• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Splatt said:
Since this thread has been revived, does anyone have any tips?

Tips...in general?

Carry at least 1 persona with each of the agi/garu/zio/bufu/dia skills. Make sure your party has a healer besides you, and vary up the strike/pierce/slash weapons....keep upgrading/getting new persona....I admit I don't know exactly what you're looking for.

RickA238

Best tip I can give to progress through this game:

Every time you reach a new segment of dungeon, make a mad dash for the stairs and avoid/run from all enemies. You'll reach the next teleport point in like 15 minutes, so you can go back and save the game, albeit 10 floors higher. Repeat this until you reach the boss or the closed off staircase, and then just level up at the highest floor that you can without dying. This saves you a lot of headaches and wasted time from dying while trying to fight monsters and reach new floors in Tantalus.

Proven

RickA238 said:
Best tip I can give to progress through this game:

Every time you reach a new segment of dungeon, make a mad dash for the stairs and avoid/run from all enemies. You'll reach the next teleport point in like 15 minutes, so you can go back and save the game, albeit 10 floors higher. Repeat this until you reach the boss or the closed off staircase, and then just level up at the highest floor that you can without dying. This saves you a lot of headaches and wasted time from dying while trying to fight monsters and reach new floors in Tantalus.

Basically, don't try to do too much at once. Going to the first floor not only allows you to save but gives you a free heal on everyone, so don't be an idiot and go through floors for hours without taking a visit back to the first. When in a new block, test a few enemies to see how strong you are, decide whether to level or make for the next floor boss, and then assess its strength.

Yaweee

Agreed. Don't level up AND make progress at the same time. You'll kill enough enemies doing the quests to gain all the levels you need.

I can't believe X-Play just spoiled the ending of the game in their FES review. I have some friends who couldn't nab P3 when it first game out that are going to be really pissed after watching that review.

Yaweee

ErinIsADrunk said:
I can't believe X-Play just spoiled the ending of the game in their FES reviews. I have some friends who couldn't nab P3 when it first game out that are going to be really pissed after watching that review.

Wow, that's pretty terrible.

However, the opening basically told you
REMEMBER YOU WILL DIE

TheExodu5

Banned
cpro said:
Agreed. Don't level up AND make progress at the same time. You'll kill enough enemies doing the quests to gain all the levels you need.

What exactly do you mean by "don't level up AND make progress at the same time"?

Yaweee

TheExodu5 said:
What exactly do you mean by "don't level up AND make progress at the same time"?

Don't go out of your way to fight enemies while trying to make your way to a higher floor/checkpoint. Do them in mutually exclusive sojourns into Tartarus.

TheExodu5

Banned
cpro said:
Don't go out of your way to fight enemies while trying to make your way to a higher floor/checkpoint. Do them in mutually exclusive sojourns into Tartarus.

How should I be tackling on Tartarus? Should I be going every few nights? Or isn't there some kind of "day before the full moon" glitch where I can level all I want?

Yaweee

TheExodu5 said:
How should I be tackling on Tartarus? Should I be going every few nights? Or isn't there some kind of "day before the full moon" glitch where I can level all I want?

I thought you already beat the game...

Your characters will eventually get tired each night, but the number of fights allowed per night increases as you gain levels. In the original, you don't get tired the night before full moons. In FES, you do, but even if a character is tired they won't leave your party on those nights.

What I meant is basically what the previous poster had said-- make a trip to the boss floor to get that save point, THEN go back and grind. You'll minimize losses that way.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ahh ok. And no, I've only played it for maybe 10 hours or so (got maybe 15 floors down). I didn't get into it initially. I've been wanting to get back into it, but have decided to hold off until FES. Now, Nocturne is really making me want to play P3. I'm loving Nocturne, but P3 seems to have quite a few improvements in the gameplay department (visible enemies, visible weakness on the enemies after you scan them once is a big plus too). Only thing that's kind of bugging me about Nocturne is the really high encounter rate.

As for P3...I need to find a good way of balancing social and Tartarus...I could never seem to get a good mix when I first tried.

Yaweee

TheExodu5 said:
Ahh ok. And no, I've only played it for maybe 10 hours or so (got maybe 15 floors down). I didn't get into it initially. I've been wanting to get back into it, but have decided to hold off until FES. Now, Nocturne is really making me want to play P3. I'm loving Nocturne, but P3 seems to have quite a few improvements in the gameplay department (visible enemies, visible weakness on the enemies after you scan them once is a big plus too). Only thing that's kind of bugging me about Nocturne is the really high encounter rate.

As for P3...I need to find a good way of balancing social and Tartarus...I could never seem to get a good mix when I first tried.

Estoma Estoma Estoma Estoma Estoma. Get it and love it forever.

JoeBroni

Neo Member
ErinIsADrunk said:
I can't believe X-Play just spoiled the ending of the game in their FES review. I have some friends who couldn't nab P3 when it first game out that are going to be really pissed after watching that review.

Color me pissed. I've been going through P3 for about two months now. A few hours there, a few hours there, that kind of thing. All in about 30 hours so far and totally digging it. I get why it gets all the gaf love. I pre-ordered FES, saw the review coming up on XPlay and Blam! Spoiler in the face. Bah!

Keep the "that's what you get for watching X-Play" crap, k thnx

zoukka

I'm 30 hours in too and this has become the game that I play while listening to my records. I hate some of the songs in the game and they just play over and over and over again until your ears bleed. Also I only play P3 while I'm exhausted because it can be played eyes half-closed and with one hand... yeah it's that "exciting"

I'm really not sure if I'm going to finish this. If I get another game and it doesn't suck, I'm sure to play it instead of P3. Feels kind of bad to stop playing after 30h, but I don't play games to "achieve" something. As a kid maybe but now I don't have time for that shit.

I'll trade this for Nocturne as soon it's finished or I decide to stop playing.

God it would make this a better game, if they replaced the party members with the Personae and would let you control them.

Yaweee

zoukka said:
I'm 30 hours in too and this has become the game that I play while listening to my records. I hate some of the songs in the game and they just play over and over and over again until your ears bleed. Also I only play P3 while I'm exhausted because it can be played eyes half-closed and with one hand... yeah it's that "exciting"

I'm really not sure if I'm going to finish this. If I get another game and it doesn't suck, I'm sure to play it instead of P3. Feels kind of bad to stop playing after 30h, but I don't play games to "achieve" something. As a kid maybe but now I don't have time for that shit.

God it would make this a better game, if they replaced the party members with the Personae and would let you control them.

I'd recommend stopping. Persona 3 is all how about how much you let its many flaws bother you. Despite all of the aspects I hated (low difficulty, single party member control, not enough to fill the nights), it still kept my attention to the end, but if its not doing that for you, then there's no point. However, if despite it all you still find it interesting, stick with it.

As much as is maligned about the soundtrack, the only track that really rapes my ears is the second semester school music (Changing Seasons). The map music (Moons Reaching Out) actually worked very well, and the regular battle music tends to just fade into the background. And oh how I love "The Battle for Everybody's Soul". Best last boss music ever? I say yes.

I'm a bit curious as to what Meguro's future direction with soundtracks will be. FES has no new vocal tracks except for the opening, while the P4 trailer has like 3 out of 7 vocal tracks. Is he dialing it down a bit, or surging forward again for the sequel?

Volcynika

I'm not sure if anyone pointed out, but if you haven't beaten the original P3, don't watch Xplay's review of FES, since they pretty much spoil the first game.

Yaweee

Even what they describe about P3's ending doesn't make any sense without playing FES, and is only a small part of the ending. Furthermore,
they tell you what will happen in the opening movie.

Volcynika

Maybe so, but I don't know. Sounded odd to hear during the review, and wasn't sure if people that missed it the first go around should hear it.

Proven

zoukka said:

At the end of the day, it's still a turn based game, so yeah, you can play any turn based RPG with your eyes half-closed and with one hand unless you have a time limit each turn.

As for the party member problem, your party members are pretty much just their Personae. You just wish you could control them. In that case, you either have to learn to work together with them/get them to do what you want, or stop playing.

And I love the music. If you hate it, and can't even tolerate it, that's just another reason to stop playing.

Basically, stop playing.

TheExodu5

Banned
zoukka said:

Sounds like Nocturne basically fixes most of your complaints with the game. You basically recruit demons to fight for you (and you control them), and the soundtrack is downright amazing.

Yaweee

TheExodu5 said:
Sounds like Nocturne basically fixes most of your complaints with the game. You basically recruit demons to fight for you (and you control them), and the soundtrack is downright amazing.

The Nocturne OST just lacks vocal tracks. When comparing non-vocal tracks among the PS2 SMT games, I'd rank Nocturne second worst, ahead of DS.

P3 has... like seven vocal tracks out of 60, or 8 out of 80 if you include FES. In the last month of Persona 3, the music
changes to some absolutely phenomenal tracks at both School, City, and Dorm
Memories of School, Memories of the City, and Living with Determination.

Memories of School
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS1zK6UXPrk

Memories of the City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhArt4yKg9c

Living with Determination (Dorm version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCYHCmjGqs8

Last Boss music--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyXjyT6kqJY

Master of Shadow, Master of Tartarus, and Unavoidable Battle are both awesome boss themes as well.

FROM FES--
Heartful Cry, possibly my favorite battle music of all time- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56f2Kt6IeZU

You can also change the Tartarus music to the following, by my understanding (it might only be in FES dungeons, but I'm not sure)-
Snow Queen, from P1-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22_g-osrNJA
Persona-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olccNPVMRIE&feature=related

Time Castle? Not sure if this is preset dungeon music or selectable
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_u9L9aTuL0

I'm sorry, there's no way at all that I'll concede Persona 3 has a bad soundtrack. I truly believe it to be one of the greatest videogame soundtracks of all time. It's phenomenal, even if Mass Destruction, Moons Reaching Out, and Changing Seasons can get obnoxious over time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah...but I'm a big rock/metal fan, so Nocturne's music style totally suits me. Persona 3's music...not so much. I don't mind the soundtrack, but it's not really my type of music.

The second title track on Nocturne is awesome, with the interluding piano. Nocturne easily has my favorite soundtrack since...either FF7 or FF6 (FF6 is my all time favorite).

Yaweee

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah...but I'm a big rock/metal fan, so Nocturne's music style totally suits me. Persona 3's music...not so much. I don't mind the soundtrack, but it's not really my type of music.

The second title track on Nocturne is awesome, with the interluding piano.

If you like rock, then you'll love DDS1's soundtrack.

TheExodu5

Banned
cpro said:
If you like rock, then you'll love DDS1's soundtrack.

I've listened to the soundtrack that came with the game...I don't know...it doesn't feel quite as right. The tracks aren't bad...but they just don't feel as unique and memorable.

Man, one track that is downright amazing on Nocturne is "The Conception". Also, the timing of this song in this game is absolutely perfect...it truly sent chills down my spine. Forced Battle is also awesome...I love a good breakdown.

Ohhh yes...and TALK is awesome as well, in the context of the game. It's the song that first plays when you enter Matador's realm. The boss music that ensues is pretty appropriate for such a deviously hard boss as well.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the Fes review on XPlay and as some of you guys have said, it's crappy they spoiled things.

I disagree with some of their Persona 3 criticisms: bad voice acting? Please, campy at times, but nowhere near bad. Atlus should be applauded for building their characters so well.

Music being repetitive: yeah... I can see that. :)

I'm at early January in the game, and only up to floor 190 or so in Tartarus. I also only have one plume of dusk left (easy mode, yes I know I suck). Should I hold off for now and wait for Fes instead of finishing?

TheExodu5

Banned
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
I'm at early January in the game, and only up to floor 190 or so in Tartarus. I also only have one plume of dusk left (easy mode, yes I know I suck). Should I hold off for now and wait for Fes instead of finishing?

Though I haven't played much...it sounds like you're really far, or nearing the end (correct me if I'm wrong someone). I'd probably just finish it so I could import some stats over to FES.

Yaweee

Hitlersaurus Christ said:

No, you should finish it ASAP, --> A note to Christ
You're hours away from the end. Plume of dusk? What is that? No idea, but January is the last month. Finish the game so you can do The Answer in FES, then go back and play hard mode.

Some of the voice work is... terrible. Fuuka, I'm looking at you. I hate her so fucking much, and it still hurts me that they have her (the worst voice work in the game) replace the best voice work in the game as the support character.

Plume of dusk automatically revives and recovers all party members. You have the option to use one if you die, otherwise you get a game over. You get about 10 or so, I wasted most of them through being underleveled and succumbing to mudo alot. Hopefully I'll be able to beat the last boss with one.

So I don't actually have to clear Tartarus to fight the final boss? Or am I closer to the top than I thought?

Yaweee

Ah, the plumes are from easy mode. Just avoid battles whenever possible. There are about
floors in Tartarus, and the bosses get more sparse the higher up your climb.

