• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This year feels smoother than last years already. Looks like they improved loading.

This version has proper multi-threading support, so it should be smoother and faster for most people.

Just noticed add-ons/mods are handled through Steam Workshop now, at least with the Steam version of the game.

Dougefresh

Neo Member
After messing around with the game and in lieu of how complex and time consuming being general manager is i have decided to resign as general manager. It has been a short yet historic run as general manager of the New York Yankees and it is a time i will never forget. Yet due to other such commitments i must formally submit my resignation. For me this is a sad day in my life but when one door closes another one does open. I wanted to say thank you to the fans and the other gms of this league for giving me the opportunity and i will be forever grateful. I wish you all the best in the upcoming season and the years to come.

Sincerely,
Dougefresh
Former General Manager of the New York Yankees

After messing around with the game and in lieu of how complex and time consuming being general manager is i have decided to resign as general manager. It has been a short yet historic run as general manager of the New York Yankees and it is a time i will never forget. Yet due to other such commitments i must formally submit my resignation. For me this is a sad day in my life but when one door closes another one does open. I wanted to say thank you to the fans and the other gms of this league for giving me the opportunity and i will be forever grateful. I wish you all the best in the upcoming season and the years to come.

Sincerely,
Dougefresh

I felt the same way at first glance last year but just hire people you can "trust" and you can mostly let them take care of stuff for you. It becomes less daunting after that and for me, it actually invited me to learn about the game at my own pace.

Dougefresh

Neo Member
I felt the same way at first glance last year but just hire people you can "trust" and you can mostly let them take care of stuff for you. It becomes less daunting after that and for me, it actually invited me to learn about the game at my own pace.

You are making me want to retract my resignation

chairon

Neo Member
So had a night to figure out where my squad stands and a lot has happened in 4 years. Basically all of the staples are gone (Edwin, Joey, Donaldson, Tulo, Martin, etc), and it doesn't appear much was received in return. That being said, the farm system is pretty strong and Rowdy Tellez led the league in HR last year!

I'm very excited to join the league and look forward to turning this ship around.

brentech

Alright you convinced me. I'll get it later tonight

Didn't somebody take the Dodgers?
FMT just did, I believe!

Sincerely,
Dougefresh

Think it over and get back with me. You don't have to play the game, but realize that after getting set up, there is literally like a 5 minute time commitment...and you don't even have to do that every day.
But, I understand the frustration of the game not working with ease right out of the gate. If you really do want off the Yankees, please confirm after some further thought and I'll do so. We've had a couple people, like Ph33, leave and comeback after realizing you don't have to control everything. Take it in stride.

Yeah for example I have a ton of positional coaches to hire around my minor leagues. It feels like a lot of work to go down the list and see who's interested and then offer each one contracts. So I've decided to hire an assistant GM and I will allow him to do this!

At first I left my minor leagues alone and spent enough time learning and observing that eventually I said fuck what my assistant GM and started overriding him, promoting guys when I wanted and where.

I mean, I realize we're in a quiet part of the season, but everything feels pretty damned straight forward right now. You need to work through arbitration for guys you are interested in keeping around, hire management personnel to fill in gaps or improve, and then start scouting free agents or look for potential trades.

I've got a lot of high draft picks stored up, so once we reach the point where the game creates those guys, I'll start pouring through those options and fixing my roster. I have no clue how the draft process works in OOTP, so looking forward to that.

One question for the vets: during arbitration, how accurate are the projected numbers the game assigns to offers? I'm seriously considering knocking several of them down a good deal, and even withdrawing a couple of offers altogether. There are a couple of eligible guys who plain stink, and I can't see committing money their way.

Bog

Junior Ace
I totally low-balled Ventura, so I wasn't surprised to no longer see him in the list of available managers.

One question for the vets: during arbitration, how accurate are the projected numbers the game assigns to offers? I'm seriously considering knocking several of them down a good deal, and even withdrawing a couple of offers altogether. There are a couple of eligible guys who plain stink, and I can't see committing money their way.

It really varies, can't say I've figured it out. I just low ball everyone and hope for the best lol

Dougefresh

Neo Member
FMT just did, I believe!

Think it over and get back with me. You don't have to play the game, but realize that after getting set up, there is literally like a 5 minute time commitment...and you don't even have to do that every day.
But, I understand the frustration of the game not working with ease right out of the gate. If you really do want off the Yankees, please confirm after some further thought and I'll do so. We've had a couple people, like Ph33, leave and comeback after realizing you don't have to control everything. Take it in stride.

even after downloading the latest league file my date was still the 7th. I wonder what the issue is?

It really varies, can't say I've figured it out. I just low ball everyone and hope for the best lol

I've won my fair share of arb cases. I don't pay more than $1m per WAR for a guy if at all possible.

