• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

Are battle medics effective in this game? What's the best equipment for that?

You attack groups rather than individual enemies. There are means to select a target, like an Archer skill.

Pretty much.

yeah targets are by groups not individuals

at start just focus on leveling as more useful spells come out later. the weapons the academic gets are fairly useless too lol. later on they will be one of the main pillars of party support so just stick with it and most def will pay off!

gp is rough at start esp due to having to pay for identification of items. which is why having an academic will help save a ton of cash once you gain the identify spell.

early items will get replaced fairly fast but just for that little extra boost you can upgrade your existing equipment.

also breaking down equipment you dont want will give you back some materials and the junk data in case for whatever reason you want to craft it again

Thanks guys, I'm just kinda going "with my balls" as I play. I just took on what seems to be the first main quest and damn if these floors don't have a lot to explore lol.

I must be doing this wrong, I have a wizard but don't use her spells because of how limited their use is. Is there a way of replenishing it in the dungeons without resting in the academy? Cuz if so, only my front row is doing damage while my back row guards

CrovaxPSO

I must be doing this wrong, I have a wizard but don't use her spells because of how limited their use is. Is there a way of replenishing it in the dungeons without resting in the academy? Cuz if so, only my front row is doing damage while my back row guards

No, spells are just limited early on. You'll get more soon enough.

Hubb

That's how I have been handling the start of the game. The spells seem to do a good amount of damage so I can see why they don't want you spamming them at the start. No idea when/if it gets better, but I assume it does.

Shizuka

I didn't use my Wizard for most of the game, just defended and used enfloat.

No, spells are just limited early on. You'll get more soon enough.
Ah I see thanks. My whole back row feels completely useless ATM.

That's how I have been handling the start of the game. The spells seem to do a good amount of damage so I can see why they don't want you spamming them at the start. No idea when/if it gets better, but I assume it does.
Yeah all I do is explore and when a battle pops up I just hold X to victory lol.

I didn't use my Wizard for most of the game, just defended and used enfloat.
Like my academic now, I just use her to inspect stuff and disarm traps.

JPS Kai

Yeah all I do is explore and when a battle pops up I just hold X to victory lol.

Invest in basic stuff like a boomerang or rocket punch if you want a small damage boost. Once your academic gets to 15, you're golden.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

yeah generally thats how the rear rows are for a while in more traditional wizardry games lol.

unless you have a backrow attacker like an archer or assassin using throwing stars.

Wait until she gets Brain Spire, she'll be able to fill your Unity meter every turn.

yeah generally thats how the rear rows are for a while in more traditional wizardry games lol.

unless you have a backrow attacker like an archer or assassin using throwing stars.

Sounds good, I'll need to keep playing then. I'm still stuck on this mission, I believe I missed a trigger of some sort and I've pretty much explored all 3 floors and still can't find a way to unlock the door on the 25th floor. I need to stop playing for today lol

EDIT: OMFG A HIDDEN DOOR. FFS.

Hikami

Finally out of character creation..
Ended up just watching some Youtube videos as I tried to get the best stat re-rolls.

Parakeetman

Sounds good, I'll need to keep playing then. I'm still stuck on this mission, I believe I missed a trigger of some sort and I've pretty much explored all 3 floors and still can't find a way to unlock the door on the 25th floor. I need to stop playing for today lol

EDIT: OMFG A HIDDEN DOOR. FFS.

haha nice and congrats with finding the door

Started the game earlier and damn it's overwhelming :0 love it though

yeah there most def is a lot to learn at the start.

at least all the fighting got you loot resources and exp lol
Yeah and the funny thing is that I was so overlevelled too. Also the game just showed me tutorials of stuff that I figured out hours ago, when I was complaining about there not being much help. I was stuck going in circles for so long that I learned everything that they could have taught me lol.

Well one thing is for sure, after spending this long with the game I finally "get it". There are certain things that I don't pay too much attention to in the stats such as the alignment and whatnot, but I understand how the game works mechanically, how to restock my supplies, and the search for materials that will allow me to craft new equipment. The dungeons are intricate, and interesting. It took a while, so I can definitely see why reviewers might have a hard time with the game. You have to really look for your info in the game, and most of the stuff you have to figure out yourself with experimentation.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My limited Edition is "out for delivery" :D can't wait. Usually it takes 8 more hours until the delivery guy from dpd arrives.

Seda

Wrapped up the main story tonight. The game is solid - I give Operation Abyss the edge over Demon Gaze. I need to sleep on it some, but I felt it was more cohesive start to finish (the stylish aesthetic and setting were a plus, too). In many regards it was actually a little more standard in structure, despite the technobabble-ish lingo and such. Class system, dungeon designs, mission structure never become too overwrought - although I think I would have liked the dungeons to become a little more intricate than they ended up being.

For most of the game, I didn't feel challenged much. Nearing the end I started blitzing through objectives and missions and eventually the difficulty caught up with me. I had to set aside just a bit of time right before the final stretch to boost/tailor my party. Otherwise, the game was pretty painless - a little less troublesome than Demon Gaze.

Will definitely be checking out the post-game tomorrow.

