• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old Logitech wheels [with FFB] are now playable on PS4 via homebrew PC app

Shaneus

I remember buying some atmel USB adapter thingy to get homebrew working on my PS3-fat, so maybe I already have some of the parts I need. It's also possible I don't, so I'll need to double-check that. But I suspect it's still only a matter of time until a similar method will work for existing USB adapters like the Titan and that newish Chinese one (that lied about FFB support).

Edit: I think it was the Maximus AVR USB. I'll need to see if it's useful or not.

Edit #2: It looks like I may have a use for my Pi with this...
GIMX can run on smaller targets such as the Raspberry Pi or Thin clients running a small Linux distro.
I know I'd still need the adapters and the Teensy, but that beats having a PC switched on all the time.

Edit #3: Holy shit, it looks like the board I bought to CFW my PS3 (the Maximus AVR USB) is actually compatible, so I just need to buy the USB-Serial adapter for about $5. Score!

Hypron

I attempted to use my Arduino Pro micro that I had purchased for EDtracker, however attempted to upload on my Mac has somehow now rendered the ATmega32u4 bust or requiring some magic.. grrr!

Do you have another arduino on hand? You probably overwrote/corrupted the Arduino's bootloader (a small piece of program that handles the uploading of sketches). You can restore it (or try to upload the firmware again) using an ISP. Good thing is, an Arduino can be used as an ISP (this link is for using an Arduino Uno as the ISP, if you have another arduino micro you can follow this tutorial).

For those that know their electronics could this be made into a plug and play adapter removing the PC usage?

I'm holding off buying the diy kit until people here test, my PS4 won't be getting connected to the internet either incase sony does some shady stealth update shit to kill this.

It's possible that in the long-term they release a version on their code that can run on a simple plug-and-play adapter. But for now the closest possible solution is to replace the PC by a raspberry pi (or similar).

MGR

Total price of components for a stand-alone adapter is ~$80.00USD (or $110AUD) (USB/Serial conv, USB dev board, Rasp Pi). Never mind the amount of time required to build, program and set it all up. Which begs the question...

How much are people willing to pay for a ready made stand-alone adapter?

Shaneus

Total price of components for a stand-alone adapter is ~$80.00USD (or $110AUD) (USB/Serial conv, USB dev board, Rasp Pi). Never mind the amount of time required to build, program and set it all up. Which begs the question...

Given it's open-source, I'd say it's a matter of time before it's available to existing owners of the Titan One/CronusMax/Chinese equivalent, which were all around the $60USD mark (from memory). Asking what it's actually worth to some people though, I'd say upwards of $100USD.

But people know the relative cost now, so I doubt they'll be able to charge more than what the above manufacturers charge. I'm just happy that I can use my old PS3 "dev" board with it, meaning I save a heap (relatively) of money. I'm happy to use a PC for the time being (have a Wintel tablet I don't do anything with) so with the existing parts I have, it's only costing me the value of the USB/Serial adapter :D

I'm in Australia too BTW, so I can see what prices this will set people back. Note that they list the Pi software version as being pre-release, so I don't know how stable it is. But if it's solid enough, I'm going to try and put everything (Pi and boards) into it's own case.

Hypron

The price is more like $60. A Raspberry Pi is $35, the AVR board is $20 and the adapter is $2. So $57. Which isn't that cheap but it's still relatively decent.

A standalone adapter designed from the ground up could be made for cheaper though. The DIY combination contains lots of unneeded components. So there's probably some potential for an existing company or a startup to design and sell standalone adapters.

desu

A standalone adapter designed from the ground up could be made for cheaper though. The DIY combination contains lots of unneeded components. So there's probably some potential for an existing company or a startup to design and sell standalone adapters.

As much as I would like people to have an easy out of the box solution, I would love if this keeps being not commercial enough so that it doesn't draw enough attention for Sony/Logitech to do anything about it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Besides, I don't know how many people would buy one to necessitate a company releasing an actual product.

I was thinking that this would be as niche as the people who install TV out adapters on 3DS/Vita; so some guy just making these in his spare time and selling them on demand.

desu

Besides, I don't know how many people would buy one to necessitate a company releasing an actual product.

