• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL: Wii preorders start today (10/13)

SuperPac

Why do people think that the 2 million number is going to all be shipped on the first day? I thought it was 2 million by year's end. If it gets on more "hot gift" lists and if people respond to the advertising / demo stations, there's no reason not to think that it could be a little bit more difficult than anticipated to get a system on launch day.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I wonder if Nintendo will go the Sony route and have Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Circuit City having the bulk of the units.

Shapermc

SuperPac said:
Why do people think that the 2 million number is going to all be shipped on the first day? I thought it was 2 million by year's end. If it gets on more "hot gift" lists and if people respond to the advertising / demo stations, there's no reason not to think that it could be a little bit more difficult than anticipated to get a system on launch day.
For them the glass is half full.

AniHawk

dskillzhtown said:
I wonder if Nintendo will go the Sony route and have Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Circuit City having the bulk of the units.
40% of Wii allocations are going to Gamestop/EB, reportedly.

SuperPac said:

2 million at launch. 4 million apparently by the end of the year.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'd preorder this, but between PS3, Resistance, FFXII, and WoW:BC preorders, I'm tapped out on funds. Oh well, Zelda will be around after the new year. Maybe by then we'll see more previews for original software on the machine. :)

TiVo

AniHawk said:
Another picture from the preordering madness this morning:

IMG_1551.jpg

This morning? I could swear I've seen that pic moths ago and photoshopped.

Kintaro said:
I'd preorder this, but between PS3, Resistance, FFXII, and WoW:BC preorders, I'm tapped out on funds. Oh well, Zelda will be around after the new year. Maybe by then we'll see more previews for original software on the machine. :)

:lol One may be able to argue that each piece of software may or may not be quality on Wii, but tell me...which piece of software on Wii is not original? There are many games that have Wii controls tacked on, but that still makes them original to me.

AniHawk

Link648099 said:
:lol One may be able to argue that each piece of software may or may not be quality on Wii, but tell me...which piece of software on Wii is not original? There are many games that have Wii controls tacked on, but that still makes them original to me.

Let's not do this please.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Too much derailing, more preorder talk.

Although shortages are unlikely I got to the mall EB 20 minutes before opening and I was 30 of 32. A few guys who lined up after me had already been in the parking lot for an hour but didn't realize the mall doors were open. So they got screwed. Sad, but funny.

This is in San Mateo, CA.

My pre-order story (including the PS3 story for comparison):

PS3 - 10 per-orders available
5:30am - 2 people arrived together
7:00am - I get there
7:45am - 1 person arrived (at this point I called my friends and told them to get down there)
8:00am - Friend #1 arrived
8:10am - 1 person arrived
8:14am - Friend #2 arrived
8:28am - 1 person arrived
8:45am - 1 person arrived
9:57am - Final person arrived

Wii - 12 pre-orders available
8:00am - 1 person arrived
9:30am - I get there
9:35am - 1 person arrived
9:50am - 3 people arrived together
9:54am - 2 people arrived together
9:58am - 1 person arrived, with his 3 kids
10:00am - 1 person arrived, with his GF
10:02am - 2 people arrived together
10:10am - 1 person calls, asks if all pre-orders are gone, is sad when the answer is yes, we laugh as we pay our deposits

So, I now have 1 PS3, 1 Wii, Zelda, 2 additional Wii-motes, 2 additional numchuks.

Fun stuff!

~Cris

MrDaravon

Dragona Akehi said:
2 million at launch. 4 million apparently by the end of the year.

Those are worldwide numbers. Again, I want a link from anywhere that says there will be 2 million at launch in US. # supposedly completed in factories does not equal US launch allotment.

I'll wait.

MrDaravon

BuzzJive said:

Yeah, I know, but a)people are taking that as gospel (although it's probably not too far fetched), and b)people are ignoring that it's talking worldwide numbers.

Briefing.com reports (subscription only) that, according to UBS, 2 million Wii consoles were completed in Q3 (July-September) to support Nintendo's upcoming Q406 global console launch, beginning November 19th in North America.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Link648099 said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

*cough*

Anyways, good to hear alot of preorder stories here. Despite the numbers, I'd still expect to walk in and pick up a Wii from Wally World or wherever you like. It's always more fun to preorder though, especially if you're with a good group of people waiting. Of course, in my town, I was 4th in line for PS3 at 7pm that day, so...I wonder how the preorder thing went here. I'll have to check for S&Gs.

SailorDaravon said:
Yeah, I know, but a)people are taking that as gospel (although it's probably not too far fetched), and b)people are ignoring that it's talking worldwide numbers.

Perrin let slip the 2 million at launch.

TiVo

I did not get to pre-order because of the fact that I have a job.

Pre-orders this limited should have been held on the week-end to give evryone a fighting chance.

If the PS3 has 400,000 for NA. And EB had 10-20 pre-orders then how can the Wii with at least 1,000,000 have the same amount of limited pre-orders? Should be at least 40-80 per store?

adg1034

TiVo said:

Pre-orders this limited should have been held on the week-end to give evryone a fighting chance.

If the PS3 has 400,000 for NA. And EB had 10-20 pre-orders then how can the Wii with at least 1,000,000 have the same amount of limited pre-orders? Should be at least 40-80 per store?

Nintendo's saving most of them for Target/Best Buy/Oprah.

TiVo said:

Oh my god for the last time...EB/GS has SAID that they refuse to believe Nintendo's manufactured numbers and so they are only preordering a fraction of what Nintendo is externally promising.

MrDaravon

Link648099 said:
Oh my god for the last time...EB/GS has SAID that they refuse to believe Nintendo's manufactured numbers and so they are only preordering a fraction of what Nintendo is externally promising.

QFT. That's basically what I was told this morning. And for once I have to say that GS/EB did a fairly good job of handling this; the news was available for a few days so those who wanted it badly enough could get in on it, and they're making sure they don't overdo preorders again. It's pretty safe to say they'll probably get more then what they did to day at launch, but until they actually have them in their distribution centers, they don't want to overpromise. Can't say I blame them after the 360 thing.

all the gamestops by me are out. sucks that those who have to work all day get screwed.

i guess my amazon pre-order will have to do for now.

Jive Turkey said:
Knowing GS/EB they'd stop taking preorders once they hit 250% of their allocation.

I really don't think that is the case this time, they were way to cautious about accepting pre-orders. They are hoping to avoid the problems that plagued 360 reservations.

Soul4ger

Didn't Perrin also "let slip" that the Wii was regionless? How many times in the past six months have we scoffed at things Kaplan said, that turned out to be completely false?

Jeff-DSA

TheJollyCorner said:
the lack of photoshopping is utterly disappointing. :(

I wish I had taken my digital camera. There were some hilarious sites. One ranting mom lost it when she was told that she might want to line up for a few hours in front of a Wal-Mart at launch since she showed up too late to preorder.

I also saw man tears. It was a sad, terrible, awesome site.

lachesis

Well, where I was standing - there were some pretty rough Anti-PS3 rantings all over... and at that time, I reallized I'm in the Wii preorder line. :lol

whzup444

Hey, so I pre-ordered my Wii this morning (got there at 10:00 AM and was 20th in line). They wouldn't tell me how many there were getting at launch, but they did cap it off at about 30 pre-orders. Will I probably get one?

adg1034

whzup444 said:
Hey, so I pre-ordered my Wii this morning (got there at 10:00 AM and was 20th in line). They wouldn't tell me how many there were getting at launch, but they did cap it off at about 30 pre-orders. Will I probably get one?
If you got a preorder, barring any problems on the Nintendo/shipping side of things, then yes.

TiVo

kenicon.jpg

How is Ken Lobb doing? Haven't heard his name banded about in a long time. His name rang close to Reggie proportions but now...

vitaflo

AniHawk said:
40% of Wii allocations are going to Gamestop/EB, reportedly.

There are 4500 GS/EB stores (worldwide mind you), and it looks like an average of about 16 Wii preorders per store (just based on this thread). That's about 72,000 preorders.

If GS/EB are getting 40% of the allocations, that's only 180k Wii consoles at launch, total.

AniHawk

vitaflo said:
There are 4500 GS/EB stores (worldwide mind you), and it looks like an average of about 16 Wii preorders per store (just based on this thread). That's about 72,000 preorders.

If GS/EB are getting 40% of the allocations, that's only 180k Wii consoles at launch, total.

12 per store was the LOWEST level. I think the average was closer to the middle level- 24.

vitaflo

AniHawk said:
12 per store was the LOWEST level. I think the average was closer to the middle level- 24.

Put it this way, if that 40% allocation to GS/EB is correct, to even have one million Wii's available on launch day, GS/EB would have to have 89 Wii's available at every single store they own.

vitaflo said:
Put it this way, if that 40% allocation to GS/EB is correct, to even have one million Wii's available on launch day, GS/EB would have to have 89 Wii's available at every single store they own.
Or they could sell them through their online store.

Superbone

More interest for Wii than PS3 in Temecula, CA.

Got to the Gamestop at 9:20 a.m. I was 31st in line out of 36 available pre-orders. This time they made us wait until 10 a.m. to purchase our systems. Also pre-ordered GH2 while I was there. (Yea!)

Amir0x said:
:lol I do imagine it's partially to do with devs being caught off guard at the response the system seemed to get since E3, so it's a little hard to expect them to suddenly come up with compelling stuff in time for launch. My fear is still what comes after...am I still gonna be stuck with a Nintendocube, or is anything good gonna be announced from third parties?

Well, i guess since there's no E3 or TGS anymore it's up to Nintendo to fill us in at some point soon :p
Granted you also have to remember how long it took for third parties to come up with games for the DS that utilized the touch screen in a useful manner.

AniHawk

college_boy said:
Granted you also have to remember how long it took for third parties to come up with games for the DS that utilized the touch screen in a useful manner.

Talking to the wrooooooong guy about that, college boy

Top Bottom