• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

Sandman42

If you guys are having trouble getting the puck away from the A.I. try to adjust some sliders. Turn pass interceptions and poke checking effectiveness up. Turn puck control down. It helps.

Fatalah said:
My friend's copy of NHL08 just crapped out after 2 hours of play. The disc drive spinning sounded a bit aggressive, and when we took the disc out we noticed a half-inch dull scratch near a half inch from the top of the disc.

The last time this happened was one year ago with NHL 07. It hadn't reoccurred until tonight.

Is this a common problem with EA discs?

I would think that is a problem with your 360 not the disc.

man am i having fun with ea products lately. i got moh:a and it wouldn't install, now i've got nhl 08 for the pc (i don't have a 360 stick it up your nose) and it won't install either.

i really want a hockey game to play.

Kingpen

I might have discovered a bug in 08. I was playing the ducks and things seemed to be fine. But out of the blue, the camera seemed to switch its focus on whoever I was controling instead of the puck. It made the game a lot harder to play, an I even missed seeing a goal live that the ducks scored cause my guy was up ice. I hope this isn't a nagging thing, or maybe I did something I was unaware of and it changed. I know I didn't change the camera, and I couldn't get it to go back with everything I tried.

Also, home crowds don't throw hats on hat tricks, I'm bummed at that cause they did last year. Maybe they didn't cause my 3rd goal was an empy net???

The new uniforms with the unlock code are nice. I am still craving classic teams and older uniforms though

I realized that I have 50 bucks on a game that is hyped to al hell this winter, but it never had been my type of game and now I'm thinking I won't get it. I probably will go track down a copy of 2k8 with that money.

shoplifter

Kingpen said:
I might have discovered a bug in 08. I was playing the ducks and things seemed to be fine. But out of the blue, the camera seemed to switch its focus on whoever I was controling instead of the puck. It made the game a lot harder to play, an I even missed seeing a goal live that the ducks scored cause my guy was up ice. I hope this isn't a nagging thing, or maybe I did something I was unaware of and it changed. I know I didn't change the camera, and I couldn't get it to go back with everything I tried.

This happened to me in the demo.

Klocker

Kingpen said:
I might have discovered a bug in 08. I was playing the ducks and things seemed to be fine. But out of the blue, the camera seemed to switch its focus on whoever I was controling instead of the puck. It made the game a lot harder to play, an I even missed seeing a goal live that the ducks scored cause my guy was up ice. I hope this isn't a nagging thing, or maybe I did something I was unaware of and it changed.

you hit the "back" button which changes focus to the controlling player rather than the puck

steve

Banned
Played for hours last night, the PS3 version plays silky smooth 100% of the time. The only thing that seems to chug slightly are the cutscenes, which after you've watched them for the 100th time, we all just skip past anyways, so not an issue for me whatsoever.

The gameplay was smooth as a baby's bottom, which is what I was concerned about after reading the morons at IGN make it sound like the gameplay was affected, so I was relieved to have my fears alleviated. Once again, IGN proves that the people reviewing these games need to work on the skill of writing and clearly illustrating the points they want to get across to avoid confusion and panic amongst the game-buying masses.

But I digress...

As for the game itself, it's hella fun. One of my biggest beefs in past NHL videogames is the lack of offensive capability on the AI's behalf. There's nothing worse than watching an AI opponent come streaking in on a breakaway and never score. It's very unrealistic. In NHL 08 however, these guys can put the biscuit in the basket, no worry there. Playing Ottawa, I was left pulling my jockstrap up off the ice on more than one occasion, as the computer made me look foolish.

The AI is also incredible at avoiding hits. Body checking in this game is incredibly difficult, where I used to get maybe 30-40 hits in a game, I find myself getting 8-10. Again, much more realistic.

The AI as a whole is pretty impressive, so much so that I was forced to play my inaugural Dynasty season on Rookie mode, so I could actually compete with them on a game by game basis. Even then, I found myself battling hard for every inch, I think my current record is 3-2, with only game game being decided by more than a lone goal thanks to a couple empty netters.

One problem I have with the game though, is I am finding it difficult to wrap my head around the prospect of shooting with both sticks simultaneously. The left stick is supposed to control my body while I'm skating, yet whenever I want to shoot, it also controls the direction of the puck. So if I want to skate one direction and shoot the other direction, I always seem to have trouble in doing so. Maybe it's because I haven't played an NHL game in so long, and I'm used to using the face buttons for shooting, but it's definitely something that I'm having a tough time getting used to.

But the game rocks, there's no doubt about that. The graphics are awesome, the sound is extremely well done, listening as the crowd starts chanting "Go Flames Go!" when I was down at home by a single goal late in the third period was awesome, and then watching as the AI pinned me in my zone with an extremely effective puck cycle, and my fans became frustrated and started booing my team, classic.

