• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

Raw64life

Don't know if this was mentioned already, and I refuse to navigate dozens of spoiler filled pages just to see if this info has already been posted.

Since my brother was going into the city today, I paid him to go to the Nintendo World Store and reserve the game. Apparently they told him that there will in fact be a launch party Sunday night and they'll start selling the game at midnight. I'm so going to this.

later

They're using another stupid wii would like to play advertisement for this.. (in the cinema??..) (see it at IGN). Why can't they do something original? Its getting old.

later said:
They're using another stupid wii would like to play advertisement for this.. (in the cinema??..) (see it at IGN). Why can't they do something original? Its getting old.

The "Wii would like to play" ads are not original?

Bebpo said:
There's a lot of filler once you get past 60-80 stars if you're going for 120. Basically
Each level has 3 unique paths, and then 2 of 3 re-uses (comet challenge, purple comet challenge, find luigi) and a hidden shine or 3 straight re-uses.

There's only 6 worlds + 6 side bonus stages + house between world 5-6 and I guess maybe 1-3 challenge stages (I haven't got all the green ones and unlocked them yet).
Fair enough. I figured there was more than just
luigi and comet. So it's just the purple comet challenge then.
I can live with that since I've been trying to complete all the galaxies as soon as possible anyway. This game is a dream for a completionist like myself.

BTW, how do the high scores for each level work out? Amount of coins + stars? Does something show up when you get one?

later said:

I had a similar reaction but look at it this way, those ads were part of an advertising campaign that saw the product being demonstrated become a phenomenon. It makes sense for them to retain this ad format for subsequent game releases.

Jetku

After beating the game,
is Luigi playable in that file, or can you create a new save file and start from the beginning as him?

thanks

Father_Brain said:
IGN has the first US TV spot.

Not bad, but not that great. At least you know what it is about. Sometimes, I watch spots that are so shitty that I don't understand what is the commercalised product or company.

A mistake: they should have included the main theme of the game, like the japanese commercials. It hypes a lot more.

Innotech

Banned
all this talk of
purple coin stages and having to start over
pretty much harkens back to NES games that were hard as shit because you had to start over. Games should not always be easy and this is something Im actually happy about. Especially since you guys still say this game is somewhat easy otherwise.

NeonZ

Bebpo said:
So since getting all the stars is optional, any degrade in quality for non-required stars shouldn't count? @_@

How long is the game before getting to the extra/revisit stars? It is short?

does anyone know if this game will actually be in stores on the 12th?

the place i preordered from is now saying the 13th and i am about to go and cancel if so.

also hopefully the advertising will get better next year after the old staff is purged.

Penguin

Raw64life said:
Don't know if this was mentioned already, and I refuse to navigate dozens of spoiler filled pages just to see if this info has already been posted.

Since my brother was going into the city today, I paid him to go to the Nintendo World Store and reserve the game. Apparently they told him that there will in fact be a launch party Sunday night and they'll start selling the game at midnight. I'm so going to this.

That's pretty cook, don't know if want to stay out till Midnight to get mario.

RagnarokX

I think the wii would like to play ads will help draw casuals; my beef with this ad is that they didn't show any good close-ups of Mario, making it a little hard to make out that this is a Mario game.

mepaco

I don't mind the 'we would like to play' ads because I understand what they are trying to do, but why not do what many other companies do (especially with things like movies) and create two versions of the ad. One could be this thing with mom and her kid and the other could be ... well ... cool, more like the latest PS3 ad or some of the Mario Galaxy ads they play in Japan. You play the casual ad during the day and other appropriate shows (e.g. Grey's Anatomy) and you play the cool ad during things like football and on Spike. As a young male gamer, the 'we would like to play' ads do nothing for me but my wife likes them.

Amir0x said:
i think it remains to be seen if it's the advertising campaign that is causing even part of Wii's success.
God the worst was a few months ago when I was picking up EDF2017 at GameStop I overheard a husband and wife in their 40's at least in front me in line repeat "Wii would like to play". I wanted to slap myself in the forehead.

Amir0x

Banned
Illuminati said:
God the worst was a few months ago when I was picking up EDF2017 at GameStop I overheard a husband and wife in their 40's at least in front me in line repeat "Wii would like to play". I wanted to slap myself in the forehead.

they were Nintendo representatives. no worry

Johnas

Illuminati said:

2hhhnrp.jpg

(close enough) :p

I tried it out for the first time today, I find it kind of hard to describe missions as the area was sort of non-descript aside from this one black hole.

Amir0x said:
i think it remains to be seen if it's the advertising campaign that is causing even part of Wii's success.

Yeah, I don't think so. A big part comes from the positive press of newpapers and in general the very good reputation of the console, outside within partly of hardcore's gamers and partly of the hardcore's press.

I usually like those Wii would like to play ads but I don't like this one for Mario. Ahhhhhh.

The Amazon one was better, especially at demonstrating the grzvity aspect.

Grecco

Its been almost a year since they started the Wii would like to play series.

End it. ITs due.

When it starts to have an adverse effect on sales

It already has FFS check out how Prime 3 sold

Illuminati said:
Nah, at Chili's I overheard some women at the bar planning a Wii Strip party. Would have been awesome until I turned around to see that they were butch lezzies rocking the mullets. =(

So what do you guys have to get through this week before SMG? Tomorrow I have an exam in philosophy, and on wednesday I have a paper due in my history class...then on the 13th I have another exam in political science...

Bebpo

Banned
Innotech said:
all this talk of
purple coin stages and having to start over
pretty much harkens back to NES games that were hard as shit because you had to start over. Games should not always be easy and this is something Im actually happy about. Especially since you guys still say this game is somewhat easy otherwise.

The NES levels weren't 15-20 mins long and collectathons...

The game is fantastic regardless, but the last
stars are pretty much that stuff that no one liked in Sunshine.

Tristam

layzie1989 said:
So what do you guys have to get through this week before SMG? Tomorrow I have an exam in philosophy, and on wednesday I have a paper due in my history class...then on the 13th I have another exam in political science...

Who cares about this week. I'm much more worried about all the shit I have to do immediately following Super Mario Galaxy's release. I mean, it's not really a big deal that I'm forced to begin the game three or four days after everyone else, but it would be nice to be able to play it immediately when I pick it up. I have a physics exam though.

Grecco

layzie1989 said:

COD4 and Zdub

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Roi said:

What a piece of shit commercial. Do we need that template for EVERY FUCKING GAME? Jesus. They hardly showed any gameplay, and had that shit music again. That commercial ripped all personality out of the game. Why the fuck cant they just copy and paste the damn japanese commercials? I'm sorry, but it irritates me that they have to do such a shitty job advertising the game. Whats wrong with using some of that awesome game music? Its impossible to get any wonder/excitement/anticipation from that commercial, especially for people who have yet to hear about the game. Who decides this? They should all be fired. If I had anything to do with the game Id be bludgeoning myself with a stick after watching that. It makes it look like a damn minigame. But maybe thats what NOA WANTS people to think.

Slurpy said:
What a piece of shit commercial. Do we need that template for EVERY FUCKING GAME? Jesus. They hardly showed any gameplay, and had that shit music again. That commercial ripped all personality out of the game. Why the fuck cant they just copy and paste the damn japanese commercials? I'm sorry, but it irritates me that they have to do such a shitty job advertising the game. Whats wrong with using some of that awesome game music? Its impossible to get any wonder/excitement/anticipation from that commercial, especially for people who have yet to hear about the game. Who decides this? They should all be fired. If I had anything to do with the game Id be bludgeoning myself with a stick after watching that. It makes it look like a damn minigame. But maybe thats what NOA WANTS people to think.

I'm shocked you expected better from them

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Slurpy said:

:lol

Games: serious business

Top Bottom