• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 World Cup of Hockey |OT| World Cashgrab of Who Cares - Sponsored by SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
congratulations to the continent of Europe for being second best in the world to the country of Canada at the international sport of men's ice hockey

0401SS01-194x260.jpg

oriental-flower-vase-800x800.jpg

such a beautiful trophy!!!

holy shit giving it to Jumbo first cause he won no cups 😂😂😂

Marchand was robbed harder than a shot off the post.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Crosby in on 41% of Canada's offense all tournament, and was a two way force, and a huge reason for Marchand being so successful this tournament, but yes, rat face was robbed.

Crosby in on 41% of Canada's offense all tournament, and was a two way force, and a huge reason for Marchand being so successful this tournament, but yes, rat face was robbed.

depends how you define MVP. I think personal improvement/breaking out is a factor that should be considered. I know I didn't go into the tournament expecting this out of Marchand. Team sport and all makes things hard.

On top of the bias of scoring the tournament winner lol

NYR

The trophy looks a little better this time around. Still weird looking though.
You can still tell players don't connect with it, some didn't even want to lift and skate around with it, it has no heart.

Socreges

Banned
depends how you define MVP. I think personal improvement/breaking out is a factor that should be considered. I know I didn't go into the tournament expecting this out of Marchand. Team sport and all makes things hard.

On top of the bias of scoring the tournament winner lol
Oh so someone actually believed it

And I think most define MVP as...and I may be wrong...most valuable player.

RC

Banned
You can still tell players don't connect with it, some didn't even want to lift and skate around with it, it has no heart.

I still remember the look on Lemieux's face on when they handed him that throphy in 2004. He didn't know what to do with it.

I just watched the last half of the game. It was nice to see that 'we' won, which was great! I feel bad for Europe, though. They played one Hell of a tournament.

Congrats to Canada! We win again!

But, also congrats to Europe. Poor Team Europe outplayed us somehow, both games.

yyzjohn

Banned
I've never been less invested in an international hockey tournament as this one. I mean Team North America was cool to watch cause of the young talent on display, but I really didn't care much about the outcomes.

Congrats to Canada. Also while I don't mind World Cup I really don't want it to replace Olympics that seems to be the goal of NHL. There is just something special in Olympic gold and some random World Cup award can't replace it.

Congrats to Canada. Also while I don't mind World Cup I really don't want it to replace Olympics that seems to be the goal of NHL. There is just something special in Olympic gold and some random World Cup award can't replace it.

Considering how poorly this tournament drew I don't think you have to worry.

Considering how poorly this tournament drew I don't think you have to worry.

Well I wouldn't mind if World Cup would continue either. It would be great to have best against best in international tournament every two years (Olympics and World Cup) but Olympics should take the first seat if there is only one tournament for international hockey. Like you said hopefully NHL took the hint regarding the Olympic status of hockey. Even Canada vs USA had pretty poor ratings in this tournament compared to Olympic match ups.

zroid

Banned
Not sure how much you can rely on this info, but according to Bellemare and Vanek, Team Europe sparked a lot of interest in France and Austria. Cool if true.

I've never been less invested in an international hockey tournament as this one. I mean Team North America was cool to watch cause of the young talent on display, but I really didn't care much about the outcomes.

Seriously. I watched the final USA game against Canada and the second half of the Sweden/Europe game and that was it. Just have no investment in this thing at all.

Not sure how much you can rely on this info, but according to Bellemare and Vanek, Team Europe sparked a lot of interest in France and Austria. Cool if true.

Well there was decent amount of articles here in Finland how even in some countries like Latvia and Belarus that didn't have players in European team people rooted for Team Europe. Really, even though Canada has dominated the recent tournaments the overall skill lever of hockey has grown during recent years. I remember during late 90s and early 00s when lower teams in World Championships really were a pushovers for top 6 teams. Nowadays they can make top 6 teams sweat during world championships and even sometimes win the games (if the otherside has a bad game). Of course best vs best is different but in old days even Canadien C team won 6-0 against regular European teams (non Sweden, Russia, Finland etc) in world championships. Let's hope that the development continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom