with the Blu-Ray storage capacity.

Ray Down

Banned

Not as bad as 4!

The ratio between gameplay to cutscene or what have you is way way worse.

I swear that game can ramble about nothing for 10 minutes and people will just excuse it, blah.

Nah. When you compare MGS1, 2, and 3 to 4 you see just how out of whack it is curscene wise. Especially when including the cutscenes you can watch while in the plane.

MGS is still one of my favorite series. But 4 took the whole "MGS has a lot of cutscenes" to another level. In the earlier games the cutscenes were a reward. In 4 the cutscenes were the only way kojima could pad out his game.

Agreed - at the end of the day I love MGS4 for what it is, but there are whole chapters (ie. 4) that consist almost entirely of cutscenes. It's mind-boggling.

Top Bottom