• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenCritic wants to take a stand against loot boxes

Well that’s one way to ensure that OpenCritic remains completely irrelevant to the industry at large.

It's defied the odds and become a somewhat standard along side Metacritic, but you know, not being assholes at their jobs. They fight the good fight for the good of the industry and for the consumers at large. If anything, this will probably bring them more attention, and in a good way.

Seems weird to do this with loot boxes and not all the other anti-consumer stuff going on already. Are they going to have indicators for exclusive DLC, premium memberships/season passes, blocking cross-platform play, games that cut content to release as paid DLC, and review embargoes that try to minimize information for consumers before release?

Good.

Everything that can inform better the gaming community regarding these practices and the actual content behind this is a good initiative (having DLC, Season Pass information would be nice too).

Ryuuga

Banned
giphy.gif

megalowho

I like this idea a lot. Maybe something like a Red/Yellow/Green light indicator noting the intrusiveness of additional payment options, with a few lines of text stating factually what mechanics are included.

I honestly think this is a great middle-ground! Having an aggregate site capturing this information seems like the best approach rather than expecting all individual outlets to cover it in-depth.

My only concern stems from the amount of mis-information we've had around loot boxes recently. If they're going all-in on this, I'd hope they plan on waiting until the game releases to make definitive statements.

DrArchon

Good.

If only this was on the sites where people actually buy games. I want to be able to look at a game's Steam store page and see what (if any) kinds of microtransactions that game has.

Bydobob

Well that’s one way to ensure that OpenCritic remains completely irrelevant to the industry at large.

Well this decision has made it entirely relevant from my end as a consumer. Little by little there is a backlash building, I'm pretty sure this isn't going unnoticed by publishers.

8byte

Banned
I mean, more info is always great but...is this really a big problem?

I mean, don't loot boxes typically mean developers are delivering more content on a more regular basis at no cost to consumers if they so choose? Especially incases where the core gameplay is not altered, it's simply cosmetic nonsense. I guess I'm just not seeing the reason to take a stand "against" them, but my only exposure to them has been overwatch, and I've only ever purchased boxes for that once. Otherwise it's felt fairly reasonable to me.

Someone fill me in on the rest of the industry, or the evils of loot boxes (honestly, I'm ignorant to the problem presented here).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They've already shown their hand by saying they're "taking a stand against," but putting informative flags on a game's page is a fine idea. If they're going to adjust the scores based on these flags then they're fucking up.

Still, people have made the good point that if you're going to flag loot boxes why not flag a ton of other things? And can that be done without creating a logistical nightmare?

This is a step in the right direction, good on them. This information should be way more visible than it is right now, especially for people outside communities like GAF.

Forward

The companies have teams of lawyers that have assured them it's not illegal. I mean it's been explained 100 times just on GAF how a purchase that has a 100% win rate by definition isn't gambling anymore than Pokemon or Magic cards are.

Because legal is the definition of ethical.

I would love for such to be the case.

But legal these days (ie recorded history) just means that the rich and powerful can use the government to forcibly punish those who do not capitulate to their evil machinations, more often than not. Particularly within the spheres of "business".

Fuck legal. I want correct, humane behavior.

molnizzle

It's defied the odds and become a somewhat standard along side Metacritic, but you know, not being assholes at their jobs. They fight the good fight for the good of the industry and for the consumers at large. If anything, this will probably bring them more attention, and in a good way.

Become somewhat of a standard? Where? NeoGAF review threads?

The actual movers and shakers of the industry couldn’t care less about it. It’s a fan site trying to appeal to a vocal minority of “hardcore” fans.

Everything they do reeks of desperation.

Akronis

Then don't call it a "review aggregator". Post info about lenght, engine, price etc. Why just lootboxes?

Read the tweet. It's not just lootboxes, it's any kind of business model bullshit.

And I agree, having info about game length, engine used, and price would be nice to have in one place.

8byte

Banned
Because legal is the definition of ethical.

I would love for such to be the case.

But legal these days (ie recorded history) just means that the rich and powerful can use the government to forcibly punish those who do not capitulate to their evil machinations, more often than not. Particularly within the spheres of "business".

Fuck legal. I want correct, humane behavior.

...we are talking about VIDEO GAMES...right?

Ashtar

It's funny that this is framed as "talking a stand" against lootboxes, When it's actually just adding information

The point is to be relevant to consumers not the industry.

It would also be much easier to pressure Metacritic into displaying this information once Opencritic has it. They don't have to "take a stand" against anything, just offer relevant information to consumers, which is basically what their business is all about.

Gestault

I think this is a brilliant move for them. I know the digital game marketplaces generally implement a "This game contains additional microtransactions," but I think it's in consumer interests having similar tags (and discerning between content DLC and consumable microtransactions) right alongside review collections.

Seems weird to do this with loot boxes and not all the other anti-consumer stuff going on already. Are they going to have indicators for exclusive DLC, premium memberships/season passes, blocking cross-platform play, games that cut content to release as paid DLC, and review embargoes that try to minimize information for consumers before release?

Not really. With all those things you pay for what you want. With loot crates you pay the privilege of a chance at what you want.

Garjon

It's a start, I suppose.

Personally, at a minimum, I'd like a law that forces publishers to indicate on the front cover whether the game contains loot crates etc

Tiops

That's great. More information is always good, and I'm really struggling to understand why some users here are seeing it in a negative way. We really need to stop trying to defend the industry, and look at our interests first.

Thankfully it remains relevant to us as customers.

Top Bottom