• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Month of PS4 sales in China beats 8 months of Xbox One sales (Rumour)

EGM1966

It's funny because they don't even use real Wii U numbers. The actual number is 6.9m excluding Japan. Not 7m.

That whole exclude Japan thing is one big joke. I'd like to see them compare PS4 to Xbox One when they exclude USA and UK. Because that makes the whole picture even worse for Xbox.
I love the idea that a one sided decision to drop a territory is supposed to somehow constitute "analysis" - no wonder tin foil hat folk think conspiracies are afoot when supposedly reputable sites post stuff like this analysis.

The only reason to exclude a data point is if it's truly skewing the numbers and even then it should contain heavy caveats in the analysis noting the removal is to produce a sub-set view only. The funny thing is given WW trends it would make more sense to remove US from analysis for XB1 just to see how much its propping up the console vs removing Japan for PS4 as it's merely another territory contribution wise and hardly skewing any other territory.

Here the article is clearly trying to use switching of terms of references and data sets to paint a specific picture: hey Xbox isn't doing that bad in US and UK folks, why not buy one today!

Just saw your post on price change in China - guess the Xbox One is going to be the console of extended limited promotions this gen.

See it would help if you put thw rod rumor at the start of the post instead of at the end of the post because people aren't viewing it that way. Also Sony would have said something by now.

This just means that, again, PS4 is leading in EVERY country in the world where nextgen consoles are sold.

This is a rumor, that I can't confirm at all and I'm going through Chinese media like a cheetah.

Most I found was that Sony's numbers were "decent: but slow.

Kayant

See it would help if you put thw rod rumor at the start of the post instead of at the end of the post because people aren't viewing it that way. Also Sony would have said something by now.

How does that make a difference? Also this happens in every single "rumour" thread. This one is no different or a special occurrence.

Also Sony would have said something by now.

Even if these numbers are true, it's not even remotely worth-talking about other than patting yourself on the back, telling yourself you're awesome because Xbox is doing terrible.

Unless you've already calibrated public expectations accordingly, saying that you did Japan numbers in your first month in China is meh from a global perspective.

Javin98

Banned
Where have we heard that one before?
LOL, my thoughts exactly. Something tells me that this price drop may actually end up being permanent.

You sound determined to prove that this info is wrong. May I ask why? I get having doubts but you sound like you're insisting it's false.

ZhugeEX

Banned
This is a rumor, that I can't confirm at all and I'm going through Chinese media like a cheetah.

Do you know Chinese media/China market well?

In case you missed it, it says rumour in the title and the first post.

panda-zebra

Banned
Here the article is clearly trying to use switching of terms of references and data sets to paint a specific picture: hey Xbox isn't doing that bad in US and UK folks, why not buy one today!

It wasn't all that long ago the same guy accidentally used a wonky scale with the end result being fairly similar - making things appear closer than they were. It was corrected after someone pointed it out in the comments. That was a week after he posted this that, oddly, made things seem even closer than they were.

LOL, my thoughts exactly. Something tells me that this price drop may actually end up being permanent.

You sound determined to prove that this info is wrong. May I ask why? I get having doubts but you sound like you're insisting it's false.

Because it doesn't make sense, that wopuld be a sudden huge increase in the chinese "official" console market, and that doesn't make any sense. People would pick up on it if true, but they aren't.

China is a complicated market (well sort of) but even the most outside of outsiders knows what's really big in china and what goes on there. One month of PS4 sales beating basically 1 month of Xbox One sales (shipped) or just the estimate 71k it actuallysold-through would be very big and very strange and wouldn't make much sense.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Did your ead any my above postsd at all before you posted this?

Yes.

Because it doesn't make sense, that wopuld be a sudden huge increase in the chinese "official" console market, and that doesn't make any sense. People would pick up on it if true, but they aren't.

China is a complicated market (well sort of) but even the most outside of outsiders knows what's really big in china and what goes on there.

It's been posted around a few places.

And please, do tell me what's going on in China and what's big there.... I'd love to know.

gtj1092

China is a complicated market (well sort of) but even the most outside of outsiders knows what's really big in china and what goes on there. One month of PS4 sales beating basically 1 month of Xbox One sales (shipped) or just the estimate 71k it actuallysold-through would be very big and very strange and wouldn't make much sense.

Why not do you think Xbox is more popular than PS in China?

Kayant

You sound like an expert on China please give us outsiders some insight into the market.

Chobel

By any chance, did you see someone shot themselves in the foot?

mieumieu

I just bought an imported Japanese version ps4 in March. A lot of my friends still choose imported consoles even after the official version is out because both ps4 and xbone are still partially locked and the fear that someday it might revert to total region lock if a policy change is mandated. Therefore I think the sales figures are good for reference but the market situations are still quite nebulous.

As to why ps4 sells much better than xbone in my opinion

1 ps4 has more localized games. both simplified and traditional Chinese versions are abundant. Also in some cases like order 1886 and ff type 0 they do not have an official mainland Chinese version but you can switch to simplified Chinese language in a hk-taiwan version.

2 The total region lock really tainted the xbone reputation even though it has been reversed.

3 psx and ps2 are two very popular consoles back then even though most games are just pirated.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Can I say how perfect it is for the OP to have a Zhuge Liang name AND avatar?

Sensational.

ZL_zpsvtr319kx.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned
I just bought an imported Japanese version ps4 in March. A lot of my friends still choose imported consoles even after the official version is out because both ps4 and xbone are still partially locked and the fear that someday it might revert to total region lock if a policy change is mandated. Therefore I think the sales figures are good for reference but the market situations are still quite nebulous.

As to why ps4 sells much better than xbone in my opinion

1 ps4 has more localized games. both simplified and traditional Chinese versions are abundant. Also in some cases like order 1886 and ff type 0 they do not have an official mainland Chinese version but you can switch to simplified Chinese language in a hk-taiwan version.

2 The total region lock really tainted the xbone reputation even though it has been reversed.

3 psx and ps2 are two very popular consoles back then even though most games are just pirated.

I agree 100%.

So many more games are being localised in TW/HK which means its easier for Chinese gamers to easily play the games they want. If not there is always Japanese version which is what many played before.

And yes, PS2 was very popular back in the day so lots of mindshare for PlayStation already + PlayStation games.

Javin98

Banned

You keep writing your posts as if they were facts, but the truth is you're just speculating. Unless you have access to other more accurate info, you should not be so persistent in claiming this info is false. I'd like to remind you that posting opinions as facts can get you banned here. Also, it's not hard to believe that the PS4 sold 71K in its launch month and there is no doubt that will continue to sell better than the XB1. The two main reasons are Playstation is far more popular than XBox in China and unlike Microsoft, Sony is actually doing something to increase the install base in China.

Wiggy

no that still appears to be apt, it's just that they won't buy american products either. and given the choice, they apparently favor japanese products over american ones. we're still talking less than a fraction of 1% of the entire population in either case.

Which is a real shame as with that 1% they could take over the world

Wiggy

Lot of people seem to be writing off China, but I think it's still early days. When China loosened it's restrictions on Hollywood films it took a few years before they gained a foothold. Now it's the No. 2 market in the world (behind the US) and films occasionally out gross the US (most recently fast and furious 7). I'm not saying this well definitely happen, but I think there's room for growth especially if the restrictions get rolled back a little.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Popularity doesn't matter, PS4 beating Xbox one is one thing, PS4 breaking records in a place were there were no consoles with heavy increases however makes no sense.

You know that there were consoles in China before the PS4 and Xbox One right?

The PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii were fairly popular among gamers in China during their respective times.

Nikko Partners for example estimated that the console market since 2002 has seen over 1.2m units sold in each year with peak years exceeding 2 million.

You know that there were consoles in China before the PS4 and Xbox One right?

The PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii were fairly popular among gamers in China during their respective times.

Nikko Partners for example estimated that the console market since 2002 has seen over 1.2m units sold in each year with peak years exceeding 2 million.

This isn't about the black market, its about the ps4 having a large increase in rumor in a market were some say will take year or more to reach half a million sales.

But I think some people are looking at my posts as pro-Xbox so ill back off for now. Especially since I come across as stating facts while I'm speculating.

You keep writing your posts as if they were facts, but the truth is you're just speculating. Unless you have access to other more accurate info, you should not be so persistent in claiming this info is false. I'd like to remind you that posting opinions as facts can get you banned here. Also, it's not hard to believe that the PS4 sold 71K in its launch month and there is no doubt that will continue to sell better than the XB1. The two main reasons are Playstation is far more popular than XBox in China and unlike Microsoft, Sony is actually doing something to increase the install base in China.

See your viewing this in a console war setting. I'm not talking about Xbox. Almost 100k in that shirt of time would mean I theory the ps4 could reach 1 million in less than 1 full year or less than that, unless the rumored sales are frontloaded.

However, I will take your warning seriously, I did not mean to come off like I have concrete info.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I've seen people say both combined probably wont reach 1 million by the end of the year.

What do you think?

P.s. Don't take my posts as fact, if I come off that way apologies.

Are you talking about Lewis Ward from IDC?

Yeh, he's right, they won't. However it's hard to say if he was including grey market in that report.

It's important to note that first and foremost this thread is a rumour, secondly it only covers official activated console sales. It does not cover the grey market. Therefore it's still very hard to say what the actual install base is in China for official sales and grey market sales.

