• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma cop shoots and kills family dog during birthday party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dice..you're saying too much to a brother who's been harassed by police almost all his life and had his laces tied together because "niggers run fast." I ain't stifling shit..

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
These types of people love becoming officers and we don't do anything about it. We protect them when they fuck up. Keep protesting police.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dice..you're saying too much to a brother who's been harassed by police almost all his life and had his laces tied together because "niggers run fast." I ain't stifling shit..
Alright then. Seemed like you had an issue more than just an implied misattribution of how the glass got in the other cop's food, but don't take it very personally as my little rant was also somewhat in the direction of GreekWolf with his concern and I wanted to vent a bit thinking about this guy with cold blood just casually walking to his car to get a fucking rifle to kill a dog in front of a kid.

I have a feeling that I hope is wrong and I'm not just talking about this post specifically.

I feel like we get stronger reactions when an animal is killed by a cop than when a black man is.

Any innocent being's life is worth more than an innocent dog's life. However, it's going to be a lot less cut and dried when a member of an armed society is killed in a police entanglement rather than a family dog. You read a couple sentences of this story and you're already completely baffled at why this officer did this. This is not necessarily true for all black people being killed stories...

(...although it is true an unfortunately large number of time.)

DigtialT

We as Americans will just have to accept that there is a glorified mafia on a payroll running the streets and to avoid them at all costs.

America cops are the worst. Either American cops are the most incompetent or the biggest cowards because they will shoot anything because they were in danger.

Dice

We as Americans will just have to accept that there is a glorified mafia on a payroll running the streets and to avoid them at all costs.
I actually wouldn't be so sure this wasn't some kind of mafia-style warning. Ever been to little Oklahoma towns? I drove through the state a couple months ago and it gets very, very rural. More than Illinois. I googled this town and it's only a mile across, doesn't even have 3000 people. People have to know each other there.

What the actual fuck. I'm so terrified that someday a cop will just decide to come to my house for some bullshit reason like this and will end up killing my dog, who fucking loves everyone and would want to greet him and he'd probably take the dog running towards him as aggression

(and yes we've tried to train him to not and he's gotten better but when you come up in a dog's place they're going to be interested in you at the least)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U_1_DAL7mY

vikki

Surely a ten year old warrant can't be used to enter a property, right? Clearly the property has changed ownership in the past 10'years, a warrant to search the property must be void or expired at that point, right?

I get that it's an arrest warrant, but the man hasn't resided there for a long time. Perhaps some records will show that this Shon McNeil hadn't lived there in 10 years, so searching the property would be out of the question?

Monocle

Evil.

It seems that nothing will spark a public outcry loud enough to change anything. At least not until an officer accidentally tazes Oprah during a routine strip search or something.

Dice

Surely a ten year old warrant can't be used to enter a property, right? Clearly the property has changed ownership in the past 10'years, a warrant to search the property must be void or expired at that point, right?

I get that it's an arrest warrant, but the man hasn't resided there for a long time. Perhaps some records will show that this Shon McNeil hadn't lived there in 10 years, so searching the property would be out of the question?
It has a population of 2200. Everyone there knows goddamn well that whoever the fuck that was isn't there anymore. This is shady as fuck if you ask me. The written laws are just going to allow the police to protect themselves so someone should call the justice department to probe this town.

Condom

This is why other groups need to get behind things like Black Lives Matter, thinking it doesn't affect them when infact it does because it trickles down into other things. Historically when you help Black folks in this country, it helps everybody. Police reform and holding police accountable for their actions won't happen until then.
'We know you don't care about black people but it affect your dogs too!'

I can't take it seriously when the police force is complaining about anti police sentiments in society when things like these or even worse happen on a regular basis without officers beeing held accountable ever.

If you don't want people to hate you, you need to call out cops who fuck up and you need to demand that they will be brought to justice, but right now the police is having the bad cops backs and therefore I think its only normal that many people will have a negative opion of police in the US as a whole.

Damn. If true that his actions were unprovoked would have probably just tackled him and arrested him where he stood. Sounds utterly awful.

Then again most Aussie cops wouldn't shoot a dog or carry an assault rifle, so... Yeah. I need to stop reading American threads. Your country is so unrelatable to me.

I can't take it seriously when the police force is complaining about anti police sentiments in society when things like these or even worse happen on a regular basis without officers beeing held accountable ever.

If you don't want people to hate you, you need to call out cops who fuck up and you need to demand that they will be brought to justice, but right now the police is having the bad cops backs and therefore I think its only normal that many people will have a negative opion of police in the US as a whole.

I agree absolutely.

I grew up with cop neighbors and I respected them greatly and I still have some degree of respect for cops in general because I know it's not some super fun job with great benefits but god fucking damn it is a sad situation what's going on in this country rn. Denying people's reasons for being angry is only going to make it worse.

AxelFoley

Evil.

It seems that nothing will spark a public outcry loud enough to change anything. At least not until an officer accidentally tazes Oprah during a routine strip search or something.

Nope, Oprah, for all her money, is still black.

Taylor Swift, on the other hand, is America's Sweetheart (unless Kanye is able to finally bring her down). If cops fucked with her, then that'll be the last straw.

MrS

Banned
Eyewitness accounts say they heard the cop mutter "get fucked, pooch" under his breath after delivering the final AR-15 shot.

Boney

Banned
Ten year old case gets a warrant from a guy that knows that it's new owners and let's himself in uninvited?

Fuck him. Is there no police cam?

I was on a walk last week and dog started barking at me at a house where I'm used to a dog barking as a walk past it. I turned around and saw the dog, a bulldog mix I believe (40 pounds maybe), was actually outside the fence. It was running at me. I started walking faster in the direction I was going and it kept following, barking and snapping. I had a small umbrella with me because it was raining when I started walking. I used it, closed, to keep something between me and the dog. The dog was snapping at the umbrella as I moved further away from its house. As soon as I was far enough away the dog gave up and went back to where it came from. This literally was a 10 second incident at most.

I know this could have been way worse, but I think the dog was just very protective of its owner and home and as soon as I was clearly heading away from it, the dog gave up. I was certainly shaken up, but never did it cross my mind to hurt the dog.

Mascot

All these recent police stories are like the ones we used to hear coming from behind the Iron Curtain in the 1980s.

mackattk

I was on a walk last week and dog started barking at me at a house where I'm used to a dog barking as a walk past it. I turned around and saw the dog, a bulldog mix I believe (40 pounds maybe), was actually outside the fence. It was running at me. I started walking faster in the direction I was going and it kept following, barking and snapping. I had a small umbrella with me because it was raining when I started walking. I used it, closed, to keep something between me and the dog. The dog was snapping at the umbrella as I moved further away from its house. As soon as I was far enough away the dog gave up and went back to where it came from. This literally was a 10 second incident at most.

I know this could have been way worse, but I think the dog was just very protective of its owner and home and as soon as I was clearly heading away from it, the dog gave up. I was certainly shaken up, but never did it cross my mind to hurt the dog.

At least something like that would be considered justified if you feel like your life is truly in danger. This story? I have a hard time believing the police officer was in any danger at all.. Probably just walked up, the dog saw the officer started running toward him (maybe even in a non-threatening manner). The dog "tried to attack him through the fence." Well, there is a fence there. The dog can't get to you so just step back and try to get the attention of the homeowner through the front door bell, or if they are in the back yard already, they should have heard the dog if it barked at the officer. He might have tried to ring hte doorbell first, and then no response the officer went to see if he could go around the back. Saw the dog, thought, "well there is a dog in the way", went to his car, got the assault rifle, then shot the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom