• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why take out the first week? That removes one of our P5 matchups, as well as a ranked win. With the whole schedule taken into account, I see UGA at 21 and MCU at 54. I mean, I see why you'd take out the first week, it helps prove a point. ;p

Team rankings has the following as of 9/1

1 Alabama (0-0) 21.6 1 39 1
2 Clemson (0-0) 21.2 2 17 2
3 Oklahoma (0-0) 20.9 3 16 3
4 Florida St (0-0) 19.9 4 12 4
5 LSU (0-0) 19.1 5 18 5
6 Ohio State (0-0) 16.9 6 54 6
7 Tennessee (0-0) 16.3 7 64 7
8 Stanford (0-0) 16.3 8 63 8
9 Notre Dame (0-0) 16.2 9 17 9
10 Michigan (0-0) 16.2 10 61 10
11 Mississippi (0-0) 15.8 2 11 11
12 Washington (0-0) 14.8 12 60 12
13 Baylor (0-0) 13.8 13 103 13
14 Georgia (0-0) 12.6 13 21 14

What does all this prove?

That stats like this are meaningless and can prove any point you want.

andycapps

Team rankings has the following as of 9/1

1 Alabama (0-0) 21.6 1 39 1
2 Clemson (0-0) 21.2 2 17 2
3 Oklahoma (0-0) 20.9 3 16 3
4 Florida St (0-0) 19.9 4 12 4
5 LSU (0-0) 19.1 5 18 5
6 Ohio State (0-0) 16.9 6 54 6
7 Tennessee (0-0) 16.3 7 64 7
8 Stanford (0-0) 16.3 8 63 8
9 Notre Dame (0-0) 16.2 9 17 9
10 Michigan (0-0) 16.2 10 61 10
11 Mississippi (0-0) 15.8 2 11 11
12 Washington (0-0) 14.8 12 60 12
13 Baylor (0-0) 13.8 13 103 13
14 Georgia (0-0) 12.6 13 21 14

What does all this prove?

That stats like this are meaningless and can prove any point you want.
Exactly.

ryseing

"State" schools to win a national championship in our lifetimes?

1. Florida State
2. Ohio State (not sure they qualify since the name change to tMCU)

Any others? How old would you have to be to have witnessed anyone else?

It's from the Meltdown. I'm an NCSU fan. Needless to say we go full State all the time.

Ryuuroden

Talking about their entire schedule.

Of course it looks better when they throw out the big bad Bowling Green team they invited to the slaughter.

For what it's worth, bowling green won the MAC last year and the MAC has been beating up on power 5 conference teams in recent years including sec teams. As for the B1G playing cupcakes narrative the conference is playing the 2nd highest percentage of power 5 conference teams this year, 9 conference games and the lowest percentage of fcs foes (soon to be no fcs teams being played since the league has banned scheduling them. You can make any argument you want on what overall strength of schedules are but you can't say the B1G is not trying to at least raise the likelihood of stronger schedules.

Some stuff is just not up to the team's control. OSU has to play Rutgers and Indiana every year. OSU has future agreements to play TCU, Oregon, Texas, and Notre Dame. Two of those years OSU will play Texas and Notre Dame in the same year and in one of those two years we will also be playing Boston college, which yes is a shitty team right now but that's 3 power 5s ooc opponents in one year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

SWOc7jH.gif

Karl2177

Couldn't make beyond 4th string QB at UGA and transferred out last spring I think. Top player in SC when he was recruited, IIRC.
Hard to think he could be worse than 42.1 QBR, with 2 interceptions and a fumble. To be fair to Lanning, the line wasn't helping him at all.

Kingbrave

Just won tickets to Bristol to see VT and UT. God I hate UT.

Living in Southwest Virginia and being surrounded by UT fans is just...goddamn. I do live just an hour and a half from Knoxville but still.

Goddamn UT and their fans.

Go 'Noles!

Lonestar

Louisiana State is not a school. That is a made up name.

I always felt this way. Can't be a State/Tech/A&M, without a "non-state" school. Texas A&M to Texas, Michigan State to Michigan, Ohio State to Ohio.

There is no Louisiana.

LSU's official name is Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College.

LSUA&M.

Living in Southwest Virginia and being surrounded by UT fans is just...goddamn. I do live just an hour and a half from Knoxville but still.

Go 'Noles!
I always forget how close Virginia is to that corner of Tennessee. I imagine the little highway that goes from Gatlinburg to NC, eventually just goes to Virginia.

Some stuff is just not up to the team's control. OSU has to play Rutgers and Indiana every year. OSU has future agreements to play TCU, Oregon, Texas, and Notre Dame. Two of those years OSU will play Texas and Notre Dame in the same year and in one of those two years we will also be playing Boston college, which yes is a shitty team right now but that's 3 power 5s ooc opponents in one year.
I understand that, that's why I was talking about out of conference scheduling. Their SOS gets weakened by their conference not being very good top-to-bottom, but at least they are on the "good side" of the conference.

"Power 5 opponent" doesn't really impress anyone. Play a major program. At the very least a good program. The teams they've scheduled in the future show a commitment to that and that's awesome. Texas, ND and Boston College together makes for an incredible OOC schedule.

But for now, it's not very impressive watching them play Army and Bowling Green.

Join the party with the rest of these programs like Clemson, Georgia, FSU, Alabama, LSU, Wisconsin, etc. on that opening weekend tilt! It makes for a better viewing experience for fans of the sport.

tebunker

Banned

Go 'Noles!

Almost as obnoxious as growing up in Central Va and being surrounded by UVA and VT fans who have no clue about CFB.
I still have fond memories of the fall of 2009 when Alabama broke VT in half. Seeing all the folks I grew up with who went to Tech, invluding my best friend, not really understanf that they were just the beginning of the process was great.

I do however endorse your distatse for the Viles. Hoping VT pulls it off and whoops em good.

I always felt this way. Can't be a State/Tech/A&M, without a "non-state" school. Texas A&M to Texas, Michigan State to Michigan, Ohio State to Ohio.

There is no Louisiana.

LSU's official name is Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College.

LSUA&M.

I always forget how close Virginia is to that corner of Tennessee. I imagine the little highway that goes from Gatlinburg to NC, eventually just goes to Virginia.

Fun Fact, Ohio Sate used to be Ohio A&M

@SIPeteThamel 19m19 minutes ago
SOURCE: Iowa expected to announce a new contract and extension for coach Kirk Ferentz today.

That buyout getting bigger and bigger, enjoy your good season every 6 years Iowa!

Kingbrave

Yeah, just down 23 for a few minutes and then the interstate. Also fuck Gatlingburg.

Almost as obnoxious as growing up in Central Va and being surrounded by UVA and VT fans who have no clue about CFB.
I still have fond memories of the fall of 2009 when Alabama broke VT in half. Seeing all the folks I grew up with who went to Tech, invluding my best friend, not really understanf that they were just the beginning of the process was great.

I do however endorse your distatse for the Viles. Hoping VT pulls it off and whoops em good.

Yeah, I'm gonna be in a sea of orange and I'm gonna have to borrow some VT stuff or something.

Servbot24

Banned
SOURCE: Iowa expected to announce a new contract and extension for coach Kirk Ferentz today.

That buyout getting bigger and bigger, enjoy your good season every 6 years Iowa!

As much as I'm discontent with Ferentz at times, I also am too cynical to believe we'd hire anyone better.

All I ask is that we stay in the top 25 and not get blown out in our bowl game this year.

andycapps

I mean, if they're cool with the seasons he's been giving him it makes sense to re-sign him.

There is no Louisiana.

LSUA&M.

Are we simply treating the various Universities of Louisiana as aspirational directional schools? Claim the crown and you can swap the locational modifier for a THE like tOSU?

I don't understand some of these hiring decisions. Is Ferentz in such demand that you need to extend him out further for fear someone will claim him? Are the Iowa recruits wavering and this will put them over the top?

Karl2177

This pretty much means Iowa State will win this week and fans will be asking for Ferentz's head.

Honestly, Iowa is never going to be a big recruiting school, so a stable, solid, relatively clean guy like Ferentz that can punch above his weight every so often is good enough for me.

Meier

Honestly, Iowa is never going to be a big recruiting school, so a stable, solid, relatively clean guy like Ferentz that can punch above his weight every so often is good enough for me.

I agree with this mindset, but the dude is making $4.5 million a year. That's crazy.

Lonestar

yep, NASCAR, college FB, and Lynyrd Skynyrd playing a concert on top of the jumbotron.

With Peyton Manning selling Bud Lights to Tennessee fans in the stands.

Hey, Google maps even updated their image for Bristol, at least till when they must have laid down lines to get an idea of what it'd look like.

Using their measuring distance tool, the distance from the nearest endzone to the furthest away seat, is just short of 700 feet (not counting elevation)
what's an air traffic control tower doing on the 50 yard line? I guess thats where the race officials perch to count laps. But that probably wasn't cheap to move it.

I wish I still lived in Johnson City so I can experience the mayhem this weekend. That said I've been to both (races and Tennessee games), and this will not be as crazy NASCAR race. Nothing is worse than a NSCAR race being in town.

Still God bless UT and VT for doing this after decades of rumors. This is going to rule in it's own way.

My parents bought me a ticket for the UT/VT game (hometown is Bristol) but I didn't want to go. I have no desire to go home and deal with that shit. I read a few articles this morning saying campground owners are seeing more reservations than they get for races.

Hope my parents have decent seats.

Lonestar

those seats at the bottom....they're behind buildings! I know they aren't going to tear those down

I am not sure how I missed this, but my alma mater ETSU is playing at Bristol too on 9/17 against Western Carolina. Jesus that is going to be a ghost town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom