• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL October thread - where fashion is sent to die!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I can't wait till Wednesday! It's probably gonna be the same old story with the Leafs being blown out though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
bishoptl said:
Roberto Luongo - greatest living goalie or greatest goalie ever? Our panel of experts weigh in
That the Panthers gave up Louie is the NHL equivilant of the Red Sox giving up Babe Ruth to the Yankees for cash and a bucket of balls.

d. sedin - h. sedin - pyatt
naslund - kesler - raymond
cooke - morrison - shannon
cowan / isbister - ritchie / burrows - linden

mitchell - bieksa
ohlund - krajicek
miller - salo(mciver, edler)

luongo
sanford

i like the canucks lineup. we may switch shannon with the sedins to see how that works, but over all it's a reasonably good team that only lacks a top 6 winger. i doubt raymond is ready to fill that spot, but hopefully him and kesler can give naslund some kind of youth spark and light the lamps. also, the cooke / morrison / kesler line seemed to work pretty well in a game so we might see that.

defense is solid as usual. i'm looking at bieksa to be even better and sexier than last year, and hopefully ohlund will be top notch now that he isn't playing injured. miller will give us some good experience and seems pretty great at blocking shots, and mciver and edler are great rookies who can step into the lineup at any time.

luongo is luongo. sanford impressed me and i feel a lot more comfortable with him in net over sabourin.

morrison is the most over paid 3rd line center in the league.

all in all we have a very interchangeable team that has more potential to score than last years team, and plenty of players like isbister and burrows who shift into the line up when we need some grit.

*** hey ho, just saw an interview with alain where he said raymond is slotted to play with the sedins. WOO HOOO i didn't think he'd do it.

XiaNaphryz said:
ESPN's first set of Power Rankings are up.

1. San Jose Sharks
2. New York Rangers
3. Detroit Red Wings
4. Ottawa Senators
5. Anaheim Ducks
6. Pittsburgh Penguins
7. Calgary Flames
8. Colorado Avalanche
9. Buffalo Sabres
10. Vancouver Canucks
11. Minnesota Wild
12. Nashville Predators
13. New Jersey Devils
14. Florida Panthers
15. Atlanta Thrashers
16. Dallas Stars
17. Toronto Maple Leafs
18. St. Louis Blues
19. Montreal Canadiens
20. Philadelphia Flyers
21. New York Islanders
22. Tampa Bay Lightning
23. Carolina Hurricanes
24. Los Angeles Kings
25. Washington Capitals
26. Chicago Blackhawks
27. Boston Bruins
28. Columbus Blue Jackets
29. Edmonton Oilers
30. Phoenix Coyotes

Rangers are too low.

OK dudes...this year we all have to get together somewhere in Toronto and cheer on our beloved Leafs while you do likewise with your respective teams....Habs...Sens...Sabres...or any other lame team out there...

Osorio

twinturbo2 said:
Are you talking about the Panthers or Marlins?

Yeah, but as a Dol-Phan, rooting for sucky South Florida sports teams is getting to me. At least there's NASCAR...
Rooting for sucky teams is what makes you a fan. Is how the team plays that important to you? Or am I in the minority here?

Osorio said:
Rooting for sucky teams is what makes you a fan. Is how the team plays that important to you? Or am I in the minority here?

I can see both sides. Nothing is more frustrating than cheering on your loser team as management does nothing to improve it and continues to pocket money. Conversely, nothing is sweeter than cheering on your sucky team and watching them improve as the bandwagon grows and grows...

TemplaerDude said:
d. sedin - h. sedin - pyatt
naslund - kesler - raymond
cooke - morrison - shannon
cowan / isbister - ritchie / burrows - linden

mitchell - bieksa
ohlund - krajicek
miller - salo(mciver, edler)

luongo
sanford
Morrison needs to play with Naslund. Hard for Naslund to score with Ryan 'Hands of Stone' Kesler and with a rookie.

Can't wait for all the complaining about Naslund this year even though he'll be playing with junk again.

Osorio

Karakand said:
When a team's bad the victories are that much sweeter.
Amen my dude. (Even though Man City isn't bad this year. Lucky bitch...)

I just don't understand how you can be a fan when your team is doing well and once they've hit a rough stretch you pretend they don't exist.

Mi equipo hasta la muerte!

Karakand

Don't worry, either they'll win the Premiership and get relegated the next season even though they scored over a 100 goals or this is like the stretch when they had Bell which means I get to look forward to them being terrible for the rest of my natural life after the ride is over.

Shalashaska said:
Morrison needs to play with Naslund. Hard for Naslund to score with Ryan 'Hands of Stone' Kesler and with a rookie.

Can't wait for all the complaining about Naslund this year even though he'll be playing with junk again.

morrison is the most ineffective center on earth. i'd rather see naslund play with someone else other than brendan "3.2 million dollars of useless" morrison.

Osorio

Karakand said:
Don't worry, either they'll win the Premiership and get relegated the next season even though they scored over a 100 goals or this is like the stretch when they had Bell which means I get to look forward to them being terrible for the rest of my natural life after the ride is over.
Well enjoy the season while I'm biting my nails for Bolton to finish 17th.

To keep this hockey related, the Devils want Danny Markov after Colin White is out needing eye surgery. I think we have just enough salary cap room to get him but it'd be tight.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Markov would fit in great with the Devils system imo and would it really be the salary cap era if the Devils weren't pulling some crazy ass maneuver to get under the cap?

Osorio

sefskillz said:
Markov would fit in great with the Devils system imo and would it really be the salary cap era if the Devils weren't pulling some crazy ass maneuver to get under the cap?
I agree I'd love Markov on the team which would make me feel comfortable about the D in front of Marty. Rachunek and Greene together has been great in the preseason.

In Lou we trust

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Came home not to long ago, completely forgot today was the cuts. This Price scenario really surprised me, no doubt about it, but only because of how good of a goalie Jaroslav Halak had shown he could be.

I'm not going to lie, I personally would have kept Price down this year, but I guess when you have goaltender depth like Montreal does hard decision's have to be made, and you really can't go wrong in giving the edge to your possible franchise goalie.

Anyways as usual Bob Mckenzie hits the nail on the head regarding the Habs this year

The Canadiens are an interesting team. Most pundits are predicting a big slide for Montreal but they have some exciting youngsters with speed who could surprise. Tomas Plekanec looks to be emerging a point-producing pivot and Andrei Kostitsyn and Mikahil Grabovski are going to figure prominently for the Canadiens. Grabovski is lightning quick; Kostitsyn is being touted for a breakthrough year of 20 or more goals. The jury is out on Montreal but if the kids can play, especially the notable one in net, the Canadiens may surprise a few people.

Karakand

I totally forgot about Grabovski. The Habs should go after Ruslan Salei and make themselves the Belarus to the Red Wings' Sweden.

ForzaItalia said:
OK dudes...this year we all have to get together somewhere in Toronto and cheer on our beloved Leafs while you do likewise with your respective teams....Habs...Sens...Sabres...or any other lame team out there...

Wegz!

Although thats in Vaugan, not Toronto
But its awesome

TemplaerDude said:
morrison is the most ineffective center on earth. i'd rather see naslund play with someone else other than brendan "3.2 million dollars of useless" morrison.
Brendan Morrison only scored 9 less points than Scott '7.35 million dollars' Gomez and 8 less than '7 million dollars' Drury. Morrison is no longer an overpaid player.

And Morrison had more points last year than Kesler does in his entire career.

Shalashaska said:
Brendan Morrison only scored 9 less points than Scott '7.35 million dollars' Gomez and 8 less than '7 million dollars' Drury. Morrison is no longer an overpaid player.

And Morrison had more points last year than Kesler does in his entire career.

gomez makes the players around him BETTER.

morrison gets injured and "gets our pity" while cashing in a depressingly low point total for his salary and position.

May16

Karakand said:
I totally forgot about Grabovski. The Habs should go after Ruslan Salei and make themselves the Belarus to the Red Wings' Sweden.
I've always wanted to see the league get a few Irish and Scottish guys with big beards and who fight a lot, but never fight each other. Instead, it's just like that scene in Braveheart where the Irish charge the Scottish, but then stop, both sides shake hands, and then they both turn on the British. Similar to this, I wanna see Scottish/Irish guys on different teams start fighting their own teammates some time during a heated game. Also beer is somewhere.
Also bagpipes.

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
I'm not going to lie, I personally would have kept Price down this year, but I guess when you have goaltender depth like Montreal does hard decision's have to be made, and you really can't go wrong in giving the edge to your possible franchise goalie.

Interesting choice by the Habs. They run the risk of ruining a young goalie by bringing him up too early, and at the same time have disillusioned Halak who actually helped them last season.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
What the hell Stralman made it onto the Leafs final roster, he better get some playing time or I don't see the point when he could be playing top pair minutes down in the AHL. I guess he will be the 1st person sent down when Colaiacovo is healthy again.

ShutEye

The Rangers are sueing the NHL

According to the article linked above MSG, parent company of the New York Rangers is sueing the NHL because the NHL wants full control of the Rangers website and associated businesses (online merchandise sales). The league is apparently fining the Rangers $100K a day.

Awesome.

dem

The Edmonton Oilers have named Ethan Moreau as their new captain, making him the 12th player to wear the “C” since the team joined the NHL in 1979.

The Oilers have also named four alternate captains. Ales Hemsky and Shawn Horcoff will wear “A’s” for home games and Steve Staios and Jarret Stoll will be alternate captains for road games.

Oh captain.. my toothless captain!
wub.gif

I'm going to try and pretend this doesn't remind me of the Buchberger days.

Manics

Banned
R_GILL said:
What the hell Stralman made it onto the Leafs final roster, he better get some playing time or I don't see the point when he could be playing top pair minutes down in the AHL. I guess he will be the 1st person sent down when Colaiacovo is healthy again.

Kinda like when Kaberle made it when noone expected it. True he needs minutes but at least it gives the Leafs options to open up for a trade if Stralman proves he can play in the real games.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
scissorfight said:
if anyone cares, here is an fantastic roundtable interview with illitch, bowman, holland, and devellano:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/SPORTS0103/710020414/1004

tons of great stories in here...the first russian defections (suitcases full of money...players in trunks :lol ), stevie y trade talks, expansion in vegas, the schedule change, bitching about the anaheim series last year, etc.
Thanks for this! I remember when we managed to slip Pavel Bure out from underneath the nose of every other team in the league - nobody thought he was eligible. Good times.

Devellano: I'd just like to add one more thing about expansion. There's little doubt that Vegas is coming in (as an expansion franchise) -- it's about four years from now. And I truly believe Gary Bettman will move us East at that time.
o_O Tocchet first Vegas GM confirmed!

Kingpen

Damn dirty Canucks.... it is like you guys have spies inside the penguins camp. This is 2 years in a row that you have cherry picked a waiver wire from us (although I was more pissed at losing Sabourin last year vs. Weaver this year)...

Karakand

Pochacco said:
Whoooo.
Hoping for a 2011 Las Vegas Aces vs. Hamilton Blackberries Heritage Classic!
The first pro sports team in The Meadows must be known as the Las Vegas Rat Pack. I refuse to accept excuses, substitutions or alternatives on this matter.

Osorio

twinturbo2 said:
I don't want moral victories, I want the wins to flow like wine. Man, 1996 seems like a long time ago...
I'm sorry man but I don't like that attitude. You're openly admitting to being a fairweather fan.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
pops619 said:
Isn't Boots a part of the group that's now failing to buy the team?
yes, which is perfect for him because he just becomes a majority or full owner using the binding agreement already made with leipold. what's failing is the lease changes in order to stay in nashville, this is perfect for him to take over and move out

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
To compare with ESPN, here's SI.com's season opening Power Rankings.

1. Anaheim Ducks
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Ottawa Senators
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Calgary Flames
6. New York Rangers
7. Detroit Red Wings
8. Carolina Hurricanes
9. Vancouver Canucks
10. Buffalo Sabres
11. Tampa Bay Lightning
12. Philadelphia Flyers
13. Colorado Avalanche
14. St. Louis Blues
15. Minnesota Wild
16. Dallas Stars
17. Atlanta Thrashers
18. New Jersey Devils
19. Toronto Maple Leafs
20. Nashville Predators
21. Boston Bruins
22. Los Angeles Kings
23. Montreal Canadiens
24. Florida Panthers
25. New York Islanders
26. Washington Capitals
27. Chicago Blackhawks
28. Edmonton Oilers
29. Phoenix Coyotes
30. Columbus Blue Jackets

Karakand

Don't really buy the Pens winning the Cup but I like their #1! Also agree with that bit about this really being an opportunity for the NHL to step it up and get a relevancy equal to the exciting level of play post-lockout. Too bad we have a disciple of David Stern still running the league.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
:lol

Burke just trashed Lowe again on TSN's season preview special.
Said something along the lines of "colossal stupidity" and "throwing a grenade at the 29 other teams in the league". We'll see which $4M man is better this year :p

Pochacco said:
:lol

Burke just trashed Lowe again on TSN's season preview special.
Said something along the lines of "colossal stupidity" and "throwing a grenade at the 29 other teams in the league". We'll see which $4M man is better this year :p
"If I ran my team into the sewer like he did, I wouldn't throw a grenade at the other 29 teams like he did."

:lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom