• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The problem with that is that the shadow flicker is ONLY on the bandages, which is impossible, when the lips stick out like that, and there is no change in the eye reflection.

Well the colour white does reflect more light, and the light seems to be coming from below. I suspect it's the iPad.

Wallach

The problem with that is that the shadow flicker is ONLY on the bandages, which is impossible, when the lips stick out like that, and there is no change in the eye reflection.

The eyes should not have a reflection, the source is way too low and angled to hit the eyes directly. The light is also very clearly hitting the entire side of his face, but should not appear both the same against his face and the bandages because light does not scatter off cloth the same way it does skin.

There's nothing even a little strange about that image (other than his ridiculous attempt at acting).

Gui_PT

http://www.abload.de/img/joakimflashzczdh.gif

• ambient light reflection on the right is likely caused by portable light reflector often used in these kind of interviews.

• flesh sticking together in the left corner of mouth as he opens it

• self shadowing on teeth? Don't think so

• various ambient coloured hues on bandages as the head moves

• skin imperfections and contortions that are rarely seen in even the highest quality tech demos -- see: recent Nvidia demo. Pay attention to protrusion of larynx / subglottis as he speaks.

• skin discolouration caused by differing blood flow at the anterior border of the eyelid, and around the medial angle of the eye. Very rarely accurately textured for in CG.

This really only looks odd because his eyes are pulled by the bandages and its a very dark set.

TEAM REAL.

Entire team CG camp is bonkers.

Team CG be SCURRD

the heretics are closing in!!! Where is team cg?? come on vote!!!

LET'S GOOOOO....

ilqyZFttEKJNH.gif

...can't vote...

Team CG

My head tells me it is real, but it would be a far more interesting and impressive rouse if it was actually rendered with the engine. The complexity of Mogrem's response has me sceptical however.

As far as everything goes, this thread is "mission accomplished" for Kojima, generated lots of hype and discussion on what seems to be the exact topic he'll be covering at GDC: photorealism using the Fox engine. Kojima is cool.

It's probably not what he wanted to accomplish at all. He'd welcome the hype i guess.
Unless now people are hyped for reallife graphics :p.. then his engine will only disappoint.

Team CG

My head tells me it is real, but it would be a far more interesting and impressive rouse if it was actually rendered with the engine. The complexity of Mogrem's response has me sceptical however.

That's not the question. Nobody would mind CG a this level.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I voted CG. I have no basis, and it's probably real, but I just have this gut feeling that it's probably an awesome CG ploy.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The lip animation is too asymetrical to be CG. #TeamReal

...but maybe they're extra asymmetrical because they're overcompensating for the fact that it's CG... #TeamCG?????

Atomski

I find this whole thing weird when the game itself dosnt look that good at all.. why would a face all a sudden look 100 times better then the actual game.

joakimflashzczdh.gif

• ambient light reflection on the right is likely caused by portable light reflector often used in these kind of interviews.

• flesh sticking together in the left corner of mouth as he opens it

• self shadowing on teeth? Don't think so

• various ambient coloured hues on bandages as the head moves

• skin imperfections and contortions that are rarely seen in even the highest quality tech demos -- see: recent Nvidia demo. Pay attention to protrusion of larynx / subglottis as he speaks.

• skin discolouration caused by differing blood flow at the anterior border of the eyelid, and around the medial angle of the eye. Very rarely accurately textured for in CG.

This really only looks odd because his eyes are pulled by the bandages and its a very dark set.

TEAM REAL.

Entire team CG camp is bonkers.

Oh please. You think just because you toss around words like "medial angle" and "anterior border" you are some kind of expert? You may have received an A in geometry my friend, but you won't fool TeamCG.

jk great observations #TeamReal

Stillmatic

Reasons It could be real:
- Everything looks real.
- There aren't the usual telltale signs of something being CG.
- Nothing I've currently seen in terms of real-time (and offline) character animation and rendering comes close to this level of realism.
- Everything looks real.

Reasons It could be CG:
- Movements of shoulders, head and facial features move quite oddly at times.
- Lighting choice seems deliberately odd, plus the flickers at the end.
- Possible teeth clipping.
- Geoff and Joakim are not seen together at all.
- Kojima's numerous tweets since the interview about wax figures and wanting to achieve similar photo-realism with the FOX Engine.
- Kojima's GDC presentation is on photo-realsim.
- Kojima is god
- #TeamCG

QiBRRhl.png

Persona86

Banned
The eyes should not have a reflection, the source is way too low and angled to hit the eyes directly. The light is also very clearly hitting the entire side of his face, but should not appear both the same against his face and the bandages because light does not scatter off cloth the same way it does skin.

There's nothing even a little strange about that image (other than his ridiculous attempt at acting).

The right side of the lips should at least get a little darker if there was a light source, which it does not. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reasons It could be real:
- Everything looks real.
- There aren't the usual telltale signs of something being CG.
- Nothing I've currently seen in terms of real-time (and offline) character animation and rendering comes close to this level of realism.
- Everything looks real.

Reasons It could be CG:
- Movements of shoulders, head and facial features move quite oddly at times.
- Lighting choice seems deliberately odd, plus the flickers at the end.
- Possible teeth clipping.
- Geoff and Joakim are not seen together at all.
- Kojima's numerous tweets since the interview about wax figures and wanting to achieve similar photo-realism with the FOX Engine.
- Kojima's GDC presentation is on photo-realsim.
- Kojima is god
- #TeamCG´
31QwmH4.png

Fixed.

Wallach

The right side of the lips should at least get a little darker if there was a light source, which it does not. :)

Yeah it does. You can see it better against the corner of his lips. It's very hard to see, which is exactly what it should be since in that setting it's not a particularly bright source and it is hitting flesh.

That poll will reflect on GAF as a whole. Just so you people understand that you might drag GAF with you when you crawl in your grave of shame.

All the devs you ever criticised, every time you acted like an elite, all the Pachter insults, even Denis Dyack will have a field day with this.

Think. And then think about your children (born or soon to be born in the not so distant future). Are you the dad/ mother they can rely on or will they get laughed at in school because of this?

;P

I deliberately decided against having a joke/halfassed third option, this way only the most determined people will bother voting! (and risk getting shamed next week!)

i might have missed it, but what team did you choose?

Persona86

Banned
Yeah it does. You can see it better against the corner of his lips. It's very hard to see, which is exactly what it should be since in that setting it's not a particularly bright source and it is hitting flesh.

Sorry I meant it should get lighter if there was a light source.

Top Bottom