• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL: Wii preorders start today (10/13)

Xdrive05

Are they really not allowed to tell you how many pre-orders they got at each store? Because the four different stores I went to said they couldn't say.

I suspect they didn't tell anyone because they themselves took a bunch of pre-orders first, and didn't want to get reported.

I went to two stores and they told me only 12. Of course, having a full-time job and relationship I wasn't able to make it by the mall until 7PM, at which time they were already sold out. Of course, I shake my finger at those with no life who are able to stand in front of the store at 10 AM. I am envious.

usea

Dirtbag 504 said:
Outside of a hurricane ****ing up my 360 pre-order last year (basically all New Orleans 360 pre-orders got moved to other states because most of our game stores lacked employees to open them)... New Orleans is got to be one of the easiest places for gamers to get games at launch, pre-launch (our walmart employees are IGNIT' and sell/stock shit the second it rolls in), and pretty much whenever they want as long as it's b4 the game hits a bargain bin (thats when games move off the shelves here).

Thats at least one nice perk of being a gamer in 'the city that care forgot' <my personal favorite nickname for N.O.

I live in Slidell, I wonder if it would be worth the drive come release rather than waiting in line here.

RonaldoSan said:
Seller answering a question.

"Like I have said I am a trusted seller and a Christian. I will not lie to you or be dishonest in any way."

Selling a Wii for 750$ is dishonest bitch, god won't let that slide.

<----- Not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with these sort of people.

... Aside from him claiming he's a Christian.

usea said:
I live in Slidell, I wonder if it would be worth the drive come release rather than waiting in line here.

Yeah. There arent alot of EBs/GSs(we have two) in this part of Louisiana, either. I think Walmart/Target it is. Just gonna have to go to bed at 7 pm to get up very early :lol

Tortfeasor

viper60782 said:
any idea when gamecrazy is doing pre-orders? the store by me said "not yet"...

somehow i doubt they'll be an annoucement...

I spoke with my local GC manager, and he told me they have been taking reserve deposits for awhile but are not guaranteeing systems for launch.

SreyB

viper60782 said:
any idea when gamecrazy is doing pre-orders? the store by me said "not yet"...

somehow i doubt they'll be an annoucement...

Weird. The gamecrazy by me has been taking pre-orders since april...

sspeedy

when will wallmart/amazon start? or they won't have preorders at all? i've never done it through either, so i'm clueless. i'm wondering about wii and the ps3... ok put the blades away :lol

whzup444

Yeah, I went to my EBGames around 10:00 and was 20th in line. They opened the store on time and started handing out lists of accessories and games you could also pre-order. However, the employee who opened the store wouldn't tell us how many systems they were getting. "I guess I'm just not important enough of an employee to know this information." He was a complete EBGames Nintendo fanboy/general videogame freak. My friend and I had a good 30 minutes of quiet chuckling while we waited to get our orders in. Anyway, they capped orders at 30 or so pre-orders. Does this mean they're getting 32 on the first day? It was an EBGames outside of Philadelphia in a rather rich wealthy suburb a few miles from the city limits. I wouldn't call it a high traffic game store though, so it seemed odd that it'd be getting the highest allotment.

AniHawk

whzup444 said:
Yeah, I went to my EBGames around 10:00 and was 20th in line. They opened the store on time and started handing out lists of accessories and games you could also pre-order. However, the employee who opened the store wouldn't tell us how many systems they were getting. "I guess I'm just not important enough of an employee to know this information." He was a complete EBGames Nintendo fanboy/general videogame freak. My friend and I had a good 30 minutes of quiet chuckling while we waited to get our orders in. Anyway, they capped orders at 30 or so pre-orders. Does this mean they're getting 32 on the first day? It was an EBGames outside of Philadelphia in a rather rich wealthy suburb a few miles from the city limits. I wouldn't call it a high traffic game store though, so it seemed odd that it'd be getting the highest allotment.

Means they're getting 36 preorders. 4 can be reserved for employees.

I suspect there's a lot of dishonesty going all-around. The reason I didnt want to give out specifics on PS3 preorder #s was simply because I didnt want there to be SUCH a huge rush in the morning. Besides, I don't think we were supposed to.

I did compare this launch to 360 launch, to give people a pretty accurate idea (though we're getting 16 PS3s instead of 12).

Xdrive05 said:
Are they really not allowed to tell you how many pre-orders they got at each store? Because the four different stores I went to said they couldn't say.

I suspect they didn't tell anyone because they themselves took a bunch of pre-orders first, and didn't want to get reported.
I didn't have any problem getting an allotment number from my store. In fact, they called me to tell me they were starting preorders (apparently because I had Zelda reserved) and when I asked, he said they were getting 31. The next morning, the manager came out to the line and went over some details about the system. He explained that they were taking 32 preorders (I was #9), and eventually had to turn away about 8-10 people as they showed up.

They also handed out lists of everything you could preorder on clipboards, and had everyone write their name and number on a different sheet, and mark how many of each accessory and game they wanted. This made the line go much quicker for the most part.

sspeedy said:
when will wallmart/amazon start? or they won't have preorders at all? i've never done it through either, so i'm clueless. i'm wondering about wii and the ps3... ok put the blades away :lol

amazon did preorders a few weeks ago. i reserved one there, but was trying to get one in store in fear they will force bundles last minute.

spengo

MadraptorMan said:
Wal-Mart does midnight launches, right?

Yes, the 24 hour ones atleast.

Does Toys R Us brick and mortar stores do preorders? I know they do games but do they do systems? Why haven't we heard anything about them yet?

Bog

Junior Ace
evilromero said:
I went to two stores and they told me only 12. Of course, having a full-time job and relationship I wasn't able to make it by the mall until 7PM, at which time they were already sold out. Of course, I shake my finger at those with no life who are able to stand in front of the store at 10 AM. I am envious.

Amazingly, I have both of those AND a Wii preorder.

G4life98

well my friday was a cakewalk compared to the adventures some of you guys had:lol

well i was lucky friday because the morning classes that kept me from securing a ps3 preorder (or two :) ) were over and all i had to do was drag my ass outta bed early on a cold fall morning in detroit...my plan was simple hit the eb/gamestop at eastbrook commons by 9:00....so of course i leave the house at 9:45 and make it to the store too late and they are soldout, but the guy says try the one at 8mile and i made it there as they only had three left...the manager said they didnt have a line up outside so i lucked out.

so i pre-ordered a wii and twilight princess and im gonna go back and pay for a classic controller and red steel.

now i must develop a camping plan for ps3.

puck1337

spengo said:
Yes, the 24 hour ones atleast.

Does Toys R Us brick and mortar stores do preorders? I know they do games but do they do systems? Why haven't we heard anything about them yet?
Canadian brick & mortar TRU does preorders. I became #46 at my local store when I preordered during TGS, so I can't imagine what their list is like right now.

d58e7

Wario64 said:
TRU preorders 2 weeks from today.
Nooooooooooo! Why did you post this, now there will be massive lines again and some of the ToysRus might not even do preorders. :lol

d58e7

JSR said:
Wait, TRU is taking preorders in two weeks? I thought they have been taking preorders for months now.
Depends on your location, some ToyRus have been doing it for a while, others have been holding off, and some may not even do preorders.

JSR

d58e7 said:
Depends on your location, some ToyRus have been doing it for a while, others have been holding off, and some may not even do preorders.
Ah, I see. I guess I'll be calling my local TRUs pretty soon.

MrDaravon

My TRU has been doing them for a while, but it's been pretty much confirmed TRU is going to do heavy bundling only on Wiis, so I passed.

Bebpo

Banned
Wii pre-orders went up today at NCSX for those who want to grab a JPN only system instead (won't play US games).

Price is pretty fair $295 so about a $60-70 markup, but you're paying for the shipping from Japan to them. If you had someone in Japan buy you the system and ship it you'd pay like $230 + $50-100 shipping instead + if you payed through paypal you'd lose 3% which would be like $10-15. So if you're not stingy, $295 is pretty acceptable.

Like the GC you won't really miss much with a JPN system since US support for Nintendo is :lol and the benefit is that a lot of Japanese games don't come to the US.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Guess it's better to post this in the Wii thread but:

I got shut out at my local EB but the manager said that he spoke with someone from head office and it seems that the Wii Canadian price has dropped to $219.99. Can anyone confirm? He was taking preorders at that price.

LakeEarth

BorkBork said:

I got shut out at my local EB but the manager said that he spoke with someone from head office and it seems that the Wii Canadian price has dropped to $219.99. Can anyone confirm? He was taking preorders at that price.
First sign that Nintendo is doing there "announced at $250, drop to $199 before launch" thing that they love to do? That'd be great.

Then again, when you look at the exchange rates, $250 for the Wii is about the same as $199 for the GC when it came out. In Canada, the GC came out at $279 and the Wii is supposed to come out at $279.

Memles

GC was actually $299.99 LakeEarth, so we're coming out even better. And honestly, a drop to $199 would be a huge deal at this point, although very unlikely all things considered.

I'm going sans pre-order and staking out Wal-Mart early Sunday morning. Since it will be the middle of November, I'm anticipating cold.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I doubt it, but I'd be happy. I only put $200 down on my Wii anyway, so if I didn't have to put down the remaining $50, it'd make it that much easier to justify getting Red Steel! :D

Memles

Mejilan said:
I doubt it, but I'd be happy. I only put $200 down on my Wii anyway, so if I didn't have to put down the remaining $50, it'd make it that much easier to justify getting Red Steel! :D

I JUST came back in to note that a lower Wii price will have me purchasing likely another WiiMote in order to play multiplayer once I get home. I think that the increase in purchases of those buying the system would be worth the drop alone, personally.

SuperPac

BorkBork said:

I call bullshit. Someone misread $279.99.

LakeEarth

Memles said:
GC was actually $299.99 LakeEarth, so we're coming out even better. And honestly, a drop to $199 would be a huge deal at this point, although very unlikely all things considered.

I'm going sans pre-order and staking out Wal-Mart early Sunday morning. Since it will be the middle of November, I'm anticipating cold.
Could've swore it was $279, aww well. I'm going for Wal-Mart too, but its because my mom works there so I can get 10% off my Wii (circumcision jokes ftw). When I got my DSlite at walmart only 3 people showed up within the first half-hour for it, but this time around its Christmas time PLUS this is a new system rather than a redesign so I'm not sure how its gonna be. I'm guessing I'll get there an hour before it opens and judge the line.

G4life98 said:
well my friday was a cakewalk compared to the adventures some of you guys had:lol

well i was lucky friday because the morning classes that kept me from securing a ps3 preorder (or two :) ) were over and all i had to do was drag my ass outta bed early on a cold fall morning in detroit...my plan was simple hit the eb/gamestop at eastbrook commons by 9:00....so of course i leave the house at 9:45 and make it to the store too late and they are soldout, but the guy says try the one at 8mile and i made it there as they only had three left...the manager said they didnt have a line up outside so i lucked out.

so i pre-ordered a wii and twilight princess and im gonna go back and pay for a classic controller and red steel.

now i must develop a camping plan for ps3.

Eastbrooke Commons, eh? Right by East Detroit High School? Hahahaha... I remember when I used to shop at Harmony House on my lunch hour... that's when you were allowed to go out for lunch.

robo_robo

I got the second from last on 14. I wasn't planning to pre-order but I had stuff to sell so with the canadian EB deal it was kind of worth it. Got GoW LE pre-ordered to, can't wait for november.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
As mentioned already...

Second round of Wii reservations in two weeks
Written by: Spencer Yip

Did you miss out reserving a Wii at Gamestop last Friday? You’re going to have another chance to pick up a Wii on October 29 at Toys R Us. On top of reserving a Wii you can try and win one through their flyer in the Sunday paper.

link

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I guess I have to chalk up the price drop news as another mark against EB employees.

On the bright side, they gave me a coupon so that the trade-in bonuses were all still good. I ended up taking my Cube in for $50 credit plus a bunch of games for a total of $290 bucks in credit. If anyone wants current trade-in prices for a lot of Cube and DS games, lemme know.

BorkBork said:
I guess I have to chalk up the price drop news as another mark against EB employees.

On the bright side, they gave me a coupon so that the trade-in bonuses were all still good. I ended up taking my Cube in for $50 credit plus a bunch of games for a total of $290 bucks in credit. If anyone wants current trade-in prices for a lot of Cube and DS games, lemme know.
Price Drop News? Huh?

BorkBork said:
Post 635. Guess it's not true... or is it?
Flip a coin, who the **** knows, it doesn't change my plans in the slightest either way. If it's true, I guess I get to buy a 4th game or maybe a second wiimote if I feel like it.

Top Bottom