• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

jjasper

Well I went back to the Target that had the PS3, and they had it out again. This time I got to play it. They had demos of NBA 07, Genji video, some other video, and the holy grail MOTORSTORM!

The game was a blast and looked great. I played with a motorcycle, and a truck. Both felt different and changed the way you had to race. After playing it, it definately to the top of my ps3 most wanted chart.

JB1981

neojubei said:
See how civil Japanese people are. If this was BEST BUY in Manhattan, oh the blood and tears will flow in the streets.

Oh man, thinking about it all makes me wanna hire a bodyguard when i go to EB on friday.

Aren't they letting those with pre-orders come in and pick it up early?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
JB1981 said:
Aren't they letting those with pre-orders come in and pick it up early?

not mine. When i called back today i had asked when they will open for me to pick mine up and he said 10am. i was like oh crap. not only will have i have to deal with people waiting in line for one but also those who did not get their pre-orders filled. Scary.

I seriously hope they open EARLY like 5am or 6am, but then again the EB is located in a Mall.

JB1981

neojubei said:
not mine. When i called back today i had asked when they will open for me to pick mine up and he said 10am. i was like oh crap. not only will have i have to deal with people waiting in line for one but also those who did not get their pre-orders filled. Scary.

I seriously hope they open EARLY like 5am or 6am, but then again the EB is located in a Mall.

Most malls open at 8am for seniors. If your manager wanted he could open early.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
automatic voice mail msg from ebgames just called said I can pick up resistance tommorrow afternoon. :D

guess it doesnt do much good without a console to play it with. :p

quaere

Bad_Boy said:
automatic voice mail msg from ebgames just called said I can pick up resistance tommorrow afternoon. :D

guess it doesnt do much good without a console to play it with. :p
I just came into this thread to post that. Yay, I'll be playing tomorrow :D

Dante

Just got back from Target. Genji is the prettiest bad game i've think i've ever seen :) Motorstorm is a blast, wanted to keep playing but I had to get back to work.

Dahbomb

I just got a call from my Gamestop store that Resistance Fall of Man will be arriving tomorrow. I put a pre-order down for it but was unable to get a PS3 at launch so I guess I will not get the game until a later date. I only put down a pre-order because I wanted to help out with Resistance's shipment numbers... :lol

LevelNth

Banned
For any Canadian launch buyers, Future Shop's latest flyer has an awesome deal on 5 PS3 games for sale on the day before launch, the 16th. You can get Resistence, Madden 07, Call of Duty 3, NHL 2K7 and Genji for only $59, which is pretty sweet pricing (360 games are usually always $69 unless it's first day pricing, and some current gen stuff like FFXII is $59 as well, though most is $49). Whether you can get any others, I'm not too sure, as it doesn't specifically state it's only those 5, but that's all they show. I'm hoping they have RR7 as well, cause then I'll save a cool $30.

Interestingly, they also list all their Wii pricing (system confirmed at $279), and I'm pretty disappointed to see all the games are $59, and not the $49 current gen level I think they should be.

On a side note for those interested, Killzone and SOCOM PSP are both only $39 as well, effective up to the 16th. I may grab KZ while I'm at it.

Baron Aloha said:
Question...is this HDMI cable just as good as any?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812189053

Only 8 bucks?

From what I understand the picture quality for most normal length HDMI cables is pretty interchangeable since it's digital and not prone to a lot of your traditional analog issues (RFI/EMI etc). It either works or it doesn't. When you get to longer lengths potential errors can be a concern though.

So yeah, that should be good. Monoprice.com is worth a look as well.

Question: I'm in the U.S, if I get a Japanese PS3, will I be able to use the PS3 web browser to surf the Net, or is it a feature locked to the PS Store? Also, will I be able to play online against everyone in the world, or just people in Japan?

Snah

Banned
****** from O A is reporting that the US launch units have been lowered by 100k and are now sitting roughly at 300 K.

quaere

whatdidyousay said:
Question: I'm in the U.S, if I get a Japanese PS3, will I be able to use the PS3 web browser to surf the Net, or is it a feature locked to the PS Store? Also, will I be able to play online against everyone in the world, or just people in Japan?
The web browser is seperate from the Playstation Store. It isn't clear how online play will go.

Dante

Snah said:
****** from O A is reporting that the US launch units have been lowered by 100k and are now sitting roughly at 300 K.

Oh it must be true then, they'd never make up false info over there.

TwIsTeD

so now that i`m unfortunately stuck with a 20gb PS3 at launch (curse you Gamestop :lol ) i`ve decided that a 20gb appreciation post is in order, yes i know what i`m missing but newegg is shipping me my hd tomorrow so it will be here at launch, but whats the deal with remote play aside from being able to use it in your house with wifi (is it useable at say a wifi hotspot) and is`nt it only for media and not games?

Dahbomb

It sounds more like the allocation of the 60GB/20GB PS3s are altered than the shipment numbers "cut in 60%" like some sources are claiming...

Striek

Dante said:
Oh it must be true then, they'd never make up false info over there.
Its almost certainly somewhat true, what with Gamestop not getting even their meagre planned allocation. But, it doesn't take any 'inside' knowledge to predict that.

Y'know, I just wanted to mention this... This weekend, I did a little bit of Christmas shopping, and eventually stopped at every major electronics/toy store in the city. Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys R Us, Target, GameStop, etc. And where, amongst all these stores, did I end up seeing the PS3 for the first time live and in person?

None of the above. Only Wal-Mart had one to show. :lol

Bad_Boy said:
anybody youtube it? I hear it showed off gang tackling, but I missed it. Watching panthers game now. :D

1 guy grabbed onto a player and spun him around and another guy came in and helped him tackle the player.

Varshes

About not being able to fill preorders... I spoke to someone at Toys R Us (I'm in Canada), and the only order for this week is around 400 60GB and 200 20GB, that's for every TRU in Canada...not good.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Okay I was 3rd in line so I'm getting a 60 Gig PS3 for sure. :D

Pre-ordered Madden 07 and NBA 2K7.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mckmas8808 said:
Okay I was 3rd in line so I'm getting a 60 Gig PS3 for sure. :D

Pre-ordered Madden 07 and NBA 2K7.
sweet man. congrats. :)

SolidSnakex said:
1 guy grabbed onto a player and spun him around and another guy came in and helped him tackle the player.
Cool, I'd like to see some of that, hopefully somebody grabs a video of it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mckmas8808 said:
Holy Shit!! I just seen Madden 07 on the PS3 on MNF.
I must not be getting the same commercials as you guys. I've been watching the panthers but no sign of madden yet.

Ah well...in other news...
I got dibs on the Kratos avatar. :D
psnava6814.jpg

they got a bunch of pictures of the avatars over at ko-tak-u :x

Bad_Boy said:
I must not be getting the same commercials as you guys. I've been watching the panthers but no sign of madden yet.

Ah well...in other news...
I got dibs on the Kratos avatar. :D
psnava6814.jpg

they got a bunch of pictures of the avatars over at ko-tak-u :x
Wait... God of War sold well in Japan?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wario64 said:
The avatars they have are so terrible
Yeah but it's better than nothing imo. From my understanding, the reasoning behind not allowing custom avatars is so nobody will put a picture of their balls on your friends menu. :lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Bad_Boy said:
Yeah but it's better than nothing imo. From my understanding, the reasoning behind not allowing custom avatars is so nobody will put a picture of their balls on your friends menu. :lol
Damn. It's like Sony has been reading my mind lately. Oh well, I can still virtually-teabag somebody through video chat. ;P

Stealth

Took a trip to Target today to see if the PS3 was set up, and found two guys debating whether MotorStorm was worth the $400 difference in price from the PS2. My response: "Well, if you weren't standing a foot from the screen, maybe."

Frankly, the layout of their demo area is awful. Not only does the controller only come out to about two feet from the wall and place your face 18" from the screen, but the sales counter with all the digital cameras is right behind it, so there's literally only 5 feet of room for the player or observer to move around in. That being said, when I was standing at about four feet from the TV, it was running incredibly smooth and looked fantastic. The course's polygonal frame was only noticable when the dirt bike was running along--or into-- the rocks, and the textures did a fantastic job of giving flat polys a sense of depth. Suffice it to say I really liked what I was seeing.

When I finally got a chance at the system, I got to taste the turbo and physics systems. The guys behind me were saying it looked like the character was a professional motocross driver while I was controlling... until I blew the engine with the turbo. But my n00b skills aside, the physics in this game are pretty much dead on. The charcters bounce and lean naturally, and the collision detection and course deterioration were definitely noticable. On the final lap I saw that the tire tracks from other bikers had increased since the race started.

Which brings me to the controller. I was eager to see what the SIXAXIS would be like, and I have to say I like the changes. I can't speak on the weight, since it was tethered to the wall, but the analog sticks feel great. The movement you can get from them feels much greater, as if the stick shrunk in diameter or something. Plus, the effort to tilt them also feels lower, somewhere around the level of spring that the 360 controller has. As for the pedals, I can certainly see why some people have said they feel like your fingers will slide off them, as MotorStorm used them as gas and brake pedals, but I really do think they're far more comfortable than the old style L2 and R2 buttons. Plus... it's kinda fun to squeeze them.

I also tried out NBA '07. The controls were pretty solid, if not a bit unresponsive on defense, and the players definitely suffer from Shiny Happy People syndrome, but it should be a decent baller. IGN's 7.8 seems pretty fair, but I couldn't be arsed to say much more about it. 2K7 please!

Anyway, I finally starting to get pretty hyped about the launch. Hopefully I don't need to camp two days in advance, but I'll be patrolling Best Buy early Thursday to see when the line starts forming.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Stealth said:
Which brings me to the controller. I was eager to see what the SIXAXIS would be like, and I have to say I like the changes. I can't speak on the weight, since it was tethered to the wall,
Man, thats what I've been saying. Theres really no way to tell the weight from the Target kiosk. I'm surprised people actually commented on the weight even when the controller is tied down. Theres really no way to get a feel for it.

But anyways I digress, your impressions sound spot on what mine were. Atleast somebody out there agree's with me. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bad_Boy said:

I just wished they had some better avatars. Something like Shadow of the Colossus or a Ratchet avatar

Bebpo said:
So umm...Ncsx says the first ten PS1 games are up and are 2000yen ($20) each. But everyone in Japan said there are no games up and no prices...

Hmm.....
Just looked again...no PS1 games up. In fact, nothing has been added since 11/11.

Unrelated note, my 20GB PS3 unit purchase hit my U.S. credit card today, $436. Never thought I'd be happy about the exchange rate situation... :)

Top Bottom