• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2009 NHL Thread - Old Man Cherry's Off His Meds Again™ Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Standings:

The Almighty West
id98cj.jpg

The Least
j5lg7k.jpg

Stupid Rumours from TFP, the Sun, TSN

TSN said:
Guerin, who would be an unrestricted free agent on July 1, has a no-move clause and sources close to the veteran forward say he has not yet been asked to waive it.

According to www.islanderspointblank.com, sources say the Islanders have a deal in principle to send Guerin 'to an Eastern team' which would be finalized on Sunday. The report indicates the Islanders would receive an early-round draft pick in return.

TSN said:
Sources tell TSN defenseman Derek Morris has given Phoenix Coyotes general manager Don Maloney a list of teams he would be willing to lift his no-trade clause to join.

In the meantime, Morris has decided it is best to not play and risk injury before a deal goes down

The Fourth Period said:
According to the Montreal Gazette, Canadiens GM Bob Gainey could be going after a high-profile defenseman.

Sources told TFP the Canadiens were speaking to the Florida Panthers about Jay Bouwmeester before they acquired Schneider.

Various reports have also linked the Habs to Toronto's Tomas Kaberle, with forward Chris Higgins and either defensive prospects P.K. Subban or Ryan McDonagh packaged in exchange.

The Fourth Period said:
For the first time in franchise history, the Colorado Avalanche will likely sell some of its players over the next six days, reports the Rocky Mountain News.

According to the News, Colorado's most valuable trading candidates are defenseman Jordan Leopold and forward Ian Lapierrere, both of whom can become unrestricted free agents July 1.

There have also been trade speculation surrounding forwards Ryan Smyth, Milan Hejduk and Marek Svatos, and defensemen Brett Clark, Ruslan Salei and John-Michael Liles.

The Fourth Period said:
Keith Tkachuk isn't the only member of St. Louis on the block these days, as the Toronto Sun reports Blues defenseman Jay McKee could also be on the move in the coming days.

The Fourth Period said:
According to the Camden Courier-Post, the Philadelphia Flyers continue to be in trade talks with the Florida Panthers for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester.

Bouwmeester, 25, is in the final year of his contract and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Courier-Post claims the Panthers are asking for a package of right wing Joffrey Lupul and either defenseman Matt Carle or Braydon Coburn in exchange, but the Flyers do not appear entirely interested.

It's also been widely reported that the Flyers have offered Danny Briere in a package for Bouwmeester, but the Panthers do not seem interested in adding Briere's large contract.

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
The Minnesota Wild could be ready to deal goaltender Niklas Backstrom. Two NHL executives told Sun Media that the Wild might deal Backstrom before Wednesday's trade deadline rather than risk losing him for nothing as an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
If the Devils make a push to deal for Anaheim's Chris Pronger, expect the Bruins to do the same. If New Jersey does land Pronger, Boston could take a run at Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer, who can become a UFA in the off-season. A league source said the talk among the players in the Toronto dressing room is Pronger's headed to the Leafs. "(GM) Brian Burke absolutely loves the guy and there's a lot of talk the Ducks just don't want Pronger anymore," said the executive.

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
The Chicago Blackhawks won't be moving forward Martin Havlat, who can become a UFA on July 1, at the deadline. Ideally, they'd like to find a centre to play with him down the stretch.

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
The Calgary Flames are looking at dealing for Phoenix centre Olli Jokinen. He has a strong relationship with Calgary coach Mike Keenan from their days together in Florida. Calgary was in the mix to land Jokinen before he was dealt to the Coyotes last summer. Edmonton, Columbus, Minnesota, Montreal and Vancouver are also interested.

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
Thrashers are expected to deal defenceman Niclas Havelid. The asking price is a third-round pick and the Bruins have shown interest ...

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
A league executive insists the Dallas Stars have been floating the names of forwards Brad Richards and Mike Ribeiro. Richards has a no-movement clause and it's doubtful he'll be going anywhere, but Ribeiro might be an attractive option for the 'Hawks .

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
Predators GM David Poile has indicated he's a seller. Centres Radek Bonk, Steve Sullivan and defenceman Greg de Vries are available

BRUCE GARRIOCH said:
The Flyers are trying to move Daniel Briere, but there's simply nobody who has the cap space

MICHAEL RUSSO said:
General Manager Doug Risebrough made it clear this weekend that, in his mind, Marian Gaborik will be the biggest acquisition the Wild makes by Wednesday's trade deadline.

Risebrough said Gaborik, who has played six games all season, is right on schedule in his rehabilitation from left hip surgery. Even if it means the pending unrestricted free agent walks away this summer for nothing, Risebrough said he probably won't trade Gaborik.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Stupider Eklund Rumours:

Eklund said:
Sources all agree on one thing...Guerin is likely moved in the morning to a contender in the east...

and now sources are telling me that the team may indeed be the Montreal Canadiens and that the reason it won't be announced until tomorrow is that the team was playing tonight as well...

However, my source also cautions here that there are factors that need to fall into place, adding that the Canadiens have at least three deals available to them, and two of them are in play here.

One of them may be the Habs moving a top six forward to Calgary in conjunction with the acquisition of Guerin...

Eklund said:
Add the Devils to the teams seriously considering Olli Jokinen. The Devils already must be considered a serious contender, and the addition of Jokinen would throw the balance of power in the East into the Devils hands.

Eklund said:
From a source, "there will not be a deal to send Jay Bo to a team as a rental player because the Panthers already have in place a deal that is far greater than that of your typical rental player deal."

I have been tending towards this as well over the past few days...When you get clues like the Flyers saying that Carle and Lupul are TOO much to give up for Jay Bo....well then you pretty much get your answer...

Eklund said:
The Canadiens looked very good last night, but they are not done moving players at all. There could be a major deal still in their plans I was told last night...MAJOR...

The Pronger rumours continue amidst talk that the Ducks team is just really in need of life. I can't tell you how often I am hearing that the Ducks room is just lifeless these days.

"They lack chemistry right now and are growing more and more apathetic in their reactions to losses," one source noted...

The other interesting note is that there are more contingency deals on the table than ever before around the league which points towards a few major deals that everyone is hanging on...

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Let's get this new thread started off right...

wingspreds2.jpg

wingspreds.jpg

The Predators delivered with a blistering start of historic proportions, posting five goals in the opening period for the first time in franchise history en route to an 8-0 battering of the Red Wings.

It was the most lopsided victory in Predators' history, a stunning outcome given the quality of the competition.
Just for comparison's sake, the Predators had scored only five goals in the first period of their past 11 games combined.
The beating was the worst this season for the Red Wings, who hadn't lost by more than three goals in their previous 63 games. Detroit also was shut out for the first time this season.

sefskillz

pringles said:
I hope you enjoy the memory of that game when you guys miss the playoffs, sef.
we'll see, won't we? we've gone 4 years in a row and been counted out by everyone 3 of those 4... Poile said in the paper yesterday that this run has made us buyers instead of sellers and that was before the utter destruction of the Wings last night

FightyF

Banned
pringles said:
I hope you enjoy the memory of that game when you guys miss the playoffs, sef.

I'm hoping they make it, get matched with the Wings, and get swept out of the playoffs.

Very few things give me joy more than seeing a Red Wings beatdown. My boss, a fucking cocksucking cunt, is a huge Red Wings fan. It'll be the first thing I bring up tomorrow morning. Thank you Nashville!

FightyF said:
I'm hoping they make it, get matched with the Wings, and get swept out of the playoffs.

I will have a ton of pictures ready for that moment

Spruce Moose said:
Very few things give me joy more than seeing a Red Wings beatdown. My boss, a fucking cocksucking cunt, is a huge Red Wings fan. It'll be the first thing I bring up tomorrow morning. Thank you Nashville!

I will laugh if he says your fired then. :lol

SA-X

I hope the Wings do play the Preds in the first round because the rest of those potential first round matchups look boring as hell. Columbus? Vancouver? Minnesota? No thanks.

sefskillz

Minnesota's hitting a rough stretch, they're 2 games into a 14 of 17 games away from home. Hopefully the Preds can slide in. Consider me a canucklehead-pensage-hawkage member for the day.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
What is the hold up on the Guerin front, I thought the Snowman would have shipped his ass out by now.

TheFallen

Watching the Panthers bounce around in the last couple of playoff spots in the Eastern Conference has been very unsettling. Here's hoping the Penguins and Hurricanes keep sucking.

Doytch

Mike Works said:
there's too much fighting in hockey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNSqcyWc2zM

Oh I'm going straight to hell.

e:

It's the longest of long shots, but this Leafs team could actually make the playoffs. Believe it.
Eh, I'm not so sure.

Want to know why? Vesa Toskala. The fashion-forward Finn put together one incredible month of hockey in February. He started nine games, and finished the abbreviated month with an unblemished regulation time record of 5-0-3. When he was the goalie of record, the Leafs picked up points in the standings. His save percentage, you ask? A tidy .912.
Oh yeah?

Look, this doesn't have to be a lengthy rebuild. The Leafs have some pieces in place. I don't know about you, but a defence core next season with a top-four of Tomas Kaberle, Pavel Kubina, Luke Schenn and Mike Van Ryn sounds pretty good to me. Throw in the incredible Ian White, who leads the team with a +11, and the most expensive sixth d-man in Jeff Finger, and the back end looks even better; strong, I must say.
I guess... Kabby/Kubby is a great duo in 5on5 and PP, Schenn is a monster, and Van Ryn just needs to stop getting injured. Y'know, I might be buying in into this...

Let's re-sign Nik Antropov, and Dommy Moore. And keep Kaberle, and Kubina, who is playing with incredible passion right now. Let's throw some of the cash we've got this summer Mike Cammalleri's way. Or Alex Tanguay's way. Or the Sedin twins' way. We've got options.

Ohh, Sedins, that might be nice. Burkie probably has some goodwill built up from them. Imagine if we got them AND Cammalleri?

The Leafs are seven points out of a playoff spot. And there are 19 hockey games left to play. Call me crazy, but I believe there could be playoff hockey come this spring, yet.

