• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

Foil

bishoptl said:
I got bootfucked by Columbus last night attempting this achievement.

Columbus!

lol so did I. I thought I'd roll over them... Not so much.

Maverick said:
Goalie mode is so ridiculously fun in NHL 08 that I may never stop playing online shootout mode.

Anyone play through a full game as just the goalie?

This game feels spot on so far. Just making the AI Defensive players pinch in at the blue line makes all the difference. I'm not getting nearly as many breakaways as last year either.

I'm playing a dynasty right now just as the goalie. It's the best goalie control/camera use in any hockey game to date. Going off the ice for the extra attacker is great fun since you have to skate to the bench yourself. Then you come out as the extra attacker in a "madden superstar mode" special camera.

VALIS

I've got some pretty good sliders currently. More offense, the goalies aren't superhuman, but I need to make their offense better somehow.

Here's how it's been going for me so far in a new dynasty:

FLA 2 @ NYR 4 (en)
NYR 4 @ OTT 2 (en)
NYR 4 @ NYI 1 (2en)
WSH 1 @ NYR 4 (en)

Obviously they were closer games made to look more decisive with empty net goals, which are easy to get.

Skill Level: Pro
Game Speed: 0 (this is just the right level, imo. you'll get used to it)
Puck Control: 1
Fatigue Effect: 5
AI Learning: 6

Fatigue Recovery: 2
Player Acceleration: 3

Hitting Power: 1
Aggression: 1
Poke Effectiveness: 6

Pass Speed: 2
Saucer Pass Speed: 4
Pass Interceptions: 6
Goalie Passing: 3

Shot Accuracy: 3
Shot Power: 3 (both need to be this high to combat the Superhuman Goalie Syndrome)

Shot Blocking: 6
Hook Effectiveness: 6
Penalty Shot Frequency: 4
Goalie Cover Puck Frequency: 6

I may lower Poke Effectiveness down one or two because I'm good at it and I need a little more offense from the CPU. And I'm not sure what Aggression does - make the CPU hit more or play more aggressively overall?

I'm controlling a lot of the play and outshooting the CPU by 10-20 at game's end, but I'm not sure there's any way around that. The AI goalies are gods, and if the SOG were even, you'd lose almost every game. These are my favorite sliders so far, but they might need work as I'm 4-0. However, three of the four teams I played so far are shit, so I dunno, maybe these sliders are perfect - beat the crap teams, struggle against the better ones. We'll see.

Fatalah

rs7k said:
I'm gonna give it another shot tonight, see if I can reproduce some of those glitches. I successfully did in one game, and that was really worrisome.

Hey RS7K---shoot some video so i can see all the tricks!

FightyF

Banned
Truelize said:
And you checked Future Shop and Bestbuy Northland? I picked my copy up at Bestbuy in the NE at around 1:30. All the Blockbusters got theirs today too. EB had it exclusively on Wednesday but everyone else has it now.

Where are you looking? I thought you lived up in Edgebrook?

Edgemont actually. Checked that FS, which got the PS3 and PS2 versions but no 360 version. Checked BB which got neither, and checked EB which sold out. Then went to Market Mall and that EB sold out last night. :( I suppose I should have checked Walmart in Northland...but I invested too much time into searching into an already busy day. :p

Ah well, I'll spend my free time with 2K8 on the weekend and should have no probs picking up 08 on Monday.

TemplaerDude said:
awesome, 08 for the pc is terrible, i love it.

You gotta get a console. Publishers are just not putting much money into PC games except for re-iterations and add-ons to the same few franchises (Half-Life, Sims, Warcraft, Civilization, etc.)

Unless you are doing hardcore management type of sports gaming, you gotta get a console. Probably a 360.

Phthisis

VALIS: for my tastes, I would start on all-star and work on sliders to bring the game down to your skill level rather than starting at pro and changing the sliders to work up. Also, the agressiveness slider seems to make the CPU press you more when you have the puck.

tuco11

Has anyone played 2k8 using last years ( I assume classic control) ? Does it play like 2k7? I got 3 friends who refuse to get with the new control schemes lol!! So I need classic controls for our 2 vs 2 wars .

thanks!

bran

Oh my goodness the PS3 league will never have enough players to do jack.

I thought I landed a good deal grabbing Anaheim. Guess there's a reason it was still avail.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FightyF said:
Edgemont actually. Checked that FS, which got the PS3 and PS2 versions but no 360 version. Checked BB which got neither, and checked EB which sold out. Then went to Market Mall and that EB sold out last night. :( I suppose I should have checked Walmart in Northland...but I invested too much time into searching into an already busy day. :p

Ah well, I'll spend my free time with 2K8 on the weekend and should have no probs picking up 08 on Monday.

You could have also checked Zellers and ToyRus in Marketmall and like you said Walmart in Northland. If you checked early on Thursday I can understand FS and Bestbuy not having it, but they will have to have them on the shelf when they open today.
Get it and lets play some online.

what is with the online lobbies in NHL08 right now? I can't play ranked games at all. I played 5 games last night and my record still shows that I've never played a game. Anyone know?

zedge

The computer ai slaps me around like a red headed step child in my own zone.. I suck. :(

Its so hard to get the puck from them.

Captain N

I am hqving more fun with team play online then I have had yet with any Xbox 360 game online so far.

tuco11 said:
Has anyone played 2k8 using last years ( I assume classic control) ? Does it play like 2k7? I got 3 friends who refuse to get with the new control schemes lol!! So I need classic controls for our 2 vs 2 wars .

thanks!

Heck yeah you can play with last years controls...ill admit that I wasn't a fan of the bumpers as shoot and pass so I went back to 2K7 controls.

Keltron

llol how do u win faceoffs with ps3 controller? the instructions don't seem to say anything about which button to use.

mackaveli

Keltron said:
llol how do u win faceoffs with ps3 controller? the instructions don't seem to say anything about which button to use.

use the right analog stick and move it down a couple of times,

Fatalah

Keltron said:

Flick the the right joystick (the one you use to shoot) toward the direction you want to pass the puck. It's all timing.

PS--- only do it once, you're not allowed to keep flicking the joystick like in the NHL games of the 90's. You pretty much have one shot to time it right.

Kingpen

tuco11 said:

thanks!

2k8 has many different pre-set control schemes designed up. For your interest, the one you say that your friends are not wanting to use a setting which is called Pro Control, and it is on by default. You can adjust it over to something called Classic Pro Control which is basically using the old 2k7 button controls, but having some limited Right analog deke moves available. Or they have a setting called 2k7 control and this comes in beg, intermediate and advanced settings.

Keltron

Another question -

when your opposing goalie is at the top of the screen, i understand that to aim your shots, for example top left shelf, you would press up with right stick (ps3) and top-left for right stick.

But when you are skating downwards, with your opposing goalie at the bottom of the screen, is this opposite? its hard to explain but hopefully someone will catch my drift.

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
VALIS: for my tastes, I would start on all-star and work on sliders to bring the game down to your skill level rather than starting at pro and changing the sliders to work up. Also, the agressiveness slider seems to make the CPU press you more when you have the puck.

i am getting better against All-Star settings, so I am going to stick with that.... Their A.I really makes you a better player.

Phthisis

Keltron said:
Another question -

when your opposing goalie is at the top of the screen, i understand that to aim your shots, for example top left shelf, you would press up with right stick (ps3) and top-left for right stick.

But when you are skating downwards, with your opposing goalie at the bottom of the screen, is this opposite? its hard to explain but hopefully someone will catch my drift.

The shooting on the right stick is opposite (up to down) when you're skating top to bottom. But the aiming is still the same. So for example, if you want to go top corner, you're still going to hold the left stick up towards that corner even though you're shooting with the right stick from top to bottom.

shoplifter said:
Could FightyF update the first post with the list of subs for the 360 league?

By the way, the game comes out on the 21 in Europe, which is Friday. Is it okay with everyone if we start the league on Sunday September 23? That will ensure that everyone who needs to get the game can and have at least one day to practice. Sound good?

knee

Keltron said:
Another question -

If you go to visual settings, change your camera so that the home team is 'Always Skating Up' or 'Always Skating Down' depending on your situation.

I do this-- I think it will only hurt me should I play side by side vs. a guest @ my place. :D

knee

Question:

Concerning the ps3 league-- do you think league daddy would be a better option? I'm not sure if they allow divisions or playoffs on the console league settings.

Thanks!

X26

Banned
Bought NHL08, results sofar:

Dynasty (difficulty mode after pro, forget what it's called - all star?)
MTL 1 @ CAR 4
MTL 1 @ TOR 4

Low shots for me both times, high for the other team. I really need to get better aquainted with the controls and maybe reduce the difficulty for the time being. Depsite losing horribly, I still found it fun. Online I've played ~10 shootouts which were fun, but trying to play a team game had me lose my connection to the host both times

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kingpen said:
i am getting better against All-Star settings, so I am going to stick with that.... Their A.I really makes you a better player.

I agree. At first, I was terrible on All-Star (NHL 08). But I have gotten much better now that I can poke-check, set up my offense, and figured out that the shooting mechanic with the right stick reverses itself with the change of periods. :lol

Man, hockey videogaming does not get the respect it deserves. 6 SKUs of good to great hockey videogame joy just hit the shelves. And the only showing in the Amazon Top 100 of all those hockey games is NHL 08 for the xbox 360 . . . and it is at #92!

Wait a minute . . . clicks on Amazon.Ca(nada) . . . NHL 08 at #3. That's more like it.

Dez

Can I also be a sub player for the 360 league? From my experience on gaf leagues, lots of people who sign up before purchasing the game drop out.. so hopefully i can get in, at least eventually.

gcubed

so indeed how bad is the ps3 version of the... i want to pick it up on the way home tonight, but be damned if its as bad as some of the reviews make it sound (strobe effect, less then 30fps, etc)

Fatalah

knee said:
If you go to visual settings, change your camera so that the home team is 'Always Skating Up' or 'Always Skating Down' depending on your situation.

I do this-- I think it will only hurt me should I play side by side vs. a guest @ my place. :D

That's what I do too :)

gcubed said:
so indeed how bad is the ps3 version of the... i want to pick it up on the way home tonight, but be damned if its as bad as some of the reviews make it sound (strobe effect, less then 30fps, etc)

I have the 360 version and my buddy has the ps3 version. If you have not played the 360 version than the ps3 version seems fine pretty smooth even. Otherwise it pales in comparison.

Won 5 games online, lost 1. The last one I played, I led 6-3 with the Sharks (I play with any team), and the Senators scored 3 goals in the last 5 minutes. I have a feeling this game has a tendancy to even things up...

But still, Cheechoo finished it in overtime.

Souther

Banned
Damn it. Theres a glitch i believe in Dynasty mode in 08. I'm playing with the PS3 version so i don't know if this effects xbox360 users aswell but if i lose in regulation i get 1 point.

This is kinda pissing me off. they need to fix this.

I also heard this was even in NHL07.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So Rebook released the code too soon, ruining the uniform reveal for the rest of the NHL teams.

There's more!

If you've unlocked the uniforms, and play an online game against somebody who hasn't, the game crashes!

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunderful

bishoptl said:
So Rebook released the code too soon, ruining the uniform reveal for the rest of the NHL teams.

There's more!

If you've unlocked the uniforms, and play an online game against somebody who hasn't, the game crashes!

Shit that must be what is happening to me... :(

gcubed

Kabuki Waq said:
I have the 360 version and my buddy has the ps3 version. If you have not played the 360 version than the ps3 version seems fine pretty smooth even. Otherwise it pales in comparison.

well i just played the demo... eh, its livable. I can EASILY tell its not 60, but it doesnt ever appear to me to dip below 30. I can skip out on a year of madden until they get their shit straight, but i cant skip out on hockey

Souther said:
Damn it. Theres a glitch i believe in Dynasty mode in 08. I'm playing with the PS3 version so i don't know if this effects xbox360 users aswell but if i lose in regulation i get 1 point.

A bug like that is truly bizarre. I can understand there being complex AI issues, clipping issues, collision detection, etc. . . . but how to score a game? That's like programming 101. How can something as simple as that possibly be done wrong? And for two consecutive years?

