• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Stanley Cup Thread - Oilers win!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
gretzky2_1.jpg

WooHoo!

The fourth-seeded 1983-83 Edmonton Oilers won the 7-game Stanley Cup series over the second-seeded 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens.

http://www.nhl.com/fancentral/fungames/quest/finals_game7_022305.html
Oilers hoist Quest cup

NHL.com's Quest for the Best tournament proved to be everything it was built up to be, ending dramatically in Game 7 with a 5-3 victory by the fourth-seeded 1983-83 Edmonton Oilers over the second-seeded 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens.

The Canadiens led the series, three games to two, following their 6-3 victory Monday in Montreal, but they lost Game 6 Wednesday, 6-1, in Edmonton and never led on home ice in Game 7.

Glenn Anderson scored his fourth goal of the game, an empty-netter, with 20 seconds remaining to seal Edmonton's championship.

Oilers' goalie Grant Fuhr made 31 saves to win the finale. Montreal's Dryden made 29 stops in his bid to avoid a two-game losing streak and a home defeat at the Montreal Forum.

The Oilers downed the 24th-seeded 1992-93 Pittsburgh Penguins in seven games in the Quest for the Best semifinals. Edmonton also eliminated the 28th-seeded 1988-89 Calgary Flames; the 20th-seeded 1993-94 New York Rangers and the 29th-seeded 1931-32 Toronto Maple Leafs. The Canadiens defeated the sixth-seeded 1971-72 Boston Bruins in five games in the semifinals. Prior to that, they eliminated the No. 26 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings; the No. 18 2000-01 Colorado Avalanche and the No. 31 1926-27 Ottawa Senators.

The tourney proved to go according to form. The first and third seeds fell to the defeated semifinalists. The top-seeded 1955-56 Montreal Canadiens were eliminated in the third round by the 1992-93 Pittsburgh Penguins and the third-seeded 1981-82 New York Islanders fell in the same round to the 1971-72 Boston Bruins.

The tournament's climatic game started ominously when Edmonton left wing Dave Semenko, playing on a line with Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri, took Montreal right wing Guy Lafleur hard into the boards and punched him in the helmet. Defenseman Larry Robinson moved up quickly to prevent further mayhem and Semenko was sent off for roughing just 22 seconds into the game. The Canadiens were unable to convert on the power play before defenseman Serge Savard was sent off for elbowing penalty killer Gord Sherven at 1:06.

Three minutes later, Canadiens defenseman Pierre Bouchard was called for charging on Oilers center Mark Messier. This time, the Oilers did convert as Glenn Anderson redirected Messier's feed from the side boards past Ken Dryden at 4:06 to open the scoring. Edmonton defenseman Paul Coffey assisted on the play.

The same three players were again penalized in the first period, without consequences. Bouchard was called for roughing Ken Linseman at 5:51; Semenko went off for boarding Canadiens right wing Murray Wilson at 8:58 and Savard got caught holding Gretzky at 11:30.

What was becoming evident was the effect the Oilers' big left wings were having on the Canadiens' right wings. The Canadiens were basically short a line in this series as center Doug Jarvis and left wing Bob Gainey were nursing injuries sustained in the semifinals. Each saw light duty as a penalty killer. In Game 7, Jarvis actually had the most time of any game in the Finals, killing 3:36 of penalties. But, that was all in the first period. He watched the second period from the bench and was in the dressing room for the third period. Gainey saw only 1:18 in penalty-killing time, none in the first two periods. Gainey was on his second shorthanded shift when he was called on a coincidental-roughing minor after a brief scrap with Jaroslav Pouzar. He did not return.

This was a series in which both Montreal coach Scotty Bowman and Edmonton coach Glen Sather relied more on "pairs" than lines. Bowman kept his top line of center Jacques Lemaire, right wing Guy Lafleur and left wing Steve Shutt together, but rotated his wings around centers Pete Mahovlich and Doug Risebrough, usually putting left wing Yvon Lambert out with Risebrough. Sather kept the pairs of Messier and Anderson and Gretzky and Kurri together, while rotating left wings Semenko, Dave Hunter, Raimo Summanen and Pouzar.

Edmonton's big left wings wore down Montreal's smaller right wings Wilson, Mario Tremblay and Rejean Houle. It became more noticeable over the last half of the game, but not before Wilson banged home his own rebound off a feed from Risebrough at 1:25 of the second period.