The AHL integration is also a nice touch as well, calling up players from the farm has a much greater impact when you can actually see them playing and chart their development with your own eyes should you choose to go that route. Have a guy on your team that is digustingly underperforming? Well, go ahead and watch your AHL team's next game, and see if there's anyone that stands out as deserving of a shot at the bigs.

As a GM, you need to deal with all of the day to day aspects of managing your team, one-way and two-way contracts, the waiver system, contract offers, team budgets, etc. It's all very engrossing, and nicely laid out so it doesn't feel too daunting to a newcomer such as myself.

It's got a full range of practice modes, probably the best in any hockey game ever. Whatever the situation, you can practice it. Choose the precise amount of offensive and defensive players on the ice at any given moment, skating and passing drills, shooting and goalie practices... whatever floats your boat.

What's also really neat is the RPG element that EA has added to the mix this year. Your players gain experience after a strong performance, so this allows you to actually develop young talent with a lot of potential, something that I've never experienced in a hockey game before.

For instance, I created myself, and naturally, maxed out my stats so I would be uber. However, this made it near-impossible for me to sign myself onto the Flames, as I would constantly reject any contract offer, because I was too damned awesome and wanted like 8 million per season, which was way out of my team's budget.

So I recreated myself with much more realistic stats, managed to sign myself to a contract, and gave myself some decent playing time. The first few games I didn't manage any points, then I had a 2 goal performance, and was named 2nd Star, earning myself some experience points in the process. Now, I'm still early in the season, but I can see how that with enough strong performances, by the end of the season, my player should have better stats than when he started, making the long-term deal I signed him to, a much more worthwhile investment.

It's a fun aspect of the game that I'm enjoying.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to talk about Goalie mode. So awesome, yet so difficult.

I love the camera angle they give you in the mode, as it really feels like you are the last line of defence, and they give you plenty of different moves to work with, from glove saves, butterfly stances, spread eagle desperation, stacking the pads and diving across the crease... not to mention my fave, being allowed to skate anywhere on the ice, and not just restricted to your crease.

There's a couple moves from past NHL games I'm missing in this mode, the diving pokecheck being one of them, but I haven't put a ton of time into this mode, so it might be in there, who knows.

All in all, this is a very enjoyable return to my NHL gaming roots. I haven't picked up an NHL hockey game since 2001 if I recall correctly, and this is just what the doctor ordered. It plays great, looks awesome, and sounds just as good.

Tiktaalik

I played as the Penguins last night and wow Crosby is good in this game. He is noticeably faster than every other player I've played as so far. He's like lightning out there.

Tiktaalik

Kingpen said:

I'm pretty sure this is a button combination that does this.

FightyF

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I'm pretty sure this is a button combination that does this.

It's the back button.

Purg3 my bro was playing last night when you sent the invite. Feel free to send them still, I'm gonna be playing this weekend (hopefully, this week has been packed for me. Worst week to be busy, EVER).

I couldn't find 08 in NW Calgary...any other Calgarians able to find it? I should be able to get it tonight, I figure...

Klocker

steve said:
Oh yeah, almost forgot to talk about Goalie mode. So awesome, yet so difficult.

I love the camera angle they give you in the mode, as it really feels like you are the last line of defence, and they give you plenty of different moves to work with, from glove saves, butterfly stances, spread eagle desperation, stacking the pads and diving across the crease... not to mention my fave, being allowed to skate anywhere on the ice, and not just restricted to your crease.

I think it's well implemented and fun but wish you could switch to it on the fly ala 2k so you don't need to sit and watch the other players while waiting for your shots.

ghostmind

Urg - want to play this game (picked up NHL 08 yesterday), but the in-laws are here and i'm finding myself without any time...

..might need to do some late night sessions until they leave in a week...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
How many games will be played a week in the 2k8 league? Same thing for the 2008 league.

Add me as a sub for 2008--- GT: Squatingyeti

Fatalah

Found this at another forum:

Poster #1: "I'm currently on my 2nd copy of NHL 08 since my 1st one stopped working after 3 hours. Now the same problem is reoccuring with my 2nd copy and it seems like NHL 08 has some technical problems.

Anyone having issues with their NHL 08?"

Poster #2: "Mine keeps freezing and not letting me exit a game when it;s done. I am stuck on my 4th game in dynasty."

Any issues at your end?

Played for hours last night, the PS3 version plays silky smooth 100% of the time. The only thing that seems to chug slightly are the cutscenes, which after you've watched them for the 100th time, we all just skip past anyways, so not an issue for me whatsoever.

The gameplay was smooth as a baby's bottom, which is what I was concerned about after reading the morons at IGN make it sound like the gameplay was affected, so I was relieved to have my fears alleviated. Once again, IGN proves that the people reviewing these games need to work on the skill of writing and clearly illustrating the points they want to get across to avoid confusion and panic amongst the game-buying masses.

But I digress...

Glad to hear it :)

I'll pick this up when it comes out in the UK.

EDIT:

Damn, it comes out the same week as Halo 3 in the UK (PS3 version). I'll probably just buy it when it's a bit cheaper later on :p

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
Also, once my goalie gets the puck, they can usually pick off my goalie passes 1/2 the time as well.

If it looks too dangerous, just hang on to it. I'd rather have a faceoff in my own end than get scored on :p

Also, for those of you having some trouble playing D on all-star, try setting your defensive plays to collapsing. You'll give up the outside perimeter, but if there's a rebound off of any shot, your guys will most likely get to it first, which cuts down on second chances for the CPU.

Fatalah

Paranoid_Robot said:
Damn, it comes out the same week as Halo 3 in the UK (PS3 version). I'll probably just buy it when it's a bit cheaper later on :p

Halo3 on the PS3?! :lol

I know, I know. You mean NHL 08 :)

I'm liking all the new jerseys so far. I haven't played Dallas in a game but it doesn't look like they have their number on their home jerseys.

steve

Banned
Klocker said:
I think it's well implemented and fun but wish you could switch to it on the fly ala 2k so you don't need to sit and watch the other players while waiting for your shots.
Not at home right now, but almost certain that L1 + X gives you control of the goalie on the fly, if you have the option turned on.

To the 360 league:

I won't be picking up the game until later this year so if someone wants the Thrashers they are up for grabs.

Fatalah said:
Found this at another forum:

Poster #1: "I'm currently on my 2nd copy of NHL 08 since my 1st one stopped working after 3 hours. Now the same problem is reoccuring with my 2nd copy and it seems like NHL 08 has some technical problems.

Anyone having issues with their NHL 08?"

Poster #2: "Mine keeps freezing and not letting me exit a game when it;s done. I am stuck on my 4th game in dynasty."

Any issues at your end?

My friends 360 did this with All EA games for some reason. They woul even have one scratch through them.

Only EA games. MS said it was a common problem and replaced the 360.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
DoctorWho said:
I'm liking all the new jerseys so far. I haven't played Dallas in a game but it doesn't look like they have their number on their home jerseys.

I can't wait to play with my new New Jersey jersey.

knee

I discovered a glitch on the PS3 version that I forgot to mention.

I was the Lightning and St. Louis was the victim of a SERIOUS check and he was stuck in the "I just got checked and I'm flailing and hitting the ground" animation. He kept repeating the animation, sound and all-- it looked like a seizure! It only stopped when a penalty was callled on the guy who originally hit him. (Roughing) :lol

Phthisis

DoctorWho said:

Dallas' new home jersey looks utterly nasty.

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
Dallas' new home jersey looks utterly nasty.

I just picked up NHL2k8... I'll be keeping both of them throughout the season... I'll give some impressions on some of the differences I see...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
knee said:
I discovered a glitch on the PS3 version that I forgot to mention.

I was the Lightning and St. Louis was the victim of a SERIOUS check and he was stuck in the "I just got checked and I'm flailing and hitting the ground" animation. He kept repeating the animation, sound and all-- it looked like a seizure! It only stopped when a penalty was callled on the guy who originally hit him. (Roughing) :lol
Happened to me on 360 last night as well. I nailed Jere Lehtinin in my zone, the puck went into their zone, my controller was vibrating like crazy, and I had no idea wtf was going on until I touched the puck and the penalty was called. When they showed the replay, Lehtinin was flying through air back and forth repeatedly like pizza dough :lol

shoplifter

I guess put me down as an alt for the 360 NHL08 league. Gamertag shoplift3r. I havent' renewed my Live subscription yet, but if I'm needed to fill in I'll do so.

Porkepik

well it seems BBV still has not received my copy of NHL08, guess will have to wait till this weekend, cannot ask too much as I traded 4 old PS2 games for it (worth 4$ max at EB games) due to some promotion but aaargh the wait is killing me

Sandman42

What the fuck! I won two games 6-0 and 5-1 and both games were recorded as disconnects by me and it says that I lost both games. Fuck the EA servers!

VALIS

I wrote a ranting, pissed off post at about 5:30 this morning about how impossible All-Star mode is when in a Dynasty, but figured I was just at the height of anger and didn't post it. I've played 10-15 games now so I'm up to speed against the new AI on All-Star, hell, I'm dominating it most of the time, but the goalies are doing the superhuman bullshit. My first six games I went 0-5-1 with a total of 8 goals scored. However, I was putting up 50+ shots per game.

Back to the slider drawing board. I really wish there was a goalie slider, but there isn't in Dynasty mode. I hope I can make the Pro setting hard enough but still have the AI goalie human instead of superhuman.

I think you really need to teach your AI set plays if you want a fighting chance on All-Star. I guess I'll do that today.

VALIS said:
I wrote a ranting, pissed off post at about 5:30 this morning about how impossible All-Star mode is when in a Dynasty, but figured I was just at the height of anger and didn't post it. I've played 10-15 games now so I'm up to speed against the new AI on All-Star, hell, I'm dominating it most of the time, but the goalies are doing the superhuman bullshit. My first six games I went 0-5-1 with a total of 8 goals scored. However, I was putting up 50+ shots per game.

Back to the slider drawing board. I really wish there was a goalie slider, but there isn't in Dynasty mode. I hope I can make the Pro setting hard enough but still have the AI goalie human instead of superhuman.

I've been getting very realistic stats and keeping tight games on All-Star in Dynasty. They are tough battles and I would have to say my last game was the best.

Toronto 2 - Washington 1 (OT)
26 shots - 25 shots

Attacking zone time was about the same and the only glaring difference was that I had about 50 hits to their 20.

Phthisis

shoplifter said:
I guess put me down as an alt for the 360 NHL08 league. Gamertag shoplift3r. I havent' renewed my Live subscription yet, but if I'm needed to fill in I'll do so.

Just so everyone knows, Atlanta is up for grabs since gregor bowed out. I know there are a couple people on the 360 league waiting list (including Bish), and they should get first call in the order they signed up. So yeah.

ghostmind, what say you (if you're reading the thread?)

VALIS

DoctorWho said:
I've been getting very realistic stats and keeping tight games on All-Star in Dynasty. They are tough battles and I would have to say my last game was the best.

Toronto 2 - Washington 1 (OT)
26 shots - 25 shots

Attacking zone time was about the same and the only glaring difference was that I had about 50 hits to their 20.

How about the goalies, though? Have you been noticing superhuman goalies on their side? I realize my shot quality isn't always great as I tend to sail a lot of shots on net hoping for rebounds, but I'm getting sick of putting up 50 shots a game and getting one goal.

Also, what's your team record and GF/GA at this point?

VALIS said:
How about the goalies, though? Have you been noticing superhuman goalies on their side? I realize my shot quality isn't always great as I tend to sail a lot of shots on net hoping for rebounds, but I'm getting sick of putting up 50 shots a game and getting one goal.

I think not only are the goalies tough to beat, I think there might be some puck sucking into the goalie logic to help avoid the wacky goals in NHL 07. I know I've seen it where a puck was rolling down the back of a goalie, only for it to drop straight down and then him land on it.

VALIS said:

My team record is an abysmal 3-9-0-1 but I was tweaking sliders early on. 13 GF/30 GA but as I said after tweaking around with sliders and learning how to play against the all star AI I've gotten far better.

I've scored most of my goals in the last 4-5 games and if you set up some practices for yourself you'll learn how to position your players, find passing lanes, and force the opposing team to move out of position. The goalies have seemed a bit super human at times and I wish I could tweak them down for both teams just a little because there are far too few goals in a game for my liking.

EDIT: I'm going to experiment with keeping shot accuracy at 0 but upping shot power to max. Maybe this will give shooters an edge when it comes to beating the goalies.

ghostmind

Phthisis said:
Just so everyone knows, Atlanta is up for grabs since gregor bowed out. I know there are a couple people on the 360 league waiting list (including Bish), and they should get first call in the order they signed up. So yeah.

ghostmind, what say you (if you're reading the thread?)

It's time to slay the dragon!

Wow, St. Louis looks like ass.

Yikes - just saw Phoenix and San Jose (I saw the Sharks concept before but wow...ugly).

Lolz @ Dallas.

purg3

slept with Malkin
FightyF said:
Purg3 my bro was playing last night when you sent the invite. Feel free to send them still, I'm gonna be playing this weekend (hopefully, this week has been packed for me. Worst week to be busy, EVER).

Sounds good, I have a 3 day weekend, so I should be on quite a bit with 2K8

Kingpen said:
I just picked up NHL2k8... I'll be keeping both of them throughout the season... I'll give some impressions on some of the differences I see...

Send me a message if you want to play, I'll be on tonight.

Update on the 2K8 jersey code: available 9/17@ 3pm PST.

Top Bottom