• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cheesemeister said:
No word yet. It's probably held up by the lack of Expansion Pak support.
Nah, my bet is they are still trying to work out the glitches. That game was pretty buggy on the GCN.

Jiggy

Agent Unknown said:
Why so much confidence we could see SSB 64 by month's end?
It's Somnid. He's perpetually confident that we'll get something or other within the timeframe of a month.

Somnid said:
Nintendo has 2 first party titles released this month, with a high likelyhood of seeing Super Smash Bros at the end of the month. Given this trend, I'd predict another first-party title on Monday.
On one hand, I'm suspicious that Nintendo will release multiple internal games in the same month (while we just had two consecutive weeks of such releases, Zoda's Revenge hit in December & KDL3 hit in January). Nintendo had only two multiple release months in 2007. Tracking internal Nintendo titles released over time:

Nov. 05: 9, Dec. 05: 4
Jan. 06: 4, Feb. 06: 6, March 06: 1, April 06: 2, May 06: 1, June 06: 3
July 06: 6, Aug. 06: 4, Sept. 06: 4, Oct. 06: 2, Nov. 06: 4, Dec. 06: 2
Jan. 07: 3, Feb. 07: 1, March 07: 1, April 07: 1, May 07: 1, June 07: 0
July 07: 1, Aug. 07: 0, Sept. 07: 2, Oct 07: 1, Nov. 07: 0, Dec. 07: 1

On the other hand, one of the months in 2007 that featured multiple games (StarTropics, 1080 Snowboarding, and The Adventures of Lolo 2) was January. So, another Nintendo title seems plausible. Given the rate of release throughout 2007 though, I find it highly unlikely that January will be a cornucopia of Nintendo software you seem to believe it will be. In fact, I'm expecting Clayfighter this Monday (aren't we due for another Interplay title?). :lol

sfog said:
It is confirmed for Japan for this month, and the US has typically gotten any N64 VC games within 1-2 weeks of them, and sometimes slightly earlier.
The only exception so far has been F-Zero X, which hit about a month after the Japanese release. I kind of think NoA may delay SSB to March in order to commerate Brawl's release a la Capndrake's post.

TJ Spyke said:
Europe still hasn't gotten Mario Golf for some odd reason, I think they have gotten every other N64 game about the same time as North America and Japan.
PAL Land had to wait about a month for Star Fox 64, but the wait for Mario Golf is pretty much unprecedented for a Nintendo 64 game. Hopefully it's one of the releases with PAL Land's next VC update.

Jiggy said:
It's Somnid. He's perpetually confident that we'll get something or other within the timeframe of a month.
Ouch. That's my line, Jiggy. :p

HUELEN10

So, only about 5 more hours till we know what the USA will get! Maybe it will be Smash Bros?

Anywho, we will know damn soon, so stay tuned! Banner will also be updated accordingly.

I hope for Mario' Super Picross every week, but I doubt it.

Somnid

Jiggy said:

Nah, like other have shown it can be correlated to other N64 releases. Very few have fallen out of that trend, probably because they work on all versions of N64 games at the same time. They also like to hit around the end or beginning weeks of most months.

I concede Hudson's imports, which got spaced out, and then support dried up all together. It was uncharacteristic, and who was to say Wiiware would have had such a huge impact on the VC? Can't say I'm definately right here as the same issue may definately come up but it's more likely than not. If it were an NES/SNES I wouldn't give it much thought.

Jiggy

Today will bring Super Smash Bros. and Castlevania III and M.U.S.H.A., satisfying fans of basically everything.

I'll settle for any one of the three as long as there are two VC games. :(

Somnid said:
Nah, like other have shown it can be correlated to other N64 releases. Very few have fallen out of that trend, probably because they work on all versions of N64 games at the same time. They also like to hit around the end or beginning weeks of most months.

I concede Hudson's imports, which got spaced out, and then support dried up all together. It was uncharacteristic, and who was to say Wiiware would have had such a huge impact on the VC? Can't say I'm definately right here as the same issue may definately come up but it's more likely than not. If it were an NES/SNES I wouldn't give it much thought.
Well, sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong--wasn't saying you've got a worse record than anybody else at predictions, but you really have been pretty amazingly consistent with calling a specific timeframe of one month. :p That's the amusing thing.

Somnid

Jiggy said:
Well, sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong--wasn't saying you've got a worse record than anybody else at predictions, but you really have been pretty amazingly consistent with calling a specific timeframe of one month. :p That's the amusing thing.

I like to predict which games will release in a specific month rather than when any specific game will release. I don't even think NOA can do the latter.

Also, I suppose if StarTopics 2 was December and KDL3 was this month then Smash could go next month to keep things spaced out. One would think CV3 and Clayfighter are close as well. But I'm not expecting more than 1 game with things the way they are.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good week considering CV3, but I'm not liking this one VC game a week trend.

HUELEN10

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 12, 2009

What's your weapon of choice? Is it a laser gun? Or maybe just a simple deck of cards? No matter what type of game gets you fired up, the latest additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel are sure to add something new and exciting to your arsenal. With fast-flying cards, tumbling pachinko balls and sinister vampires in your midst, you'll need every tool at your disposal.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Jungle Speed® (Playful Entertainment Inc., 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Jungle Speed is a lightning-fast card game for the entire family, where quick reflexes and a keen eye will put you on top. Flip your cards, watch your opponents and grab the totem at the right moment to win the game. Just when you think you've got it down, a new card can temporarily change the rules and keep you on the edge. Play starts when the first person flips a card. Moving around the table, symbols are revealed until two of the exposed cards match. Players with matching cards must then scramble to grasp the totem in the middle of the table; the loser gets the winner's cards and anything in the pot. With paws flying, be the first person to get rid of all your cards and win the game.

Planet Pachinko (Allied Kingdoms Inc., 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): Can you survive the Pachinkeet Temples of Planet Pachinko? In the future of the future, an ancient civilization has sealed away its riches in elaborate temples dedicated to the game of pachinko. Now the Robot family must fight through these dangerous temples in search of their lost puppy. Using their rockets, lasers, grenades and slime launchers, will they be able to survive the challenges? They aren't the only ones adventuring through the temples. The pirate Vile Vill and his minions are looking to loot the temples and take on the Robot family. Play in single-player mode or with a friend in exciting two-player co-op.

Virtual Console™

Castlevania® III: Dracula's Curse (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): This is the third game in the popular Castlevania series and the last of the franchise released on the original NES console. Take on the role of Trevor Belmont, forefather of Simon, and battle Dracula in a time long before the events of the first two Castlevania games. In addition to his trusty whip, Trevor has a previously unseen power—the ability to transform into one of three different companion spirits that he meets during his quest: Syfa, a young vampire hunter capable of powerful magic; Grant, a ferocious pirate who can climb on walls; and Alucard, forgotten son of Dracula, able to shoot fireballs and transform into a bat. Use an assortment of weapons (some specific to each character) as you choose which path to follow in your fight against Dracula and his army. Loaded with replay value and featuring some of the best platform action ever, this title is not to be missed.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.
Banner update coming in a couple hours.

tim1138

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 12, 2009

What's your weapon of choice? Is it a laser gun? Or maybe just a simple deck of cards? No matter what type of game gets you fired up, the latest additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel are sure to add something new and exciting to your arsenal. With fast-flying cards, tumbling pachinko balls and sinister vampires in your midst, you'll need every tool at your disposal.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Jungle Speed® (Playful Entertainment Inc., 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Jungle Speed is a lightning-fast card game for the entire family, where quick reflexes and a keen eye will put you on top. Flip your cards, watch your opponents and grab the totem at the right moment to win the game. Just when you think you've got it down, a new card can temporarily change the rules and keep you on the edge. Play starts when the first person flips a card. Moving around the table, symbols are revealed until two of the exposed cards match. Players with matching cards must then scramble to grasp the totem in the middle of the table; the loser gets the winner's cards and anything in the pot. With paws flying, be the first person to get rid of all your cards and win the game.

Planet Pachinko (Allied Kingdoms Inc., 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): Can you survive the Pachinkeet Temples of Planet Pachinko? In the future of the future, an ancient civilization has sealed away its riches in elaborate temples dedicated to the game of pachinko. Now the Robot family must fight through these dangerous temples in search of their lost puppy. Using their rockets, lasers, grenades and slime launchers, will they be able to survive the challenges? They aren't the only ones adventuring through the temples. The pirate Vile Vill and his minions are looking to loot the temples and take on the Robot family. Play in single-player mode or with a friend in exciting two-player co-op.

Virtual Console™

Castlevania® III: Dracula's Curse (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): This is the third game in the popular Castlevania series and the last of the franchise released on the original NES console. Take on the role of Trevor Belmont, forefather of Simon, and battle Dracula in a time long before the events of the first two Castlevania games. In addition to his trusty whip, Trevor has a previously unseen power—the ability to transform into one of three different companion spirits that he meets during his quest: Syfa, a young vampire hunter capable of powerful magic; Grant, a ferocious pirate who can climb on walls; and Alucard, forgotten son of Dracula, able to shoot fireballs and transform into a bat. Use an assortment of weapons (some specific to each character) as you choose which path to follow in your fight against Dracula and his army. Loaded with replay value and featuring some of the best platform action ever, this title is not to be missed.

Since the release of Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium, each week has had a quality virtual console game! Even though it's only one game per week, I'm happy it's one quality title per week. With that said, I've no intention at all to buy Castlevania III:lol

I'm guessing Dracula's Curse will have the lower quality American sound right? It'd be nice if they made the Japanese version available for import for those who want the higher quality sound.

andymcc

Banned
jarrod said:
Dracula's Curse >>>> Rondo of Blood

seriously

i'd say they're on about the same level, but i believe these two games represent the absolute best CV titles.

EphemeralDream said:
I'm guessing Dracula's Curse will have the lower quality American sound right? It'd be nice if they made the Japanese version available for import for those who want the higher quality sound.

i'd say it's safe to assume as much. the japanese soundtrack sounds so much better too...

Come on Wonderboy in Monsterland!

Oh, nevermind. :(

At least CV3 should stop some bitching. :p

Wonderboy 2 and Smash Brothers next week kay Nintendo?

Thanks!

andymcc

Banned
nincompoop said:
Rondo of Blood >>>>> SC4 >>>>>>>>>>>> Bloodlines >>>>>> CV3 > CV1 >>> CV2.

if you like the broken spinning whip, dracula's gaudy treasury, giant mode-7 chandeliers, i guess i can understand why you'd like sc4.

nincompoop said:
Konami doesn't need Hudson to release it, I don't think. VCR even asked Hudson about it once & Hudson told them to ask Konami.

Based on info floating out there on how the process works (and one can't be entirely sure what's accurate and what is not), Konami would have to give Hudson permission to release the game on the VC. However, Hudson would then have to prep the game and submit it to Nintendo. So, both party's cooperation would be needed for the game to hit the VC.

Castlevania 3 - excellent, if nail-bitingly hard, title. I'm still miffed that we've been reduced to one VC title per week, but I agree with Mockingbord that the overall quality of releases over the past month have been pretty high.

Capndrake

Konami owns Hudson, so if they want to release Rondo of Blood as import I don't think it would be that much of an issue. Other TG games aren't gonna happen though.

jarrod

Banned
Hudson already has access to Konami's Turbo games (and imports) obviously as they released Gradius II. I still think the PSP remake might be what holding Rondo of Blood back specifically.

Capndrake

jarrod said:
Hudson already has access to Konami's Turbo games (and imports) obviously as they released Gradius II. I still think the PSP remake might be what holding Rondo of Blood back specifically.
It's already available in Japan though.

Guess this is the best place to ask: I'm assuming VC Castlevania 3 is a direct port of the US version, and not the slightly better Famicom version, correct?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Original Post for week of Jan. 5 through Jan. 11

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday in North America. They go up every Tuesday in Japan. They go up every Friday in Europe.

Japan

This week's JP WiiWare games (released Jan. 6)

None. =(

This week's JP Virtual Console games (released Jan. 6)

Detective Saburō Jingūji: A Dangerous Duo (Part 1+2) (Famicom, WorkJam, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points)

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Mega Drive, Sega, 1 player, 600 Nintendo Points)
(no screenshots available)

Rastan Saga 2 (PC System, Taito, 1 player, 600 Nintendo Points)
(no screenshots available)

This week's JP DSiWare games (released Jan. 6)

None. =(

North America

This week's NA WiiWare games (released Jan. 5)

Sandy Beach (Konami, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone — Comic Mischief, 500 Nintendo Points, 296 Blocks)
Enjoy a fun day at Sandy Beach as you build elaborate sand castles. You can work peacefully on your sand castle or enter into a battle with invading crabs in Crab Battle mode. Players will strategically build their sand castle and use cannons to defend it against an army of destructive crabs. After successfully defending your sand castle, discover beach treasures and additional cannons with your metal detector to customize your castle even more.

This week's NA Virtual Console game (released Jan. 5)

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES, Nintendo, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Nintendo Points, 48 Blocks)
Kirby, Dream Land's resident hero (and everyone's favorite puffball), must once again save the day when the mischievous King Dedede starts causing trouble. Kirby must travel through an assortment of levels, battling an exotic array of enemies (both new and familiar) determined to stop him from completing his mission. Always armed with his trusty ability to swallow enemies and gain special attacks, Kirby can also unite with some of his animal friends and make use of their particular talents. Featuring detailed graphics, challenging boss battles and the distinct charm of a Kirby game, it's no wonder this title is considered a classic.

Europe

This week's EU WiiWare games (released Jan. 9)

None. =(

This week's EU Virtual Console games (released Jan. 9)

Enduro Racer (Master System, Sega, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 17 Blocks)
Based on the popular SEGA arcade game and redesigned for the SEGA Master System, Enduro Racer takes you on an intense set of adrenaline-designed courses containing diverse and rough terrain that will test your skills and reaction time. Ride as fast as you can to pass as many cars and bikes as possible while also avoiding obstacles and pitfalls such as debris on the road. Take jumps off ramps and try to keep your speed up, but make sure to keep an eye on your bike so it doesn’t blow up in your face. Are you ready for the challenge?

Donkey Kong 3 (NES, Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 13 Blocks)
Based on the third game in the enormously popular arcade series, Donkey Kong 3 introduces an exterminator named Stanley as he desperately tries to protect the flowers in his greenhouse from Donkey Kong. Armed only with a can of bug spray, Stanley must force Donkey Kong higher and higher into the greenhouse rafters until Donkey Kong is off the screen and the next stage is reached. Not surprisingly, Donkey Kong isn’t going to move without a fight, so he sends wave after wave of bugs, bees and other creatures toward Stanley. Not only must Stanley repel the insects in order to save the flowers, but he’ll also have to keep an eye out for projectiles thrown by Donkey Kong himself. If Stanley is good enough, he’ll be able to grab a can of more powerful bug spray and really get Donkey Kong moving. It all adds up to frantic fun that anyone can enjoy.

Links to Related Threads

For a more exhaustive look at the entire WiiWare library, including recommended titles to purchase and to avoid, check out PantherLotus' WiiWare Discussion thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247865

If you're looking for the old thread for Virtual Console and, to a smaller extent, WiiWare discussion, check out Kobun Heat's thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129709
He... he wants you to complain about how shitty VC is. So do that there.

To see the OP from Dec. 22 — 28, click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14175114&postcount=158

To see the OP from Dec. 29 — Jan. 4, click here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14175114&postcount=231

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Capndrake said:
Konami owns Hudson, so if they want to release Rondo of Blood as import I don't think it would be that much of an issue. Other TG games aren't gonna happen though.

what do you mean by other TG games? Other imports?

DNF

thx for the effort danthrax.
the link for "To see the OP from Dec. 29 — Jan. 4" shows "Dec 22 - Dec 28" i believe.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, only one game, but at least it's Dracula's Curse.

The only thing that I really don't like about Castlevania III is the stiff jumping that plagues the entire NES trilogy. However, there are so many other cool features; the branching paths, the varying playable characters (especially Grant DaNasty, who doesn't control like a tank), and the great music, that I can almost overlook the controls. Brutally difficult game, though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
DNF said:
thx for the effort danthrax.
the link for "To see the OP from Dec. 29 — Jan. 4" shows "Dec 22 - Dec 28" i believe.

You were right, thanks for catching that. Really weird little mixup, but it should be fixed now.

OP is ready to go with Japanese and North American releases.

[edit] aaaand there are now thumbnails that link to larger versions of the Japanese WiiWare game screenshots. you're all very welcome =P

Ranger X

OMG the best old school Castlevania is uploaded!!

Can someone tell me if I get the Japan version sound?? I will buy it if it's the better version that is uploaded in America.

Hobbun

Didn't Taito go out of business? I thought I had read someone had bought them.

If that is the case, who did so and do you think any of their games will reach the VC? I would really love to see both Lufia games as they were published by Taito in NA.

Ranger X

Hobbun said:

If that is the case, who did so and do you think any of their games will reach the VC? I would really love to see both Lufia games as they were published by Taito in NA.

Taito released their arcade compilations a couple of years ago. I doubt they are out of business or at least there's a publisher owning their stuff.

TJ Spyke

Hobbun said:

They were bought by Square Enix in 2005.

Several of their games are already on the VC: The Legend of Kage (NES), Elevator Action (NES), Bubble Bobble (NES), Operation Wolf (NES), Space Invaders: The Original Game (SNES), Chase H.Q. (TG16).

Hobbun

TJ Spyke said:
They were bought by Square Enix in 2005.

Several of their games are already on the VC: The Legend of Kage (NES), Elevator Action (NES), Bubble Bobble (NES), Operation Wolf (NES), Space Invaders: The Original Game (SNES), Chase H.Q. (TG16).

Ah yes, that's right. I had thought they were bought by someone. But SE still releases games under the Taito name? I did not realize Taito had released several games already on the VC, thanks. That at least gives some hope for Lufia 1 and 2.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom