• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Month of PS4 sales in China beats 8 months of Xbox One sales (Rumour)

It needs to go back and erase the pre-launch PR disaster. it has nothing to do with the actual console itself, but the perception.
Nothing wrong with console? it was expensive, weak compared to PS4 so has inferior versions, bulky, no big real exclusives so far(most of them are on PC now), weak game library compared to PS4 released games etc., PS4 does what gamers want overall and its better product thats all but xbox has everything wrong and doing many 180s.

Abdiel

It needs to go back and erase the pre-launch PR disaster. it has nothing to do with the actual console itself, but the perception.

This narrative ignores the fact that there are aspects of the system that are not as appealing, that the perceptions of some aspects are actually true, like the power difference and the resulting differences in game performance, or the way thth product is largely viewed as a US oriented machine in terms and features.

The reveal and PR blunders compounded the issue, but the system itself faces struggles for what it is as well. Look at the discussions from the various threads that contain overseas viewpoints.

I'm not saying the system is bad. I'm saying that it's not just a matter of how the reveal went. If it were genuinely a more appealing product compared with its competition, it would be doing better than it is.

I'll let Greenberg field this one -

Ri6GaMg.png

Farmer's Market, Flea Market and others I can't think of.

ps3ud0

I don't think its just/purely perception - its not that far from the truth that the XO is just a 'weaker PS4' where most of the differences just aren't that important nor are marketable in the areas it isn't doing well.

What does seem more likely, as the multiple launch issues still remain foremost (EDIT: and MS has squandered any goodwill the 360 made), is that I don't think MS will have the capability to ignore/dismiss them when they bring out the XOs successor. It really seems a taint that will stick with the brand far longer than anticipated IMO.

ps3ud0 8)

Shengar

I think the PR disaster is only a thing in Europe/NA. For many part of the world, especially Asia, Sony and their Playstation is almost synonymous gaming console. It's hard to changed that perception, and actually they almost do that with 360 since it can be hacked earlier than PS3. But it just can't happened it seems and Xbox One initial focus as media center really kill all of that away.

Think back to the PS3 and how Sony repaired its damaged image launch after the PR blunders circa 2006. Now, if you're with me, think of the following:

1. It still took the PS3 a while to come back (I'd say 2009 is when their comeback started strong) and Sony had to invest a lot into what really matters at the end of the day: games.
2. Sony had free online back then. Not on par with Xbox Live, but when it worked, it did what it needed to (connect people to play).
3. Sony launched one hell of a marketing campaign. Say what you will about the It Only Does Everything and Kevin Butler, but they put PlayStation back in people's minds.
4. Sony added the Move for the people that were interested in the Wii, but didn't focus 100% on it and dropped the ball on their core games because of it.
5. Sony locked their crazy PR people into a broom closet and threw away the key.

In addition to that, consider this:

1. PS3 was still more powerful than Xbox 360, even if a lot more difficult to program for and with split memory instead of a huge (back then) shared memory pool. Multiplatform games would still have issues on PS3 vs Xbox 360, so it fell to exclusives to show off the console.
2. PS3 had bluray. Even if it was an issue at launch because it made it too expensive, it paid off in the end because people wanted to watch blu rays.

Now, I honestly don't think people continue to prefer the PS4 over the XBO because of the initial PR blunder. It's been almost two years now. People have short memory spans. Microsoft already took care of the crazy PR people and put a friendlier more gamer-centric image up there in the form of Phil. But there's still a lot more that Microsoft needs to do and it's not only in PR. On the other hand, The Master Chief Collection blunder took a lot of wind from their sails. That's also something that people will eventually forget (or forgive), but it'll take a while.

We have left then: constant stream of high quality exclusive games, new marketing campaign, some cool gadget to compete with VR but without making it the main focus of the console, abandoning core games, only to underwhelm with the gadget's offerings and performance.

And last, but not least, the elephant in the room: performance. What are they going to do about that? We've seen parity in some multi-platform games where we think there shouldn't be. Will that be enough? I honestly don't know.

Perhaps the only way they can compete now is with money for marketing, more agressive pricing (drop before the competition, more bundles), and hopefully with great quality exclusive games. Not only AAA Halo/Gears/Forza but also with amazing family oriented games and of course, indies.

I'm not going to say Microsoft is doomed, but the truth is, they still have a long way to go before they can recoup so much of what they've lost. And it's going to cost them a lot if want to do so. I'll wait for E3 and Gamescom.

Think back to the PS3 and how Sony repaired its damaged image launch after the PR blunders circa 2006. Now, if you're with me, think of the following:

1. It still took the PS3 a while to come back (I'd say 2009 is when their comeback started strong) and Sony had to invest a lot into what really matters at the end of the day: games.
2. Sony had free online back then. Not on par with Xbox Live, but when it worked, it did what it needed to (connect people to play).
3. Sony launched one hell of a marketing campaign. Say what you will about the It Only Does Everything and Kevin Butler, but they put PlayStation back in people's minds.
4. Sony added the Move for the people that were interested in the Wii, but didn't focus 100% on it and dropped the ball on their core games because of it.
5. Sony locked their crazy PR people into a broom closet and threw away the key.

In addition to that, consider this:

1. PS3 was still more powerful than Xbox 360, even if a lot more difficult to program for and with split memory instead of a huge (back then) shared memory pool. Multiplatform games would still have issues on PS3 vs Xbox 360, so it fell to exclusives to show off the console.
2. PS3 had bluray. Even if it was an issue at launch because it made it too expensive, it paid off in the end because people wanted to watch blu rays.

Now, I honestly don't think people continue to prefer the PS4 over the XBO because of the initial PR blunder. It's been almost two years now. People have short memory spans. Microsoft already took care of the crazy PR people and put a friendlier more gamer-centric image up there in the form of Phil. But there's still a lot more that Microsoft needs to do and it's not only in PR. On the other hand, The Master Chief Collection blunder took a lot of wind from their sails. That's also something that people will eventually forget (or forgive), but it'll take a while.

We have left then: constant stream of high quality exclusive games, new marketing campaign, some cool gadget to compete with VR but without making it the main focus of the console, abandoning core games, only to underwhelm with the gadget's offerings and performance.

And last, but not least, the elephant in the room: performance. What are they going to do about that? We've seen parity in some multi-platform games where we think there shouldn't be. Will that be enough? I honestly don't know.

Perhaps the only way they can compete now is with money for marketing, more agressive pricing (drop before the competition, more bundles), and hopefully with great quality exclusive games. Not only AAA Halo/Gears/Forza but also with amazing family oriented games and of course, indies.

I'm not going to say Microsoft is doomed, but the truth is, they still have a long way to go before they can recoup so much of what they've lost. And it's going to cost them a lot if want to do so. I'll wait for E3 and Gamescom.

You do know that DVD's and Downloads outpace Blu-ray by a lot right? Especially in those smaller countries?

But yeah, I wonder how other countries view the Halo MC disaster.

You do know that DVD's and Downloads outpace Blu-ray by a lot right? Especially in those smaller countries?
Of course, but it's nice to have. And if both consoles basically do the same for your taste, this might be a welcome extra.
Me, personally I would never have watched Blueray if I did not have the player in the PS3. And now I love it.

Not all countries really had the same reaction to that, in fact, the heaviest Backlash was in America, where it's selling on par.
On par in the US is a disaster for Microsoft. (Or would be. At the moment they are not even there...)

BigDug13

I think the PR disaster is only a thing in Europe/NA. For many part of the world, especially Asia, Sony and their Playstation is almost synonymous gaming console. It's hard to changed that perception, and actually they almost do that with 360 since it can be hacked earlier than PS3. But it just can't happened it seems and Xbox One initial focus as media center really kill all of that away.

I never really considered how much impact pirate-ability may have had on 360 sales.

SerTapTap

I never really considered how much impact pirate-ability may have had on 360 sales.

PSP also had a crazy high piracy rate and games didn't seem to sell well compared to the install base. I wonder how many PSPs never met a single legitimate game.

Shengar

Oh, it's a big factor indeed for third world country where PS2 sells like a hot cakes due to the fact that you can buy any game from street just for less than $1. When PS3 can't be hacked for its first 3 years, it become synonymous with expensive, and much loathed original gaming so people began to flock to Xbox 360. But somehow 360 just can't replace the Playstation as household name for console despite all the momentum that MS have, leaving Sony uncontested on these (gray) markets.
PSP also had a crazy high piracy rate and games didn't seem to sell well compared to the install base. I wonder how many PSPs never met a single legitimate game.

Well, mine never met an UMD in its entire life
Because it's a PSP Go, duh

Of course, but it's nice to have. And if both consoles basically do the same for your taste, this might be a welcome extra.
Me, personally I would never have watched Blueray if I did not have the player in the PS3. And now I love it.

On par in the US is a disaster for Microsoft. (Or would be. At the moment they are not even there...)

Well remember the Wii and 360 in the U.S. at this point, I'd say let's wait till the end of the yer before we say disaster, because the 360 really didn't gaining that big lead in market share till a bit later, and right now the PS4 and XBox one are closer than the 360 and Wii were.

Of course, it seems obvious MS has no plans until E3, which will bite them again, especially next year, if they don't fix it. You'd think after the last 3 times they would have learned by now smh.

Shengar

import tax is killer in Brazil, they'd need to have some assembly or something within Brazil to avoid some of that import tax to really knock that price down

Don't you have any gray market there? PS4 official price here is $700, but you can get as cheap as $500 from unofficial retailer, which any sane person do.

import tax is killer in Brazil, they'd need to have some assembly or something within Brazil to avoid some of that import tax to really knock that price down

Yes, it can go from 60% for People and over 100% for conpanies.

MS used a Flextronic plant in Brazil, while Sony decided to import. Launch prices for Xbox One and PS4 were R$ 2,000 vs 4,000.

Obviouslt a lot of peopke went to the grey Market for PS4.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I could see anime aesthetics and Japanese style storylines to go over fairly well in China, so hopefully this will mean good things for sales of JP console games, encouraging those developers to continue producing on console.

As well as hopefully leading to some new Chinese-developed single-player/offline RPGs. I read a few articles about Chinese-exclusive RPGs and they looked pretty interesting.

ZhugeEX

Banned
on PS4? because it's already on Vita there right?

Edit: Did we ever find out if this thread was still rumoured or has there been an update?

On PS4.

Already out on Vita.

And yeh it's still rumour.

Sony and MS were never going to confirm. As I've said before we'll never get "official" numbers. Just what Chinese media/retailer are saying.

Having looked at a number of online retailers (who disclose units sold per month) it looks like the PS4 is still comfortably leading over Xbox One.

Anyone knows how these console sales are in China now? I'm wondering if the PS4 will plateau out at a very low level like the Xbone.

4Tran

Anyone knows how these console sales are in China now? I'm wondering if the PS4 will plateau out at a very low level like the Xbone.
There's very little information coming out of China, and it's going to stay that way. I think that only new information is that 300,000 units of software have been sold on Xbone and PS4.

FTF

There's very little information coming out of China, and it's going to stay that way. I think that only new information is that 300,000 units of software have been sold on Xbone and PS4.

Is there some sort or rule or understanding of why Sony and/or Microsoft don't (can't?) release the sales info/data for China?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is there some sort or rule or understanding of why Sony and/or Microsoft don't (can't?) release the sales info/data for China?

Same reason we don't get the sales numbers for Indonesia or Bulgaria.

Basically the numbers are nothing to shout home about.

Niko Partners estimate that 550,000 PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles will be sold officially inside China this year and a further 500,000 total consoles will be imported on the black market compared to 800,000 last year in 2014.

So it can be said that the install base of PS4 and XB1 combined will be over 1 million easily by the end of 2015.

KampferZeon

Neo Member

On 28 Feb 2015, the Xbox one Chinese company reported sales of Xbox one reached 100000. The company also posted a loss of 17,240,000 RMB.

Consoles as a whole is not selling well. PC MMO and mobile dominated the market.

Within console space, PS4 is killing xbone because
1) XB Region Lock Blunder vs PS4 region free from day zero
2) Japanese developers support non existant on XB
3) Sony aggressive language localization support (e.g. Yakura, RPG, 1st party)

ZhugeEX

Banned
On 28 Feb 2015, the Xbox one Chinese company reported sales of Xbox one reached 100000. The company also posted a loss of 17,240,000 RMB.

Consoles as a whole is not selling well. PC MMO and mobile dominated the market.

Within console space, PS4 is killing xbone because
1) XB Region Lock Blunder vs PS4 region free from day zero
2) Japanese developers support non existant on XB
3) Sony aggressive language localization support (e.g. Yakura, RPG, 1st party)

To clarify, the 100,000 was the day 1 shipment in September 2014. This number was repeated in the financial report ending Dec 31st 2014.

To clarify, the 100,000 was the day 1 shipment in September 2014. This number was repeated in the financial report ending Dec 31st 2014.

If it was repeated ending Dec 31st, does that mean they never shipped any more and the XB1 hasn't sold 100k yet?

ZhugeEX

Banned
If it was repeated ending Dec 31st, does that mean they never shipped any more and the XB1 hasn't sold 100k yet?

All it means is that we know that Xbox One has shipped more than 100,000 units in China.

Microsoft were very vocal about saying they had 100,000 units shipped on day 1. Yet all we know from the financial report is confirmation of that number. We have no idea how much more has been sold in officially. Also remember the 100,000 shipment excludes imported consoles.

Considering the official software library is so small that the majority of software sales came from black market, the 300k number doesn't really indicate anything.

Also Sony China released an announcement that imported PS4s will not be covered by their RMA services in any means, and there are reports of Sony sending notify to take down import console sellers which isn't a good thing at all.

Top Bottom