Unless it is some memory overflow, a compiler error, or something esoteric like that, I just don't understand such a mistake. Especially when other aspects are so good.

Kingpen

Another sweet thing in 2k8 are these pre-programed superstar moves that only your top guys can pull off. If other guys try to pull them off, they fall on their ass. There is about 15-20 different moves to do, ranging from spin-a-ramas to between the leg trick shots, or even forsbergs 94 stamp move... They are easy to do, but not abusable (they don't work all the time). To do them you hold down the modifier button, and then do something like B, A or X, B, or A, A.... They will really add spice to shootouts for sure...

I love both games this year and am so glad I have both. Right now I think 2k8 is really going to satisfy my single player gameplay, and 08 will satisfy me totally for online play. 2k8 has really good televison broadcast presentation. I saw a cutscene of them telling me Crosby was 3 assists away from 150 in his career... Awesome!

Phthisis

bishoptl said:

There's more!

:lol

No way. How did Reebok screw that up? And how could EA let something like that screw up the entire online component to the game? :lol

Too funny.

Has anyone played any multi-console games yet? If so, can you comment on the experience?

I'd think that the system would need to display ping lag so you could get a group of people that could all communicate fast enough with each other.
And does the system have a good lobby system for setting up multi-console games?

If they can't get two machines to work together if one has entered a uniform code, I'm having serious doubts about their ability to pull off multi-console online gaming.

Kingpen

one more thing... There is a setting called Classic Pro Control. This basically gives you the best of both worlds on 2k8. It lets you play with the shots /passes on the buttons like we are used to, but if you want to, you can still move the right analog stick to deke left/right... This is what I am using

purg3

slept with Malkin
Kingpen said:
one more thing... There is a setting called Classic Pro Control. This basically gives you the best of both worlds on 2k8. It lets you play with the shots /passes on the buttons like we are used to, but if you want to, you can still move the right analog stick to deke left/right... This is what I am using

Oh shit, I'm going to have to switch to that now.

Anyway, I've had some really good games online so far. I won a 1-0 battle against someone, scored with 6min left in the 3rd. Never thought I would have a defensive battle with someone while using the Pens lol. And I've had 2 games that went to shootouts. Good competition online.

Kingpen, you up for some games later tonight?

RBH

Souther said:

Ugh, I can't believe they didn't fix that glitch for the second year in a row.

That kind of shit is really inexcusable.

Otherwise, it sounds like this game is really great.

Phthisis

Souther said:

Does it happen all the time? I know in last year's game it only happened once in a while; in fact I only experienced it once through two full seasons of dynasty.

X26

Banned
So what's the deal with NHL 08 in regards to online, right before I join a game of any sort it checks for updates, and always finds one, which it then downloads. Every. Time. There's no way there's a roster update every few mins, so what gives? Is this the case with anyone else?

So I gamefly'd NHL 2k8 and I like it a lot. I'm using the classic controls, but it's still better than last year's version and I basically feel how everyone else in this thread who has it does ...

What's the word on a 2k8 league? I know not that many people are picking it up, but I figured I'd ask :D

Phthisis

X26 said:
So what's the deal with NHL 08 in regards to online, right before I join a game of any sort it checks for updates, and always finds one, which it then downloads. Every. Time. There's no way there's a roster update every few mins, so what gives? Is this the case with anyone else?

I don't think it downloads everytime. I think it just checks to make sure you have it (if you go to save/load/delete under options and choose delete, you can see that you have a saved online roster file).

snorggy

nhl08 for ps3... cutscenes have framerate issues.. gameplay is perfectly fine.. not 60fps, but definitely a solid 30fps.

i got prompted to download a roster update.. anyone else get this?

edit: guess so! wasn't expecting one so soon to be honest... thought they'd wait till training camp is done and final rosters are set.

edit2: roster update does not give the oilers dustin penner it seems

Tiktaalik

I've played a bit more with a few other teams and it's cool to see that the differences aren't just the players, but they have their own favoured strategies. When playing as Vancouver for example I noticed the AI teammates come down the centre on the rush much, much more than any other team I've played.

Top Bottom