• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL: Wii preorders start today (10/13)

Ark-AMN

Banned
AniHawk said:
Talking to the wrooooooong guy about that, college boy
Well, western developers in general plain suck at it, but some eastern devs have done good things. I was just playing Lost in Blue and that uses the touch screen very well. :)

arne

some 30-40 people were lined up at the two EB stores downtown. In one line, the #1 person said he got there at 7am, as opposed to the prior night for the PS3 line. The store that opened at 8:45 for PS3 was still closed at 9:30, lots of folks wearing PAX t-shirts playing their DS in that line. Who was in that one from here? :lol

adg1034

Arne got his Wii? All the MS guys seem to be doing it- Arne, Che... Can't get enough of their Zelda gametapes, I suppose.

arne

adg1034 said:
Arne got his Wii? All the MS guys seem to be doing it- Arne, Che...

I'm not standing in line for ANY console anymore. I'm too old for that s***, I went to go check out the lines. The only line I'll stand in is when I actualy have to pay. Sides, if you think ANY of us aren't going to own all three consoles, you're nuts. We work in the industry because we wanna play games. sheesh! :lol

adg1034

arne said:
I'm not standing in line for ANY console anymore. I'm too old for that s***, I went to go check out the lines. The only line I'll stand in is when I actualy have to pay. Sides, if you think ANY of us aren't going to own all three consoles, you're nuts. We work in the industry because we wanna play games. sheesh! :lol
I'm just giving you guys a bad time. Anyone who only buys one console just because they work for that company has something seriously wrong with them.

I had a rather geekily epic Friday the 13th.

I get up at 5:40am and get on the 6:19 bus over to the EB at the mall close to my university. I figure I'm probably going to be somewhere in the top 5 people there considering how early I'm leaving. The mall I'm going to is an outdoor mall, so its easy to stroll right in.

I get there, and there are 35 people in front of me. WHAT THE ****? The store doesn't even open for 3 and a half hours, and the allotment of 30 units (according to the mob) for the system are already taken?? I counted 10 separate sleeping bags, as well. I also hear from the crowd that the EB is going to give priority to those who preordered games. The guy in front of me even said the manager told him after he wasn't able to get a ps3 to reserve a Wii game just to get priority. Seems like i'm SoL. No wheels, so I can't try any other stores easily. Defeat.

I decide to wait there as #36 though, hearing that for the PS3, this store started a seconday pre-order list which would not guarantee a unit on launch day. I figured my plan would be to camp at Wal-Mart for launch, seeing just how crazy the demand for Wii was, and to pray for the seconday preorder to go through anyway.

So the clock keeps ticking. The line grows to 55+. Some people arriving see the line and don't even bother trying. #33 and #34 crossed themselves off (hoping to try other stores), and it seems like #31 for some reason was never used, bumping me up 3 positions to #33. There is hope! Not much, considering the game pre-order issue and the 30 limit, but still some!

The manager arrives at 9:30am, and begins to go down the list of names the mob had made on a big sheet. With each name, he hands out a sheet with their number on it with the games for launch listed.

As he begins to list them off, one person isn't present. Some of the crowd chants "not here!" (gotta love geek gatherings). And another. I'm up to #31 now!

The manager reaches #28 of his sheets. He asks "I can't pronounce this name, Birdman? Beeirdman?" No one. "Not here!"

I become #30. **** YES.

It does turn out, though, that #33 ended up being the final unit. Not that this mattered to me by this point. The others were told to go home, not even offered a backup pre-order list. It would have sucked majorly had I not gotten to below #33, wasting my entire morning. Also turns out this manager got chewed out by the corporate suits for that preordering a game issue with the PS3. This was in La Jolla, CA, btw.

I walk away with my pre-order receipt of a Wii, Zelda, and Red Steel in hand, as well as my #30 sheet.

Thank you Birdman. I love you. <3

tenchir

I am pretty sure most of southen california EB/GS are done with preorder. I called like almost 20 different stores this morning to ask if they are still doing preorders and was told that they are all gone. I lived in Glendale and go to work in Chatsworth so I figured I can preordered one at one of the stores on my way home.... NOPE.

Here's a partial list of location that I called for the Los Angeles County.

Glendale, Eagle Rock, Burbank, Alhambra, Monterey Park, Pasadena, Pomona, Northridge, Chatsworth, Rosemead, etc.....

Crap.... does anyone know what site will do preorder and when?

AniHawk

Eroding_Era said:
I had a rather geekily epic Friday the 13th.

I get up at 5:40am and get on the 6:19 bus over to the EB at the mall close to my university. I figure I'm probably going to be somewhere in the top 5 people there considering how early I'm leaving. The mall i'm going to is an outdoor mall, so its easy to stroll right in.

I get there, and there are 35 people in front of me. WHAT THE ****? The store doesn't even open for 3 and a half hours, and the allotment of 30 units (according to the mob) for the system are already taken?? I counted 10 separate sleeping bags, as well. I also hear from the crowd that the EB is going to give priority to those who preordered games. The guy in front of me even said the manager told him after he wasn't able to get a ps3 to reserve a Wii game just to get priority. Seems like i'm SoL. No wheels, so I can't try any other stores easily. Defeat.

I decide to wait there as #36 though, hearing that for the PS3, this store started a seconday pre-order list which would not guarantee a unit on launch day. I figured my plan would be to camp at Wal-Mart for launch, seeing just how crazy the demand for Wii was, and to pray for the seconday preorder to go through anyway.

So the clock keeps ticking. The line grows to 55+. Some people arriving see the line and don't even bother trying. #33 and #34 crossed themselves off (hoping to try other stores), and it seems like #31 for some reason was never used, bumping me up 3 positions to #33. There is hope! Not much, considering the game pre-order issue and the 30 limit, but still some!

The manager arrives at 9:30am, and begins to go down the list of names the mob had made on a big sheet. With each name, he hands out a sheet with their number on it with the games for launch listed.

As he begins to list them off, one person isn't present. Some of the crowd chants "not here!" (gotta love geek gatherings). And another. I'm up to #31 now!

The manager reaches #28 of his sheets. He asks "I can't pronounce this name, Birdman? Beeirdman?" No one. "Not here!"

I become #30. **** YES.

It does turn out, though, that #33 ended up being the final unit. Not that this mattered to me by this point. The others were told to go home, not even offered a backup pre-order list. It would have sucked majorly had I not gotten to below #33, wasting my entire morning. Also turns out this manager got chewed out by the corporate suits for that preordering a game issue with the PS3. This was in La Jolla, CA, btw.

I walk away with my pre-order receipt of a Wii, Zelda, and Red Steel in hand, as well as my #30 sheet.

Thank you Birdman. I love you. <3

Haha, that reminds me of the time that I got Shinkawa's and Kojima's autograph.

We need more stories.

Noooo I called 6 GameStop\EBs in the Philadelphia area all sold out this morning. Well looks like I'm definitely going to be part of the opening day rush to other stores. WHY HIS IWATA FORSAKEN ME?!

jluedtke

AniHawk said:
We need more stories.

Here you go:

I got to my local GameStop (just down the road from my house outside of Minneapolis) at 9:30. There were already about 20 cars in the parking lot, but I couldn't figure out why nobody was in line. "Odd", I thought. So I jumped out of my car and walked to the door to find a sign that said, "Our Wii reservations are sold out." WTF? The store wasn't even open yet! So I got in my car, grabbed my phone, and called the store, asking what the deal was. The guy told me they already had more people waiting outside than they would have Wii's in stock. So I decided **** it, I'll try standing in line, since nobody else was. Well, by the time I made that decision, there were about 8-10 people standing in line...with these strange tags in their hands. Apparently, some of these ****ers had been there since 4:30 in the god damn morning! Just then, the manager came out and made an announcement: "If you don't have one of these preorder tags, you won't be able to preorder a Wii." He then saw me and - no kidding - said, "Oh shit...John...I'm sorry, man. These guys were all here before 6am. Try either Eden Prairie or Mall of America." I thought that was amusing. I must be the guy's biggest customer, or something... :lol

Anyway, determined, I jumped into the car and headed to the dreaded MOA. I hate that ****ing place and haven't been there in over two years. It turns out that would work against me... It's now 10:20. I parked in the lot nearest to the ground floor GameStop and ran in only to find that it was now a Nestle's Cocoa store. God damn it! The other one is on the other side of the ****ing mall! So, off I go, racing through the amusement park (it's the quickest way) only to find out that this store is gone too! So I check the map...they moved it to the third floor back on the side that I entered! Back across the ****ing mall!

When I got there, the line went almost out the door. "I'm ****ed", I thought. But then, behind the counter I see someone recognize me. It's the guy who used to manage the store down the road from my house. Again, I'm not sure if I'm their biggest customer or what, but he runs out from behind the counter with something in his hand...preorder slips! He apparently has four left. He comes up to me and whispers, "How many do you need?" **** YES. It was ten minutes to 11. I love this guy.

So, here's what I preordered:

1 Wii for a friend
1 Wii Remote for a friend

1 Wii
1 Wii Remote
1 Virtual Console Controller
1 Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
1 Excite Truck
1 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
1 Red Steel
1 Trauma Center: Second Opinion

SUCCESS!

Mallika

Loved reading your story, Eroding Era. I wasn't surprised by the ending, but I was rooting for you in my head all the way through your telling. Very exciting stuff, that. :)

I guess Birdman is either weeping somewhere or clutching a pre-order receipt for another console.

Edited to add: Nice story, jluedtke. Liked reading yours too. :D

Im slowly making my way through the thread, and it seems like the stores had low amounts, which made me think:

Didnt MS allocate most launch units to Best Buy? Something like 40%? I rememebr Gamestop mad that they werent getting many

Nintendo's biggest sellers are Walmart and Toys-R-Us. Theres a good chance theyll get most units.

EbGames/Gamestop have usually been weak with Nintendo. Gamecubes at the back in presentation, and a small percentage of sales coming from them. It makes sense that if Gamestop gets ~20 per store, than best Buy will get ~60 per store.

I didnt preorder anyway.

AniHawk

I hate that ****ing place and haven't been there in over two years. It turns out that would work against me... It's now 10:20. I parked in the lot nearest to the ground floor GameStop and ran in only to find that it was now a Nestle's Cocoa store. God damn it! The other one is on the other side of the ****ing mall! So, off I go, racing through the amusement park (it's the quickest way) only to find out that this store is gone too! So I check the map...they moved it to the third floor back on the side that I entered! Back across the ****ing mall!

:lol

I guess I got lucky. My morning staff development meeting was over at 10:45. I figured it was too late but went over to GS anyway. Arrived around 11:05 (as did many, many, other cars) and went in ahead of them. I managed to be 32 out of 35 but man, were the others pissed to find out they were too late. One old lady started screaming, "you told me on the phone just minutes ago that you still had 6 left!" On a side note, they wouldn't sell me an extra Wiimote/nunchuck saying that they are only allowing pre-orders for the system and games!?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pretty much the same story for both the PS3 and the Wii. I got to the mall at 8, sat outside the store. People can trickling in, at 9 for both, they sent people on their (not so) merry way. Paid off my console, 3 wii motes, 3 nunchucks, the 1GB card, I already had my games taken care of.

AniHawk

thebigkahuna said:
On a side note, they wouldn't sell me an extra Wiimote/nunchuck saying that they are only allowing pre-orders for the system and games!?

Stupid idiots they be, then. It was $10 for accessories.

Senretsu

well ****! I had to finish my report, ended up calling my gamestop around 11 and they had already run out. I asked him how many they had and he said "little less than 40"

damn damn damn damn damn damn!!!! Now I have to risk it on November 19th. But I think it should be ok.

LM4sure

Banned
I went to work and never even thought about preordering. I guess I will hit up the local Wal Mart or Target on the day of release. That is if my amazon.com orders don't come through.

AniHawk

Agent Icebeezy said:
Pretty much the same story for both the PS3 and the Wii. I got to the mall at 8, sat outside the store. People can trickling in, at 9 for both, they sent people on their (not so) merry way. Paid off my console, 3 wii motes, 3 nunchucks, the 1GB card, I already had my games taken care of.

I wanna know what happened with the people who were turned away.

And I'm surprised at how many people showed up because they couldn't get a PS3. I asked one guy who hadn't bought a Nintendo system since the SNES why he was getting it- and it was basically for the VC (Commodore 64 fanboy). One guy reserved Splinter Cell for Wii because he wanted an action/adventure game.

Most people (if not everyone) reserved Zelda. We have 46 Zelda (Wii) reservations and 36 Wii reservations (Over 180 Zelda reservations total).

Javaman

Landed a pre-order at 1:16pm today, thanks to being in a small town. I don't know what spot I landed though since they wouldn't give any allocation info out. Is there any way to tell from the recipt?

AniHawk

Javaman said:
Landed a pre-order at 1:16pm today, thanks to being in a small town. I don't know what spot I landed though since they wouldn't give any allocation info out. Is there any way to tell from the recipt?

Look at the transaction number in the upper-righthand corner, and divide by four. Then round UP to the next number.

lachesis

Well, I almost missed my chance too. I normally get up around 9:30a, as my work schedule is 11-7. I was busy re-formatting my PC at home till 3:30a... and I was about to sleep past alarm clock, and my wife (at wor) called me at exactly 9:30a Got dressed, went to the store (literally 2-3 min by car) and stood in line as #14 out of 30 some... and all was good. :)

gotta love her. really.

mj1108

Had no chance to stand in line but did drive by on my 15 minute break and saw 12 people in line.

Midnight Walmart/Target campout here I come on Nov 19th! I'm living dangerously. :D

Nabster92

Heh, I went to the EB that Eroding_Era mentioned in that story of his. I was one of the guys who just left after seeing the line, but i did still manage to get in #33 at a gamestop nearby arriving there at around 10:15.

Bandicoot

Might as well post my story too.

I got up at 7:30am this morning and drove over to the local gamestop here in Torrance, CA. I figured there would be a few people there, but I was surprised to already see 19 people in line. There was a sign up sheet on the front door so I signed my name and settled in for the 2 hour wait. I have to say I was surprised by the variety of people in line. There were 3 girls, 1 mom and her 9 year old son and a group of guys in spots #1-6 that has been there with sleeping bags since 1am the night before. Anyways, the manager gets there at about 9:00, takes one look at the line and goes "oh ****". One of the guys in the front of the line asks him "how many Wii's are you guys getting?" and the manager says "no where near enough for this line". Crap. I wait it out for another 20 mins until he opens the store and he annoucnes that they have EIGHT Wii's for pre-sale. At this point there are at least 30 people in line so obviously we are a bit upset. The manager goes on to tell us that the EB Games at the Galleria (a mall around the corner in Hawthorne) has at least double or triple the amount of pre-orders. So I run to my car and head to the mall.

When I get there, I don't see anyone outside and start to get excited. Its about 9:30 at this point so I think its a great sign. I park the car and head up the doors to wait it out until the mall opens at 10am. To my horror, I find that the mall is already open. (not the stores, just the mall itself) I walk in as fast as I can without running and head straight to the EB. I was blown away to find EIGHT people in line. YES! YES! I hop into the line and about 10 mins later the manager comes out and hands us the Wii handouts with all the games and accessories. He tells us that as long as we have the sheets, we will get a Wii. Over the next 10 minutes 15 more people show up. Most of em are from the original Gamestop that we were first at. Every single person in line got a Wii from this EB Games. The final line count was somewhere around 30 at this store.

Needless to say I got really lucky and was THRILLED to get my pre-order. No more Costco parking lot at 4am in the morning on launch day! *Damm you microsoft!*

My Pre-Order:

Wii Console
Wiimote
Nunchuck
Classic Controller
2000 point VC Gamecard
Zelda:TP
Excitetruck
Trauma Center
Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

I know im going to get one of the FPS's but figured I would wait for reviews and decide between Red Steel and COD3 at a later date.

I had a "18" store with "17" available. Guess only one employee wanted one for now.

At 7:00 a.m. my store had 11 people already in line, two of which were sleeping on the cement in sleeping bags in front of the door. I had to laugh out loud when I saw that.

It probably took a hour or so but then people really started to get in line, at which we were sending away the extras by 9:00. One guy estimated he was #17, but then a kid who was with his friend decided to get one (when he told #17 he was not going to) when they were already in the store after 10 a.m.

