• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL: Wii preorders start today (10/13)

K_S

Banned
adg1034 said:
Arne got his Wii? All the MS guys seem to be doing it- Arne, Che... Can't get enough of their Zelda gametapes, I suppose.

well how would it look if they broke away from ms pr strategy that wii60 is the way to go even tho the ceo of nintendo laughed at it?

no_to_co

tenchir said:
I am pretty sure most of southen california EB/GS are done with preorder. I called like almost 20 different stores this morning to ask if they are still doing preorders and was told that they are all gone. I lived in Glendale and go to work in Chatsworth so I figured I can preordered one at one of the stores on my way home.... NOPE.

Here's a partial list of location that I called for the Los Angeles County.

Glendale, Eagle Rock, Burbank, Alhambra, Monterey Park, Pasadena, Pomona, Northridge, Chatsworth, Rosemead, etc.....

Crap.... does anyone know what site will do preorder and when?

LA is the wost place to get anything at launch. Way too many gamers in this god forsaken place. I wonder how bad the lines will be at the Best Buy in Burbank for the Ps3 and Wii launch in November.

SantaC

So what's the take on the component cables? When I preordered yesterday they didn't have them. AV cables on Zelda FTL.

Dirtbag

Outside of a hurricane ****ing up my 360 pre-order last year (basically all New Orleans 360 pre-orders got moved to other states because most of our game stores lacked employees to open them)... New Orleans is got to be one of the easiest places for gamers to get games at launch, pre-launch (our walmart employees are IGNIT' and sell/stock shit the second it rolls in), and pretty much whenever they want as long as it's b4 the game hits a bargain bin (thats when games move off the shelves here).

Thats at least one nice perk of being a gamer in 'the city that care forgot' <my personal favorite nickname for N.O.

TheWolf

Banned
SantaC said:
So what's the take on the component cables? When I preordered yesterday they didn't have them. AV cables on Zelda FTL.

i was told they weren't in the system, and to check back next week...

Nykad

just went to my local eb games. The guy at the counter told me they had people camping out as early as 11pm yesterday. The line peaked at around 40 people and they only had 8 systems for non-employees. I'm in riverside and apparently all the shops around here are all sold out.

grats to the unemployed

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I wanna know what happened with the people who were turned away.

We had some pretty nasty people come. There was this one lady who swore up and down to the poor guy that she was told on the phone to come exactly at 10:00, not 9:00. She yelled and yelled and then walked away :lol

MrDaravon

charlequin said:
I like how this thread makes it abundantly clear (as if I didn't already know this) that GS/EB is a horrific business populated entirely by graft and illegitimacy.

To be somewhat fair, a lot of it is because employees there get dicked by the company. Wages are shit, managers are usually underpaid and over worked, they force you to push inane shit....I don't really blame them really.

Well my morning was a little less exciting than some of yours. I made it to our Gamestop to find they had 8 preorders so I stepped aside and let a friend have my place. Shortly thereafter the manager handed out 9 places in line, so some dude behind me was elated. There were like 20 people there, fussy crowd.

My girlfriend had equal luck, except she stood outside; not in a mall like me. She waited for 2.5 hours in 20-degree weather to find that her 16th place was two places short of a pre-order... poor girl. Hopefully her mom can dig one up someplace, or maybe I can score one off Amazon when they open their preorders back up. I feel bad for her mostly--not myself, due to the fact that this was like the first time she camped out and got nothing. Not to mention she left at 6 AM : ( My lazy ass slept in til 7.40

AniHawk

Zepking said:
Too lazy to read..

So how did you all do =]

Keep me informed, always fun to hear. =]

AniHawk said:
So I got there about 8:30. There were about 15 people in line. 6-8 had camped out.

When the ASM came in, there were 21 people in line. At 10:04 or so, we had all 36 taken up. People were calling like crazy, and there were quite a few that actually came into the store asking for a reservation when we had none left.

The breakdown was this:

1/2 Nintendo fanboys
1/4 Nintendo fanboy mothers
1/4 People who couldn't get a PS3. I was kinda surprised at how many people didn't know what was going to come out for it.

Around 5 minutes before opening
IMG_1677.jpg

10:00ish
IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

Also, coming in around 8:30 sorta sucked. Someone, somehow, brought up WOW:BC, and I found myself learning everything there is to know about EQII Necromancers in the span of about 45 minutes.

fugimax

Zep --

I didn't get one. There were 40 people in front of me when I got there a few hours before. :(

Now I have a PS3 and no Wii...didn't even want the damn PS3. :(

AniHawk

fugimax said:
Zep --

I didn't get one. There were 40 people in front of me when I got there a few hours before. :(

Now I have a PS3 and no Wii...didn't even want the damn PS3. :(

Well you can sell the PS3 and get $1500 to buy your Wii on Ebay, and still have $30 left for games.

ManaByte

AniHawk said:
Also, coming in around 8:30 sorta sucked. Someone, somehow, brought up WOW:BC, and I found myself learning everything there is to know about EQII Necromancers in the span of about 45 minutes.

huh?

dogbowl

I had a flight this morning at 9:00 .. so no preorder for me.

However, the EB district manager gave me a call today and said that over the next few weeks they would be "pruning" the pre-order list and the he would "do all he could" to get me on. Said that they were going to review the preorders from all the stores in the district to make sure that the same people / husband-wife teams weren't getting multiple systems.

So we shall see. I'd really like to get a pre-order and not have to do the midnight launch tango.

Vargas

AniHawk said:
Midnight launch for Wii and PS3.

And it's all Zepking's fault.

A midnight launch for the PS3? I understand that happening for the stores that got 16 but the stores that got only 8 pre-orders also? I don't really mind I just find it weird.

Kinda late, but I didnt go at all pre-ordered at Nintendo World already. I prevously pre-ordered Red Steel, only because I had pre-ordered a PS3 game to see if I would get a call to come in when they started pre-ordering. I didnt get the call but got to a PS3 pre-order anyway thanks the rumors going around for 2weeks about Ebgames pre-orders. I will be getting Excite Truck on launch day, and I will probably pre-order Elebits online for the Plush thingy.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
AniHawk said:
I wanna know what happened with the people who were turned away.

And I'm surprised at how many people showed up because they couldn't get a PS3.

There were a couple people that showed up just because they missed the PS3 as well. People that got turned away just kinda stood there in shock for a sec, but putting their head down and walking off. One guy ran down the escalator only to have me smile at him and say, they are all out. I think I destroyed his inner child today. I knew after what happened with the PS3, people would be there even eariler, and they were.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Outside of a hurricane ****ing up my 360 pre-order last year (basically all New Orleans 360 pre-orders got moved to other states because most of our game stores lacked employees to open them)... New Orleans is got to be one of the easiest places for gamers to get games at launch, pre-launch (our walmart employees are IGNIT' and sell/stock shit the second it rolls in), and pretty much whenever they want as long as it's b4 the game hits a bargain bin (thats when games move off the shelves here).

Thats at least one nice perk of being a gamer in 'the city that care forgot' <my personal favorite nickname for N.O.

Well, seems North Louisiana is gone now. Not a single preorder left within a 100 mile radius of where I live(which is only about 6 stores).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i did some spawn camping outside the local gamespot -- i'd printed up these FUD pamphlets the night before, and handed them out to people who were lining up for wii preorders. "the sensor bar only works in hermetic pitch blankness, wii uses leftover n64 chips, you'll have to buy a wii sp in six months, etc." if those didn't do the trick, i resorted to mockery. if mockery didn't do the trick, i resorted to sexual advances. there were only two people in line by morning, and i think one of them was gahiggidy.

mj1108

drohne said:
i did some spawn camping outside the local gamespot -- i'd printed up these FUD pamphlets the night before, and handed them out to people who were lining up for wii preorders. "the sensor bar only works in hermetic pitch blankness, wii uses leftover n64 chips, you'll have to buy a wii sp in six months, etc." if those didn't do the trick, i resorted to mockery. if mockery didn't do the trick, i resorted to sexual advances. there were only two people in line by morning, and i think one of them was gahiggidy.
:lol :lol :lol

Now THIS is the drohne I like.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Y2Kevbug11 said:

Behind that was a granny. She was obviously sent on a mission. She kept inquiring as to how to spell "Wii" and how to say it. Oh, loyal grannies.
Them Grannies are our new secret weapon!
rock.gif

Drohne! You're really back!

Anyway, a benefit of living in Singapore is that I can stroll into any gamestore three days after launch, say 'I'd like a Wii please, along with...." and get it all.

R-User!

I worked today, and I went on my lunch break at 10 am....... I didn't get one.

By the time I was off work at 3pm, every EB near me had sold out. (I called all of them...)

:(

But, I think that I should (*hopes*) be able to get one on Sun Nov 19th if I go to my local Circuit City/Target on my lunch break.......

.....my Wife MAY line up for me at our local Best Buy, and try to score a Wii, Zelda, Wiimote'n-Chuck, Excite Truck, and Trauma.

We'll see...... :|

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
wiipreorder_048.jpg

Anyone knows the Black guy in this photo? I think his name is Greg. I think He was my classmate when I went to college in Tokyo.

wow. small world.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Man, wearing a Zelda shirt to a Wii pre-order event is like wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see.

It's just not done.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
xsarien said:
Man, wearing a Zelda shirt to a Wii pre-order event is like wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see.

It's just not done.
What!? All the Rush concerts I've been to had easily 3 out of 10 people wearing Rush tour-shirts.

AniHawk

NomarTyme said:
Hey AniHawk, how many people are pre-ordering Red Steel at your store?

I dunno. I know there were a lot of reservations for it today, though. It's the #1 title behind Zelda.

I think Excite TRUCK is behind Red Steel.

When the hell did Sonic get pushed back to March??

It's always been Spring 2007. Sonic and his Shitty Friends is the one that comes out in November 2006.

its odd.. I'm hearing more lineups for Wii then PS3 all over the place.. Funny how nintendo fans are like this!

However, the EB district manager gave me a call today and said that over the next few weeks they would be "pruning" the pre-order list and the he would "do all he could" to get me on. Said that they were going to review the preorders from all the stores in the district to make sure that the same people / husband-wife teams weren't getting multiple systems.

Yea many DM's I believe have already started this

AniHawk

Zepking said:
its odd.. I'm hearing more lineups for Wii then PS3 all over the place.. Funny how nintendo fans are like this!

Yea many DM's I believe have already started this

That's good. It's probably far, far more likely on the PS3 side though.

We had a scalper try to cancel all 20 games to reserve just the system.

darkbanjo

Damn, I thought the Wii would not sell in the UK. I preorder one this morning, number 47? What the ****? I don't live in a particularly big town, and there's at least two gaming shops near.

Bollocks. It's going to be the 360 all over again.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Well, I had to work yesterday, but it turns out all preorders were gone by 10:15, anyway. I don't work the weekend of Nov. 19th, though, so it looks like I'll be camping inside of Wal-Mart.

Is Gamestop stop out of preorders for good, then? Or might there be some more available in the future?

Top Bottom