Anderson scored on a 2-on-1 with Messier to make it 2-1 Edmonton at 6:09. Lemaire evened it up again when he scored off a nice pass from Lafleur at 7:47, Shutt assisting. Pouzar put Edmonton back in front at 11:16 when he tipped Anderson's shot past Dryden.

The Oilers went up by two goals at 16:03 of the third period when Pouzar stripped Lafleur at center ice and head-manned the puck to Messier who had Anderson breaking in on right wing. Messier feathered a short pass that Anderson one-timed past Dryden. Shutt brought the Canadiens within a goal at 17:18 on a rush with Lemaire and Lafleur.

The Canadiens pulled Dryden with 58 seconds remaining, on a faceoff in the Edmonton end. They had several good chances until defenseman Rick Chartraw, playing in place of Savard, who had suffered hand injury midway through the period, was called for holding Kevin McClelland at 19:35. There was little Chartraw could do as Linseman had intercepted Larry Robinson's pass and delivered a feed that would have sent McClelland in alone on the empty net.

Trailing by a goal and down a man, Bowman went for broke with Robinson, Lemaire at the other point, Risebrough, Lafleur and Shutt. Risebrough won the faceoff from Messier and sent Shutt winging up the right side. His pass for Lafleur was intercepted by Semenko. Messier picked up the loose puck near the Edmonton blue line and passed to Anderson who centered a 60-foot shot into the open net.

For those not in the know, NHL.com gathered the greatest NHL teams in history and fictionally pitted them against each other to decide who was the best of the best. They wrote post-game reports, kept stats, and everything for every single game - a pretty sad way to past time during the lockout...
...nevertheless, my Oilers won!! Yay! Fictional Cup baby! =/

FightyF

Banned
Imagined hockey is still better than some sports. :)

These sports will go unmentioned since it will start a riot among the resident Basketball and Baseball fans on the forum.

Kon Tiki

Banned
For those not in the know, NHL.com gathered the greatest NHL teams in history and fictionally pitted them against each other to decide who was the best of the best. They wrote post-game reports, kept stats, and everything for every single game - a pretty sad way to past time during the lockout...
...nevertheless, my Oilers won!! Yay! Fictional Cup baby! =/

I do not know why TSN/NHL network did not show a full season (does not matter what year) this year. I remember TSN showing a few old games this year, and NHL network (or was it Leafs TV?) plays old games all the time.

NLB2

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:

These sports will go unmentioned since it will start a riot among the resident Basketball and Baseball fans on the forum.
Dude, Round 1 of Fedor vs. Nog 1 > all hockey put together.

Boogie

NLB2 said:
Dude, Round 1 of Fedor vs. Nog 1 > all hockey put together.

I'm so torn.......

*remembers 2002 gold medal game between Canada and USA*

Sorry NLB2, I can't back you up on this one :p

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
calder said:
God I hate Glen Anderson. :( Even in the land of make-believe he fucking haunts.
Anderson + Messier rocked back in the day!
So many breakaways...

I'm surprised that NHL.com didn't give the goals to Gretzky though. Since it's an imaginary game, you might as well have the greatest player in history be the MVP. Ah well.

On a totally unrelated note, when I was young watching the Oilers, I used to think "Rebound" was the name of an awesome Oiler player. The commentators would always say things like "Messier shoots, rebound, scores!!", "Gretzky on the breakaway, shoots, save, rebound, Messier scores!". I'd be thinking "DAMN! This Rebound guy sure gets a lot of assists!"

Shinobi

Fight for Freeform said:

...including real hockey...

calder said:
God I hate Glen Anderson. :( Even in the land of make-believe he fucking haunts.

:lol

The Toronto Sun's been doing a dice league with the NHL teams during this lockout complete with full standings, which is about the most desperate, pathetic thing I've ever seen from a paper.

FightyF

Banned
...including real hockey...

*LOL*...I'd have to agree...such a final would be been pretty sweet, that is if they played in their prime. I wasn't a big fan of the Heritage Classic :p

You shouldn't expect anything less from the Toronto SUN. :p I used to do game reviews for the Calgary SUN, and guess what the top editorial writer (Paul Jackson) did all day? Watch American news channels...that's about it.

spliced

Even though I view my 88-89 Flames as the greatest ever, I can accept losing to the Oilers, the eventual cup champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom