• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Guy Legend said:
I think you confused Dallas for St. Louis......

Good GOD! That Dallas jersey got zambonied with a layer of ugly.

EDIT: BTW, no one answered how many games a week will each league play?

squatingyeti said:
Good GOD! That Dallas jersey got zambonied with a layer of ugly.

It isn't designed like that. The comish decides how many games everyone will play against each other. So if we pick 1 game vs. every team in the league every team will play 32 games.

Did that make sense?

Kingpen

I picked up 2k8 with some extra trade credit today, and I already have and am really impressed with 08 (although it is missing some things I crave).

Anyway, I thought a good first test would be to play a quick game out of the box with their settings just to get a feel for the controls. It took me all of about half of the first period to get a decent feel for the basic controls (with their new pro-control scheme). I can see how some people can throw a fit about these on their first impression, but the thing that has impressed me is that I actually got used to them pretty quick, even after playing 08 a bunch. I can't say I have every control down yet, but passing, checking, speed burst, right analog stick deke moves and shooting wristers is coming pretty easily to me now. I have to think for a second to hold the modifier down for a slapshot, but was getting better at it.

So my main impression is that 2k8 got lousy ratings because of its initial impression out of the box. But any 2k fan knows that these games are the best in the business for being able to tweak sliders to your hearts content. I see a ton of serious potential in this game once some guys can get some sim sliders out. I didn't realize I was playing on the rookie level either first game, so that should help some as well to tighten things up. I won my first game 5-3...

Some random thoughts...
+Parametric camera was made better then last year by them zooming it in a tad. I hated it last year, but really like it this year. They took out the classic ice camera though for some reason I don't know why
+They went all out with some presentation aspects that EA's game simply lacks. I have every single jersey in the history of the Penguins at my disposal to use (last years game missed 2 or 3 of them - there literally is about 12 different jerseys to choose from not counting the new RBK ones). This makes me ecstatic.
+Graphics, while not as 'organic and livid' as 08's really serve as good competition. They are a big upgrade over 2k7. 2k nailed some of the faces better then EA, and EA vice versa. For example: Colby Armstrong looks right on in 2ks game, but looks like a generic in 08.
+EA's game doesn't throw hats for hat tricks. 2ks game does!
+when you start your franchise, you can start with a fantasy draft, and with classic conference names (I'm talking Patrick, Wales, etc...)
+faceoffs are awesome in this game, nice job by 2k to add another layer of strategic gameplay that EA doesn't have.
+ 2k Fighting kicks the shit out of what EA has. They have some nice effects when you land a good haymaker. EAs is so bad this year, that I am going to shut it off of my settings. I thought it was bad last year, but I wish it was the same compared to what they put out there this year.
+many different settings out of the box for control schemes (Pro control, classic with pro control deke moves, 2k7 controls in beg, intermediate, and advanced modes) I will probably revert back to the 2k7 controls myself from last year, but it isn't because I can't use pro control
+TV broadcast stat overlays and replays I would rate as better then 08. There is a matrix bullet time replay on slapshots that is awesome. In 2k8 I feel like I am continuing the careers of the guys I control and padding their stats because of the stat overlays. In 08, you don't get their historical stats, so there is a bit of a disconnect there.

The only negative in this very short impression I can see right now is that 2k dropped the ball on touting they have the best franchise, but the competition has the complete AHL roster inside it, which is really cool. This makes a big difference. But overall at first glance, I can tell that 2k's franchise will be better then EAs...
-I think I like goalie control slightly better in EAs game vs Crease Control in 2ks game.

All in all I am really surprised at how solid 2ks game is in comparision to the low reviews it got. I would say that IGNs review is right on about it. If you give 2k's game a chance to become something custom to your likes(controls, rules, settings), it will grow on you.

I'm not going to say one is better then the other at this time, but just that I am very glad I have both of them this year. I'll have more impressions later after I keep getting the chance to play both games...

DoctorWho said:
It isn't designed like that. The comish decides how many games everyone will play against each other. So if we pick 1 game vs. every team in the league every team will play 32 games.

Did that make sense?

Is it possible to do it more like conference play where you play more people in your conference?

Phthisis

ghostmind said:
It's time to slay the dragon!

I will take that as a yes. Fight, if you could update the first post and replace ghostmind with gregor for the Atlants Thrashers in the NHL 08 360 league, that would be great :)

The leagues are set up in NHL 08 so you play each person in the league X number of times. We're going to start out with 1 time each, so that makes a full 30 game season. There are no schedules, so if you see someone online and you haven't played them yet, then just jump into a game with them. Person with the best record after 30 games is the league champ.

Once again, the game doesn't come out in Europe for another week or so, and the NHL 08 360 league has several PAL members, so we're waiting on that before we start.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Kingpen said:
Impressions...

Pretty much agree with everything here. I laugh every time the camera zooms in on Colby's face because it looks just like him-hook nose and all. :lol Did you see Brooks Orpik's face in game, good god what source material were they using?

Also, I reverted back to 2k7 advanced controls after a few games with the pro stick. I spent a good hour tweaking the sliders to get to that sweet spot and I think I'm almost there. Shot totals still get a bit high along with the hits though. But it shouldn't be too hard to correct. Overall, I'm really liking 2K8 so far.

What a heartbreaking loss.

Leafs 2 - Jersey 4
Shots: 31 - 34

I was leading 2-0 in this game with goals I scored in the first period that were in seconds of each other but Jersey found a way to creep back and made it 3-2 late in the third. The fourth goal was an empty netter on a clear from their zone... :(

Kingpen

purgeface said:
Pretty much agree with everything here. I laugh every time the camera zooms in on Colby's face because it looks just like him-hook nose and all. :lol Did you see Brooks Orpik's face in game, good god what source material were they using?

Also, I reverted back to 2k7 advanced controls after a few games with the pro stick. I spent a good hour tweaking the sliders to get to that sweet spot and I think I'm almost there. Shot totals still get a bit high along with the hits though. But it shouldn't be too hard to correct. Overall, I'm really liking 2K8 so far.

If you perfect your sliders, please post them here... I played 2k7 with some sliders from operationsports last year and it made the game go from good to godly sim-like. I have the same expectation of 2k8 this year.

Oh yeah, 2k8 lets you play 6, 7, 8 9 minute periods as well. Totally something that 08 drops the ball on.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
trying to get this ahl beating nhl team on superstar achievement is breaking my heart :lol

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I'm playing on rookie mode since i'm really not used to these NHL08 controls, I love the analog aiming!! Game feels great so far, though my defensive skills are, I can cycle the puyck well in the offensive zone. I'm just so used to the X = pass/change player, O =speed burst/check I have to readapt. :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
sefskillz said:
trying to get this ahl beating nhl team on superstar achievement is breaking my heart :lol
I got bootfucked by Columbus last night attempting this achievement.

Columbus!

This is what I don't get about NHL 08. I have one game with me out shooting the opposition and winning the most face-offs. Now I just finished the first period of a game against Montreal and I'm being out shot 19-2 in the first period and they have won 15 face-offs to my 3. WTF? It isn't like I am slacking off either.

Update:

End of Second
Still 2-0 Montreal and the shots are 10-30 with face-offs at 6-27.

Maverick

Goalie mode is so ridiculously fun in NHL 08 that I may never stop playing online shootout mode.

Anyone play through a full game as just the goalie?

This game feels spot on so far. Just making the AI Defensive players pinch in at the blue line makes all the difference. I'm not getting nearly as many breakaways as last year either.

awesome, 08 for the pc is terrible, i love it.

the skill stick is so wishy washy, you never feel like you're pulling any moves off.

pushing up to shoot when you just deked might not work sometimes.

the goalies cover up WAY to often.

the graphics are shit.

there's no ahl integration in the season or dyansty mode, the most you can do with the ahl is play a season.

the salarys are bad.

the fantasy draft in dynasty is useless because you can't tell the salary of a player until after you pick him so you get stuck with something like 15 million over the cap. i haven't done a fantasy in season yet. dunno if it has a cap.

it's better than 07 though. no more life long speed burst for me.

it's hockey though so i'm guaranteed to play it.

Phthisis

Okay, so I rescind my previous comment about the Dallas home jerseys.

Good god almighty, I just played a game against the Sharks in their new unis...they are ugly as sin. It looks like someone barfed all over Joe Thornton.

Phthisis said:
Okay, so I rescind my previous comment about the Dallas home jerseys.

Good god almighty, I just played a game against the Sharks in their new unis...they are ugly as sin. It looks like someone barfed all over Joe Thornton.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind the Sharks new jerseys.

For those of you getting blown out, the key is to slow the pace down and not let the opponent dictate the game.

08's AI has a tendency (once they get puck possession) to start generating super insane goal scoring plays and if you immediately try to retaliate with a quick goal you're gonna give them back the puck which will lead to another super insane goal scoring play.

Slow the play down, cycle the puck and dictate the pace. Pass the puck between your defensemen for a minute or so just to piss them off and look for openings.

calder

Picked 08 up after work (yes, my anger at EA apparently knew some bounds, mainly the bound between getting 2K instead) and holy shit is it fun so far. I'm having fun just doing practice, I barely played 07 but for whatever reason the skill stick isn't leaving me annoyed and frustrated.

But damn, doing the skating drills at first is pretty funny. I do pylons better than these chumps (when controlled by me :p) were doing them for the first few minutes, I took Crosby out for a spin and he was dropping shit all over until I got the hang of moving his stick and feet properly. It's still an abstract representation of how you'd move your hands to cradle the puck while turning, but it's more fun and less abstract now than I can remember it being.

rs7k

Guys, NHL 08 is so full of glitches, it's not even funny. There are so many cheap ways to score. Get in front of the goalie and start dancing around with the puck in the slot, like just spin around. Shoot the puck whenever net is open because goalie is flying out of control.

Another one, crossover skate while going in the zone, go behind the net, and when you get to the circle, start going for the slot, snipe and it goes in every time.

I might just go and trade it in. Not to mention I can never get a game going. Fuck you EA.

calder

rs7k said:
There are so many cheap ways to score.
My brother is on the phone demanding we play online so please, tell me more...

aww that does suck. is it really game-breaking stuff?

darscot

rs7k said:
Guys, NHL 08 is so full of glitches, it's not even funny. There are so many cheap ways to score. Get in front of the goalie and start dancing around with the puck in the slot, like just spin around. Shoot the puck whenever net is open because goalie is flying out of control.

Another one, crossover skate while going in the zone, go behind the net, and when you get to the circle, start going for the slot, snipe and it goes in every time.

I might just go and trade it in. Not to mention I can never get a game going. Fuck you EA.

I always find when you leave a guy all alone in front of the net dancing like mad they never score. Were is the rolls eyes when you need them.

rs7k

calder said:
My brother is on the phone demanding we play online so please, tell me more...

aww that does suck. is it really game-breaking stuff?

I tried it out with a friend after I got scored 10 goals against by some random person online, only one of which was actually a quality goal. I didn't tell him until he noticed I kept doing the same thing over and over, and I eventually won 9-1.

I played NHL07 online only, so if this stuff is constant, I'm not gonna play it anymore.

rs7k said:

ea pee in your cheerios?

the games not "full of glitches". it's quite fun from what i've played. fun is what matters.

Phthisis

rs7k said:

Maybe if you played the game more like hockey and less like Boogie you might find it more realistic.

Big-E

TemplaerDude said:
ea pee in your cheerios?

the games not "full of glitches". it's quite fun from what i've played. fun is what matters.

If what he says are true then EA deserves the hate. Exploit goals are a cardinal sin for a sports game and will completely ruin online gameplay.

rs7k

Phthisis said:
Maybe if you played the game more like hockey and less like Boogie you might find it more realistic.

ok. whatever. the game is realistic and fun, and there are more scoring glitches than last year, and I played over 200 hours of NHL07.

there might not be goalie glitches, where anything harmless might trickle in, but it's like you're in a spot and you'll automatically score. at least with 07, you didnt know if something was gonna go in for sure unless you dangled the hell out of the goalie.

there's also far too much hitting.

I should say the scoring glitches won't become completely obvious until more assholes catch on. Just watch.

rs7k

I'm gonna give it another shot tonight, see if I can reproduce some of those glitches. I successfully did in one game, and that was really worrisome.

Maverick

rs7k said:
there's also far too much hitting.

I should say the scoring glitches won't become completely obvious until more assholes catch on. Just watch.

Wait, what? Brother, I don't think you bought the right game. It does have Staal on the cover, right?

FightyF

Banned
Can't find 08 for the 360 in 2 malls in NW Calgary! Don't have much time to really hunt it down, until the weekend.

I haven't been able to comb and update the thread as far as the leagues go, if any of the league guys want to PM me with updated lists, feel free to do so. Maybe send them at the end of a day or at the end of the week. I'm sure we won't be starting the leagues this week to give everyone a chance to pick the game up and/or get used to each game.

BTW, what sort of settings do we plan to have for the seasons?

Kingpen: I suppose now that you have 2K8, you can answer your own Qs. But as far as penalties go, I think you'll agree, they aren't that common. I think with all the hitting the game allows, there should be more penalties. In the same way 08 and 2K8 don't want you poke checking needlessly as you can get a tripping call, the same should apply to hits. Boarding should be called more often if someone lines someone against the boards, or anytime one is hit from behind. Anytime someone is hit away from the play, it should be interference.

I think about how I poke check now, due to the penalties given out...the same should occur with hitting, especially in 2K8. I wouldn't have the hitting any other way...but I definitely think that penalties should be handed out more often for some of the needless/late hits.

Kingpen

rs7k said:

WOW... With as much as I saw you playing NHL07 on my friends list this past year, I can't believe what I am hearing. Man sorry to hear your having issues. I think both games are the best they have ever been this year...

Phthisis

So I've been playing on all-star for about three or four hours tonight and I've come to the conclusion that all-star needs some slider tweaks. CPU goalies are simply unbeatable, and while the defensive AI is amazingly solid, your own team's is not which unbalances the game in a gross fashion. They always leave a guy open right at the top of the slot for easy goals.

So far I've lowered AI learning and aggression by one click each, and raised shot accuracy by one click (thought it might need to go one more) because it seems like every shot is over the net or into the crowd. I'm thinking I might lower poke effectiveness or raise puck control by a click because it seems like the CPU can never be stripped, but you can easily.

It's also important to find a good strategy setting you like that helps your play style. I'm a little concerned with the all-star goal-scoring difficulty; it seems like you can only beat netminders with one-timers, which is no good. Tomorrow I'll put my sliders through a thorough test and see what the results are.

I can tell, however, that all-star made me a shitload better; I beat the Blues on Pro 6-0 and dominated in shots 26-10.

rs7k

Kingpen said:
WOW... With as much as I saw you playing NHL07 on my friends list this past year, I can't believe what I am hearing. Man sorry to hear your having issues. I think both games are the best they have ever been this year...

Maybe I'm just having a hard time adjusting. The game is very different. But every hit I dish out is a huge bone-crunching hit, and it doesn't seem like the defensive AI is as good as the offensive AI (where your players are positioned to take a pass) is retarded.

I'm probably putting too much thought into it. But some people are definitely taking advantage of the near-slot scoring issue, or my goalies have just been garbage. I've only been playing with Montreal or Minnesota.

Big-E

I downloaded the 08 demo for PS3 to give it a try. Real easy to hit and the game was so easy on the pro difficulty for the demo. I outshot the comp 10-0 and scored 3 goals. In the demo there were corrupted textures during the intros behind the benches. Is this problem in the retail 360 version cause its pretty annoying.

Kingpen

anything other then regular vs play seemed to be borked tonight still.. good thing regular vs. play is so awesome on NHL08.

Phthisis beat me 3 times tonight by close games, but we had some battles including an epic 20 shooter shootout that he finally won.

I got the last laugh though by giving him the Jagr Salute with a hat trick and assist in the last game...

Big-E said:
I downloaded the 08 demo for PS3 to give it a try. Real easy to hit and the game was so easy on the pro difficulty for the demo. I outshot the comp 10-0 and scored 3 goals. In the demo there were corrupted textures during the intros behind the benches. Is this problem in the retail 360 version cause its pretty annoying.

That doesn't sound like the 360 version at all.

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
anything other then regular vs play seemed to be borked tonight still.. good thing regular vs. play is so awesome on NHL08.

Phthisis beat me 3 times tonight by close games, but we had some battles including an epic 20 shooter shootout that he finally won.

I got the last laugh though by giving him the Jagr Salute with a hat trick and assist in the last game...

I could not stop Jagr, nor could I contain him. I could only watch helplessly as he lit up Rick DiPietro like so much kindling in the cold, dark night.

Code:
Result:         New York Islanders 2  at  New York Rangers 6

Away Team:      Justegarde - LVL 2
Home Team:      KINGPEN66 - LVL 1

Stats              Away                               Home
=========================================================================================
Team               New York Islanders                 New York Rangers
Score              2                                  6
Shots              20                                 23
Hits               25                                 31
Penalty Minutes    02:00                              08:00
Power Play Goals   0                                  1
Power Play Opport. 1                                  1
Faceoffs Won       16                                 16
Breakaways         0/0                                0/1
One Timers         0/5                                1/9
Passing            84/104                             70/93
Penalty Shots      0/0                                0/0
Blocked Shots      13                                 6

Phthisis said:
I could not stop Jagr, nor could I contain him. I could only watch helplessly as he lit up Rick DiPietro like so much kindling in the cold, dark night.

Code:
Result:         New York Islanders 2  at  New York Rangers 6

Away Team:      Justegarde - LVL 2
Home Team:      KINGPEN66 - LVL 1

Stats              Away                               Home
=========================================================================================
Team               New York Islanders                 New York Rangers
Score              2                                  6
Shots              20                                 23
Hits               25                                 31
Penalty Minutes    02:00                              08:00
Power Play Goals   0                                  1
Power Play Opport. 1                                  1
Faceoffs Won       16                                 16
Breakaways         0/0                                0/1
One Timers         0/5                                1/9
Passing            84/104                             70/93
Penalty Shots      0/0                                0/0
Blocked Shots      13                                 6

Why did you only have one power play opportunity if he had 8min in penalties?

Phthisis

DoctorWho said:
Why did you only have one power play opportunity if he had 8min in penalties?

At the end of the game (last 30 seconds or so), he went on a mad slashing spree, I guess to add injury to insult.

I bought EA's game. Is there any league going on where there's free room? I'd take any team, really.

Right now it's full, but we can mark you down as a sub (you're behind bish) in case someone drops out once we get started (and I have a feeling there will be multiple dropouts).

Foreign Jackass said:
I bought EA's game. Is there any league going on where there's free room? I'd take any team, really.

I think there are already a bunch of substitute players but if you check further back in this thread I think somebody pulled out. You might have a chance at a spot.

Just played a great game with Bishop. It was a 1-1 tie with 17 seconds left when I hit the upper corner to bring it 2-1. Then with seconds left on the clock he got a breakaway but wasn't able to put it in the net. Great close game with minimal lag. Man I can't wait till the league starts.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FightyF said:
Can't find 08 for the 360 in 2 malls in NW Calgary

And you checked Future Shop and Bestbuy Northland? I picked my copy up at Bestbuy in the NE at around 1:30. All the Blockbusters got theirs today too. EB had it exclusively on Wednesday but everyone else has it now.

Where are you looking? I thought you lived up in Edgebrook?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Marty Chinn said:
Just played a great game with Bishop. It was a 1-1 tie with 17 seconds left when I hit the upper corner to bring it 2-1. Then with seconds left on the clock he got a breakaway but wasn't able to put it in the net. Great close game with minimal lag. Man I can't wait till the league starts.
good ol' Taylor "Hands Of Stone" Pyatt, just the guy I want on the breakaway with 4 seconds left :(

Good game man. The more I play NHL 08, the more I like it.

Top Bottom