Yaweee

But the game is generally so easy that not having them doesn't mean a whole lot. Just get anti-death, anti-expel Personae and its hard to die against the last few bosses.

zoukka

Some corrections. The music in P3 isn't "bad", I just happen to hate all the songs that play the most. Except the battle music, which is not too bad. Boss songs are great and some others too (can't really remember the names). The vocals are probably my main issue in many songs, cuz they penetrate your brain and the voice/lyrics are pretty bad. Without the lyrics, I think the soundtrack would work so much better in a GAME that you play for ages.

I know because I have played it more than you have ;)

The only gripe with Nocturne was the minimal story. It was my first SMT and I really wanted to know more about everything in the game. Its really a shame I deleted my save file...

Tamanon

Banned
I was pleasantly surprised. Decided not to risk anything and actually pre-ordered FES at my local Gamestop. Just had to ask for Persona and the guy knew what I was talking about, in fact both of them had played Persona 3 and were ecstatic that the expansion was coming out here. Apparently they've been getting good interest in the game as far as preorders go, which is surprising considering I live in a tiny North Carolina town.

I tried to pre-order FES here in Canada at EB Games, but it was not in their system. Oddly enough, the clerk knew to look under both Persona 3 and Shin Megami Tensei (and even pronounced it correctly!), but had no idea that an "expansion pack" was being released.

TheExodu5

Banned
SabinFigaro said:
I tried to pre-order FES here in Canada at EB Games, but it was not in their system. Oddly enough, the clerk knew to look under both Persona 3 and Shin Megami Tensei (and even pronounced it correctly!), but had no idea that an "expansion pack" was being released.

I've got the bill with me, from an EB in Ottawa.

>6126858 PERSONA 3 FES PS2<

Yaweee

Well, its not an expansion pack.

Canada seems to be screwy with preorders-- you're not the first to have problems. Amazon, perhaps?

This game is going to be big, I think. I expect a Persona 4 US announcement sometime around the JP release.

cpro said:
Well, its not an expansion pack.

Canada seems to be screwy with preorders-- you're not the first to have problems. Amazon, perhaps?
I know it's not an expansion pack, but this is what the clerk insisted on calling it. Also, Amazon doesn't have it in their system yet, which is odd, considering how close it is to release.

TheExodu5 said:
I've got the bill with me, from an EB in Ottawa.
Thanks, I'll bring this with me next time.

Danj

Does anyone know if there'll be any guides for how best to manage your stats in Persona 3 FES, given that
you can't abuse the shrine any more
? Gamefaqs doesn't even have a "FAQ" section for it.

Shouta

You can max stats in regular runs of the game. It just takes a bit longer. I didn't abuse the shrine in my first run through the game and I maxed them all.

Danj said:
Does anyone know if there'll be any guides for how best to manage your stats in Persona 3 FES, given that
you can't abuse the shrine any more
? Gamefaqs doesn't even have a "FAQ" section for it.

I didn't even know about it until November.

Yaweee

Shouta said:
You can max stats in regular runs of the game. It just takes a bit longer. I didn't abuse the shrine in my first run through the game and I maxed them all.

Maxing all the stats is still pretty easy, by my understanding. The ease of doing so contributed to my main complaint, which was (HORRIFIC SPOILERS ENSUE)
the relative lack of content during the game's last three months. Once Hanged Man is defeated and you see the scene for the next night, you don't have a real story battle until the final night (three-hit Chidori doesn't count), and it really causes the games pacing to fly into the shitter. Since you don't have to study at night, and there's only one nighttime S. Link, there just isn't anything to do.

FES fixes some of this, like making Smarts harder to level and relocating The Devil to nighttime, but I think Hermit should have been moved as well. Hopefully the nigh time Koro walking scenes help keep the game interesting beyond November.

Shouta

The Koro walking scenes allow you to occasionally level up Commus that are accessible only during the day and occasionally you'll get unique scenes with the other characters in your party. As I recall anyway.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Shouta said:
The Koro walking scenes allow you to occasionally level up Commus that are accessible only during the day and occasionally you'll get unique scenes with the other characters in your party. As I recall anyway.

I've read this as well...which will keep me from going to Karoake every night. Man, that got repetitive.

fellas how hard is this game? i have it preordered and im stoked to play it, but i'm not so great at RPG's and i freaking hate playing for 2 hours then losing all my progress by getting stomped.

is there an easy mode in the game?

Top Bottom