• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
cyHls3L.gif

this would be where MormaPope drops the mic.
If you're not convinced after crossing into uncanny valley via that image, you're completely jade..and that's a good thing, impressive showing of fox engine.

He's just acting really weird. He's not even a good actor, just acting weird. Video of a weird bandaged guy could give that "uncanny valley" feeling.

If we're at the point where Kojima Studios can make real quality CG for a throwaway interview we've really come a long way.

Dr.Acula

Banned
They should have just released a poster that said,

"Hideo Kojima is going to make you his bitch. Suck it down,"

and be done with it.

Much simpler.

Just throwing this random thought out there.

What if some of the shots are CG and some are a real actor, just to throw us off?

Dammit!

This is the only remotely plausible explanation that would still include CG. There are some shots long enough that there is absolutely no way it is not a real human being. Some other shots are very, very brief with the actor moving a bit oddly or "artificially". Which could certainly just be the performance but they might have been able to slip in a highly detailed CG shot.

I would completely dismiss the entire idea of their being any CG at all if not for the fact that this is very.. Kojima.. and the studio pretty explicitly striving to get photorealistic faces in that Edge article.

StuBurns

Banned
He's just acting really weird. He's not even a good actor, just acting weird. Video of a weird bandaged guy could give that "uncanny valley" feeling.

If we're at the point where Kojima Studios can make real quality CG for a throwaway interview we've really come a long way.
Studios make tech demos for internal use all the time. And his face is covered. It's not like the Quantic Dream PS4 thing or anything.

CREMSteve

I'm loving this whole Phantom Pain mystery as much as the next guy, but I can't for a minute believe anyone thinks that guy was CG.

lol

it's not like they've been working on anything else

...other than GZ

Oh man. Nothing like waking up in the morning to find you've sparked 20 pages of discussion.

I believe the idea that this may have been a hybrid of Fox Engine model and a real actor. Again, it fits with how they've been selling us on the engine so far.

I'm loving this whole Phantom Pain mystery as much as the next guy, but I can't for a minute believe anyone thinks that guy was CG.

lol

lanoire_mmhmmmmht.gif

add some polys, lighting, texture tricks,

then wrap it all in bandages

dont care if Joakim is CG or not... just love passing the time

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Alright guys, feel free to quote me for the crow-eating when it's revealed to be CG. ONLY if it's full CG though, not a mix of live action. I just watched in 720p, it's just some guy.

R1CHO

lanoire_mmhmmmmht.gif

add some polys, lighting, texture tricks,

then wrap it all in bandages

dont care if Joakim is CG or not... just love passing the time

This is my opinion.

I don't know if the video is real or cg. But i think we can expect floating heads with bandages to look that good in the next gen.

LA Noire has the tecno for facial capture, but lacked the render quality because the hardware was weak, and they didn't really push in that aspect.

But the technologies are here... or almost here. We even have seen it on games this years, tesselation, subsurface scattering even that weird ass hair from Tomb Raider.

This could be all that together. Or just Kojima trolling hard.

This fucker is from 2007 for example, a demo running on 8800 ultra. Now, your toaster can run it.

And we have advanced a lot since this.

Oh man. Nothing like waking up in the morning to find you've sparked 20 pages of discussion.

I believe the idea that this may have been a hybrid of Fox Engine model and a real actor. Again, it fits with how they've been selling us on the engine so far.

The question also is, if its NOT that, why they hell are they doing it this way? With the guy's face covered EXACTLY like the guy in the trailer? With the big "reveal" about the Fox Engine? It's set up so perfectly to be exactly what we think it is. If its not CGI, its really, really weird. I mean its still really weird if its CGI.

Is the Fox Engine thing supposed to be a "!" because that "gives away" that this is really Hideo's next game? That's dumb.

Rapstah

So are you Swedish or Norwegian since you are this skilled at discerning name origins? Serious question, I'm Swedish and Mogren really sounds Swedish.

Name origins don't mean anything, his accent is what is being discussed. Of course the fakers at Konami would pick a real name, that's way easier than actually finding a guy.

Leezard

I guess you're from Värmland if you think that sounds swedish and not norwegian...

I am not. Googling Mogren gives the top 3 hits being Swedes, as well. It might be a bit because of me being in Sweden, though.

Name origins don't mean anything, his accent is what is being discussed. Of course the fakers at Konami would pick a real name, that's way easier than actually finding a guy.

Oh, yeah, I was speaking about the name, not his accent. His accent is typically Norwegian, yes.

The question also is, if its NOT that, why they hell are they doing it this way? With the guy's face covered EXACTLY like the guy in the trailer? With the big "reveal" about the Fox Engine? It's set up so perfectly to be exactly what we think it is. If its not CGI, its really, really weird. I mean its still really weird if its CGI.

Is the Fox Engine thing supposed to be a "!" because that "gives away" that this is really Hideo's next game? That's dumb.

Isn't that their whole "game" they are playing with us?

"This is totally not MGS guys! Neverrr, what are you talking about.."
"But then what is that FOX Engine logo doing there?"
" :O ! Oops! Busted!"

synce

No way the guy isn't real. We're just not there yet. Some people read way too much into Kojima's teasers

Isn't that their whole "game" they are playing with us?

"This is totally not MGS guys! Neverrr, what are you talking about.."
"But then what is that FOX Engine logo doing there?"
" :O ! Oops! Busted!"

So basically we're assuming this is a PR stunt that is much, much more awesome and creative than what we actually are seeing, which is pretty lame.

If Quantic Dream can make this on PS3, I wouldn't be surprised if Joakim is CG.

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

Globox_82

Banned
If mogren is CG, than why those Fox engine screens look like current gen?

I believe he is a CG IF it is running of MONSTER GPU on a PC. Never on PS4. Sorry.

Waaghals

I think his accent is indistinct, could be either or. Possibly it's just someone doing a good job emulating a Swedish/Norwegian accent, but mixing the two languages up.

EDIT: Seing more of the interview I'm changing my mind. He definitely sounds Norwegian. Why they haven't gone for a Swede I don't know. If you are going to go through the trouble of finding a speaker of a relatively marginal language, you might as well do it right. In this case they have seemingly found a speaker of an even more marginal language.

So basically we're assuming this is a PR stunt that is much, much more awesome and creative than what we actually are seeing, which is pretty lame.

Let's pretend this is real...

then Kojima's speech at GDC about the Fox Engine will have that much more weight to it.

granted if it is real he is using alot of smoke and mirrors....
bandages... anticipating PP footage instead of wrinkles on Joakim's face

It was good enough to fool us into thinking its real despite detective and/or delusional Gaf

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Has anyone checked out the hands when he shows Geff the new screenshots on his ipad? It might throw more light on this theory. He moves the images up three times and the animation for all three is EXACTLY the same.

Top Bottom