• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Games Coming 10/24 & Xbox One X Enhanced 360 Games

gossi

But you can use the discs for 360 BC on Xbox One, so why couldn't it be the same for OG Xbox?

(I'm just trying to understand why this isn't an option as most of my favorite games have zero chance of being officially released as BC, but I'd gladly rebuy the discs on Ebay).

You use the disc to validate purchase, but the data isn't used. You download the full game package from Microsoft, who repackage it for Xbox One. That needs legal cover, e.g. permission to redistribute it. Backwards Compatibility is not emulation.

Solo Act

You use the disc to validate purchase, but the data isn't used. You download the full game package from Microsoft, who repackage it for Xbox One. That needs legal cover, e.g. permission to redistribute it.

Bummer... but okay. So there's no chance of MS being able to implement a 100% BC solution similar to what PS2 had for PS1 games? I would love for the Xbox One X to be the singular box that plays every Xbox, 360, and One game ever made.

Bummer... but okay. So there's no chance of MS being able to implement a 100% BC solution similar to what PS2 had for PS1 games? I would love for the Xbox One X to be the singular box that plays every Xbox, 360, and One game ever made.

Ps2 managed ps1 games by having the internals of a ps1 in it.
So it wasn't emulation.

Same with Nintendo and their gameboy to gba to ds to 3ds

(hope that makes sense)

RdN

I'm kind of sad that I sold all my OG Xbox games (except Halo 1 and 2, of course).

Ninja Gaiden looks siiiick.

Diabolical

Neo Member

No chance this ever happens. They chose not to go for natively implemented BC within their actual hardware design, which would've guaranteed what you're talking about.

If i buy Ninja Gaiden Black right now digitally will it play on my Xbox One? What are the odds we will get the Silent Hill games? I really want to play 4 again.

iFirez

Probably in arround 6 hours. Usual time 360 bc games drop.
And that’s as what... 3 hours ago? I hope it’s only another 3. I want to start my random choice playthrough stream tonight (I was going to do it on the OG Xbox but held off seeing this announcement yesterday)

gossi

And that’s as what... 3 hours ago? I hope it’s only another 3. I want to start my random choice playthrough stream tonight (I was going to do it on the OG Xbox but held off seeing this announcement yesterday)

No, BC titles drop 5PM UK time. Which isn’t yet.

Raide

I wonder if some OG Xbox games will appear on Games with Gold stuff? Would be another good layer of value to the subscription.

Be interesting to hear back about how good the emulation is for NGB. Can't think of a game that would be more sensitive to input lag or any other quirks.

Would love to see Serious Sam get compatibility. Xbox og still has the best Serious Sam version.

Portman

Looking forward to playing some of these. For the first time on some and to replay again for others. I dug out my copy of Black last night to be sure I still had it. Funny that a friend and I were just discussing that game a few weeks ago and how we wanted to play it again.

Hopefully they will be able to keep adding more games to the list over time. Be a neat way to get to play stuff we missed out on or overlooked back then.

Looking forward to playing some of these. For the first time on some and to replay again for others. I dug out my copy of Black last night to be sure I still had it. Funny that a friend and I were just discussing that game a few weeks ago and how we wanted to play it again.

Hopefully they will be able to keep adding more games to the list over time. Be a neat way to get to play stuff we missed out on or overlooked back then.

Black was a fantastic game.

Morrowind would be another great one. Couldn't get into it on PC.

But you can use the discs for 360 BC on Xbox One, so why couldn't it be the same for OG Xbox?

(I'm just trying to understand why this isn't an option as most of my favorite games have zero chance of being officially released as BC, but I'd gladly rebuy the discs on Ebay).

360 games are also redownloaded.

You can use physical OG Xbox or Xbox 360 games on the One, it just uses the physical discs to "authenticate" the license the same way XBO discs do.

Everything gets installed/downloaded either way.

Zero chance of native off-disc emulation, this is a much better solution as the game is recompiled natively.

I would have been so happy for KOTOR a few years ago, but since the PC version has been given such a fantastic upgrade I'm not sure if playing it in its vanilla state will feel a bit like a step backwards. Looking forward to diving back into Oblivion in 4k though. And Halo3 4k, yes please.

Bsigg12

Hmm.. How is a 6TF console not powerful enough to emulate a 6gflop console? That's x1000.

It sounds like it's entirely license related. Microsoft technically has to publish every game that goes in BC whether it's a 360 or OG Xbox game.

toneroni

Might eventually get a One X - there are about 5 exclusives I've wanted to play. Last MS box was the OG 360 which hasn't been turned on in years. But I LOVE BC even though I usually don't ever find the time to play them since there are so many new games out these days.

I would have been so happy for KOTOR a few years ago, but since the PC version has been given such a fantastic upgrade I'm not sure if playing it in its vanilla state will feel a bit like a step backwards.

Does the PC version have native controller support as good as the Xbox version?

Amory

Nice I've actually been looking to go back and play some games from the xbox/ ps2 era.

I'm in for KOTOR at least, maybe psychonauts too since I never played it.

Lom1lo

I hope they gonna give more details on how they move forward with the 360 enhanced stuff. I would love to see more 360 games getting this.
Also give me SSX 3 and lotr return of the king please

I hope they gonna give more details on how they move forward with the 360 enhanced stuff. I would love to see more 360 games getting this.
Also give me SSX 3 and lotr return of the king please

Would love to get those two games but I think licensing may be an issue.

I wish they would have uploaded a 4K comparison of Halo 3. Seen IGN's video yesterday of it, was thoroughly surprised to finally see some BC titles getting a resolution bump.

Hawk269

Some obscure games I would love to be added to the list of OG BC Titles:

Azurik
Sudeki

Those two would be great!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wait, they announced this, and specifically Crimson Skies, at E3 with big excitement.

But it turns out it doesn't online multiplayer?

That's fine for some games but the online multiplayer is the main reason people wanted Crimson Skies at all.

MauroNL

I have the original Ninja Gaiden disk (not Black), would be devastating if it didn't work :(
Yeah this. Black is so hard to come by yet I have the original twice for some reason. Guess I'll try it in Game Pass instead if it don't work. Or just buy it for $10.

so quick question..i have the original ninja gaiden..never played sigma. i heard that sigma was censored? (maybe not the first but the second). is this how sigma works? or can anyone confirm that this game has all the dismemberment and blood from the original?

Hexer06

Ninja Gaiden Black still isn't showing up to install. I have Digital version. Has anyone else's shown up yet? Also, I can't seem to buy any of the games from the Store right now. Wonder if they're starting to upload them to the Xbox Store and maybe that's why.

Wait, they announced this, and specifically Crimson Skies, at E3 with big excitement.

But it turns out it doesn't online multiplayer?

That's fine for some games but the online multiplayer is the main reason people wanted Crimson Skies at all.

Maybe they will add it later.

I will def replay the game for the single player for now. I remember having a fun single player experience.

Top Bottom