I totally low-balled Ventura, so I wasn't surprised to no longer see him in the list of available managers.

You're totally going to love the experience of massively low-balling an international FA.

I've lost almost all my offers and I have often reduced them by not much.

You're totally going to love the experience of massively low-balling an international FA.

I'm playing a single player franchise with the Royals to get a feel for the game. Admittedly, I haven't progressed very far, but I did get to experience the international FA fun. Dudes have insane bonus signing expectations. One guy is trying to get MVP money for his 19 year old ass, and starting a bidding war. He says I'm insulting him and he wants to take care of his family. You do you, buddy. I'm out.

Here's my setup. Been to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years. 5-10 minutes daily.

Roster Moves - Me
Transactions - Me
Initiate and React to Trades - Me

Setting Lineups/Depth/Pitching - Manager

Minor League Signings - Assistant GM
Minor League Promotions - Assistant GM

Minor League Lineups/Depth/Pitching - Minor league managers

I only focus primarily on the big picture major league stuff. Delegate the detail to the AI, where I hire the best I can no matter the cost.

This thing is only overwhelming if you want it to be.

I mean, I realize we're in a quiet part of the season, but everything feels pretty damned straight forward right now. You need to work through arbitration for guys you are interested in keeping around, hire management personnel to fill in gaps or improve, and then start scouting free agents or look for potential trades.

Yep. Also, watch the waiver wire.

I've got a lot of high draft picks stored up, so once we reach the point where the game creates those guys, I'll start pouring through those options and fixing my roster. I have no clue how the draft process works in OOTP, so looking forward to that.

Hire a great scout. Process itself is fairly straightforward, but your draft will be garbage if your scout is garbage.

One question for the vets: during arbitration, how accurate are the projected numbers the game assigns to offers?

Pretty good. But you should only offer that much if you're willing to sign the player to an extension. If you are, just go that way rather than go through arbitration.

I'm seriously considering knocking several of them down a good deal

Only issue with that is if you go too low, the arbitrator could side in favor of the player, and then you're paying full price.

and even withdrawing a couple of offers altogether. There are a couple of eligible guys who plain stink, and I can't see committing money their way.

Always do that with a few guys every year. A 20 or 25 player really isn't worth arbitration in a majority of cases. Plenty of free agents or minor leaguers in your system that will give you similar production at a much lower cost.

I set all my lineups from top to bottom, but for me that's a lot of fun and I don't mind spending the time doing it.

It certainly hasn't helped me win more than anyone else though, so don't look at it as a massive advantage.

I generally let the CPU deal with my minors. I occasionally override them on certain prospects regarding the level they should be playing, and there's always a few guys I'm teaching new positions in the minors. If you're unfamiliar with OOTP, you can go to a player's page, select actions > player strategy, and from there there's a lot of different things you can play with. I usually adjust steal frequency, lock players to their current minor league level, and set position.

So if you have a guy that's a below average SS in your minors, but might hit enough to play in the bigs, you can force him to play 2B, 3B, or even the OF if he has the ratings for it and he'll eventually develop there. You can move anyone anywhere, but how well they learn the position is pretty accurate to real life. You're not going to be able to move a bad LF to CF or a bad 1B to SS. If you have the CPU adjust your minors, all the player strategies you set will be taken into account.

I personally will change player's primary position if they are amazing defensively at something besides their primary. Like why would you let a guy be a 30 rating CFer when he's a 70 rating LFer? Defensive ratings are stupid important in OOTP. I've extracted some serious value out of guys like AJ Pollock and Lorenzo Cain who were like 80ish wRC+ players but had 3+ win season because of their defense.

Just ignoring WAR calculations, the way the simulation engine seems to work is that having elite defensive players will benefit your pitching staff a lot as well, of course you have to pair the right kind of defensive players and pitchers (ie if you have flyball guys and good outfielders you'll get better results).

Of course you still have to have some offense, otherwise you end up like me, perpetually just out of the playoffs.

Defensive ratings are stupid important in OOTP. I've extracted some serious value out of guys like AJ Pollock and Lorenzo Cain who were like 80ish wRC+ players but had 3+ win season because of their defense.

Kiermaier had a +21.3 ZR in CF last year. Pollock +15.7. Damn, that's a huge Zone Rating (run value that the player's defensive performance is worth, 0 being average).

Can't find a way to get to ZR leaders on the website reports, but you're not kidding about guys like Pollock. Looking back, I should have tried to trade for him too lol.

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Current in-game date: Nov. 14, 2019
Notes: Continue to get used to the game and work out your arbitration players, who you want to keep, and team staffing.

PistolPete retakes GM duties of the Rockies.
This leaves the following 6 teams available: White Sox, Nationals, Phillies, Reds, Pirates, Padres.

even after downloading the latest league file my date was still the 7th. I wonder what the issue is?

I would go into your the league's setting folder. Delete everything, and update with my updated settings zip: http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/league/gobl_settings.zip

Then, load OOTP and try today's update.

Rommel

Kiermaier had a +21.3 ZR in CF last year. Pollock +15.7. Damn, that's a huge Zone Rating (run value that the player's defensive performance is worth, 0 being average).

Can't find a way to get to ZR leaders on the website reports, but you're not kidding about guys like Pollock. Looking back, I should have tried to trade for him too lol.

Yup, looking at Pollock's rating in OOTP17 it makes me sad I didn't get that version to start with :(

Yep. Also, watch the waiver wire.

Hire a great scout. Process itself is fairly straightforward, but your draft will be garbage if your scout is garbage.

Pretty good. But you should only offer that much if you're willing to sign the player to an extension. If you are, just go that way rather than go through arbitration.

Only issue with that is if you go too low, the arbitrator could side in favor of the player, and then you're paying full price.

Always do that with a few guys every year. A 20 or 25 player really isn't worth arbitration in a majority of cases. Plenty of free agents or minor leaguers in your system that will give you similar production at a much lower cost.

All great tips. Thanks!

Yeah Pollock didn't quite give me what I hoped for offensively but he was still great defensively (when healthy).

The two positions that matter the most defensively are CF and SS. 2B helps a decent amount as well if you have a ground ball staff, but either way CF and SS seem to matter the most, or maybe it is just because of my park.

You can succeed with a bad defensive team, if they hit like Texas.

Rommel

Brent, could you run Jake Lamb through the trade-o-matic for me?

Of note Jake Lamb might be available if anyone needs a 3B signed at a reasonable rate!

brentech

Brent, could you run Jake Lamb through the trade-o-matic for me?

Of note Jake Lamb might be available if anyone needs a 3B signed at a reasonable rate!
As I told some others, I won't be running CPU player sims until a week or so when we're basically done bringing in new people to the league.

Bryce Carter available from the Mets. D Arnaud got Catcher locked down. Zack Collins was another 80 grade catcher moved him to first.
Also, SPs might be available. Send those offers.

Bryce Carter available from the Mets. D Arnaud got Catcher locked down. Zack Collins was another 80 grade catcher moved him to first.
Also, SPs might be available. Send those offers.

I'll take a look when I get home. I need some pitching, but it would need to be a good deal. Hell, I need everything.

My owner is going to be so pissed when I purposefully tank this season and next with my rebuilding plan.

ok i got everything updated. do you have to add me to the dodgers? i logged into the league and saw someone already had them assigned as well. not sure what to do next doe

brentech

In this regard, I'm going to need all new managers that didn't transition from OOTP16 to make an export today or tomorrow to lay real claim to their teams.
While you don't have to export every day to be an 'active' member of the league, you do need to show up for your first day at the office.

If you can't get something to work, let me know.

This version has proper multi-threading support, so it should be smoother and faster for most people.

Just noticed add-ons/mods are handled through Steam Workshop now, at least with the Steam version of the game.

Thank god. I'm not getting the unresponsive issues anymore either.

I'm still unloading some players so if there is someone interesting on my team (not named trout) let me know.

My owner is going to be so pissed when I purposefully tank this season and next with my rebuilding plan.

Owners are dumb. I try to ignore mine as much as possible. I recall he wanted me to rebuild, and I looked at Springer, Singleton, Correa and so on - all younger than 27 at the time as was just 'yeah, no'.

Mine wants me to acquire a 'Cy Young' Pitcher. I'm pretttttttty sure my rotation is loaded enough already, I'm going to have to make room for Ynoa at some point too.

Another tip for newbies, if you go to Team->Player Info->Minor League System report you can get a nice list from your scout of all your minor leaguers including suggestions on guys who may be ready to be promoted or demoted. It's not an exact science by any means but it is a decent guideline.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Another tip for newbies, if you go to Team->Player Info->Minor League System report you can get a nice list from your scout of all your minor leaguers including suggestions on guys who may be ready to be promoted or demoted. It's not an exact science by any means but it is a decent guideline.

It should also be noted that some scouts are better at minor league scouting than others. That said, your scouts are almost always going to have different ratings to OSA and in general you should usually trust your scout staff over OSA.

It should also be noted that some scouts are better at minor league scouting than others. That said, your scouts are almost always going to have different ratings to OSA and in general you should usually trust your scout staff over OSA.

Furthermore, scouts differ wildly from one to the next. That's why I always give several names in trade discussions and hope the other party doesn't get offended if I named guys they think are awesome. I have no idea what another scout thinks.

Top Bottom