• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

Oh dear, looks like I'm going to have to agree with the others in this thread. Now that I'm on 85 stars in, I've seen the quality drop a notch on this GOTY :(

If they'd replaced all those purple collectathons with stingray races, mario-ball stages and other stuff that was actually fun, this would have been game of the motherfucking decade, but it'll just have to be GOTY instead.

Those purple coin levels would have been bearable if the coins didn't reset upon your death. But after 10/15 mins of laborious collecting, falling to your doom with only the final coin to find and having to start from fucking scratch is VERY tiresome, especially if you've already died 3 times on the same stage on the same jump.

Eteric Rice

marvelharvey said:
Oh dear, looks like I'm going to have to agree with the others in this thread. Now that I'm on 85 stars in, I've seen the quality drop a notch on this GOTY :(

If they'd replaced all those purple collectathons with stingray races, mario-ball stages and other stuff that was actually fun, this would have been game of the motherfucking decade, but it'll just have to be GOTY instead.

Those purple coin levels would have been bearable if the coins didn't reset upon your death. But after 10/15 mins of laborious collecting, falling to your doom with only the final coin to find and having to start from fucking scratch is VERY tiresome, especially if you've already died 3 times on the same stage on the same jump.

Oh shit...

Bebpo said:
Alright, finished the game. Total time was ~14-15 hours.
stars, finished the main paths of every level in game. All that's left are the hidden stars and the gimmicky re-runs through them for
comet
mode.

The game is really fantastic all around. What's nice is that Nintendo basically looked at Sunshine, looked at TP, looked at WW, and realized what brings the games down is the filler/tedious sections. So they sucked all that out and just left room after room of pure gameplay for 15-20 hours with no bullshit, and I approve highly of that. The level design is A++++ and full of creativity, and the challenge is good. It's easier than 64 & Sunshine, but it's not ridiculously easy or anything. It's just right for difficulty. Harder than SMB DS I think.

The graphics look better than most PS3/X360 games on my TV, but that's probably because I have a CRT. I'd imagine it looks kinda bad if you have an LCD HDTV. The animation in the game is amazing. I had thought nothing could top Ratchet PS3 in the animation department, but I think the animation here might be even better. Some enemies look incredible. Overall the visuals are a generational upgrade from Sunshine. Galaxy is the first Wii game that doesn't look like it could be done on GC. Can't wait to see a ground-up Wii Zelda.

Music is awesome.

Control is mainly great. Sometimes when you are upside-down or sideways, it can be awkward doing certain actions, and coupled with a camera that isn't always your friend it can make things a bit tougher than they should be occasionally. Underwater is not that good unfortunately (camera/controls) and all the underwater sections in the game are ridiculously easy to make up for that.

Story presentation is nice.

My only complaint besides occasional camera problems and underwater controls are that some of the galaxies in the last two worlds are re-hashes of older levels and some of the levels just aren't that great, especially compared to the level of awesome that the earlier levels have. It's not bad enough to say the game falls apart in the last 20%, but it definitely loses that magic touch during a handful of galaxies. Also there is some filler/tedious stuff if you want 120 stars. I think to be fully satisfied, I would have wanted either better worlds for the last 2 (outside the
toy galaxy, which was awesome
) or I would have wanted 1-2 more galaxies. Otherwise it feels a little short with the focus on replay challenges to make up for lack of levels.

I'd give it a 9.5/10 because of the various issues, but it's still my GoTY because when it's at its best, which is at least half the game, it's incredible.

Wow. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
marvelharvey said:

Purple coins?

cvxfreak

I'm taking my sweet time playing the game. Getting 2-3 stars a day is a great pace to approach the game and keeps the magic for that much longer.

I let one of my dorm mates play a few levels too. Watching someone play is almost as enjoyable as playing it yourself. :)

SantaC said:
okay so I got 60 stars right now, so I thought about writing a mini review.

Graphics:

The graphics are for the most part terrific showing what the Wii can really do. However, there are moments when you think the textures come from a dreamcast game. I don't really care about that, but there are some inconsistency. 90% of the time however, the graphics is amazing for being Wii.

Music:

The music is amazing! Seriously, this is the best Nintendo OST in many many years. The hubworld music is so beautiful! Some tunes from SMB3 is also back, which is a joy to listen to of course.

Controls:

What can you say?! This is the best use of the wiimote so far. The controls are 100%. I would refuse to go back and play 3D Mario on a N64 pad or even GC pad right now.

Gameplay:

The gameplay is seriously amazing. It's fun, and it is good old mario fun. There are plenty of bosses, secret worlds, clever use of the wiimote, powerups, ice skating, racing etc, yeah you name it! It makes Sunshine play like Superman 64. It's very likely that this is the most fun you will have with a game this year.

Lastability:

The game is so fun that you will sadly complete this game in 2-3 days. The game is maybe a bit on the short side afterall. Maybe even shorter than Mario Sunshine. At first, you are overwhelmed by all the galaxies, but they're often small. Sometimes I wish it had bigger areas. Finding all stars will take a good while though, so it's not like you will shelf this game very fast.

Another small compliant is that while the camera is pretty amazing, it can get a bit troublesome sometimes, but not very often.

I would give this game a 9.9/10 (on the IGN scale)

Gravity is your friend!

Great review all around. I like your conclusion. :lol

ant1532

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Last stage is amazing.

Amazing music.
Amazing level.
Amazing boss.
I was just going to ask about this. How is it compared to 64 and Sunshine's last levels? More difficult? Also, I know Mario is nothing about the story but how is it compared to Sunshine? Is there more cutscenes? Less? Are they better this time around and not corny and dumb?

Mario 64's last level is one of the most epic and incredible last levels in gaming history.

Mario Sunshine's last level was one of the lamest and uninspired levels ever. Poorly designed and incredibly disappointing with that horrible last boss.

Galaxy's is either in between or ahead of Mario 64. Nothnig is worse than Sunshine's last level.

Draft

marvelharvey said:

That is the way it's supposed to be. No quicksaves motherfucker this is MARIO.

ant1532

Banned
BrandNew said:
Mario 64's last level is one of the most epic and incredible last levels in gaming history.

Mario Sunshine's last level was one of the lamest and uninspired levels ever. Poorly designed and incredibly disappointing with that horrible last boss.

Galaxy's is either in between or ahead of Mario 64. Nothnig is worse than Sunshine's last level.
I hated that fucking boat shit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Edag Plata said:
Here's a good one for you...

Was the MUSIC for the last battle as epic (or more) than Mario 64's 3rd Bowser battle music? That's the key!

I'm not even going to answer this question.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Posting this you already answered him. So, we can say that this is the best OST from Nintendo and Kondo since years ?

I don't think Kondo did all the music himself. Only a couple of tracks and then he just oversaw things from there. Am I wrong about that?

Edag Plata said:
I don't think Kondo did all the music himself. Only a couple of tracks and then he just oversaw things from there. Am I wrong about that?

Can someone confirm this ? I'm sure Kondo composed some songs of this game, but I don't know how many. Good observation.

Eyedol

Edag Plata said:

You're right.

4 songs by Kondo, the others are from Yokota :D

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Can someone confirm this ? I'm sure Kondo composed some songs of this game, but I don't know how many. Good observation.

I think it was in that roundtable with Iwata and friends...the one where they talk about the music to the game. Hold on, let me find it...

EDIT: Nevermind, they got it for you.

Still a spectacular score though, even without Kondo, huh?

ksamedi

12 days to go here in Europe although the stores usually get big games 3 days earlier so I'm hoping its 9 days. Can't wait.

Tenbatsu

marvelharvey said:

I actually enjoy
collecting purple coins, quite challenging, am almost done collecting them all and reaching 120 stars. Did you unlock the extra stingyray and monkey ball stages?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is great news ! Because it means that it is not too easy. And this is not so obvious for a recent Mario game.
Who ever play Galaxy MUST collect all the 120 stars, its only then you will know the overall difficulty of the game. Just completing it without collecting everything ain't seen nothing yet.

Jme

Hey US GAF, if you are planning on getting this during launch week, you'll probably want to get it from Toys R Us.

(Image taken from CAG)
5zct55l.jpg

The fine print says 1 per customer, and you must buy it no later than 11/17, no rainchecks.

disco

this game is going to ruin my chances of getting into a good university. :( hopefully it'll be like twilight princess - completed in 3 days, never looked at again. oh god, i think i'm actually going to have to unplug the wii and ask my parents to hide it. this is going to be so painful. i have so many deadlines. 12 pages of cw, 150 pages of analysis for tomorrow, thankyou metroid prime 3 for wasting my whole half term. :(:(:(:(

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Question regarding the megaton spoiler.

When you unlock Luigi, do you get him in your CURRENT save file? Can you just retread levels you've already beaten with him? Or do you have the option of starting a brand new save file with him? I'd much prefer the latter, as I'd want to progress through the game normally with him, unlocking things and making actual progress, rather than just replaying already-beaten things.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
marvelharvey said:

Isnt all that OPTIONAL? Therefore, its a moot point. Jesus.

I already have Super Mario Galaxy paid off in full at Gamestopw with store credit... but I could get an extra $25 if I buy it with cash at toysrus... hm... I don't know what to do. >_>

Bebpo

Banned
Slurpy said:
Isnt all that OPTIONAL? Therefore, its a moot point. Jesus.

So since getting all the stars is optional, any degrade in quality for non-required stars shouldn't count? @_@

Eteric Rice

bigmakstudios said:
I already have Super Mario Galaxy paid off in full at Gamestopw with store credit... but I could get an extra $25 if I buy it with cash at toysrus... hm... I don't know what to do. >_>

I'm going to try like hell to get it at Toys R Us.

Wonder what I should buy with the $25...

Bebpo said:
So since getting all the stars is optional, any degrade in quality for non-required stars shouldn't count? @_@

That's not a degrade in quality, though. That's HARDCORE BITCH. :D

Top Bottom