I would say there is a certain market for these, the wheel situation this generation sucks (especially if you're a Logitech wheel owner from the last generation(s)). Another thing would be that you might be able to use one wheel for all consoles in the future which currently can only be done by one wheel that will easily set you back 1000-1500€/$.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would say there is a certain market for these, the wheel situation this generation sucks (especially if you're a Logitech wheel owner from the last generation(s)). Another thing would be that you might be able to use one wheel for all consoles in the future which currently can only be done by one wheel that will easily set you back 1000-1500€/$.
Looking on GAF, it looks like the most hardcore people already moved onto next gen wheels... I expect that when GT7 comes, a lot of people are just going to buy G29s instead of trying to use this adapter. I think it's just a stubborn few like us who have just given up on console racing.

bombshell

I'm content with running it off my laptop like in the videos, so I don't need a Raspberry Pi.

The adapter also doesn't take more than 5 minutes to make going off the tutorial wiki page.

The USB adapter is going to set me back $30 for the teensy ($19+international shipping) and the 3 other components can be bought with free shipping for almost nothing on ebay.

So in total ~$35 for international people like me willing to just run it off laptops, less for US people.

I'm just hoping for some solid impressions from people with the components lying around before committing to it myself.

Looking on GAF, it looks like the most hardcore people already moved onto next gen wheels... I expect that when GT7 comes, a lot of people are just going to buy G29s instead of trying to use this adapter. I think it's just a stubborn few like us who have just given up on console racing.

The price of G29 plus the shifter is stupid in the UK, £245 is the cheapest I've seen just the wheel. [That's about a PS4 price! ] At around £15 for the electronic adapter bits I'm very happy to put it all together and have reason to power up of the one of my old Acer one netbooks.

To me, it's more about having to buy a new wheel and the space it takes to store it. So I'm willing to spend money on a more compact adapter if it works well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The price of G29 plus the shifter is stupid in the UK, £245 is the cheapest I've seen just the wheel. [That's about a PS4 price! ] At around £15 for the electronic adapter bits I'm very happy to put it all together and have reason to power up of the one of my old Acer one netbooks.
Oh sure. Assuming this doesn't get patched out, I'm just going to buy a Titan One and use my PC. I just think the idea of turning this thing into a full blown product is going to be a bit out there because it'd be a niche within a niche.

joeblow

I'd buy a ready made kit if only so that I don't have to buy a new stand with a new wheel (Wheelstand Pro w/DFGT user here).

Shaneus

Pretty sure this already means we can use the one wheel across all consoles. Isn't there One support, too? If not, it has support for everything else. I didn't even check if it let me use it as a 360 wheel... but if I can use this in games like PGR4 and Forza 4, I'd be pretty happy!
Just had a look, it only has 360 *pad* emulation right now. I guess if the original Fanatec FM4 wheel was USB then this might be able to emulate it too.

The G29 is literally identical to the G27 mechanically (from what I've read/heard). If this really is lag free (or a matter of milliseconds, which couldn't really be noticed with a wheel) then I think people would rather keep their one wheel.

You don't need a raspberry pi. The price is more like 30 for me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
^your name is making me wanna drive to Popeyes.

bombshell

Still no impressions? Would like to purchase Project Cars for 50% off on the PSN store, if this force feedback emulation is legit, but it's only discounted until tomorrow.

isamu, I saw you posted on the GIMX forums, did you try this yet?

6MS is awful imo

The preferred setup is the DIY USB adapter and with that there's no latency.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
isamu, I saw you posted on the GIMX forums, did you try this yet?

My wheel and pedals aren't being delivered until the end of December. I'm just a spectator on the sidelines for now :(

MGR

You don't need a raspberry pi. The price is more like 30 for me.

I'm talking about a standalone adapter. Plug 'n play.

I used to run regular full online rooms of GT6 with my mates and 98% of them have a G25/G27. Only a small handful of them have moved to PS4 / PCars and it's mostly down to their wheels being useless. A ready-made stand-alone USB powered adapter would need to be $50-$60 to get mass appeal in my opinion.

Pretty sure this already means we can use the one wheel across all consoles. Isn't there One support, too? If not, it has support for everything else. I didn't even check if it let me use it as a 360 wheel...

I think that Xbox One wheels still use XID, but they also support HID. So provided the adapter could fool the PS4 into thinking it's talking to a G29, and the adapter could fool the G920 it's talking to a PC the FFB comms shouldn't need 'translating' between devices.This would be the next logical step in providing a reasonably-priced-one-wheel-fits-all solution. But it would have to be an Xbox One wheel to begin with.

But running a G29 on an Xbox One would need the XID output translated to HID somehow on-the-fly via the adapter. But if this was possible, then it would also open up the possibility to interface any wheel with any console.

Both the scenarios above are probably unlikely though. Let's face it, the only reason we have legacy Logitech support now is the PS4 games now support re-badged G27 with an authentication chip. Seems like the only major hurdle was the hardware security measures.

bombshell

I've taken the plunge for the USB adapter components. They came out to $33, including shipping.

Impressions in a month when they arrive...

Shaneus

I guess Shaneus might be first with some impressions? Looking forward to them as well :).
I'm waiting for my USB-serial adapter to come, shouldn't be too long! I elected to pay a bit more to get a locally delivered one (vs. one from China that could take weeks), and it looks like I can use my USB adapter thingy, too:
pkBoSfF.png

Only thing is, because it's not what they recommend with separate pinouts, I'll have to solder wires directly off those two pads (and whatever the ground one is) if I've read the chip's datasheet correctly. So my solution will be less elegant than those seen on the website, but it should still work just as well. Fingers crossed I get the converter today, otherwise it might be another week or so before I can offer impressions.

Shaneus

what wheel and console do you have?
G27 and a PS4. I'll be trying it out with Driveclub, and if there are any demos on the PS4 that have driving and support the G29. It's a shame the 360 doesn't have anything more than pad emulation support, I'd love to try PGR4 and Daytona with FFB.

Fingers crossed there's a wired FFB option for it so I can try that out, too.

Late edit (not worth the bump): Stupid Australia Post or whoever, no sign of my package today. So it'll have to wait until at least Monday, most likely Tuesday (when Evo are making a big announcement/reveal for Driveclub, and it had better not be fucking G27 support!).

Philly40

I've taken the plunge for the USB adapter components. They came out to $33, including shipping.

Impressions in a month when they arrive...

$33 sounds steep,

have you tried www.fasttech.com - it's a gamble with crazy cheap prices but unspecified delivery times, I've just got the usb serial adapter and a clone andruino board for $7 - it might arrive before GT7 is released.

bombshell

$33 sounds steep,

have you tried www.fasttech.com - it's a gamble with crazy cheap prices but unspecified delivery times, I've just got the usb serial adapter and a clone andruino board for $7 - it might arrive before GT7 is released.

Most of that was the teensy ($19+$10 shipping), but I prefer reliable channels. The site you suggest also don't have the teensy, which is what the tutorial to setup the adapter is based on.

I wouldn't say it's steep compared to the $400 (MSRP) that Logitech wants for the G29.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I literally just sold my G25 three days ago after being in my closet for almost 4 years.

Thanks Guerilla.

Just sold my G27 a month ago. Bought it specifically for PS4 at launch and never got to use it once

Fuck everything

Literally just gave my GT wheel away last weekend thinking it's days were over.
Oh well, I made a 14 year old kid happier than a pig in shit so that's cool at least.

Satan spawn demon's cunt! Did the same thing too. So friggin unfortunate. Dammiiiiiit!

bombshell

I can't find the Teensy with pins on ebay, somebody please put together a UK ebay no-solder shopping list

The teensy isn't cheapest on ebay.

Here's what I bought and all the items were shipped within a day, hopefully they don't take too long to arrive.

Teensy 2.0 w/ pins: http://pjrc.com/store/teensy_pins.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CP2102-...830162?hash=item27c54c3412:g:b1IAAOSwEetV~6Mp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0...715374?hash=item1a0027262e:g:b9kAAOSwv0tVVfAV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novel-Black...hash=item417aab8901:m:m7pFwxAFvoMECs4yHf2H-dA

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So can someone explain how this works with a Titan One?

You connect the wheel to the PC, then the PC to PS4 via Titan One, and run the GIMX software on the PC?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

He needs a board WITH pins (no soldering required). Your link is correct tho :)

Waiting confirmation that FFB is fully supported working as intended 100% before ordering my parts, it'll set me back $33 for the teensy 2.0 pinned board (damn you $11 international shipping) and about €9 locally for the usb adapter.

All in all 40€ circa, not cheap (for a guerrilla diy solution eheh) but I'm glad this is even an option, so I'm def not complaining! Luckily my HTPC is already sitting below my pj's screen and beside my PS4.

Top Bottom