• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL: Wii preorders start today (10/13)

xsarien said:
You know there are other, bigger stores in the U.S. that sell video game hardware, right?

Umm.... yes? You also know that these preorder allotment totals are in-line with the PS3 ones, right? People yesterday were predicting 30+ units per store for launch and right now we're hearing a lot of 8-15's.

I was #17 at the EB Games in the Pentagon City Mall in Virginia. This is a really popular and frequented store and there were over 50 people there although only 35 could pre-order. I got there like 2 hours early around 8 and there were 16 people ahead of me, it was nuts.

Some pics: http://wii.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=7961

wiipreorder_043.jpg

wiipreorder_042.jpg

wiipreorder_041.jpg

wiipreorder_039.jpg

wiipreorder_038.jpg

wiipreorder_034.jpg

wiipreorder_012.jpg

The mall security wouldn't let us form a line until a few minutes before the store actually opened. The first people there started a list to keep track of everyone who was there which worked our surprisingly well, no one tried to jump the line or cheat the list at all. Everyone was really considerate and the whole process was actually kind of enjoyable. I brought my DS, but i spent the entire time there just talking to the various people there about my experiences playing the Wii at the NY press event. I can't tell you how many questions I got regarding Zelda alone.

MrDaravon

typhonsentra said:
Umm.... yes? You also know that these preorder allotment totals are in-line with the PS3 ones, right? People yesterday were predicting 30+ units per store for launch and right now we're hearing a lot of 8-15's.

They've being very conserative w/preorders to avoid a 360 situation. Manager told me they pretty much almost 100% expect to get more, but they're not taking more preorders to avoid disappointment. It's not like they couldn't just open up more later or take walk-ins later or anything.

Also I've heard GS/EB is getting a smaller % of Wii launch units than they are PS3 launch units, if true that would account for smaller than expected numbers as well.

typhonsentra said:
I'm surprised to hear allocation per store is so low for the Wii. Looks like the predictions of 700k+ for launch day might be a little off.

Didn't Reggie confirm "at least" 1 million for launch in the US? They've already got 2 million sitting in warehouses as of the end of last month, come on now.

ksinghsf

well GAF, guess I got screwed... 2 stores near my house in the SF bay area burbs, both I think getting 14 or so systems at launch, and both with many more people in line at 8 AM. Guess I'll have to try camping at Fry's/Walmart/etc...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
sorryaboutdresden said:
I was #17 at the EB Games in the Pentagon City Mall in Virginia. This is a really popular and frequented store and there were over 50 people there although only 35 could pre-order. I got there like 2 hours early around 8 and there were 16 people ahead of me, it was nuts.

that was the last one I tried, should have gone there first as they had much more systems than the first two I visited. Oh well.

SailorDaravon said:
Didn't Reggie confirm "at least" 1 million for launch in the US? They've already got 2 million sitting in warehouses as of the end of last month, come on now.
I've heard no such thing. Only figure I've heard is "Over 400k" for launch in response to that one question, nothing more.

SuperPac

SailorDaravon said:

I thought he only confirmed that they'll have more than PS3.

Easy_G

I got to my gamestop at 8:30 and there was probably about 16 people in line. Apparently word is they only had 8 Wii's to preorder (i guess after the employees got theirs). So I just left and now I'm here. I guess I'll just camp out super early at Best Buy on launch day.

MrDaravon

typhonsentra said:
I've heard no such thing. Only figure I've heard is "Over 400k" for launch in response to that one question, nothing more.

I might be mistaken or thinking of something else, I'll try to find it. Anyway, we know for a fact that 2 million boxed consoles are sitting there as of the end of last month. There is no way we're getting anything less than a million. Depending on the rate they're making them, I figure something like 1 million US, 500k Europe. This gives them some room to make regular releases and hold some stock for the Japanese launch, which I expect will have about a million as well, if not more. Given that they said 4 million by year end, and it's looking like they may have more than that, I think those are even conservative numbers as is.

Also mostly unrelated, but has anyone heard of some chains already getting Wiis in? I've had two different people tell me some Best Buys actually have them in security lockup in stores. I texted an old friend in CA who works at one, and he said that he had heard that, but had not actually seen them himself.

sspeedy

I got to my GS, located close to the university, at 8:15a.m. and there were 6 people already there; I was 7th. By 10a.m., there were 16-19 people in line. Only one guy was at GS, so he took us in 5 at a time, locked the door, and so on. There were only 14 preorders. Damn.

I'm esctatic I got mine. I preordered Zelda, extra controller/nunchuck, Tony Hawk Downhill, though TH I'm really not sure about.

heh. Why do I get sucked into this preordering shit?

SailorDaravon said:
I might be mistaken or thinking of something else, I'll try to find it. Anyway, we know for a fact that 2 million boxed consoles are sitting there as of the end of last month. There is no way we're getting anything less than a million. Depending on the rate they're making them, I figure something like 1 million US, 500k Europe. This gives them some room to make regular releases and hold some stock for the Japanese launch, which I expect will have about a million as well, if not more. Given that they said 4 million by year end, and it's looking like they may have more than that, I think those are even conservative numbers as is.

Also mostly unrelated, but has anyone heard of some chains already getting Wiis in? I've had two different people tell me some Best Buys actually have them in security lockup in stores. I texted an old friend in CA who works at one, and he said that he had heard that, but had not actually seen them himself.

Interesting...

Easy_G

typhonsentra said:
It's nearly noon, and this topic isn't anywhere near as active as I thought it'd be by now. Is it just that not many Gaffers went?

It's still only 9am on the West Coast and many people have school/work.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
november 17-19 will be the biggest and worst days of gaming and retail history. -and EGM put halo 3 on the cover......

i plan to walk in and get my ps3, if not hell will be paid. oh and i am getting a wii as well.

Dammit from the PS3 pre-order thread it didn't sound like the regulars even knew about the Wii. I was expecting to get out of work at 5PM and then rush to GameStop to put down a pre-order. My hopes have been dashed. Looks like I am going to be part of the launch day madness.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
typhonsentra said:
It's nearly noon, and this topic isn't anywhere near as active as I thought it'd be by now. Is it just that not many Gaffers went?

Don't get your hopes up. I'm tired as **** doing this twice in one week. I haven't been to sleep since 1pm yesterday.

Easy_G said:
It's still only 9am on the West Coast and many people have school/work.

Basically so. It wasnt until about noon CST until the PS3 thread really took off anyway. Chances are some people are still out there trying to find a preorder so they wouldnt be here.

Saoh

sorryaboutdresden said:

Some pics: http://wii.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=7961

wow, i see a totally super cute guy in those pics! yum! :p:D

and HOLY ****! @ lachesis bills! O_O wallet am cry, a lot ;_;

i could never do that, even if i do have the money.

maynerd

Banned
Damn it I have a two hour meeting starting at 10am...I won't be able to get to GS/EB till 12:30 at the earliest. I'm screwed. :(

lachesis

Well to be honest, it wasn't bad for me at all.

For PS3, I just went there at 9:40, and was on the last one of 16.
For Wii, I also went around 9:40, and still 14 out of 30-something.
For HD-DVD, I didn't even have to wait. :D

My work schedule is 11a-7p, so I was a bit late to work - but all's good now, except my bank account. :( I've saved about 850, and will have 950 by Nov. 17 - which still means I have to save even more to pay all 1262.53 + more....

Funny that they were not taking any orders for component video cable. I asked and he didn't exactly know what kind of cable it comes with, nor whether it's going to come with SD card.... Any ideas?

lachesis

billysea

Banned
People, if you are thinking about walking in during holiday to get a launch system - no matter how much the quantity there is, you are kidding yourself.
Even the last few years the DS, PS2, 360, PSP etc and even Gamecube or Xbox were hard to buy during holiday, because people are needing it for holiday gift. So no matter how much stock they have it will clear out in a matter of minutes.

holy crap at that line in the pictures above. maybe i should preorder. i was thinking i could just go in and get one on launch but maybe not.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Well I showed up outside the mall at about 6AM today, and there were already some people sitting in their cars. It was in the 30's, so nobody was getting out, but eventually I saw a couple guys go try the doors to see if they were open, so I went out and started talking to them. Eventually we got our chairs and camped at the doors, so all the people waiting in cars came out too. We froze our asses off until the security guard opened up at 7:30. I was second in line when we lined up outside the EB, and people kept filtering in until we had around 45 people in line at about 8:30, when the manager showed up. She informed us that they'd be only getting 13 Wiis and everyone behind #13 in line was SOL. She then handed out numbers. At 10 they opened, I was second to reserve mine + Zelda, Excite Truck and an extra Wiimote + nunchuck.

Funny story: The #14 guy in line came up after the crowd dispersed and offered anyone 100 bucks for their ticket. Nobody took it, and eventually he went up to 150. The #3 guy took the cash. The #4 guy in line had his buddy with him, but since his buddy wasn't buying a Wii he didn't get a ticket...#4's buddy was pretty mad that he didn't think about selling it :)

EDIT:

here's a pic a took with my phone...the line bent around to the right of where I was standing too.

Tortfeasor

Went to the same Arlington Heights, IL EB where I preordered the PS3 earlier in the week.

I was 5th in line at 8:30am and the line filled up quickly behind me. The manager let us in the store early since it was so cold outside but would not let us preorder until 10am. They had 8 units available and turned away at least 20-25 people.

only 13? goddamn i was expecting alot more per store. these are like ps3 numbers. maybe wal-mart took a big part of the systems?

i won't camp for ps3, but i will camp for Wii. I gotta ask off work that day.

lachesis

Yeah. The line was definitely much longer than PS3 (probably because they have more in stock). I'm quite sure it's all sold out where I bought mine by now. I mean, I could see almost 40 people in line, and I do think our GS actually got somewhere around 32 or so - and some of the late comers came in and went out to find another GS...

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Sgt. Killjoy said:
only 13? goddamn i was expecting alot more per store. these are like ps3 numbers. maybe wal-mart took a big part of the systems?

i won't camp for ps3, but i will camp for Wii. I gotta ask off work that day.

Well it's a small EB in the small college town of Logan, UT...so I'm not sure that number's a good measuring stick for the rest of the country. I was surprised how many girls were there too. I got talking to one who had her three month old with her, apparently she and her husband are avid gamers and absolutely cannot wait for Wii to come out. And the manager confirmed there's a midnight launch, hurrah

Thaedolus said:
Well it's a small EB in the small college town of Logan, UT...so I'm not sure that number's a good measuring stick for the rest of the country. I was surprised how many girls were there too. I got talking to one who had her three month old with her, apparently she and her husband are avid gamers and absolutely cannot wait for Wii to come out. And the manager confirmed there's a midnight launch, hurrah

yea, maybe not the best example in terms of stores.

anyone else see "nongamers" there?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
so after getting turned down at Gamestop in South Street Seaport, I made my way to the Nintendo World Store in Rockerfeller Center and preordered there.

Ny-Gafers. they are still taking preorders and you are guaranteed one, but they are approaching the cutoff point soon. Get there ASAP.

Sgt. Killjoy said:
anyone else see "nongamers" there?

I wouldn't expect non-gamers to be in line early in the morning to pre-order a game system, since the gamers are really the only people that knew about this, would you?

TiVo

Check out the guy upper right. Covering his face. Doesn't want to explain to his boss that he is late because he wanted to pre-order a "Wii":lol
wiipreorder_042.jpg

adg1034

I was 5th in line, and we ended up with about 20 people waiting by 10AM. The manager said that he thought they had 14 preorders available, so I was fine, but nobody else seemed to hear, as everybody stayed in line. When we got in, we were told that they actually had 17 available, since the manager had thought additional employees would be there. So, I got in, got my Wii and Zelda (paid off in full), and (semi-shamefully) went home and put it on eBay with a $500 reserve. I really want a Wii, but if I can get two Wiis for the price of one, I'll do it.

TheGrue

Got mine preordered this morning from Gamestop. My store had an allotment of 18 and there were actually more than that in line. I was 7th. I am in the Twin Cities and it was in the 30s outside. We played some multiplayer DS stuff, but eventually gave up on that due to numb fingers. :lol

Top Bottom