• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

Aeana

zoukka said:
5 hours in and still going though there are some major cry am:s.

Fighting is too easy. Only fatigue and sickness get in the way sometimes.
There's not enough Tartarus crawling (I can't believe I said so)
Catchy music with shitty vocals. And you listen to them WAY TOO OFTEN.
Social links seem shallow and there's really not a doubt what answers/decicions are the correct ones. My biggest disappointment with the game so far.

I guess SMT games are not for me. I'm still going to finish it though.

What you described is mostly everything Persona 3 does not have in common with the rest of the Megami Tensei series... P3 is quite different, and barely feels like a Megami Tensei game to me.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
zoukka said:
5 hours in and still going though there are some major cry am:s.

Fighting is too easy. Only fatigue and sickness get in the way sometimes.
There's not enough Tartarus crawling (I can't believe I said so)
Catchy music with shitty vocals. And you listen to them WAY TOO OFTEN.
Social links seem shallow and there's really not a doubt what answers/decicions are the correct ones. My biggest disappointment with the game so far.
Lawl. Where are you?
Fatigue stops happening so often later on. I crawled a lot last night until someone got tired. the battles are really tense, I made a mistake and died on floor 45 or so. :(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I wonder what he would be his opinion about the game's difficulty when he starts going against tartarus bosses.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Error said:
I wonder what he would be his opinion about the game's difficulty when he starts going against tartarus bosses.

Yeah, some of them really feel like going right into a wall :lol

zoukka

Well just beat the Monorail boss and I'm glad to hear there will be some challenge. And sure P3 is way different that let's say Nocturne, but there are things I miss from that game. Like the enemies that now are just personas and the fierce battles (not a single challenging bout so far).

Last night I quite enjoyed it. The musics with vocals are probably my biggest source of annoyance right now. I wish they were some language I didn't understand :/

zoukka

Yes the second block got me going again! Died when random monsters cast Mudo on my main. On the second try I encountered two Steel Gigas (Hogans) and almost got wiped out. Man challenge improved so much this game for me.

Is Orpheus somehow rare? Should I register it before fusing?

And I sure could use a Persona with light-skills cause those Mudo-bastards are annoying ;)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Farore said:
That's where I stopped playing... second block [after monorail]... the difficulty just jumped up and I think I'm underleveled...
bubububububut it's SO EASY

Vorador

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
oh shit.. FES INCLUDES P3?

Is there any reason to hold onto Persona 3 (haven't even opened it)

The small artbook and partial OST that P3 SE (the only edition sold in NA) had aren't included in P3 FES. So if you want to keep them...

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
zoukka said:
Um if you don't have the right skills then no.

But if you plan things it shouldn't be too hard. One of the more harder RPG:s still for sure.

Even if you plan for things, you're still going to have a few rough spots. The game is not a breeze, but it is manageable.

Sagitario

Error said:
bubububububut it's SO EASY

I never said such thing... :(

Help, please?

What skills and Personae should I have?
Is there a site with all the names/types/elements of the spells/skills... I'm not used to the SMT naming system...

zoukka

Well just fuse personas with all the basic element attacks. I had a persona in that point, that had agi, bufu and garu, which helped a lot. You need zio for many enemies in there.

And if you encounter some baddies just change in a persona with resistance to their attacks.

And you could definately have light skills for one of your personae, cuz in the second block there are these mothafuckas that cast mudo all the time. Fuckers.

Sagitario

zoukka said:
Well just fuse personas with all the basic element attacks. I had a persona in that point, that had agi, bufu and garu, which helped a lot. You need zio for many enemies in there.

The problem is: I've no idea what those skills do or what element they are... Their names tell me nothing [as I said, I'm not used to the naming system of the SMT world]

When fusing, are the skills generated/inherited randomly?

Teasel

Farore said:
The problem is: I've no idea what those skills do or what element they are... Their names tell me nothing [as I said, I'm not used to the naming system of the SMT world]

ok...
agi - fire
bufu - ice
garu - wind
zio - thunder
hama - expel
mudo - death
all the other spells have variant that indicates if it target a group and how much powerfull is it
as for skills inherited... they are random but some persona can't never learn some skills (so for example no ice skills on a fire persona)

Proven

Farore said:

Basically, with any game with it's own naming system that's new to me (most RPGs really, I skip around a lot), I do a couple things to make things easier on myself.

First, always read the spell descriptions. Then read them again. And again. I read them every single time before I use them because I find the second I stop, I use the wrong element. It's actually kinda funny when you watch it.

Second, stick to using only one or two types for my character so I can memorize what they do. After beating a boss or two, or gaining 10 levels, or whenever I just feel comfortable, I open up and try learning some others.

Third, always keep the manual nearby. Especially if you can't read the spell descriptions in battle, the manual will (or at least should) always have a description of spell types for at least the first handful of spells you'll run into. One of the things I was happy about when I first played Persona 3 was that the spell system was mostly simple. There were just six main elements and a bunch of different support spells that I generally used items and party members to handle. Hell, it's why I adore the Persona 3 battle system, not a ton of crazy choices and yet so much freedom and the enemies are only given these exact same choices to fight with that you have access to. The only way the game gets unfair is that they later block you from inflicting statuses on bosses.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jesus christ this game doesn't end.
90 hours and I'm not even through with August yet.

zoku88

U K Narayan said:
I finally did it.

I beat Persona 3.

Fucking wicked (and long!) last boss fight.

Can't wait for FES.
Darn it, you beat it at almost the same time I died at the final boss T_T

I was so close, and then it had to use the move that dmgs for so much and causes status ailments.

zoku88 said:
Darn it, you beat it at almost the same time I died at the final boss T_T

I was so close, and then it had to use the move that dmgs for so much and causes status ailments.
Just use my method.

Messiah for every Arcana shuffle before Death (just use weapon attacks and have Yukari perform healing and support), then -- on Death, just use the Lucifer + Satan fusion "Armageddon". It'll wipe his ass off the floor.

That's what I did. It was all pretty easy. Hah, with that aforementioned fusion - you can even kill The Reaper in one fucking move. I did it - and was like: "WHAT NOW, BITCH?!"

Awesome stuff. :lol

RevenantKioku

U K Narayan said:
I finished at 132-hours. I did as much as I could.

This has to be the longest game I've ever played in my life.
DQ7 took me well over that, haha.
It's not so much that it's a bad thing. I just have a growing backlog. "/

RevenantKioku said:
DQ7 took me well over that, haha.
It's not so much that it's a bad thing. I just have a growing backlog. "/

I clocked in somewhere around 90 hours. It's a long game to be sure, but I remember clocking in over 70 before even coming close to finishing the first disc of DQ7.

zoku88

U K Narayan said:
Just use my method.

Messiah for every Arcana shuffle before Death (just use weapon attacks and have Yukari perform healing and support), then -- on Death, just use the Lucifer + Satan fusion "Armageddon". It'll wipe his ass off the floor.

That's what I did. It was all pretty easy. Hah, with that aforementioned fusion - you can even kill The Reaper in one fucking move. I did it - and was like: "WHAT NOW, BITCH?!"

Awesome stuff. :lol
YAAAY, I beat it. I ended up using Thanatos and that's it XD. I did Tempest Slash through most of the battle, doing about 400 dmg each time XD Koro got the last hit, though. Witha 75 dmg hit >.>

It took me about an hour.

EDIT: WAIT, WHAT!?? I just read that. You're so overpowered >.>

zoukka

20 hours in and I'm definately liking it. The weakest part of the game so far is the story. Shitty anime school/mystery settings doesn't help it and the characters are bland and thin. And retarded as always.

Otherwise the progression is nice and social links work. I'm just wondering what I should do about the persimmon tree? I've tried to talk to everyone about the dead son being a teacher and all, but no one reacts. Do you need some other link to grow, to be able to continue this one? Like the student council??

Fighting is still easy. Intrepid Knight offered some resistance, but fell pretty quickly. I fuse personas constantly so there's really no "bonding" with the personas which is a shame. I love the detailed art in this game, though it isn't Kanekos work. And they need to update the 3d-models of the monsters in the next installment.

RevenantKioku

aljfklads;bfklsdaflksjerkl
Damn mamudo killing everyone but the main and then them getting multiple crits on me to end the game.

zoukka

Himuro said:

I'm not afraid of ghosts you dummy!
Hey let's kick those rich kids asses rite!
In my studies I have come to the conclusion, that the stronger monsters come every full moon!
(orly!)

I don't like the fact that you have to kiss ass in social linking either. You really need to play dumb to get some of the links to grow. It's like you can't really "help" the characters or try to convince them, rather you just nod every time they say something.

Like that "strength arcana" girl, she complains she doesn't want to do homework, and that she has to write a whopping three-page essee about it. I just wanted to say "bitch, get over it", but you have to reply like "yeah school is boring" and shit.

I bought the Devil Summoner and tried it just a little, and boy do I wish P3 would end quickly :lol

Damn mamudo killing everyone but the main and then them getting multiple crits on me to end the game.

Try to find Homunculuses or fuse a persona with resistance to LIGHT/DARK. It really helps. (I keep Oberon with those all times as my main persona and switch it away if needed).

RevenantKioku

zoukka said:
Try to find Homunculuses or fuse a persona with resistance to LIGHT/DARK. It really helps. (I keep Oberon with those all times as my main persona and switch it away if needed).
Try reading.

Delio

So i am kinda stuck at these three bloody tanks. There a floor mini boss and i figured i could take them after the laughably easy Full moon boss but my god they basically wrecked me. Recommend what level i should be? At the moment i am Lv 37 with Lv 30+ persona's with various skills. Any advice would be nice.

RevenantKioku

Delio said:
So i am kinda stuck at these three bloody tanks. There a floor mini boss and i figured i could take them after the laughably easy Full moon boss but my god they basically wrecked me. Recommend what level i should be? At the moment i am Lv 37 with Lv 30+ persona's with various skills. Any advice would be nice.
Little more detail than that maybe?

zoukka

Ledsen said:
I finished in about 76 hours, but I usually play RPGs as fast as I can because they're so god damn long :lol

How did you play this one? (76 hours oh shitfuck)

EDIT: Oh dude the agony... good game this is, but way too long.

Ledsen

zoukka said:
How did you play this one? (76 hours oh shitfuck)

Well I certainly didn't rush, but I didn't explore everything either... as you can see in this thread many people go over 100 hours, but I'm sure if you rushed you could finish it in 60 or something.

RevenantKioku

Delio said:
Sure i realized that after a while that the info was vauge lol. I'm on floor 122 and the tanks are named Arcane Turret.
That was fairly easy for me. They're ice-weak so I just abused that.
The next boss though. Wtf. He just took out everyone in one attack.

zoku88

Ledsen said:
I finished in about 76 hours, but I usually play RPGs as fast as I can because they're so god damn long :lol
Ah, darn. I usually finish pretty fast, too, but this one took me 80hr and 57 min >.>

RevenantKioku

Well, looks like I need to research options because this is not working out well.
Floor 135. Fuck you, guy.

RevenantKioku said:
You know what? Out of every RPG that I've played. Persona 3 is the one where I died the most. The game can be pretty difficult, sometimes.

RevenantKioku

U K Narayan said:
You know what? Out of every RPG that I've played. Persona 3 is the one where I died the most. The game can be pretty difficult, sometimes.
I wouldn't really call this 'difficulty'.
My one gripe with the series is the whole 'main guy dead = game over' bit.

RevenantKioku

Seriously, this protagonist dies means game over has to be axed from these games. Such a goddamned time waster because the enemy happens to get a critical hit. A critical hit! I can't protect against that. There's no preparation for when your team is at full health, enemy gets a crit, another one does a multi magic to all, the healer set on heal does the goddamned weakest healing spell to heal everyone and then I get another crit and die. No preperation is done for that kind of shit! Fuck!
Let me control everybody or don't let the damn game end when I've got a stack of revive items and a fucking healer with revive spells. Shit.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
zoukka said:
20 hours in and I'm definately liking it. The weakest part of the game so far is the story. Shitty anime school/mystery settings doesn't help it and the characters are bland and thin. And retarded as always.

Then stop playing, because everything from 20 hours on... is the thing you apparently hate.

And if you're calling the game long at 20 hours, you won't make it to 90 or 100

Danj

RevenantKioku said:
Let me control everybody or don't let the damn game end when I've got a stack of revive items and a fucking healer with revive spells. Shit.

It's looking as if this might be fixed in Persona 4; of course all we have to go on at the moment are Famitsu scans and the DVD trailer.

Danj

El_TigroX said:
And if you're calling the game long at 20 hours, you won't make it to 90 or 100

Yeah seriously, long game is loooooooooooooong. Why is it that people seem to think 10 hours is a good length for a game nowadays and 20 hours is too long? I'd much rather have the better value for money option.

Proven

RevenantKioku said:
Seriously, this protagonist dies means game over has to be axed from these games. Such a goddamned time waster because the enemy happens to get a critical hit. A critical hit! I can't protect against that. There's no preparation for when your team is at full health, enemy gets a crit, another one does a multi magic to all, the healer set on heal does the goddamned weakest healing spell to heal everyone and then I get another crit and die. No preperation is done for that kind of shit! Fuck!

I remember how upset I was getting against some of those floor bosses.

The options I had to combat them:

Become the main healer. With the compendium and fusions I was able to come up with spells that, although costly towards my MP (requiring me to risk some turns on using items), I was able to keep myself and everyone alive and depend on the rest of the team for attacking.

Focus on critical hits yourself. Worked well in combination to the other option, until you get knocked down yourself (heh). Critical hits are the one thing bosses of all types can't defend against, unless they have physical block abilities. I would focus every turn on getting as many as I can knocked down, and the one or two that managed to stay up I could heal what they did. This also ends up involving doing lots of damage, possibly using status buffs and debuffs to your advantage, and needing the Knock Down strategy. I went through a third of Tarturus using this strategy with a mix of Aigis, Junpei, Ken, Koromaru, and Ahkihiko (I'm spelling so many things wrong in that sentence...). Ken and Koromaru especially have either stats or attacks that increase the chance of critical hits (and with Hama and Mudo, they need a bit more luck than the other characters anyway).

Use counter and shield abilities/items/accessories. This is awesome as it can affect bosses, but you want to avoid the shield items that reflect spells later in the game as you'll be faced with bosses that will start on Almighty type spells to spite you. Then again, I beat one boss this way by having myself and Yukari healing, Mitsuru semi-healing, and Junpei attacking. I ended up having to do this just so they wouldn't use any spells that would knock down anybody (the only good thing about being against Almighty spells, as they love to do a shit-ton of damage).

Delio

RevenantKioku said:
That was fairly easy for me. They're ice-weak so I just abused that.
The next boss though. Wtf. He just took out everyone in one attack.

Funny i stumbled apon there weakness that night by randomly using a Mabufu gem and knocking one down. So i went and reformed my team with Me,Mitsuru,Yukari and Shinjiro. We where able to plow thru it with me and Mitsuru using Mabufu lol. Now that next boss plowed thru me >.< So i am spending time leveling for a while.

Top Bottom