FUCK YES, PLAYOFFS!!!

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Doytch said:
Oh I'm going straight to hell.

e:

Eh, I'm not so sure.

Oh yeah?

I guess... Kabby/Kubby is a great duo in 5on5 and PP, Schenn is a monster, and Van Ryn just needs to stop getting injured. Y'know, I might be buying in into this...

Ohh, Sedins, that might be nice. Burkie probably has some goodwill built up from them. Imagine if we got them AND Cammalleri?

FUCK YES, PLAYOFFS!!!

:lol :lol :lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Every year, Leafs win just enough to NOT make it to the playoffs :lol Such torment !

Doytch

Look guys, we can't get Tavares. So our options are either get a top-third pick, or make the PLAYOFFS. PLAYOFFS are wicked awesome, a lucky bounce here, a missed high sticking call there and you're in the finals. And if we don't make the playoffs, we can still probably pick up Brayden Schenn. Having two pairs of brothers (Sedins, remember?) would be just awesome.

Seem like there's always a Penguins game on.

If Dallas wins, then they're back in playoff contention. Man, it's crazy how tight the West is (and the East to a lesser degree) and I love it. It make the last 20 games or so mean something, unlike the old days.

purg3

slept with Malkin
shit, missed the thread and posted in the old one. anyway, staal has been playing great lately.

purg3

slept with Malkin
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU FSN. the station just died on me, now I'm forced to watch the online stream with some fucking slovak announcers lol

kassatsu

Banned
purg3 said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU FSN. the station just died on me, now I'm forced to watch the online stream with some fucking slovak announcers lol
Yea, my nhl gamecenter stream just died. wtf.

Barrage

So...torn...major report due...Fraudsby/Slewfoot getting shitcanned....tough....choice...

EDIT: Good to see that even though Fraudsby has been held out, he is still contributing. Using his mouth and hands to influence the refs into becoming Pens supporters? He really will do anything to win!

P.S.-Here's how much Dallas respects Pittsburgh: We're playing Stephen. We don't give a FUCK.

kassatsu

Banned
Gamecenter is working again.

Barrage said:
P.S.-Here's how much Dallas respects Pittsburgh: We're playing Stephen. We don't give a FUCK.

Seems like they don't give a fuck about getting in the playoffs either.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Barrage said:

yeah, and Turco has been stellar too lately--so not like you had much of a choice there.

WOOOO FSN IS BACK UP! what a bunch of morans.

Buba Big Guns said:
And Brodeur with another fucking shutout for his 100th. Best goalie of all time.

He looked amazing at the start of the season and with the way he's playing right now there's no way you could tell me he missed 50 games in between this year. Huge win over the Flyers too, a 4-pointer since they're the main competition for the division.

EDIT: By the way, we can drop the "West vs. Least" bullshit this season. Both conferences have a few top-tier teams and a muddled middle. The Devils, Bruins, and Capitals are more than a match for the Red Wings and Sharks.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Man I hoped some deals would go down today

Another rumour:
Aaron Portzline said:
GM Scott Howson was in Ottawa on Saturday to scout the Maple Leafs -- Senators game. This is noteworthy, because typically GMs swoop in for one last look at a player before a deal gets done.

And the player Howson was looking at, sources say, is Antoine Vermette.

The rumors percolating at this hour have the Blue Jackets sending goaltender Pascal Leclaire to the Sens for Vermette, a top six forward with great speed and offensive touch. On the surface, Ottawa would seem crazy to part with a player like Vermette, but they need a goaltender in the worst way.

The vibe in Ottawa is that Vermette is 50-50 to be traded.

KilledByBill said:
He looked amazing at the start of the season and with the way he's playing right now there's no way you could tell me he missed 50 games in between this year. Huge win over the Flyers too, a 4-pointer since they're the main competition for the division.

EDIT: By the way, we can drop the "West vs. Least" bullshit this season. Both conferences have a few top-tier teams and a muddled middle. The Devils, Bruins, and Capitals are more than a match for the Red Wings and Sharks.
Tell me with a straight face that Jose Theodore will lead a team to the Stanley Cup.

Tell me.

R_GILL said:
Man I hoped some deals would go down today

Another rumour:

I'll be sad if Vermette goes. It'll be like trading Havlat all over again. He just needs more finish and I think he can become a 25-30+ goal scorer. And the fact that Leclaire has had a pretty average season (before he got injured) it would be even worse.

Mike Works said:
Tell me with a straight face that Jose Theodore will lead a team to the Stanley Cup.

Tell me.

I could see the Caps making a run this year but it would be more about the offense leading the team than Josey. But Theodore can go on fluky hot streaks as much as the next goalie. Besides, is the Capital's goaltending situation much more worse off than say Detroit's right now?

SA-X

KilledByBill said:
He looked amazing at the start of the season and with the way he's playing right now there's no way you could tell me he missed 50 games in between this year.
And for the past couple playoffs hasn't he been way too fatigued after having played 75-80 games? Maybe this will help the Devils go far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom