• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

dili

Unison said:
If FES adds 30 hours, about how long is the core game?
Quite long from what I've been hearing. like 70+ hr's or so. Some have said it took them over 100hrs. Very long game especially if you want to see everything the game has to offer.

Shouta

Unison said:
If FES adds 30 hours, about how long is the core game?

50-70 for most people. I've played the main game twice through and it took me 70 and 75 hours being very thorough.

duckroll

Unison said:
Is this a roguelike / a story-driven RPG / or a combination of both? The 256 level tower thing makes it sound like the former...

The tower is a roguelike, with checkpoints on certain floors and a teleporter at the bottom. Progressing in the tower is completely different from progressing storywise in the game though. Story progresses as you hit story events that occur on certain preset dates on the calander.

If you're an oldschool gamer who has experience with BBS Door games, think of P3 as a very very advanced modern version of LORD, with a shitload of IGMs installed.

Is that tower the only dungeon in the game?

Only real dungeon? Yes.

What is the point of all the school-stuff? Does it boost your battle stats or does it just advance the story?

Gameplay-wise it's linked to Persona options. Storywise, it's adds to the theme/atmosphere/character development.

What was the general impression of this in Japan... I know they released a SE... was the basic edition well received by Japanese GAFers?

Yes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hcoregamer00 said:
Would newcomers find it hard to get into this game because it is the third iteration?

I am asking this as a general question just because I am interested in this game, I just never played the previous games.
I dont think so since Persona 3 is completely different from P1/P2, it will take time to adjust to the spells names tho.

firex

heh, I should be finishing up etrian odyssey just in time for this to come out. So I'll probably get it at launch even though there's a ton of other games I'm still playing. I mean, what the hell, it's an Atlus game so I need to buy it asap anyway.

Sallokin

I'll be at Comic-Con when it launches so I hope there's a good stock being shipped to San Diego so I can pick it up while I'm there. Can't wait!

Pazuzu

Banned
I thought I was done with PS2 games, but this looks great. I'm in. I just wish there was a PSP version, because I would have more time to play it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'll be at Comic-Con when the game comes out too...

But thankfully I've already played through the US review version of the game. :)

If anyone has any questions regarding the US version, feel free to ask, make sure to use spoiler tags if need be!

Sirusjr

Banned
Can't wait. Ill likely buy the strategy guide at gamestop when I pick up the game to add to my already large collection of Doublejump guides. If it really is 50-70 hours long thats awesome and I hope I am able to beat it before blue dragon.

Sallokin

Sirusjr said:
Can't wait. Ill likely buy the strategy guide at gamestop when I pick up the game to add to my already large collection of Doublejump guides. If it really is 50-70 hours long thats awesome and I hope I am able to beat it before blue dragon.

Is there anything special about the guide (like LE or something)?

Sirusjr

Banned
Sallokin said:
Is there anything special about the guide (like LE or something)?
Not that I know of. Doublejump still hastn't done anything limited edition. It should be noted that it will be small sized like the Disgaea 2 guide before it but using the flexible paper from the Rogue Galaxy guide.

zurra

I guess I'll be picking up my copy during comic con as well... the more i see of this game, the less i can resist a purchase...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The game took me about 51 hours to beat, I didn't use an FAQ/Guide, the game is fairly straightforward, but I'm sure I missed tons of stuff... I realized this after checking some forums/FAQs after beating the game...

I can totally see how some people spend way more time on the game... I was rushing' it a bit lol....

I still stand by this game as my best gaming experience of 2007... :)

mollipen

Sirusjr said:

I can tell you that I got beyond 70 hours with the game easily, and I didn't think I was really stalling for time all that much. At least, I wasn't trying to.

This game looks awesome. Already preordered game and guide, I hope they'll arrive no more than 2-3 days after the 24th here in Italy becuase I just can't wait for it.

@MarkMan: where can I read your review ?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
irriducibile87 said:
This game looks awesome. Already preordered game and guide, I hope they'll arrive no more than 2-3 days after the 24th here in Italy becuase I just can't wait for it.

@MarkMan: where can I read your review ?

My review isn't up yet, but I'll link it next week.

Ravidrath

Sorta unrelated, but...

I want an unadulterated version of one of the wallpapers on the site - the one that irriducibile87's avatar is cut out of. Anyone have such a thing, or am I gonna have to try to bug Nich?

TimeKillr

duckroll said:
If you're an oldschool gamer who has experience with BBS Door games, think of P3 as a very very advanced modern version of LORD, with a shitload of IGMs installed.

Sold!

(okay, so I was already sold on it, but this takes the cake!)

LORD was the quintessential door game, with TradeWars 2002 as a close second.

Kuran

Banned
Crunchtime on my lingering backlog has started..

How about everyone waits a week to play the game, so us euro-gaffers can play with you? We have to keep shipment in mind!

birdchili

i feel a sick sense of obligation to finish devil summoner before starting this... i actually though my will to resist would be strong, but the urge to play something turn-based grows mightily.

...still not sold on ai teammates though. is letting them explore on their own a good strategy? it seems like splitting the party is just asking for trouble.

Notes
----------
3) free Himuro
heh.

Shouta

birdchili said:
i feel a sick sense of obligation to finish devil summoner before starting this... i actually though my will to resist would be strong, but the urge to play something turn-based grows mightily.

...still not sold on ai teammates though. is letting them explore on their own a good strategy? it seems like splitting the party is just asking for trouble.

heh.

Yes, splitting them up can be a good strategy in some cases. You cover more ground quickly and you don't have to face danger in some cases. If the hero dies at any point, it's game over so it can be safer in some instances to split up.

Mugen

Banned
Good news that this game will be making it over to us without censorship. Very surprised about that. Bad news about Atlus taking over a year to localize this game though.

I'm in Europe but anyway if it ever comes out I want to first know something.
How developed are the sim school parts? I mean is this Bully like where it's only a side part of the game or it's like a true sim game? Like let's say Harvest Moon with all the girls aspect and so on.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, the change in the settings plus nice impressions and this thread definitely sealed the deal for me, thanks! :)

I am planning on pre-ordering P3 when I go to pick up the strat guide. Unfortunately none of the gamestop/ebgames employees have any clue when the guide will start appearing in stores.

I am going to be going out of town the beginning of next week, so I hope they will arrive on or before Friday.

mollipen

Prime crotch said:
I'm in Europe but anyway if it ever comes out I want to first know something.
How developed are the sim school parts? I mean is this Bully like where it's only a side part of the game or it's like a true sim game? Like let's say Harvest Moon with all the girls aspect and so on.

Not nearly as developed as I'd like to see, but more developed than I was expecting. For example, the summer festival was pretty disappointing: you went to it and had a quick event, where I would have liked the chance to run around and actually do some of the little games they have there. On the other hand, I wasn't expecting to have as many people to "develope" relationships with, and each character that you do such with has an honest to goodness interesting storyline that I always wanted to see how it turned out.

There are some actual school events that take place - such as midterms where you actually have to remember what you've learned throughout the year to answer a couple of test questions. Mostly, though, the game focuses more on the various characters you meet themselves and you getting to know them, and less on, say, the actual events that normally take place at the school. (You can join a club and go to it, for example, but you can't actually do anything at that club.)

I think, for what it tried to do, and what I expected based on previous Persona titles, they really put a lot of time and effort into this game. The downside, though, is now I want a Persona 4 that is WAY more developed and open-ended, and anything less will be a disappointment.

dili

Who cares about the triple f in the banner. :\

I didn't even notice it and probably never would have had someone had not have mentioned it.

Tokubetsu

Anyone buy the double jump guide yet? I'm thinking im gonna order it and pre-order P3 tomorrow but I'd like to know what I can expect fromt he guide (Never had a DJ guide before.) Is it in color? how's formatting etc? pictures would be helpful.

careksims

I just pre-ordered this today. I bought the P3 Official Design Works artbook a couple weeks back. Beautiful stuff in that one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah biznatches! If I preordered mine from Amazon many moons ago, can I assume that I snagged an SE with all of the extra booty?

WalkMan

Banned
Mejilan said:
Yeah biznatches! If I preordered mine from Amazon many moons ago, can I assume that I snagged an SE with all of the extra booty?
All of the Persona 3s are SE much like Digital Devil Saga 1.

Top Bottom