Dood: "Wait, I'm supposed to be #17... now you are telling me I won't get one?"
Clerk: "His friend decided to get one." *points to one of two kids in front of me*
Dood: "WHAT? YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE NOT GETTING ONE??!!"
Kid: "..."
Kid: "I changed my mind." *turns his back to him*
Dood: "Thanks for telling me NOW." *mutters unfriendly words right out the door*
Kid: *shrugs*

At that point I just wanted to get out of there before the dood came back with a shotgun. (Although I did think it was pretty assy not to tell the guy you were even considering it and then waiting till last moment... I would have been pissed too after waiting all that time.)

Otherwise, I'm set (with Zelda and Rayman ordered too). I probably won't NEED the pwii-order but I feel better having it anyways.

Thaedolus

Oh just another note on the guy that paid $150 for a spot in line: he claimed he was planning on going without sleep until he beat Zelda. Yes, he knew it would likely take over two days. Yes, he said he already had the days off work to do it.

The funny thing was, the guy was probably the least gamer-looking person there. Totally clean cut, abercrombie clothes...weird.

deamentia

Hudson Hawk
I was to meet a few guys from the office over at the Sequoia Station Gamestop in Woodside, California - and I shoulda known better. You see, the manager there, "Dave", openly lied to us a day before the PlayStation 3 went on pre-sale saying it wasn't going to happen. So, when I showed up, I was quickly assured by one of the persons in line that this store would be receiving 35 units. I was number 16. Dubious, I went along with it - hoping against hope.

blog10.jpg

Then the crazy lady came. Around 8:30 this "on-site supervisor" lady comes to the crowd and starts harassing us, saying we're all loitering and disrupting business (she seriously thinks we're threatening the sales of an "ink cartridge" refill store that's not even open!). No offense, crazy lady, but this was the most peaceful and civil camp out crowd I've ever been a part of! Anyway, she badgers us and tells us to leave. We ask her if she'd like to start a list for us before we disperse and she refuses. So what happens? No one budges. She walks away and comes back 10 minutes later telling us the Redwood Police are on their way.

We laugh.

The police show up and from what we observed, they didn't want to get involved. They questioned this "supervisor" asking her exactly what we were doing that was so illegal. She ranted on and on, but you could clearly see that the cops felt their time could have been better spent elsewhere. Finally, the cops and the supervisor walk over to us. She tells us move our line so we don't block any surrounding store (which we weren't even doing in the first place)! The friendly cops ask us what we're in line for and generally seemed interested in our devotion for Nintendo's new system.

blog11.jpg

The supervisor calls the Gamestop manager, "Dave", - remember him? So anyway, Dave arrives and lets a bunch of his employees and friends into the store. Minutes later, he comes out and says they only have 15 units for pre-sale. Being number 16, my battle aura begins to grow. But now is not the time for stomping shady Gamestop employees - time is wasting! Sadly enough, a friend later tells me that "Dave" had enough units for pre-sale but sold them to employees and friends as a priority first. From what I've seen, this is against Gamestop's policy, and of course, this is the same guy who lied to us about the PS3 pre-orders, so I'm not surprised. Bidding the lucky ones goodbye, I high-tail it back to Pacifica where there's four EB/Gamestops within a half-mile radius. I hit up the mall around 9:45 and make it at #17 in the line. The manager opens up and tells us he's got 20 systems for pre-sale. He doesn’t let his employees sneak in pre-orders – instead he makes them line up outside just like everyone else. Kudos to him.

I'm safe.

I pre-order my Wii, an extra Wii-mote, Nunchuk, Red Steel, Zelda, Trauma Center, and Metal Slug Anthology and head back to the office.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A heart-warming story, though I'm rather surprised you couldn't use your connections to make your life a bit easier for yourself. A fun read. Gratz!

MrDaravon

argon said:
My EB said they'd only do 3 preorders .. Something shady is going on at that store =(

Yeah, you guys that are being told these numbers REALLY need to report this shit to corporate, you guys are getting screwed. I know people got screwed at mine too.

Also, can any GS/EB confirm/deny midnight release for the Wii, or will it be a store by store thing? I totally forgot to ask this morning.

AniHawk

argon said:
My EB said they'd only do 3 preorders .. Something shady is going on at that store =(

Report that shit.

I made sure I was in line so people wouldnt get pissed.

SailorDaravon said:
Yeah, you guys that are being told these numbers REALLY need to report this shit to corporate, you guys are getting screwed. I know people got screwed at mine too.

Also, can any GS/EB confirm/deny midnight release for the Wii, or will it be a store by store thing? I totally forgot to ask this morning.

Midnight launch for Wii and PS3.

And it's all Zepking's fault.

SailorDaravon said:

I like how this thread makes it abundantly clear (as if I didn't already know this) that GS/EB is a horrific business populated entirely by graft and illegitimacy.

deamentia said:
I pre-order my Wii, an extra Wii-mote, Nunchuk, Red Steel, Zelda, Trauma Center, and Metal Slug Anthology and head back to the office.

You pre-ordered the same things I did. I am really looking forward to Metal Slug Anthology.

When I got to the final EBGames(Fashion Square in Orlando), there was only one guy there, so my dad and I (he wanted to see Nintendo fans line up for some reason) sat down infront of the store and waited in the mall. The manager came out and told us "we don't open until 10" and left with keys and a box of cigarettes. At this time, it was 8:15 and I was wondering why not just open the store for pre-orders, but I thought there must be a reason, so I didn't give it anymore thought.

After 10 minutes, she comes back and leaves again after 10 minutes again with the box of cigarettes and comes back counting the new people in line. Now it is about 8:45 and there are 8 people in line, so she tells the 8th person in line that he is the last one and to turn away anyone that gets in line after him. I thought that was kind of odd for the manager to tell the customer how to handle the lines, but he actually did it. They people didn't listen, though(why should they?) so the line got longer.

At around 9 another employee comes, kicks open the gate with his foot and he starts tagging things. A few minutes later, another guy comes up and stands infront of the gate and does the same thing, but it didn't look like an employee(I guess he was though). At 9:30 they were ringing up their pre-orders when the manager yelled "I didn't take my 10% off for my pre-order!" At exactly 10AM, the gate opened and she tells us that eventhough we pre-order we may not get a system and that we can pass around the games and accessories list.

Pretty calm group of people. Very quiet, too.

Netrunner2k2 said:
You pre-ordered the same things I did. I am really looking forward to Metal Slug Anthology.

When I got to the final EBGames(Fashion Square in Orlando), there was only one guy there, so my dad and I (he wanted to see Nintendo fans line up for some reason) sat down infront of the store and waited in the mall. The manager came out and told us "we don't open until 10" and left with keys and a box of cigarettes. At this time, it was 8:15 and I was wondering why not just open the store for pre-orders, but I thought there must be a reason, so I didn't give it anymore thought.

After 10 minutes, she comes back and leaves again after 10 minutes again with the box of cigarettes and comes back counting the new people in line. Now it is about 8:45 and there are 8 people in line, so she tells the 8th person in line that he is the last one and to turn away anyone that gets in line after him. I thought that was kind of odd for the manager to tell the customer how to handle the lines, but he actually did it. They people didn't listen, though(why should they?) so the line got longer.

At around 9 another employee comes, kicks open the gate with his foot and he starts tagging things. A few minutes later, another guy comes up and stands infront of the gate and does the same thing, but it didn't look like an employee(I guess he was though). At 9:30 they were ringing up their pre-orders when the manager yelled "I didn't take my 10% off for my pre-order!" At exactly 10AM, the gate opened and she tells us that eventhough we pre-order we may not get a system and that we can pass around the games and accessories list.

Pretty calm group of people. Very quiet, too.

Was this manager at least OK looking, because otherwise she has absolutely no redeemable qualities nor nothing to offer to the world.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Most people (if not everyone) reserved Zelda. We have 46 Zelda (Wii) reservations and 36 Wii reservations (Over 180 Zelda reservations total).

:)

This warms my evil heart.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Which part- the part that there are more Zeldas than Wiis or that there are more GCs than Wiis.

Just the overall amount of Zeldas being preordered. :)

Top Bottom