• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenCritic wants to take a stand against loot boxes

Qassim

Eh, I'm no fan of loot-boxes, but I personally think a review aggregator should be impartial and avoid editorialising the results of the aggregation too much.

I'm happy to have that information surfaced, but the wording they're using suggestions they're taking a 'side' - which is something I mostly wouldn't want a review aggregator to do.

Azusa

What next? Why stop at loot boxes?

List "how long to beat" hours and hours/price values. Then add information about locked pre order content and dont forget to mention DRM and if the game has always online requirement...

Also will they mark all CCG with loot boxes label or its will be used only for AAA games that they feel right to add it?

Interesting to see how they will implement it and how they ensure that information is 100% correct.

_Ryo_

nvm. It was a shit idea. I am just glad they're going to try to do something as I genuinely believe that the public need to be more easily and readily informed about such nasty practices that publishers like to pull off..

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member
Is OpenCritic taken seriously by the industry at all?

They have a partnership with Humble to show their aggregate scores/review quotes on Humble Store pages. They're slowly becoming more and more relevant.

I don't think it's ever going to have the same amount of traction that Metacritic has, but hey, you never know — there was a point where GameRankings was more popular than Metacritic but nowadays I'm sure there's people who have no idea what GameRankings is.

jryeje29

Slowly but surely, good on them, we don't want companies to not make more money we know it's a business we just want it to be transparent, as fair to the consumer as can be, and earned.

jayu26

Is OpenCritic taken seriously by the industry at all?
This is one of the ways for them to differentiate and get more gamers to look at Opencritic over Metacritic. If gamers start putting more trust on Opencritics score than Metacritic score because of things like this than industry will have to take them more seriously. At the end of the day as much as it will helps the consumers, it might also help their business. Good things all around.

Lucifon

Great move, we need more sites to do this. Unfortunately I don't feel like OpenCritic hold that much weight yet. I mainly see them pop up when people are wondering when review embargos drop as opposed to actual aggregate data.

RulkezX

Maybe they could consider testing automatically decreasing the score a certain percentage for each game based of whether it has, loot boxes, microtransactions ,and combinations each mechanic?

There are pretty obvious reasons why this is a complete non starter, the main one being they'd be altering the review scores of a review someone else did.

This is one of the ways for them to differentiate and get more gamers to look at Opencritic over Metacritic. If gamers start putting more trust on Opencritics score than Metacritic score because of things like this than industry will have to take them more seriously. At the end of the day as much as it will helps the consumers, it might also help their business. Good things all around.

The scores will still be exactly the same.

I know some of you are getting excited at big bad AAA getting marked down, but the only way this can feasibly work is a simple *has lootbox* tag beside the review.

The minute they started changing other sites reviews based on how OC rates micro transactions, other sites would simply start banning their work being used in the site.

List "how long to beat" hours and hours/price values. Then add information about locked pre order content and dont forget to mention DRM and if the game has always online requirement...

This.

I can check GAF for the news about Lootboxes in games but this info would be good.

LordRaptor

I questioned why OpenCritic needed to compile a dossier on a review site.
Today I question why OpenCritic need to "take a stand" against this months moral panic.

Fantastic idea.

I hope the backlash against this scummy business method continues. It's a giant cancer of the industry.

Good work OpenCritic.

Shari

Sooo... Why?

I mean okay, do whatever you want with your website, but it feels like it's creators decided that Forza's and Middle-earth's scores are too high so they try to prevent people from buying these games.

If someone uses Opencritic instead of Metacritic, he's definitely not an average consumer. He already knows about this stuff, lootboxes etc.

I agree, this sets a dangerous precedent for the site in terms of fairness. Not their job.

I'm not against giving visibility but who determines if a business model is intrusive or not? I'm not bothered by mordor's implementation but there's plenty of people here that is, so who decides to put the label or not?

This is overstepping from open critic and while I agree with the cause I dont think it's their job to do this.

Edit: DRM label is perfect in comparison, that's a boolean and its fact, it has or it hasnt. A "dangerous business model label" (whether that is lootboxes or otherwise) it's in many ways tied to the opinion of an individual and thus I dont think its a good idea.

Lylo

Sooo... Why?

I mean okay, do whatever you want with your website, but it feels like it's creators decided that Forza's and Middle-earth's scores are too high so they try to prevent people from buying these games.

If someone uses Opencritic instead of Metacritic, he's definitely not an average consumer. He already knows about this stuff, lootboxes etc.

No offense friend, but why would you complain that a review aggregator is willing to provide important information about a game that the publisher would often omit? I mean, it's a plus, review aggregators usually don't have that kind of info, i get it, but i can't see the problem if they want to feed the users with more information.

Alienous

This needs to be a ESRB/PEGI -type thing to curb it at all.

If a game has microtransactions the type/severity should be marked clearly on every game case and digital storefront. And, just like an ESRB rating, all patches/DLC cannot exceed that initial rating.

Good on OpenCritic in any case.

Shari

No offense friend, but why would you complain that a review aggregator is willing to provide important information about a game that the publisher would often omit? I mean, it's a plus, review aggregators usually don't have that kind of info, i get it, but i can't see the problem if they want to feed the users with more information.

Information, yes, interpretation, absolutely not. This is another form of "curation".

Again, read their tweets, this is not a label for lootboxes, this is a label for "dangerous business model". Who gets to be the judge of that?

Why is this a negative exactly? They already provide information about the genre and the publisher for every game, why would more information about their loot boxes be any different? The iOS atore had to do this as well when games with in game purchases started running amok.

benzopil

Then don't call it a "review aggregator". Post info about lenght, engine, price etc. Why just lootboxes?

You can also add info about optimization. Like Unity games are often poorly optimized on PS4.

Famassu

If possible, I guess they could also include how much all the DLC that can be bought at a set cost costs all in all, non-sale prices and "as of *insert date*"

Qassim

I don't think people have any strong issue with the addition of objective truths (e.g. a list of 'features'. which would include lootboxes, etc). It's that they're picking a side - they're "taking a stand against loot boxes".

I don't think it's on a review aggregator to take a stand against anything like that and it makes me question their trustworthiness if they do believe it's their job.

Im glad they're doing this, but it says alot that they have to do this in the first place, reviewers are not docking points for free to play progression in 60 dollar games (with season passes).

Im not trying to rip all the press, but they dropped the ball here, badly.

RulkezX

Exactly, what a nonsense way of them phrasing it to clearly take advantage of the hyperbole going around

It's pretty transparent. They know their audience is the type of person that posts on places like GAF and love their little industry dramas. Can't really blame them for trying to exploit it too drive traffic to their site.

MrS

Banned
Any game with paid gambling mechanics should slapped with an 18 certificate/AO rating. Then we'll see how long publishers keep pushing this bullshit on us.

Seyfert

nice to see some big player in industry take on into this ongoing issue. can't wait to see how it go.

Maximus P

Seems way outside of their wheelhouse and kind of goes against the notion of them being merely a neutral aggregator.

This.

I'd applaud review sites for adding as much info as possible, but this just feels like opencritic are trying to jump on this weeks popular topic to look like the 'good guy'

REV 09

we're actually getting free mp maps now though which means not fracturing the player base. This is a huge win.

As long as loot boxes aren't pay-to-win, i don't see a problem with them. The devs need to make money somehow to keep games going. It's better than selling map packs.

RulkezX

Any game with paid gambling mechanics should slapped with an 18 certificate/AO rating. Then we'll see how long publishers keep pushing this bullshit on us.

The companies have teams of lawyers that have assured them it's not illegal. I mean it's been explained 100 times just on GAF how a purchase that has a 100% win rate by definition isn't gambling anymore than Pokemon or Magic cards are.

nice to see some big player in industry take on into this ongoing issue. can't wait to see how it go.

Judging by the amount of people defending the exploitation of gambling addictions im gonna say it wont do much.

EA is laughing their asses off reading these threads, they dont even have to pay community managers or PR to defend this.

Let's just call this as what it is. Propaganda.

I am not against this practice. I am just saying people embracing this policy should also be at least open minded when reviewers, gaming sites, or score sites take a stance in some issues.

Top Bottom