Javin98

Banned
See your viewing this in a console war setting. I'm not talking about Xbox. Almost 100k in that shirt of time would mean I theory the ps4 could reach 1 million in less than 1 full year or less than that, unless the rumored sales are frontloaded.

However, I will take your warning seriously, I did not mean to come off like I have concrete info.
I'm not sure why you think I'm into console wars from that post, but the point is the PS4 will likely sell significantly better than the XB1 in China because of the brand popularity. It's not that hard to believe that it sold through 71K units in a month. Also, this does not mean it will hit a million in less than a year. Sales will most likely slow down since launch months are usually bigger than most months.

What's funny is as soon as I post this thread, Microsoft drop the official price of Xbox One in China from 3,699RMB to 2,999RMB for a limited promotion.

OT: I'm glad you brought this up... Speaking of price promotions, does the Xbox one price promotion in the US, the $50 price drop, end today?

When this current price drop promotion started back in January, I went to Toys R Us and saw this promotion lasted until 5/2/2015, today... Which also coincides with the end of April NPD tracking...

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=147896630

ZhugeEX

Banned
OT: I'm glad you brought this up... Speaking of price promotions, does the Xbox one price promotion in the US, the $50 price drop, end today?

When this current price drop promotion started back in January, I went to Toys R Us and saw this promotion lasted until 5/2/2015, today... Which also coincides with the end of April NPD tracking...

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=147896630

I have feeling the limited time promotion in the USA will be "extended due to the popularity of the deal" by Microsoft.

Trojan

I'm glad China is getting a taste of real gaming, instead of that PC crap they had to deal with.

How does the PC scene they have right now not constitute "real gaming"? Without context, your statement comes off as pretentious.

Lot of people seem to be writing off China, but I think it's still early days. When China loosened it's restrictions on Hollywood films it took a few years before they gained a foothold. Now it's the No. 2 market in the world (behind the US) and films occasionally out gross the US (most recently fast and furious 7). I'm not saying this well definitely happen, but I think there's room for growth especially if the restrictions get rolled back a little.

My thoughts exactly. Once cultural awareness is built slowly, the payoff can be massive. Requires a lot of goodwill-building initially.

I'm not sure why you think I'm into console wars from that post, but the point is the PS4 will likely sell significantly better than the XB1 in China because of the brand popularity. It's not that hard to believe that it sold through 71K units in a month. Also, this does not mean it will hit a million in less than a year. Sales will most likely slow down since launch months are usually bigger than most months.

Xbox has nothing to do with the issue in speaking of. It's the rate of sales. If XB sold through 71k in 1 month I'd say the sane. But I'm just speculating.

The real news here is that consoles are selling well in China.

China has a population of nearly 1.4 billion people...

I guess quite a few Japanese third party devs are hoping Asian console game market to expand..

Well it is really dumb how hard it is to buy Dynasty Warriors in China after all. The sales of DW in China have historically been low because of how hard it is to buy. There has never been a CN audio track for that franchise. Maybe if more Chinese people buy DW, Zhuge Liang will actually speak Chinese for once.

Xbox has nothing to do with the issue in speaking of. It's the rate of sales. If XB sold through 71k in 1 month I'd say the sane. But I'm just speculating.

Except that you are not speculating at all. In this one page alone, you have made all of these posts and claims.

I've seen people say both combined probably wont reach 1 million by the end of the year.

What do you think?

P.s. Don't take my posts as fact, if I come off that way apologies.

This isn't about the black market, its about the ps4 having a large increase in rumor in a market were some say will take year or more to reach half a million sales.

But I think some people are looking at my posts as pro-Xbox so ill back off for now. Especially since I come across as stating facts while I'm speculating.

Popularity doesn't matter, PS4 beating Xbox one is one thing, PS4 breaking records in a place were there were no consoles with heavy increases however makes no sense.

Did your ead any my above postsd at all before you posted this?

You did the same thing in the other thread as well so I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say here.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well it is really dumb how hard it is to buy Dynasty Warriors in China after all. The sales of DW in China have historically been low because of how hard it is to buy. There has never been a CN audio track for that franchise. Maybe if more Chinese people buy DW, Zhuge Liang will actually speak Chinese for once.

Huh?

Koei have always done well to cater Dynasty Warriors to Asia.

Huh?

Koei have always done well to cater Dynasty Warriors to Asia.

I'm just commenting about how comical it is that the only spoken language tracks for DW have always been Japanese and English. If there was a large sales push in China, maybe Tecmo-Koei would actually consider ponying up for a full Chinese dub of the games.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm just commenting about how comical it is that the only spoken language tracks for DW have always been Japanese and English. If there was a large sales push in China, maybe Tecmo-Koei would actually consider ponying up for a full Chinese dub of the games.

Well actually it used to be German and French dub as well back in the older games.

I get your overall point but Koei have always released a Chinese version of the game where the text is translated which is good enough.

Top Bottom