• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL October thread - where fashion is sent to die!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
15s6mtv.gif

Reebok = Ridiculous. If I can't come up with a decent comeback when the hoi polloi crack jokes about the Vancouver Vancouvers, you know somebody fucked up bigtime. I'm pissed off, but whatever. MOVING ON

Can Anaheim recover from stumbling out of the gate on Bettman's European Adventure?

What's the over/under on Jarome Iginla pulling a Latrell Sprewell and attempting to slice Mike Keenan's throat during a regulation game? 2 months? 3?

Will Kevin Lowe make a qualifying offer to Michael Vick in a desperate attempt to lure a name - any name - to the godforsaken hinterland known as Deadmonton?

Roberto Luongo - greatest living goalie or greatest goalie ever? Our panel of experts weigh in

Did Bill Wirtz actually specify that his body should be wrapped in used wax paper before cremation in an Earl's pizza oven during business hours, or did his spendthrift ways accidentally bleed over into his funeral arrangements?

Cheerleaders in the NHL - thongs, miniskirts, or nothing at all? Our panel of experts weigh in

How fucked is Steve Downie's burgeoning NHL career? A "the cherry's popped and there's a bit of blood, but you'll be okay after this" fucked, or a Shawshank-style "cast down amongst the sodomites" fucked?

Does anybody seriously think that Marc Crawford is going to let a rookie goalie carry his team? Anyone?

The American Psychiatric Association defines Turcosexuality as somebody who attains sexual release by choking away during big moments. In associated news, will Barrage win his upcoming discrimination lawsuit?

Is it possible for John Ferguson, Jr. to make a dumber trade than the Mark Bell fiasco? How does Toskala go down four-zip to the Red Wings in pre-season and yet still be named the Hottest Leaf of the Night? Why does Leafs Nation continue to buy tickets to watch this band of misfits? How many pictures of hot chicks that he's claimed boning will ForzaItalia post this season?

Will Montreal fans continue sniping at Toronto fans in this thread while the rest of us cackle with glee? Is this the year Latendresse finally fulfills his destiny as the next Great Power Forward?

Ottawa...who cares?

BigJonsson said:
Leafs go!
MLSE and the Toronto Maple Leafs have announced that they have proudly acquired goaltender Tim Thomas from the Boston Bruins in exchange for the first 'go' in what was formerly, "go leafs go" and a second round draft pick. Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr. held a conference with Toronto media this morning, declaring his pleasure of acquiring a player who is sure to be a starting goaltender for seasons to come.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
:lol @ bishoptl

GO OILERS GO!

edit: Welp - looks like my GAF fantasty team is ranked #1. it's all downhill from here on out, seriously.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
:lol great start bish.

for those wondering, attendance is shit and the preds will be in kansas city next year

bishoptl said:
Roberto Luongo - greatest living goalie or greatest goalie ever? Our panel of experts weigh in
Did you see that glove hand last night in the 2nd period? Oh, yes, there is little doubt about who the Messiah is.

Osorio

Second Ducks v Kings game is about to start. This time it's on Versus and since I have Versus HD I'm good to go.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Is it in HD anywhere in Canada? Or do I have to watch it in crappy SD on the NHL network?

Osorio

It's not even an HD broadcast. This sucks. Well at least it's on TV.

Btw having your team start with a 9 game road trip sucks balls. At least it comes to an end with a home opener at a new arena.

bishoptl said:
How many pictures of hot chicks that he's claimed boning will ForzaItalia post this season?

Will Montreal fans continue sniping at Toronto fans in this thread while the rest of us cackle with glee? Is this the year Latendresse finally fulfills his destiny as the next Great Power Forward?

:lol

Thank God for women and hockey!!!

Wolf

GO HABS GO
So the Habs looked pretty good overall this pre-seas, I'm pleased with the performance of a lot of the players that are going to have to step it up to improve this team this year.

Plekanec, Streit, and my personal favorite young guy Andrei Kostitsyn have all had solid camps and hopefully it carries onto season play.

Higgins is going to be counted on this year to produce, instead of being a pleasant surprise, so I'll cross my fingers for an injury free year, and Ryder should be good for another 25+ goals.

Huet looks ready to go, and as we approach tomorrow's cuts, I think it's safe to say Price will he heading back down with Halak grabbing the backup position. At this point I would say Halak is the man you want with the big club, no need to stunt Price's growth when you can have him getting full time experience with the Bulldogs.

Overall everything looks good to go and I can't wait for Wednesday.

Osorio said:
Btw having your team start with a 9 game road trip sucks balls. At least it comes to an end with a home opener at a new arena.

Well if you look at the positives it should give the team a chance to bond on the road for a bit and get comfortable with the new faces and coaching regime. Plus it's not like the Devils are swinging out west, a couple trips up and down the East coast and road games against the Atlantic division (the most geographically compacted one in the league).

The Devs have looked good this pre-season too, Sutter doesn't seem to have any fear of shaking things up to improve the lines. The 27th can't get here fast enough.

Osorio

KilledByBill said:
Well if you look at the positives it should give the team a chance to bond on the road for a bit and get comfortable with the new faces and coaching regime. Plus it's not like the Devils are swinging out west, a couple trips up and down the East coast and road games against the Atlantic division (the most geographically compacted one in the league).

The Devs have looked good this pre-season too, Sutter doesn't seem to have any fear of shaking things up to improve the lines. The 27th can't get here fast enough.
Yeah I've been impressed by Rachunek and Green on D.

Do you know when single game tickets become available? I want to be there the 27th and I know the $10 and $20 tickets won't be around too long.

Osorio said:
Do you know when single game tickets become available? I want to be there the 27th and I know the $10 and $20 tickets won't be around too long.

Yeah they finally announced individual tickets go on sale Friday, October 12th. Practically my whole family wants to go but I know it's going to be a mad rush for the opener.

Go Devils!

95vubn.jpg

Osorio

KilledByBill said:
Yeah they finally announced individual tickets go on sale Friday, October 12th. Practically my whole family wants to go but I know it's going to be a mad rush for the opener.

Go Devils!

95vubn.jpg
I'm just happy I can take public transportation and not pay for parking. Not to mention that there should be plenty of sellouts this year.

Btw where's that picture from?

wolywood

bishoptl said:
Ottawa...who cares?

...I'm sorry, did you say something? Must have been distracted by the dazzling glow of the Prince of Wales trophy :D

Ottawa will take the NE crown back from the Buffalo "Et tu Daniel?" Sabres this season. Whether they can duplicate their finals run will depend in large part on a) goaltending b) players like Vermette, Eaves, Kelly finally living up to their offensive potential c) goaltending d) Pittsburgh and e) someone being able to keep Dany Heatley from drifting off into $15 million/year contract with St. Louis wet dreams after the regular season is done.

epik

Event: Bryan McCabe free puck giveaways on October 3rd vs Ottawa!
Where: Air Canada Centre Ice! (During the Game Only!)
Time: 7:30-10:00 PM EST

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

Alucard

Banned
Sullenshady said:
...I'm sorry, did you say something? Must have been distracted by the dazzling glow of the Prince of Wales trophy :D

Ottawa will take the NE crown back from the Buffalo "Et tu Daniel?" Sabres this season. Whether they can duplicate their finals run will depend in large part on a) goaltending b) players like Vermette, Eaves, Kelly finally living up to their offensive potential c) goaltending d) Pittsburgh and e) someone being able to keep Dany Heatley from drifting off into $15 million/year contract with St. Louis wet dreams after the regular season is done.

I dunno why people are thinking the Pens will finish second this year. Practically every team in the East is pretty scary and promising.

Osorio

Alucard said:
I dunno why people are thinking the Pens will finish second this year. Practically every team in the East is pretty scary and promising.
Atlantic division is some tough shit this year.

Karakand

Who needs Bryz when you have JONAS HILLER.

Wolf said:
and my personal favorite young guy Andrei Kostitsyn
May we put aside our differences and share in the love of the Navapolatsk Nightmare, Wolf?

Osorio said:
Oh please, I'm sure Vancouver would gladly trade travel schedules with New Jersey. Given that Vancouver is the #1 in length traveled year in and year out.

Karakand

Oh yeah, so after the game today I think it's safe to say that when the Ducks want to play well they're still a high level team. They're not an unstoppable juggernaut like last season's squad, but baring some catastrophe I don't see them missing the playoffs. They really need to work on that discipline thing though, with the old men gone they're a lot less likely to work their way out of deficits produced by the tons of stupid penalties they take. Unless of course Bobby Ryan accepts that he is the one true superstar of his draft class (and generation of players) this season, but I think he's slow rolling all of us for the time being.

KilledByBill said:

Go Devils!

95vubn.jpg

You can tell they're just there for show and aren't real Devils fans since they don't have their pillows with them.

Phthisis

bishoptl said:
Does anybody seriously think that Marc Crawford is going to let a rookie goalie carry his team? Anyone?

*raises hand*

Going without Bernier means the Kings will end the year with another top 5 pick in the draft, and that will be an absolute crime for the team, which is much better than that.

Going with Bernier means a serious shot at both a playoff spot and almost-guaranteed Calder Trophy consideration.

calder

I just can't believe Bernier is going to be in the NHL at christmas. He has one stretch of bad games (a near inevitability for any rookie, nevermind a teenage goalie) and he'll be back in junior or in the A. The risks of leaving him up with the Kings far, FAR outweigh the benefits of having him around.

is crawford not the man who stuck with Cloutier all those years? i dont think he will have any problems starting Bernier.

Phthisis

Kabuki Waq said:
is crawford not the man who stuck with Cloutier all those years? i dont think he will have any problems starting Bernier.

The day Cloutier was sent to the minors, there was a
figurative
party in the streets of LA.

Latenstiff getting ripped for being a goon:

“Hopefully, it sets a precedent and sends a message,” retired veteran Rob DiMaio told TSN. “If this kid (Downie) is going to be any kind of player and play a long time in the league, this is the best thing for him. It's only 20 games and he can get on with his career and hopefully learn something from it. It could be the best thing that ever happened to him. It's these young kids coming into our league who don't seem to get it, who want to hit to hurt.”

DiMaio feels as though he has personal experience on that front and his story is interesting, in terms of where the NHL is today compared to a year ago today on this subject.

On Sept. 26, 2006 – a year less a day from when Downie tagged McAmmond – Montreal Canadiens rookie Guillame Latendresse drilled DiMao into the boards. DiMaio's head struck the glass, he suffered a concussion and has not played a game since then. His career is over but he still has constant headaches.

Latendresse received a five-minute major for boarding in that pre-season game. There was no supplementary discipline. No suspension. Nothing.

Latendresse's hit wasn't identical to Downie's, but…

He hit an unsuspecting player.

He hit him late.

If he didn't target the head, it was done recklessly into the boards with the end result being DiMaio's head forcefully striking the boards.

And it most certainly resulted in injury.

Last week, DiMaio was watching pre-season hockey highlights when he saw Latendresse hit Pittsburgh's Ryan Whitney into the boards from behind. DiMaio was not happy.

“(Latendresse) is one of those young guys who has come into the league and is part of the problem,” DiMaio said. “These guys play with reckless abandon. They hit to hurt. There is no regard or respect at all.”

One would like to think if the Latendresse hit occurred today, it would result in a hefty suspension, certainly more than the five-minute major he got a year ago.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
ForzaItalia said:
Who the hell is this Elliott dude in the nets for Ottawa?

Played for Wisconsin where in about 70 games he had 1.80gaa and .930 sv%. Was also the best goalie in 05-06 in the NCAA and a Hobey Baker finalist, that part I didn't need to search. :lol Hopefully a future number one unless Emery improves alot.

Karakand

ForzaItalia said:
Latenstiff getting ripped for being a goon:
It's impossible to seriously consider a man that has dress in his surname as being a goon.

Burke probably has a 5 year, $25 million dollar contract lined up for him.

Osorio

Shalashaska said:
Oh please, I'm sure Vancouver would gladly trade travel schedules with New Jersey. Given that Vancouver is the #1 in length traveled year in and year out.
That has nothing to do with not being able to see your team until almost a month after the season starts.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
ForzaItalia said:
Are fans in Ottawa not sold on Emery? I personally like his cocky approach and think he's pretty good...

He's good but not elite since his lateral movement is horrible at times. The team seems to have confidence in him but I don't. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom