• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL: Wii preorders start today (10/13)

Terrell said:
If Wii becomes this year's Tickle-Me Elmo, better to get it now instead of battling the Wal-Mart gauntlet and getting elbowed in the face by some soccer mom desperate to get her child the next big thing.
Pre-orders just save you from any possible hassle.

this will happen as soon as nintendo launches an ad campaign similar to the "Wii Experience" vids on wii.com

xsarien

daedsiluap
Why pre-order the Wii? Nintendo's not exactly having the inventory issues that Sony's hitting. I fully expect to relive my Gamecube experience: Walk into a store, having a pile to pick from, and buying it.

In theory: When I do get it, I'm going Amazon. No sales tax FTW.

Amir0x

Banned
Kulock said:
And which doesn't fit with what my store said, which already mentioned their allocation, and it's over double the number of PS3s they're getting.

My store said they would have approximately 30 units available, and AniHawk also confirmed that there's a three level allocation or some such shit... and so it fits in with that. There's no way they'd limit it to ****ing 6, even after fears of 360, there's no point on doing pre-orders at all then since there's gonna be 2 million Wii's.

SuperPac

Smiles and Cries said:
this will happen as soon as nintendo launches an ad campaign similar to the "Wii Experience" vids on wii.com

If everyone's reaction to Wii Sports is as good as the middle-aged african american gentleman's, Nintendo will have a very good holiday.

Well, I'm going to drive by there in about an hour to see if anyone is out there. If not, then I'll run some other errands.

I'm fairly positive that there are going to be plenty of units at launch, but I want to go today just to get caught up in the geekiness of this all. Wish me luck!

May I get my preorder today, or many magazine racks shall perish! :D

NSider

Got my Wii pre-order ready from Amazon since September 15, with Zelda, Rayman, Red Steel and Monkey Ball. I'll add Excite Truck and Trauma Center plus 3 wiimotes and nunchucks as soon as they open their pre-orders.

Man, this has to be the best launch ever. Worldwide, with plentiful supplies, excellently varied software.. and Zelda.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Khalid-S said:
At 9 pm i was in the prudential center (boston) with my friends, i went to gamstop to see if there any campers waiting !! and look what i found

DSC00404.JPG

DSC00405.JPG

5 campers confirmed !! lol

Khalid-S

Don't go to the pru. Head over to cambridgeside galleria, much better place and the mall opens at 5am.

awwwe bostonians.

right now I don't feel like it is necessary to preorder. I did anyway at NWS, just cuz I don't want to be that one guy who doesn't get one if I'm wrong. if anything, I foresee specific locations running out, but not entire areas or anything in total. just like the DS lite, like a month after launch when the EBs and Walmarts had them in stock, a buddy of mine had to go to 3 stores before he found one at an EB. I predict a similar type of thing for the Wii

So yay I am the first official GAF to have a EB/Gamestop Wii preorder perhaps? Our store opens at 9am, and being an employee and there at 6am today, I am thus home and preordered. Had to start telling people we were full at 7am, and while I was leaving there were about 7 more people waiting at the end of the line that had just shown up. Lots of them assumed we would have something like 50 slots available, and a few knew exactly totals and asked "are you a 12 an 18 or a 36 store" and "did your 4 employees get thiers yet?". Also seems corporate isn't too happy that preorder date and launch allocations were revealed online before most stores even got word of it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I drove by a couple stores this morning on the way in. No lines yet.

Of course, while there were lines for the PS3 at that time just a few days ago, the temperature has dropped significantly since then.

Smiles and Cries said:
I have a feeling that tonight when we get more news I will regret not having a pre-order

IGN Wii has some goods tonight on a few Ubisoft games

Yeah I heard Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids are getting some big coverage from IGN. Hopefully it's positive. They are Ubi's two main launch titles.

leehom

Drove by a EB and GS on my way to get breakfast. No lines at all. Im a little disappointed considering how HYPED up the Wii is by certain web forums. I hope this isn't a bad sign for Nintendo.

In comparison, when I waited for the PS3, there was over 20+ people @ 8 am.

castle007

Banned

castle007

Banned
leehom said:
Drove by a EB and GS on my way to get breakfast. No lines at all. Im a little disappointed considering how HYPED up the Wii is by certain web forums. I hope this isn't a bad sign for Nintendo.

:lol

Jeff-DSA

I'm planning on heading out in 45 minutes (8:30 MST) to get in line. My co-worker already drove by the store and he said that there were a few guys out there and 2 or 3 had camped overnight.

leehom said:

Well, the PS3 is incredibly extremely ridiculously low supply, so obviously there will be a greater amount of panic and rush for pre-orders.

leehom said:

Maybe the fact that Wii isnt going to sell $1000+ on Ebay like PS3 had something to do with it :D

gamergirly said:
Maybe the fact that Wii isnt going to sell $1000+ on Ebay like PS3 had something to do with it :D
maybe :)

sounds like lines are overall comparable though. some say less, some say the same some say more.

Jetku

My store was sold out by 9:30 (they are supposed to open at 10)

They were a 36 store too..

i was utterly shocked

Bluecondor

The EB in Oakland/Pittsburgh is sold out.

They are really annoying too, because they won't tell you if they were a 12, 18 or 36 store - so you have no idea of whether or not they will get a second pre-order list going, and/or how many slots will likely be available.

Looks like I will be going on-line to find mine.....

Just got back, my store had eighteen I think (so 14 with 4 employees). Weird thing is that I was number one (after the employees) at ~8:35-8:45, but they were sold out at 9:30 so everyone came in a bunch. On a side note picked up the last copy of God Hand, they obviously aren't getting many copies of that.

EDIT: For reference I am number 8 on the PS3 list at the same store, got there around 9AM on Tuesday and they sold out the PS3 list of 16 right around 10.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
caught the pre-order bug..

made it to the gamespot at south street seaport in nyc and they were sold out..
last kid in line told me they sold out around 9:20 and had about 14 pre-orders

spengo

OMG I just got Nintend0wned. I am still in shock.

I got there at 10:00 and there were already 14 people there. ****ing 14....

And this is basically middle of nowheresville PA here. I walked in at 10:05 and got PS3 #3 on Tuesday.

There was even nerd controversy and everthing. They only got 8 and when a family of 3 bought the last 3 people went nuts. Some big lady was dropping F-bombs. :lol

I'm not sure how this happened. The employee at the door said they were all from a different address or something. I don't know, I guess it is Walmart at midnight for me. I don't really think it will be a problem.

Smiles and Cries said:
oh well let the fear begin
Yeah, even though I pre-ordered one for convenience, I still think it will be pretty doable to find one either launch day or soon after with some leg work, I'm just too lazy for that and would rather just go pick it up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
For me, there were about 15 at 10 AM, but that was strange considering the store is getting 36 units. There were pamphlets and things on the doors too, so this was somewhat advertised.

I was #10. It was, if you could believe, a Nintendo troll's dreamline. The first person in line was a mom. The next three guys were guys RIGHT out of Reggie's camp photo. Then the next few were moms and dads.

Behind that was a granny. She was obviously sent on a mission. She kept inquiring as to how to spell "Wii" and how to say it. Oh, loyal grannies.

damn now I feel like kicking myself for feeling lazy and too sleepy to go
too late I must live with the adventure of finding one at launch :)

keep the sold-out stories coming

dkeane

Got to my store at 8:45 and saw 9 people. I was surprized.
I was #10. They only had 13 spots plus whatever the employees were getting. They turned away about 8 people as it got closer to 10AM

But it's preordered. It feels good.

tgenius

At my store in Kendall,FL there were 14 Wiis and 3 people in line before me. By time I left they were down to 4 available preorders, but the phones had rung off the hook while the poor guy was processing the preorders. :)

Just got a report from another store in my area, they had 30, they locked the doors after they sold out, they'll reopen for games and accessories.

Insty

I was 10th in line out of a possible 15. Nintendo fans are a different breed of gamer... Definitely a different vibe vs. the PS3 preorder line. Still a good time.

Pellham

Banned
Wow there were like 20 people in line when I went to my local ebgames. In comparison there were only 11 people for the PS3.

studio810 said:
Got to my store at 8:45 and saw 9 people. I was surprized.
I was #10. They only had 13 spots plus whatever the employees were getting. They turned away about 8 people as it got closer to 10AM

But it's preordered. It feels good.

At 7:30 AM in my way to work, I purposely passed by a Gamestop and EB. First Gamestop had only 1 person in line for the PS3 at the same time and had close to 16 for the Wii. The EB I passed by had 3 folks for the Wii and 9 for the PS3.

Hard to pull anything out of it. The Wii had more notice beforehand, but is also going to be more plentiful and thus folks might assume they could more easily get one day 1. And there are likely to be much less scalpers out there.

I have to say I was shocked seeing 16 folks out there for the Wii, so I can definitely see them having a monster November. I wonder if they can take the top 2 hardware slots. I don't see the GBA getting that spot anymore.

1) DS
2) Wii
3) PS2
4) 360
5) PSP
6) GBA (But could easily go alot higher)
7) PS3
8) GCN
9) XBX

Top Bottom