• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Month of PS4 sales in China beats 8 months of Xbox One sales (Rumour)

ZhugeEX

Banned
I meant compared to cost of living--something a standard family could pick up as a once every few years sort of expense (that seems to be the strategy for the US), a toy for the independently wealthy, something in between?

Well not just anyone can afford it. Average person can't.

Usually it's the rich or rich students who will buy the consoles.

ipHqzgSb9E2MY.gif

Feels like this gif is related enough to post it

What movie is this from originally?

ShinMaruku

so much for the 'china wont buy Japanese products' talk then I guess

You know I have a funny comment on that.
A Chinese woman was talking shit about Japan, showing me her anti Japanese propaganda on her Sony Smart Phone. The irony was lost on her. Myself, I was laughing in my head.

Elandyll

Banned
Is that hardly surprising? No? When it comes to brand recognition China is on the same boat as Japan. The actual surprising thing is that Xbox One actually have some sales with that atrocious launch.

You are probably thinking of Japan.

The Chinese launch had a good Media report going, with 100k units sold to retailers.

The bad news only started a few months down the line (with some reports of the console not having sold its initial shipment).

ZhugeEX

Banned
MS after half a year didn't sold the initial shipment in China? 100k.

Correct.

This is somewhat backed up by BesTV's financial report as well.

Microsoft announced the 100,000 figure during the first week of October. In the Q4 report BesTV repeated the same number which indicates no change. This quarter BesTV didn't bother reporting anything about Xbox sales in China.

So 100k is the only number we have and it looks like the reason that's the only number we have is because they haven't gone much above it.

Qvoth

70k out of 1 billion sounds pretty bad
but i guess most mainlanders that want a ps4 probably already got it from black/grey markets

ZhugeEX

Banned
but i guess most mainlanders that want a ps4 probably already got it from black/grey markets

dude...... seriously..... are you being serious right now.....? Like seriously dude......

Were you expecting over 1% of China to buy a PS4 or something....?

The day consoles sales in China are of a similar proportion to population as Western countries, is the day western countries are poor.

Javin98

Banned
Oh, my God. You're right. The PS2 also sold terribly since it sold only 152 million units to 7 billion people. /s

Gskyace

2222_zpstunyvdwi.jpg

in b4 1% of China

Chinese Media today reported that first month of PS4 sales have already exceeded total Xbox One lifetime to date figures in the country.

The PlayStation 4 launched on March 20th 2015 and in the past month has sold 73,000 units to end users through online and retail. According to Sunning (retailer), retail sales account for 20% of total sales with the majority of sales coming through the online store.

The PS4 was unlocked from launch which allows Chinese gamers to play China approved games but also import other titles yet to be released in China. When it comes to official games the console was bundled with King of Wushu and Mr Pumpkins adventure as free games. Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends is the number one selling game at the moment for PS4 with over 42,000 units sold to date. A rumour states that total sell in for the PS4 has exceeded 130,000 units.

The PS Vita has sold more than 21,000 units to end users. It has proved to be popular with a number of games such as Final Fantasy X exceeding 12,000 units.

The Xbox One launched in September 2014 across more than 4,000 retail locations in 37 cities throughout the People’s Republic of China. Microsoft were quick to confirm that they had already sold in 100,000 units and repeated this number again at the end of the year to show that they had a stronghold in the country. However the media have revealed that only 71,000 units have been through to end users after 8 months on the market. Thus, the PS4's one month of sales has already exceeded Xbox One Lifetime to date in the country.

IDC estimates that total sell in for PS4 and Xbox One could reach 1 million in China by the end of the year with the PS4 ahead.

This chart shows 8 months of Xbox One sales and 1 month of PS4/PS Vita sales.

78cd461fbe096b638de9ca2d09338744eaf8ac63_zpsbkbfkwbf.jpg

Source

It seems that only one news outlet is reporting this and there doesn't seem to be a source other than "Chinese retailers/media". So please file this under rumour. However the numbers do make sense based on what I've been hearing. No doubt the PS4 will continue to extend the lead over Xbox One and is reported to be selling 4x as much as the Xbox One at this time across all sales channels.

Please note that these numbers do not account for grey import consoles/games which account for a number of units as well. For example GTA5 is being bought in China on grey market even though it's banned. You won't see official sales figures for it but it still sold something. Same with imported PS4's.

Please see my China PS4 launch thread for more info.

The data they listed is wrong, as far as I know.
No other media in China has even published the data except this site which is not that famous in China. But how to get the pie chart picture without watermark, when the picture on the site has a watermark?

Kayant

Hindle cries somewhere :p

Also waiting for arstechnnia to *exclude China* from their next analysis because reasons.
If sales are accurate

4Tran

no that still appears to be apt, it's just that they won't buy american products either. and given the choice, they apparently favor japanese products over american ones. we're still talking less than a fraction of 1% of the entire population in either case.
Neither are particularly true. Even with the anti-Japanese sentiment in China, Japanese products in general and Sony products in particular have always been fairly popular. Any stories of "country X doesn't like country Y, so they'll never buy their goods" are all poorly borne out by the evidence.

I think China will overtake Japan as the primary gaming market in Asia in 5 years time.
China is already the largest gaming market in Asia, and by a lot too. The only reason this fact is mostly invisible on GAF is that China heavily favors PC gaming. The question is whether Chinese gamers can be convinced to pay for console games. And I think that this is precisely the purpose of releasing the Xbone and PS4 in the country: to build enough of an audience so that the PS5/Xbox Two can succeed there.

The data they listed is wrong, as far as I know.
No other media in China has even published the data except this site which is not that famous in China. But how to get the pie chart picture without watermark, when the picture on the site has a watermark?

Huh... Do you know the numbers?

magnumpy

Neither are particularly true. Even with the anti-Japanese sentiment in China, Japanese products in general and Sony products in particular have always been fairly popular. Any stories of "country X doesn't like country Y, so they'll never buy their goods" are all poorly borne out by the evidence.

the evidence suggests that neither product is particularly popular in china. I suppose that the high price of a next-gen console is too high a hurdle for mass chinese adoption. if they only cost a dollar then that would open the floodgates, but even the PS1 costs more than a dollar. which begs the question, has any console ever achieved any sort of mass success in china?

ethomaz

Banned
the evidence suggests that neither product is particularly popular in china. I suppose that the high price of a next-gen console is too high a hurdle for mass chinese adoption. if they only cost a dollar then that would open the floodgates, but even the PS1 costs more than a dollar. which begs the question, has any console ever achieved any sort of mass success in china?
These are the first consoles launched in China, no?

BTW the PS4 numbers are not that bad... it could reach 5 million or more in China lifetime.

Trojan

This really seems like a promising start for the PS4. I feel like the China market is best viewed as a long-term play; it's going to start slow as the console players establish a base, with the real rewards coming down the line as adoption and game libraries grow. No one should expect much profiting in the short term, so numbers like this that are pretty decent seem to bode well for Sony.

Thanks for sharing this...the Chinese game market is fascinating in its nuances.

Javin98

Banned
in other words, less than a fraction of 1% of the entire population.
Is this a joke post? I honestly can't tell. Anyone expecting 1% of China's population to buy these consoles is delusional. (No offense Artisan, I know you didn't know better back then).

Trojan

in other words, less than a fraction of 1% of the entire population.

Poor Artisan...his comment wasn't terrible as much as just uninformed, but he's been stomped on so much since then.

Is this a joke post? I honestly can't tell. Anyone expecting 1% of China's population to buy these consoles is delusional. (No offense Artisan, I know you didn't know better back then).

It's a meme from a previous thread where a member thought a 1% console sales rate in China was achievable.

Javin98

Banned
It's a meme from a previous thread where a member thought a 1% console sales rate in China was achievable.
Yeah, I'm aware of this. In fact, I was posting in that thread too. But I'm really wondering if that guy was using this meme in the context of a joke or if he was serious.

There is no believable source linked in the article and that pie chart look MK chart level bad... Though I won't be surprise if PS actually outsold Xbox.

4Tran

The "evidence" I was referring to was about the goods and services that are already popular in China: from automobiles, phones, and cameras to fast food restaurants and convenience stores. Game consoles are far too early in their market presence to draw any conclusions from.

And really, the slow sales of the game consoles were predicted by every party who have an inkling on how China's game market operates. The costs of the consoles themselves aren't the problem - there are lots of families who can spare a few thousand yuan on one. The real problem is that it's hard to convince Chinese gamers to pay full price on games and software. After all, the concerns about piracy are why most local game developers have moved to a F2P model.

It depends on what you mean by "mass success" of consoles in China. In the years where consoles were banned, they still managed six-figures in yearly grey market sales. I believe that the ban started in 2000, so any figures from before that date would be irrelevant for our purposes.

There is no believable source linked in the article and that pie chart look MK chart level bad... Though I won't be surprise if PS actually outsold Xbox.
I don't think anyone trusts the figures in the article much. However, they're very much in line with what observations we can get and what we can infer from them.

elelunicy

The "evidence" I was referring to was about the goods and services that are already popular in China: from automobiles, phones, and cameras to fast food restaurants and convenience stores. Game consoles are far too early in their market presence to draw any conclusions from.

Which is funcy considering game consoles were hugely popular in China, until they got overtaken by PC gaming in early 2000s.

magnumpy

And really, the slow sales of the game consoles were predicted by every party who have an inkling on how China's game market operates. The costs of the consoles themselves aren't the problem - there are lots of families who can spare a few thousand yuan on one. The real problem is that it's hard to convince Chinese gamers to pay full price on games and software. After all, the concerns about piracy are why most local game developers have moved to a F2P model.

It depends on what you mean by "mass success" of consoles in China. In the years where consoles were banned, they still managed six-figures in yearly grey market sales. I believe that the ban started in 2000, so any figures from before that date would be irrelevant for our purposes.

well, I'd say selling to 2% of the population would be a relative "mass success." even selling to 1% would be a massive success.

gconsole

Even 1% is possible. It's all about market adoption rate. With the scale of China it's no longer about the ability to afford this thing (there are more than enough middle/high class combine who can purchase the console). It's only that the console market never been officially present there. I know there is grey market just like any other part of Asia. But now the console market get official pushed and promoted. There are plenty of space there for console to expand. I can't wait when it become at least a bit more mainstream. That will affect the console industry a lot.

Look at Hollywood for example. There was no big budge hollywood movie there before too (all movie in the past got intensively restrict and censor by the gov). Only within 5 years, the highest gross hollywood movie each year goes from somewhere around 30M to now 300M. The market is enermous. And there is no exception for console. Just a matter of time (and of course the right push to create a market there)

Donos

good old Hindle was one of the people putting hope into China and saying that because they hate Japan, Xb1 will fare way better than ps4

Top Bottom