• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

dili

Tokubetsu said:
Anyone buy the double jump guide yet? I'm thinking im gonna order it and pre-order P3 tomorrow but I'd like to know what I can expect fromt he guide (Never had a DJ guide before.) Is it in color? how's formatting etc? pictures would be helpful.
It's in color,264 pages,and small sized (not the large magazine type) If you're familiar with DoubleJump guides like Nocturne's especially,then you should have a great idea of what to expect from Persona 3's guide. VERY useful and quality guides.....trust me.

I wish there were pictures of it as well. I'd love to see a peak of it before I buy it ...

Lain

While I'll have to wait more than a week to get my hands on P3 once it gets released (because of shipping times) I'll comfort myself thinking that thursday I'll be receiving my Mitsuru Kirijo figure.

dili

Lain said:
While I'll have to wait more than a week to get my hands on P3 once it gets released (because of shipping times) I'll comfort myself thinking that thursday I'll be receiving my Mitsuru Kirijo figure.
I want both the Aegis and the Mitsuru figures myself. :D

Hopefully a Yukari pvc statue is not to far off either.

Sallokin said:
Is there anything special about the guide (like LE or something)?

They're just really fucking good. Comprehensive without being spoiler-tastic. And if you don't have a lot of free time and want to squeeze the most out of an rpg on one play through, I'd say it'll probably be worth buying going by the quality of their previous efforts.

Brady Games DQ guides (well, just VIII and Rocket Slime thus far) and DoubleJump's are pretty much the only guides I tend to buy. If my credit card wsn't close to being maxed out at the moment I'd have already pre-ordered a Persona 3 guidebook.

I was kind of pissed that DJ didn't do guides for the Digital Devil Saga games, but the Nocturne one didn't do too well I think.

MrDaravon

Also some (but not all) DJ guides jump in value a lot, and become hard to find quickly. The Nocturne guide was going for $60+ last time I looked.

Jirotrom

Takeda Kenshi said:
Their guide for SMT3 was absolutely amazing. So much frickin info jam packed into its pages. Prima and Brady take note. :p
yeah I have that guide...just got it:D Its really heavy...reminds me of the quality Working designs Guides from back in the day.

Tokubetsu

SailorDaravon said:
Also some (but not all) DJ guides jump in value a lot, and become hard to find quickly. The Nocturne guide was going for $60+ last time I looked.

I'm surprised you actually found it lol. I've only been able to find one in good condition that someone was willing to sell. I don't think their guides are THAT rare anymore, Disgaea and SMT3 are the games where their guides are next to impossible to find now.

Alts

I've had this game reserved for about a year it feels like. About time.

edit: By the way, where'd Himuro go after the ban? I know he had a blog somewhere...

kiryogi

Banned
Kirijou <3! :D Can't wait for the Alter Aegis.

kirijou.png

funnily enoguh, you can find pics of this model with her skirt off over @ the Atlus forums. Not me of course. :p

mollipen

My girl still owes me a (very late) birthday present, so I asked her to pick up Mitsuru for me. If she doesn't, then I'll pick up Mitsuru when I (hopefully) also pick up Aigis when I'm over there in August.

I really hope we hear more character announcements soon, though.

mollipen

kiryogi said:
That's "Aegis" damn you!

See, I supported that spelling when I though her name was pronounced "aye-jis." Once I found out the proper pronunciation, and got to know her as "Aigis," that's all she can ever be to me.

And just wait until oct for this one:

I much prefer the face on this one to the 1/7th... I mean really, what happened there... but if I'm getting Mitsuru and possible other future releases, then I'm going to have to stick to the proper set. And no way could I justify two different models for her.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dammit, why do they always JUST do models for the chicks? I want a Koromaru and a Junpei model. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kiryogi said:
Well the market for models/figures, usually only want females :p

Damn sexless otaku! Get a girlfriend, so they`ll start making something I WOULDN`T be embarassed to keep on my shelf!

dili

Persona 3 is an amazingly unique title for the Playstation 2. Even if you're not a fan of dungeon crawls, Persona 3 deserves your attention for its maturity alone. Gamers that are sick of typical JRPG settings will love the new atmosphere and relish the creepy style. Though the Dark Hour segments can get repetitive at times, the high school events break up the routine and also give the game a decent amount of replay value. If you're looking for that last great RPG for the PS2 that also offers a totally unique experience, you owe it to yourself to pickup Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3.
Nice

I'm still intrested in what GI had to say about Persona 3 in there review as well.

thetrin

Jirotrom said:
this comes with the game correct? Ireceicved my DJ guide btw:D they stopped glossing the pages though:(

Nope. It's a japanese artbook I found at my local book store. You'll have to import it if you want it.

dili

I wish we had images at least of the artbook we are getting and the box it comes in with the game. But I guess we'll have to wait till someone gets an early copy and decides to take pictures of it. I'm guessing the artbook will most likely not be anything special,especially compared to the P3 design works.

mollipen

thetrin said:
Dammit, why do they always JUST do models for the chicks? I want a Koromaru and a Junpei model. :(

I'm really hoping that the line does good enough to also get us the male characters, but... I'm not going to be holding my breath. I mean, at LEAST get us Junpei and Akihiko.

Aeana

I received the DoubleJump guide yesterday, and it's really nice. I especially like how the page design mimics the design of the in-game interface - a very nice touch, indeed. I haven't taken the time to look at any of the content in-depth just yet, but the appendix appears to be rather large, just like the SMT3 guide's.

Tamanon

Banned
I picked up the Nocturne and Disgaea 2 ones at my local Gamestop. Of course they'll be in limited supply, naturally.

shidoshi said:
Can Double Jump books typically be found at a local store? Or should I just do an internet order and get it over with?

I just picked up a copy of the guide at ebgames today. As far as I know they (ebgames/gamestop) are the only "local store" that carry doublejump guides.

I have never seen doublejump guides sold in-store at Barnes and Nobles, Borders, Target, Walmart ect.

Then again, maybe that is just due to where I live.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I've seen the guide at GameCrazy stores as well...

Although I hear GameCrazy's are going the way of the dodo....

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
OK, here's the deal. I made my way through DDS1 (not going after any optional boss though) and a major part of DDS2. I also played SMT3, which seemed quite managable until I got totally steam rolled by bosses a few hours into the game, which made me lose interest quickly.

So I have only one question: How hard is this game compared to DDS1 and 2 and SMT3? And compared to other JRPGs? Can a normal human being survive from beginning to end without too much trouble (but still experience a fair challenge along the way)?

I actually have two questions! Does it have a good amount of story (and any voice acting?)?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the general impressions seem to indicate that P3 is easier than DDS/Nocturne. still expect a challenge because while easier than those 2, P3 IS a mega-ten game meaning that the game is harder than your average jRPG.

yes there is voice acting, dont really know about how much story content the game has since I havent played it but judging from impressions and whatnot, seems the game has more story than say... Nocturne.

Mugen

Banned
thetrin said:
Damn sexless otaku! Get a girlfriend, so they`ll start making something I WOULDN`T be embarassed to keep on my shelf!

You've got problems if you're embarrassed buy a mere female figurine.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Error said:
the general impressions seem to indicate that P3 is easier than DDS/Nocturne. still expect a challenge because while easier than those 2, P3 IS a mega-ten game meaning that the game is harder than your average jRPG.

yes there is voice acting, dont really know about how much story content the game has since I havent played it but judging from impressions and whatnot, seems the game has more story than say... Nocturne.

Thanks man, sounds promising. And it's being released on my birthday, maybe it's a sign!

Mugen said:
You've got problems if you're embarrassed buy a mere female figurine.

That figure up there... in this thread... you can take her skirt off.
And you know what... there's camel toe.

That's a bit much don't ya think?

Lain

That's true for most of all of them, isn't it (I don't really know, this is my first figure, I only have some Disgaea figurines other than this)?
Anyways, the figure is really beautiful!
Got mine today and I'm extremely happy. Now to wait on P3 to release (and the 2 Aegis/Aigis figures)!

mollipen

shidoshi said:
Speaking of that banner... somebody bring us the original image please.

You know shidoshi, that's a damn fine question. I was wondering that myself!

Also... I don't want to say too much and jinx it, but I might have a little P3-related surprise for everybody tomorrow. (Er... before things go spiraling horribly out of control, no, it has nothing to do with FES.)

Top Bottom