• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Tomb Raider poster

jett

D-Member
Also the Ex Machina sequel took a turn I didn't expect

The real question here is why would any moderately high-profile Hollyweird actor even agree to work on a video game movie. They should know by now the odds are stacked massively against those shits.

firelogic

Man, Angelina was just perfect for the tone of old TR.

I'm sure Alicia will do a fine job but it's not her fault nu Lara is just so dull and uninteresting.

Yup, looked the part and was cocky and sexy. Perfect casting.

The real question here is why would any moderately high-profile Hollyweird actor even agree to work on a video game movie. They should know by now the odds are stacked massively against those shits.

They want to be the RDJ of the videogame-to-movie genre?

Breakage

Her redesign suggests that her sexuality shouldn't be the main focus of her character. And she is still super attractive and appealing.

And that she should be taken more seriously (ie her purpose is no longer to be ogled at).

You disagree with that?
Yeah, I disagree. The original design had the confidence to combine sexuality with intelligence; she wasn't a dumb bimbo with big breasts. I think that's what made the original character stand out. The reboot defers to the idea that in order for a woman to be taken seriously she must cover up.
A lot of people seem to like Bayonetta; I don't see how preferring the original Lara is any different.

Well, the reboot design suggests that in order to be taken seriously she has to tone down her sexiness.

Video game characters aren't created in a vacuum. If you make your archaeologist tomb raider into a buxom hot babe, you can't later say it was by chance and "I guess she needs to be unsexy to be taken seriously".

There's no reason she can't be sexy, but it's not like modern Lara is the antithesis of the old Lara. She's just more realistic in her proportions.

Jawmuncher

Considering what we have seen so far and the ratio of good video game movies compared to bad movies basically being 0. There isn't much hope when they can't even play their cards right out of the gate. It's not bad to be optimistic. But i'd rather have my expectations low and be surprised than high and come out disappointed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
36470029534_9aa779014e_o.gif

xnUL0vH.gif

Seesaw15

I learned my lesson from doubting the Wonder Woman movie. The director is an unknown but Alicia Vikander is great and the writer is also writing Captain Marvel so it could go either way.

Surfinn

Yeah, I disagree. The original design had the confidence to combine sexuality with intelligence; she wasn't a dumb bimbo with big breasts. I think that's what made the original character stand out. The reboot defers to the idea that in order for a woman to be taken seriously she must cover up.
A lot of people seem to like Bayonetta; I don't see how preferring the original Lara is any different.

But what does the sexualization of Lara Croft add to her character? Why is she suddenly considered less appealing because she's intelligent but her sexuality isn't exaggerated?

Basically: OK, so you liked the original vision of Lara Croft, at least partially because she was sexualized. Why is this version suddenly worse because she loses this component?

And do you think this version of Lara isn't sexy? Or maybe not sexy enough?

Ross61

Considering what we have seen so far and the ratio of good video game movies compared to bad movies basically being 0. There isn't much hope when they can't even play their cards right out of the gate. It's not bad to be optimistic. But i'd rather have my expectations low and be surprised than high and come out disappointed.
What have we seen so far? Almost nothing but edited down clips for 5 sec teasers. This is one of the easiest adaptations from a great director. I'm optimistic.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It looks like two different scenes, cut and edited for the teaser.
Maybe i am wrong, but i am 99% sure that this is not the same scene.

How many times do you think she's walking around with her hands tied together?

Looks like a 90s straight to DVD production in that .gif.

jond76

Banned
This annoys me so much.

They use the shitty reboot Lara, yet have her doing things the old Lara did and the reboot Lara doesn't. If you want that in your movie use the Lara that does that.

And as usual don't use a British actress for a British character. Probably gonna be another dodgy accent.

Breakage

But what does the sexualization of Lara Croft add to her character? Why is she suddenly considered less appealing because she's intelligent but her sexuality isn't exaggerated?

Basically: OK, so you liked the original vision of Lara Croft, at least partially because she was sexualized. Why is this version suddenly worse because she loses this component?

And do you think this version of Lara isn't sexy?
The rebooted Lara isn't as iconic as the old because it refers to the commonly held view that in order for woman to be perceived as an intelligent being she needs to be plain and modest in dress. The reboot submits to that idea. The old Lara design had the confidence to go against that and that's what made the character attractive. The reboot design loses that. This version of Lara is forgettable. What's unique about her now? She just looks like a female gardener going on an adventure.

Yeah, I disagree. The original design had the confidence to combine sexuality with intelligence; she wasn't a dumb bimbo with big breasts.

No, the original design was about sexy and the big boobs were supposedly an accident that stuck. Everything else was added after the fact for justification.

The rebooted Lara isn't as iconic as the old because it refers to the commonly held view that in order for woman to be perceived as an intelligent being she needs to be plain and modest in dress. The reboot submits to that idea.

Also no. The reboot is just a more realistic take of a person in Lara's garb.

Essentially, Jolie's version with pants and without the padded bra she apparently wore for promo shots:

Note, if you watch the previous films any Jolie can get away with pants, she does.

The rebooted Lara isn't as iconic as the old because it refers to the commonly held view that in order for woman to be perceived as an intelligent being she needs to be plain and modest in dress. The reboot submits to that idea. The old Lara design had the confidence to go against that and that's what made the character attractive. The reboot design loses that. This version of Lara is forgettable. What's unique about her now? She just looks like a female gardener going on an adventure.

This doesn't really justify her being overtly sexualized in the older games though.

What if she looked like modern Lara, but acted like older Lara, would that have made her less iconic?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I would argue that a non sexualized L. Croft loses some of her iconic traits/status when there are no hot pants or big breast at play, same way Hulk would loose his if he was build like a regular man who wears (non ripped) jeans and a shirt...

With that said I prefer the reboot look.

yunbuns

Reboot Lara is a lot blander than old Lara but it isn't because she isn't wearing hotpants. smh.

Breakage

This doesn't really justify her being overtly sexualized in the older games though.

What if she looked like modern Lara, but acted like older Lara, would that have made her less iconic?
Yeah, but why can't she be sexualised? Bayonetta gets a pass. 2B from Nier Automata gets a pass. How is OG Lara any different? Is it because she made it on to the covers of 90s men's mags? The reason she was iconic was because the character went against the dumb big-breasted stereotype. I mean if they made her dumb and subordinate to other male characters, I'd understand the disapproval towards those who prefer the old Lara.

Surfinn

Plain? You think the actress playing her looks "plain"? She's very attractive. Do you consider plain to be that she doesn't wear a padded bra to make her boobs look bigger or because her ass isn't showing enough?

She's still running around with little clothes on anyway.

And I think you've got it backwards. A lot of shows/films/games actually submit to the idea that in order for a woman to be taken SOMEWHAT seriously, she needs to be sexualized, first and foremost, as a prerequisite for even being CONSIDERED smart or intelligent, or consisting of any other worthwhile qualities. Basically, if there is no baseline for being sexualized, there is no recognition at all (luckily things are different now and women are being considered without being overly sexualized).

The fact that you think this actress is "plain" says a lot about the expectation that women need to be sexualized to even be considered at all.

Also, the fact that the of over-sexualization (ie hotpants) is considered "iconic".. is a disturbing thought. Or that the lack of it makes her character lesser as a result.

This movie might still suck, but I like the idea they're moving in for what to expect for a Lara Croft in 2017. Under the right circumstances, I could see this being a fantastic film.

Top Bottom