• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma cop shoots and kills family dog during birthday party

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

An Oklahoma boy's fifth birthday party celebration was ruined after a Wynnewood police officer shot and killed his beloved family dog with an assault rifle.

"There's something wrong with Opie," Eli Malone cried out to his mother as he and his fellow party guests watched from a window as his dog lay bleeding on the ground, gasping for air.

"We had just brought the kids in to give them cake and ice cream," a distraught Vickie Malone told the Daily News. "We weren't even in the house five minutes and then bang!"

The family went out to the yard to find their 3-year-old American Bulldog, Pit Bull mix, Opie, clinging to life and a reportedly remorseless officer on the other side of the fully-fenced property.

"Ma'am I just had to shoot your dog," an officer, identified by family members as Josh Franklin, reportedly told Malone's daughter Crystal.

"He walks slowly out to his car gets an AR-15 and points it at the dog and pulls the trigger," Youngblood said. "He fires another round and it ended my dog's life. He lowered his head and drove off."

Franklin reportedly explained to the family that the dog had tried to attack him through the fence. At the time of the incident, he offered no other reason for the shooting, the family said.

Wynnewood Police Chief Ken Moore told FOX 25 that Franklin said "the dog lunged at him" and was "vicious and attacked him by coming around the corner of the house." Franklin also said he tried to kick the dog off him once before he shot him.

The Malones don't find Franklin's story credible. They believe there was no way the dog could have escaped his fenced, gated enclosure.

The officer's reason for being on the Malone's property has also perplexed the family. They are still waiting for a coherent explanation for his visit and an apology from the Wynnewood police.

"He said that he was looking for Shon McNiel," Vickie Malone said. "I said 'There's no one here named Shon McNiel. Who the hell is Shon McNiel?'"

Wynnewood Police Chief Ken Moore said that the officer was serving a warrant which gave him the legal authority to be on private property. The warrant for Shon McNiel was from a 10-year-old case that listed the Malone's house as the suspect's last known address.

According to the Malones, Franklin never announced he had a warrant. They also believe that Franklin, who had visited the house the family has rented in the small, rural Oklahoma town for the past year, was well aware the Malones were the property's current occupants.

"Officer Franklin had been to the house twice before," Youngblood, 23, said. "Opie was chained on the front porch. They knew Opie was here, too."

The children also witnessed as the "blank faced" Franklin who heard "every one of these kids screaming and crying" put the dying dog out of his misery.

Dogs are like family. Having a random stranger (police or not) just come by and gun them down is ridiculous and insanity. I would be devastated.

Zukuu

Banned
That's execution style commando. Wtf. It was on THEIR property behind a FENCE. Police can do whatever they want in the US, can't they? Get a badge and you have a licence to go loco kill "protect" and "serve".

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That's execution style commando. Wtf. It was on THEIR property behind a FENCE. Police can do whatever they want in the US, can't they? Get a badge and you have a licence to go loco kill "protect" and "serve".

That is what blows my mind. The cop wasn't in danger (I don't buy his story) and just decides to kill the damn dog for whatever reason. All a cop has to do is claim their life was in danger and it is a free pass to kill anything and anyone.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Well this is awful. What's there to talk about?

Yeah, in all honesty there's no discussion to be had here. Just another in a long, long, long line of stories about 'Murican cops doing awful shit.

That is what blows my mind. The cop wasn't in danger (I don't buy his story) and just decides to kill the damn dog for whatever reason. All a cop has to do is claim their life was in danger and it is a free pass to kill anything and anyone.

This is so true it hurts.

strafer

opiewtflook.gif

daegan

What the actual fuck. I'm so terrified that someday a cop will just decide to come to my house for some bullshit reason like this and will end up killing my dog, who fucking loves everyone and would want to greet him and he'd probably take the dog running towards him as aggression

(and yes we've tried to train him to not and he's gotten better but when you come up in a dog's place they're going to be interested in you at the least)

Dryk

I think you're all reading it with the wrong inflection. It was "Ma'am, I just had to shoot your dog".

If you're scared of a dog behind a fence to the point that you would murder it you're a fucking pussy ass bitch and should just shoot yourself to get it over with.

Jesus fucking Christ this makes me livid.

Fucking cops these days. A bunch of fucking pussies. If you don't want to scratch up that skin of yours, maybe you should be looking for other lines of work.

joe2187

Banned
I have this fear anytime Im walking my dog, or I have my dog around when a cop is nearby. I've had police come to my house many times and they always have their hand on their holsters when they see my dog. It's like a natural reflex.

Whenever Im around my dog and there are police around. I make sure he's out of sight, Because I know without a doubt they will most definitely shoot him without the slightest provocation.

mkenyon

Banned
If a cop did that to my dog, I would be unable to restrain myself and likely get shot as well trying to kill the piece of shit.

Both my dogs run and bark at anyone that comes up to our house.

Friggz

i would honestly consider that cop a lunatic with a gun and fear for my life in a way that self defense would be necessary. he seems so deranged that i have no idea if id be the next target.

If a cop did that to my dog, I would be unable to restrain myself and likely get shot as well trying to kill the piece of shit.

yep. doesn't matter if it was a cop or a priest or anyone, it would be very difficult for me not to try to get violent against them for it

I have this fear anytime Im walking my dog, or I have my dog around when a cop is nearby. I've had police come to my house many times and they always have their hand on their holsters when they see my dog. It's like a natural reflex.

Whenever Im around my dog and there are police around. I make sure he's out of sight, Because I know without a doubt they will most definitely shoot him without the slightest provocation.

Yeah it's a fucking nightmare scenario for me. My girlfriend's house got broken into late in 2014 and her dog scared away the burglar. Guy ran out of the house and left the door open, and the cops showed up to investigate after the neighbors called. When I found out that the cops were there before my girlfriend, my stomach sank because I thought there was no way they let the dog live. She was PISSED when they showed up but the cops were great, they kept their distance but didn't give her any danger signals and she let them search the house.

Hearing these stories set me the fuck off, scared ass cops shouldn't be given a damn job if they can't handle being around an agitated dog.

Zubz

Banned
That's awful... I'm sure Officer Franklin's going to get off of this scott-free, but he deserves to have the book thrown at him. I know people feel uncomfortable around pit bulls, but I don't care. He shot a family dog at a kid's birthday, because he didn't follow procedure. What an awful human being.

Both my dogs run and bark at anyone that comes up to our house.

Man, I had the exact same thought. I'm one of the calmest people out there, never really get angry about things. But, had this been me, I'd be dead or in prison at the end of the story, which is a frightening thought.

mkenyon

Banned
Man, I had the exact same thought. I'm one of the calmest people out there, never really get angry about things. But, had this been me, I'd be dead or in prison at the end of the story, which is a frightening thought.
I've only been in two fights in my life. Both times was a cyclist trying to run over my dog.

I get that crazy protective instinct, pure rage takes over. I'm otherwise known for being super calm and impossible to offend.

The fact that the man had no remorse for taking the life of a family dog who people cared about is the real disgusting part. How? How could you not care? Even if the dog attacked you, would you not feel regret at what you had to do? At the weight of the responsibility and consequences from the family? That man doesn't deserve the badge, he clearly doesn't have the mental fortitude for it. Cops need some damn empathy. Empathy is the line where men become monsters.

This is why other groups need to get behind things like Black Lives Matter, thinking it doesn't affect them when infact it does because it trickles down into other things. Historically when you help Black folks in this country, it helps everybody. Police reform and holding police accountable for their actions won't happen until then.

Krowley

Based on the report, sounds like this cop just had a boner for killing things. Saw a dog, and had a chance to use his gun, couldn't pass it up.

Next time he gets an itch to murder something, it might be a person. Fucking psycho.

I would also very likely be dead or in jail if it happened to one of my pets.

Fucking piece of shit. I can only imagine how traumatised those kids will be watching their pet get blown away by an out of control officer.

I know the cop will take no responsibility for his actions, but is it wrong for me to hope the station does something in good faith like buying that family a new dog to go along with a heartfelt apology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom