• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL: Wii preorders start today (10/13)

oddigy

I was second in line (behind a doting mother who talked a lot about her 13 year old, hehe) at one of our local GameStops (SugarLand, TX - I swear, there must be like 20 GameStops in a 15 mile circle) If you want, you can praise me for being another one of those miracle wives who will wait in line for the household Wii (my husband had a meeting at 9, so I had to hold down the fort 'til he came back... which was just about at 10am) It was a balmy 65F out though, so I suppose it's not that wonderous. ;)

Anyway, there were about 18 people lined up by the time 10:00 rolled around, and I think the store was allotted 16 preorders. I'm not sure what happened to the end of the line... I was in and out too fast to care.

I got there two hours early... the people really didn't start showing up until about a half hour to opening.

The employee who showed up before everyone really knew his shit, and handed out little preorder papers to everyone that showed the games and accessories suggested.

We got
- 1 Wii
- 2 classic controllers
- 1 extra nunchuck
- 1 extra wiimote
- red steel
- trauma center
- zelda:TP
- excite truck

all paid in full.

This thanksgiving when we make the rounds to the parents'/in-laws houses, we're takin' it with us. gonna be tons of fun. :)

Fatalah

Got mine preordered in my small town in Queens, NY. Got there at 940, and they opened doors at that time too. Was surprised to see hardcore gamers in my little town, I never really think anybody's informed as myself!

But anyway, I was number 14. They had 16 consoles to pre-order. I would have been pissed if I didn't get one because I had to wait 10 minutes for my car in the morning and those 10 minutes were VITAL!

Standing in line there took a half an hour with one cashier! So annoying! Wish there was a faster way! And why didn't he count us out to tell us how many people will get one?

For the PS3, I wish I woulda woke up early to preorder---it wasn't cold or anything.

Pre-ordered Red Steel, Pre-ordered Zelda.

Should I have pre-ordered an extra remote? Probably not a big deal right?

cvxfreak

My EB was all full an hour before they opened. They handed out slips to people that were guaranteed a system, so I estimate they had around 20 pre-orders or so. I didn't get one, but I don't feel bad about it at all.

EDIT: I'm in the San Francisco area.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
32 preorders available at the Gamestop in Redmond, WA.

No big deal really -- just a lot of nerds standing around making nerd jokes, playing PSP and DS, etc.

At one point the Gamestop nazi comes out and hands us all a list of games we can preorder and -- I swear to god -- there's very little on this list that I'd want to buy: a shitload of multiplatform games (why would anyone in their right minds want to play games like COD3 and MOH: Airborne and NFS: Carbon on Wii is beyond me), Wario Ware isn't until 1/15, Golf isn't until 12/12, and Red Steel just doesn't do it for me graphically (visuals are important in an FPS). After studying the list, I seriously started questioning why I was standing in line in the first place and came to the conclusion that I was there because I missed out on PS3 so I felt the need to satiate my new toy preordering urge with something else.

But ahhh, there's Zelda. So I just ended up preordering a system and Zelda. :p

The end.

hiryu

I got the 10th of 14 preorders this morning at my local EB. I was kind of suprised to find a line there considering I live in a small rural area. Was also suprised to find fellow Gaffer Matlock in front of me in line. Small world we live in.

chespace said:

No big deal really -- just a lot of nerds standing around making nerd jokes, playing PSP and DS, etc.

At one point the Gamestop nazi comes out and hands us all a list of games we can preorder and -- I swear to god -- there's very little on this list that I'd want to buy: a shitload of multiplatform games (why would anyone in their right minds want to play games like COD3 and MOH: Airborne and NFS: Carbon on Wii is beyond me), Wario Ware isn't until 1/15, Golf isn't until 12/12, and Red Steel just doesn't do it for me graphically (visuals are important in an FPS). After studying the list, I seriously started questioning why I was standing in line in the first place and came to the conclusion that I was there because I missed out on PS3 so I felt the need to satiate my new toy preordering urge with something else.

The end.
Monkey Ball Banana Blast.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Fatalah said:
Got mine preordered in my small town in Queens, NY. Got there at 940, and they opened doors at that time too. Was surprised to see hardcore gamers in my little town,
what town is that?

MadOdorMachine said:
There was probably about 20 people in line at my GameStop today just after they opened all for the Wii preorder. I was just there to trade in a game, but apparently they only got slotted 12 systems so they're already sold out with preorders. I couldn't believe the line though. It's crazy, I didn't know that many people wanted the Wii.
you were there - at opening - just to trade in a game? Were you bored?

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:

The end.

yeah Nintendo's worst problem is that for all the talk of being a system for pure entertainment, they sure do offer the absolute worst game lineup I've seen for a system with so much so-called "potential", that's for sure. I don't merely mean launch, either. I hope Nintendo is doing some crazy shit behind the scenes to get some compelling third party support.

ChanHuk

Banned
Showed up at 9:30, 8 out of 30. Gamestop did force you to preorder 2 games though. I'll just return Warioware and keep Zelda. Any word on component cables for launch?

hyp

mission accomplished. #2 in line (overnight campout). demand was very high, only 18 units at the gs i was at. over 40 people showed up... but the 18th person had to give them the bad news. good times, can't wait to touch my wii.

Amir0x

Banned
Why are these stores forcing you to get anything? All we had to do is have a minimum 50 dollars/credit and we were good to go

chespace

Amir0x said:
yeah Nintendo's worst problem is that for all the talk of being a system for pure entertainment, they sure do offer the absolute worst game lineup I've seen for a system with so much so-called "potential", that's for sure. I don't merely mean launch, either. I hope Nintendo is doing some crazy shit behind the scenes to get some compelling third party support.

Seriously, worst launch line-up ever.

What the f u c k is Happy Feet and Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy?

Hell, bring on Mama Can I Mow The Lawn while you're at it, Nintendo.

chespace said:

Midway I believe.

oddigy

ChanHuk said:
Showed up at 9:30, 8 out of 30. Gamestop did force you to preorder 2 games though. I'll just return Warioware and keep Zelda. Any word on component cables for launch?

If your GameStop "forced" you to order games, they weren't following protocol.
Get the store # and report them to corporate.

Same for any store that opened before normal opening time.

Jeff-DSA

HOLY CRAP! That was insane.

I showed up at 8:20 and was #22 out of 27. My co-worker (who rode over there with me) was #26; that's how quickly people were showing up. The crazy thing is that the line got to over 100 on the sign up list. It wasn't until the manager stepped out and said that he only had 27 to go around that everybody left. People kept showing up for a long time afterwards and were turned away. All in all I'd say it was around 150 people that showed up by the time I got out of there (11:20).

Parents showing up late were throwing fits too. I felt bad for them, but they didn't have a chance when people's names were on the list as early as 5:00pm yesterday (7 before midnight).

Anyway, I got my preorder (but I wouldn't have if I was 30 seconds later) and I'm happy. I still hate Gamestop though.

SantaC

Gold Member
chespace said:

The end.

Zelda isn't a bad choice at all. I bought the same. a Wii and Zelda. Seriously, F the GC version.

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:

:lol I do imagine it's partially to do with devs being caught off guard at the response the system seemed to get since E3, so it's a little hard to expect them to suddenly come up with compelling stuff in time for launch. My fear is still what comes after...am I still gonna be stuck with a Nintendocube, or is anything good gonna be announced from third parties?

Well, i guess since there's no E3 or TGS anymore it's up to Nintendo to fill us in at some point soon :p

weepy

chespace said:

sarcasm much?

adg1034

Amir0x- you can tell us what the mystery game was. We won't make any snide remarks if it's Twilight Princess, honestly.

I'm not even joking here.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
adg1034 said:
Amir0x- you can tell us what the mystery game was. We won't make any snide remarks if it's Twilight Princess, honestly.

I'm not even joking here.

he'll tell you for $100.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait

amir0x is getting Trauma Centre when he basically swore on his MOTHER'S GRAVE he wouldn't because he didn't like the DS version?

PS: anyone feeling the need to PREORDER WII is batshit insane.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait

amir0x is getting Trauma Centre when he basically swore on his MOTHER'S GRAVE he wouldn't because he didn't like the DS version?

Trauma Center is a technicality - it's not really for me, my sister wants it and since she comes over a lot to visit I let her choose my second game.

Batongen

Banned
chespace said:

Yeah, how boring I'll have playing Zelda, Rayman and Monkey Ball. Also, don't forget the tech demo that comes with the system. What's the name, "Wii not a gem"?

lachesis

So.. do we know what exactly is in the box?

Wii
Wii-mote
Nunchuck
Power Supply Block
Wii-Sports
.. that's what the guy said.

Does anyone know what kind of AV cable it will have?

GS wasn't taking any pre-orders for Component, and there's a 60 dollar version of component cable which will be available for Wii later on. :(

And.. How about SD card? Isn't 512 SD card coming with it? It would be pretty sucky if I have to shell out more $$$ for the card. :(

Interestingly, the guy said that SD card will be inserted in Wii-mote. I thought it went directly into the machine itself. Strange..

adg1034

Amir0x said:
Trauma Center is a technicality - it's not really for me, my sister wants it and since she comes over a lot to visit I let her choose my second game.

Uh huh.

Oh, and lachesis, the guy was wrong about the SD card. It goes into the console.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
chespace said:

I agree. The only worthy launch title in the line up is a game originally for Gamecube. You can see why Nintendo had to put Zelda on the Wii

Actually, there is Trauma Center...ok, so there's 2 games worth getting :)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Amir0x said:

it'd be your third game... don't forget that Wii Sports is first
in your heart!

Fatalah

I pre-ordered Red Steel and, of course, Zelda.

I figured Red Steel would be the must-have FPS game for any FPS fan. It's good Wii's got a game that exemplifies the FPS possibilities straight off the bat. Ubisoft is king.

I really didn't know what other games I should buy. I don't know much about Trauma Center. That's not that disaster game we saw a teaser of at E3?

Jeff-DSA

lachesis said:
So.. do we know what exactly is in the box?

Wii
Wii-mote
Nunchuck
Power Supply Block
Wii-Sports
.. that's what the guy said.

The stand is in the box. I tried to preorder one and they said it came with one and they are selling one for people who either lose or break theirs somehow.

chespace

Well different strokes I guess...

PS2 launch was kinda shitty games-wise, but there were more games that appealed to me on an aesthetic or genre level: Kessen, RRV, TTT... hell, even X-Squad or whatever the hell that game was called was at least a 3rd person shooter (a genre I enjoy). Plus, PS2 wasn't straddled with the perception of having shittier multiplatform ports (again, Marvel Ultimate Alliance on Wii? WHY?).

Dreamcast launch was the best.

Xbox launch had Halo.

N64 had Mario 64.

Xbox 360 had PDZ, PGR3, COD2, RR6, etc.

Wii has Zelda -- a game I'd probably rather play with a GC controller. :p

billysea

Banned
Who cares if it has a bunch of bad games at launch as long as it also has a bunch of good games next to it. No one tell you to buy those crap games.
You can just ignore those and still have a bunch of good games waiting for you to play at launch:
The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess
Super Monkey Ball : Banana Blitz
Trauma Center : Second Opinion
Red Steel
Excite Truck
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Madden NFL 2006
Elebits
Super Swing Golf Pangya
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Wii Sports (free)

These are launch games that are getting pretty good previews and are the ones what you should care, you don't need to pay attention to Happy Feet, Avatar, or other craps at launch. It's not like you have nothing more than Happy Feet to choose from.

lachesis

Jeff-DSA said:
The stand is in the box. I tried to preorder one and they said it came with one and they are selling one for people who either lose or break theirs somehow.

I see... It's kinda strange to pre-order something that I don't even know what's in the box exactly. :D

Amir0x said:
:lol I know, it's hard to believe. But honestly, I showed my sister a bunch of videos of Wii games from IGN and that is what she chose :p

I still don't get why you don't like the DS game. It's the perfect "gamer's" game. Nigh perfection (see thread).

Shapermc

Probably a stupid question, but is Dragon Quest Swords just not on EB's list, or did something happen to it? I mean, I don't know if it got pushed back or not, but it's not on there at all.

Zelda
Rayman
Red Steel
Monkey Ball
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Virtual Console.
That's enough of a launch for me.
then again, i'm not a graphics whore. Hence why my DS is always in use. Good games win me over.

Top Bottom