• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
kikonawa said:
grandpa owning a ps3 ??

Damn didn't think about the fact that he was a grandpa. Yeah Nintendo's direction was a good thing. Get non-gamers to buy your system.

Jim

Do we have an Official PlayStation Network ID thread yet?

I'd love to start working on the friends list... since like, none of the rl friends are scoring a PS3 at launch. Losers.
j/k!

Stench

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Damn didn't think about the fact that he was a grandpa. Yeah Nintendo's direction was a good thing. Get non-gamers to buy your system.
It's not like they've got anything better to do, right?

I'm kidding, I'M KIDDING!!

mckmas8808

PhatSaqs said:

I can't believe you cut the sentence off like that. I was about to cancel my pre-order and shit.

You typed...

The PS3 version runs far less smoothly than its Microsoft counterpart, with graphical hiccups and even the occasional frame rate drop.....

When the complete sentence said this....

The superior visuals do come at a cost, the PS3 version runs far less smoothly than its Microsoft counterpart, with graphical hiccups and even the occasional frame rate drop when the game shifts between plays, instant replays, and play calling.

Now why in the world would you want to mislead a bunch of guys about to get a PS3.

Jim said:

I'd love to start working on the friends list... since like, none of the rl friends are scoring a PS3 at launch. Losers.
j/k!

No, and you must start this. Now. Every zig.

PhatSaqs

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Now why in the world would you want to mislead a bunch of guys about to get a PS3.
Yes. That's exactly what I was doing mckmas :lol
I just typed up the snippet that appears at the very top of the first page of the review. Hell, it's the first thing you see. Calm down.

The main point is Madden next gen still sucks no matter what system its on.

PhatSaqs said:
I just typed up the snippet that appears at the very top of the first page of the review. Hell, it's the first thing you see. Calm down.

But EA said the PS3 version would fix all the flaws from the 360 version! :lol :lol

I guess I can slop through the PS2 version for another 9 months. I'll wait for the IGN review for now...

Zaptruder

Banned
PhatSaqs said:

EA ftl!

More PS3 exclusives ftw! :p

mckmas8808

PhatSaqs said:

I played Madden 07 in Best Buy everyday for 7 days and loved it. Yeah the studdering is annoying but it doesn't do it while you are on the field.

It seems to be a great game to me.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jim said:

j/k!
I've been asking this for a while, maybe one for the other forum on Thursday night or something. :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I just checked out my local Best Buy and they FINALLY have a PS3 kiosk... it's actually on the end cap next to the Wii end cap. Wii still isn't playable BTW.

It was weird my fingers kept going where the old lower trigger buttons use to be... the new ones feel VERY different.

The only game playable was the NBA game. Now I don't know anything about whether it was accurate to the NBA rules, etc... but the game looked pretty good to me and seem to control well. The characters get sweaty/shiny too quickly, and there wasn't any commentary(maybe that's cause its a demo?), but besides that I didn't have any problems with it. Characters smiled and grimaced which was a nice touch. Also it looked like there was some kinda LOD going on in the background for the fans in the stands.

They are opening at 8 on friday, will hand out vouchers to the line at 7. In addition they continue to claim 20 60GB units, 6 20GB units will be in at the minimum.

Bebpo

Banned
Got mine it seems. Heading to lunch from work to go hook it up :) Might be a little late on my lunch break ^^;

What was the procedure for changing video outputs? Hold down power for 5 secs? I'm going to be hooking it up through component atm, but I have an HDMI cable coming in this afternoon so I'll be switching to that when I get off work.

LevelNth

Banned
DarienA said:
I just checked out my local Best Buy and they FINALLY have a PS3 kiosk... it's actually on the end cap next to the Wii end cap. Wii still isn't playable BTW.

It was weird my fingers kept going where the old lower trigger buttons use to be... the new ones feel VERY different.

The only game playable was the NBA game. Now I don't know anything about whether it was accurate to the NBA rules, etc... but the game looked pretty good to me and seem to control well. The characters get sweaty/shiny too quickly, and there wasn't any commentary(maybe that's cause its a demo?), but besides that I didn't have any problems with it. Characters smiled and grimaced which was a nice touch. Also it looked like there was some kinda LOD going on in the background for the fans in the stands.

They are opening at 8 on friday, will hand out vouchers to the line at 7. In addition they continue to claim 20 60GB units, 6 20GB units will be in at the minimum.
I can't remember if you're in Canada or not...

JB1981

DarienA said:

Wii won't be playable at BB at all. Store policy. BB is giving Sony the spotlight because they sell so much of their electronics products.

DarienA

JB1981 said:
Wii won't be playable at BB at all. Store policy. BB is giving Sony the spotlight because they sell so much of their electronics products.

Wait are you saying the Wii isn't playable because the PS3 is?

LevelNth said:
I can't remember if you're in Canada or not...

No.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Our system count at the local GameStop got cut in HALF. They went from about 18 units down to f**king 8. Luckily I'm the third reservation! The local Best Buy (Dadeland Mall) has 36 units in stock, too bad there's already 35 people out in line as of this morning.

WOW just got wind that the local Best Buy midnight launch store, the one in Hialeah, is only getting 40 PS3 units. Swinging by there later to check if there's a line.

ManaByte

Gold Member
JB1981 said:

Bzzzt. Sorry, but that's not why at all. Gamestop worked out a deal with Nintendo where they have the EXCLUSIVE on playable Wiis.

JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(Today, 11:20 AM)

J-Rzez

Bad_Boy said:
cool :) I hope my motorola headsets work, but I'll be optimistic about it.

YES!!! This is what I need to know ASAP... I broke my USB one, and would just get a Blue Tooth for it instead if I could...

Bad Boy, in case I miss the answer to this, please PM me! THX!

(p.s. still number 1 for my ps3 on Fri!)

Bebpo

Banned
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/picssss22010.jpg

Totally happy with it. Jeez, this is the quitest system I've ever seen in my life, I can hardly tell it's on.

Controller works fairly well for the Blu-ray player though I can't figure out any way to eject the movie without walking up to the system and hitting the eject button. Blu-ray quality is niiiice :)

Stuck in Tony Hawk and it worked like NCSX had said. WOOHOO REGION FREE!!! Very happy.

First time I stuck in a game I got no sound!!! It was scary. But then I reset and everything worked properly.

Unwrapping it was very exciting. Holding it was like holding a newborn baby.

Don't have time to pop any real games in until after work ;_; But my early time with the PS3 has been like the first date with a beautiful girl. I am happy!

Though one question I do have is...where is the reset button/how do you reset? If you pop a game out through eject it still sits in the games menu and if you turn off the system with a game in when you turn it back on it starts the game. How do you change titles?

newsguy

TekunoRobby said:
The local Best Buy (Dadeland Mall) has 36 units in stock, too bad there's already 35 people out in line as of this morning.

I have 2 buddies in that line as we speak, and they've been there since MONDAY. This is getting out of hand.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Damn Bebpo you showoff. :D
J-Rzez said:
YES!!! This is what I need to know ASAP... I broke my USB one, and would just get a Blue Tooth for it instead if I could...

Bad Boy, in case I miss the answer to this, please PM me! THX!

(p.s. still number 1 for my ps3 on Fri!)
Will do. :)

LevelNth

Banned
Bebpo, when you get a chance can you try turning the machine on with a game inside, but keep holding down the PS button on the sixaxis. That was a feature in the test kits to have it go straight to the XMB even with a game inside, and I want to know if that's in the retail units too. Thanks.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
MickeyKnox said:
So New York Gaffers, who's going to the Sony Store for the Launch thing on thursday and when do you plan on starting to line up?

No one was lined up as of last night.
I'm going to check Wednesday night, and then every few hours on Thursday.
Hoping to line up at around 4:00 PM on Thursday.

All Hail C-Webb said:
No one was lined up as of last night.
I'm going to check Wednesday night, and then every few hours on Thursday.
Hoping to line up at around 4:00 PM on Thursday.
I would hope that considering it's location as well as the 400 count that being there on thursday would be good enough.

newsguy

Oni Jazar said:
Shut the hell up are you guys serious?

Yep, my news station already interviewed people in line cause the big story is that one of the BB employees actually took the week off to stand in line in front of his own store.:lol

mckmas8808

TekunoRobby said:
Our system count at the local GameStop got cut in HALF. They went from about 18 units down to f**king 8. Luckily I'm the third reservation! The local Best Buy (Dadeland Mall) has 36 units in stock, too bad there's already 35 people out in line as of this morning.

WOW just got wind that the local Best Buy midnight launch store, the one in Hialeah, is only getting 40 PS3 units. Swinging by there later to check if there's a line.

40 PS3s in one store? Call the hounds. Somebody told me that this is impossible. :lol

Mourning gang. Well Its ofiical ps3 day for me. I haven't gopt a call from GS so today I'm going up tyhere and finally figure out whats going on(should be fun :/) Im going to get a pair of optical audio cable, and my 100gig 16 mb chache drive from newegtg should be arriving. Bad_boy let me know about the bluetooth headset. I got rid of the one I had since I changed phones(before I knew it would work on the ps3) I need to know if I should get another, or ask for one for my b-day.

Also Did RR7 come out today TOO with resistence? I really want a second game so i think im going to move my full auto preodred over to it.
Details when i get home.

Well just got off the phone with the Gamespot on 14th St and they can only fill the first 6 preorders, I'm 12/15 so The Sony Store it is.

quaere

I got Resistance!! :D I haven't been this excited since last week, when I got Gears of War :lol...what an great month. Impressions later tonight.

Oh, sorry headset guys, I went to Radio Shack and Kmart and the cheapest was $50. Won't pay that when I can get one online much cheaper. Someone else will have to test it out.

kikonawa

LevelNth said:
Bebpo, when you get a chance can you try turning the machine on with a game inside, but keep holding down the PS button on the sixaxis. That was a feature in the test kits to have it go straight to the XMB even with a game inside, and I want to know if that's in the retail units too. Thanks.

no worky. i powered off trough controller. and restarted trough controller. held my thumb on the button. booted straight to game

DarienA

Isn't there an option somewhere buried in the XMB where you can specify whether your system boots to the game or the XMB?

Top Bottom