• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

KtSlime

Well done, one of these days I should learn how to make animated gifs.

til that day, I salute your contribution to history!

Aspiring

Cannot wait for this update. I hope they also update it with that LBP theme even if you have to pay because i want it. Should be great. Is there a usual time it hits or is it random?

firen

Aspiring said:
Cannot wait for this update. I hope they also update it with that LBP theme even if you have to pay because i want it. Should be great. Is there a usual time it hits or is it random?

Noooo! Don't encourage paid themes!

Carl

Aspiring said:
If i recall correctly, the "Air Paint" theme was a part of the original themes firmware - so LBP could possibly be in this one. Let's hope so.

Aspiring

firen said:
Noooo! Don't encourage paid themes!

Yeah they do suck but i mean they are added extras so a small fee is fine.

Carl said:
If i recall correctly, the "Air Paint" theme was a part of the original themes firmware - so LBP could possibly be in this one. Let's hope so.

I hope so. It would be awesome if it was free. I hope HMX also release a Rock Band theme. that would be amazing. Especially if it could somehow incorporate your DLC into it :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Aspiring said:

They should really include one or two animated themes for free, to make people understand what it's all about. If they don't, most people who are less "hardcore" than GAF probably won't even realize that they exist, and won't want to buy them.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Oh wow I completely forgot this was tomorrow. Now that I'm anticipating it, it won't go up until some dumb time like last week's. :(

Carl

Aspiring said:

Didn't answer the time thing - should be up in about 4 hours.

noah111

Still Alive
Crisis said:
Hey everyone. When the firmware releases I'd like to request that after you sit and stare in amazement at the new animated background/backgrounds that you take a look for hidden stealth updates. There's a lot of changes already and there's a high probability of a handful of stealth updates being included as well. If you find any please report them in this thread. I'll add any that you find to the OP and credit you for it. Here are a few things that are not stealth updates:

• omg printers
  • web browser copy paste
  • white chat room
That's pretty much what I will be doing, going through everything hunting out stealth changes. :D (might even make a video walking through all the changes, if there aren't enough good videos up around it's release)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Stealth update? Crossing my fingers for an option to toggle the startup screen and spiderman font chime. :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
bone_and_sinew said:
I can't wait to see the animated themes people will make. I'm snagging the first MGS one.

You'll probably have to wait forever if you expect homemade animated themes. It seems the animated themes are made with the game SDK (and can include 3D elements and such), and that you can't simply use a looping video. Hopefully this is false.

androvsky

RoadHazard said:
You'll probably have to wait forever if you expect homemade animated themes. It seems the animated themes are made with the game SDK (and can include 3D elements and such), and that you can't simply use a looping video. Hopefully this is false.

A firmware developer mentioned that they're using the game SDK for dynamic themes, so I'm guessing it's quite true. Now, there's nothing stopping Sony from making a dynamic theme that just loops a user-created video clip or plays a slideshow; considering how much they've been promoting user-created content for the last few years it's not impossible. Probably not free, but not impossible. :)

Crisis

Banned
Hey to everyone posting that there is an "official time" or suggesting that the firmware is out at a specific timeframe - I don't think you should do that. There is no official time scheduled for the release of this firmware outside of September 1. And frankly counting on SCE to release something "on time" is a lot like playing Russian Roulette after last Friday's PSN update. :lol

noah111

Still Alive
Crisis said:
Hey to everyone posting that there is an "official time" or suggesting that the firmware is out at a specific timeframe - I don't think you should do that. There is no official time scheduled for the release of this firmware outside of September 1. And frankly counting on SCE to release something "on time" is a lot like playing Russian Roulette after last Friday's PSN update. :lol
Pretty much, there has almost never been an official time, though it usually comes out a bit earlier than planned, time wise..

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Gonna play Infamous now and listen to the Spidey Font chime for the last time. :*(

*salute*

Carl

squinters said:
I don't know why I'm excited. I mean it's a freaking firmware update. But alas, I can't resist new shiny things.

I love new firmware updates.

I've never seen a progress bar fill so fucking slowly.

androvsky said:
That's a store app, so probably Thursday.

I thought people were using the one from the japanese store?

I can't use it because my PS3 is connected via Wlan (and I don't know why, you can access the PS3s Wlan over remote play and be online with the PS3 via Wlan at the same time...)

@animated themes: I wouldn't expect any until at least next Thursday (or maybe the JP store will launch some earlier)
@new avatars: They said it's not certain that there will be new avatars with 3.00. IMO 3.00 only adds the ability to purchase avatars. No reason new free ones wouldn't already show up in the account management.

my little stealth update hope:
- ability to sort games alphabetically (inside of the folders)
- break down notifications into categories or at least let me turn them on/off in the ingame XMB

@timeframe-haters: name a firmware-update that wasn't in the (early) morning hours in European timezones?

Crisis said:
It doesn't really matter, since FW Updates are region free, so you can use any basically. I have high hopes for a early FW @ JP PSN appearance :D !

Carl

Crisis said:

Just going by when they normally go up.

Ferrio

Banned
SolidusDave said:

? wait what? You can use the japanese one? Will the japanese one and the us one be seperate networks? Kinda in the dark about this thing.

androvsky

SolidusDave said:

I can't use it because my PS3 is connected via Wlan (and I don't know why, you can access the PS3s Wlan over remote play and be online with the PS3 via Wlan at the same time...)

The people that know about it do use the one from the Japanese store, but it's something that should be available everywhere, especially with the renewed PSP push. There's been a couple hints that it's coming to the U.S.; a trademark and a mention by Capcom.

Speevy

Banned
Is the inability to create your own animated themes an issue of Sony wanting to sell them, or could you actually brick your system by doing this?

If it's not dangerous, I would actually pay for a kit that lets me make my own.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
you know what would be cool?

If you buy a game and beat it you unlock an animated theme for it.

why dont companies do this shit, its neat and rewarding

edgefusion

I am all kinds of ready for this!

mrsparkleorig.jpg

androvsky

Speevy said:
Is the inability to create your own animated themes an issue of Sony wanting to sell them, or could you actually brick your system by doing this?

If it's not dangerous, I would actually pay for a kit that lets me make my own.

The inability comes from the fact that the animated themes are basically games that require the Game SDK; as such, they presumably require serious programming knowledge, and require encryption to even run on retail PS3s. So even if we could create the themes and be trusted not to just use it for piracy, we'd have to submit them to Sony for QA and binary signing.

You probably couldn't brick your system, but you could delete all the savegames and award yourself a bunch of trophies. For further details on what you could do with the Game SDK, see PSP Homebrew.

Carl

Tiduz said:
you know what would be cool?

If you buy a game and beat it you unlock an animated theme for it.

why dont companies do this shit, its neat and rewarding

I was saying this to my friend the other day. Unlock a theme, maybe a bunch of avatars, and even some Home stuff if you're into that kind of thing. It would certainly be more rewarding and you can show your accomplishments off through means other than trophies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Carl said:
I was saying this to my friend the other day. Unlock a theme, maybe a bunch of avatars, and even some Home stuff if you're into that kind of thing. It would certainly be more rewarding and you can show your accomplishments off through means other than trophies.
Well you can already unlock Home stuff (Namco Museum, Batman) and some games do give you free themes if you buy them (Battlefield) but I agree, we need more of that kind of stuff!

Top Bottom