Parakeetman

Wrapped up the main story tonight. The game is solid - I give Operation Abyss the edge over Demon Gaze. I need to sleep on it some, but I felt it was more cohesive start to finish (the stylish aesthetic and setting were a plus, too). In many regards it was actually a little more standard in structure, despite the technobabble-ish lingo and such. Class system, dungeon designs, mission structure never become too overwrought - although I think I would have liked the dungeons to become a little more intricate than they ended up being.

For most of the game, I didn't feel challenged much. Nearing the end I started blitzing through objectives and missions and eventually the difficulty caught up with me. I had to set aside just a bit of time right before the final stretch to boost/tailor my party. Otherwise, the game was pretty painless - a little less troublesome than Demon Gaze.

Will definitely be checking out the post-game tomorrow.

very cool write up good to hear that you enjoyed your experience so far.

I love this game so far, not that I'm far in. Currently running around with a party of F: Knight, Samurai, Archer; B: Wizard, Physician, Academic. I think I'll be swapping the archer to the back in place of the academic, and then putting an Assassin in the front row though.

My party is only level 2 right now though, so who knows what'll happen in the long run. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, is PHYS super crucial, or can I get away with leaving it below 10 for my back row?

Parakeetman

I love this game so far, not that I'm far in. Currently running around with a party of F: Knight, Samurai, Archer; B: Wizard, Physician, Academic. I think I'll be swapping the archer to the back in place of the academic, and then putting an Assassin in the front row though.

My party is only level 2 right now though, so who knows what'll happen in the long run. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, is PHYS super crucial, or can I get away with leaving it below 10 for my back row?

get phys up to at least 14-15

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Because the Nisa store did not wrap my ordner good enough one of the corners of the limited edition and one of the art book is smashed -_-...

So I'll have to read how much fun you guys have >>..

Edit: Nisa support is incredible. wrote an email 25 minutes ago and already the problem is solved, I can start play the game and "OK, what I shall do is request a new Limited Edition Box and Art Book to be sent out to you tomorrow. I will ask our fulfilment team to double check those items to ensure that they are in pristine condition before sending them to you."

Really enjoying this so far.

I like that gear can be acquired from random battles complete and "broken".
The magic circle in Demon Gaze was neat at first, but all too often I felt like I had to look up a guide to have a chance at specific weapons/skills. This game keeps it simple with drops.

It's weird though. I've played waaaaaaaay more Wizardry clones than the actual Wizardry series.

Jolkien

Ok so I'm really new to this type of game. I started creating my party but I can't figure out how to see or assign them classes. I wanted to use the setup recommended by the OP.

Shizuka

They make fair points. Those were exactly my impressions until I understood how the game works. Everything he says is valid. This game isn't for everyone.

The thing is players nowadays want the game to explain everything. Not all games are going to do that and it's up to the players if they want to figure it out themselves or just dismiss it altogether. As a reviewer, you have to point that out, but you have to give it a fair chance before dismissing it without even trying.

Saphirax

Ok so I'm really new to this type of game. I started creating my party but I can't figure out how to see or assign them classes. I wanted to use the setup recommended by the OP.

When you're assigning stat points you'll see some portraits below. Those are the classes.

Really enjoying this so far.

I like that gear can be acquired from random battles complete and "broken".
The magic circle in Demon Gaze was neat at first, but all too often I felt like I had to look up a guide to have a chance at specific weapons/skills. This game keeps it simple with drops.

It's weird though. I've played waaaaaaaay more Wizardry clones than the actual Wizardry series.

so i really enjoyed demon gaze but this kind of killed it for me and I haven't played it in months because of it.

They streamlined this then? I'd love to pick this up if so

If you selected basic mode, it pretty much gives you that setup off the bat. The thing is to see their "class" you have to look at their Blood, and read the description to see which one you fall into. Also, on your stats, I believe next to your level you will see a letter such as "K" or "W" or "Ac" and those would correspond to Knight, Warrior and Academic respectively.

The thing is players nowadays want the game to explain everything. Not all games are going to do that and it's up to the players if they want to figure it out themselves or just dismiss it altogether. As a reviewer, you have to point that out, but you have to give it a fair chance before dismissing it without even trying.
I'm not defending the reviewer by any means since he should his homework, but this game is old, it's just that it has a fresh coat of paint of top. Mechanically, it is a bit clunky and complex, the pretty visuals are there but this is an old school game. Demon Gaze for instance was much easier, and the mechanics were simpler to understand in my opinion but it came before this game. Maybe the reviewer forgot that this isn't a sequel to it and that is why the mechanics felt odd and old to him.

Saphirax

Finished the game today. Only have the post game content left to clear. I've enjoyed the game immensely, more so than Demon Gaze. I honestly believe I screwed up my DG playthrough - my samurai was useless by the time I reached the end game and I had to replace him. Boss fights felt really luck based; hoping Mars would survive and dish out her OP damage on the bosses.

Not sure how to put it, but - I guess I feel more in control in OA. I've yet to encounter any hair pulling moments. Although, I do have to admit I had to peruse the Japanese wiki more than once. The game could do with slightly less obtuseness, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Jolkien

Thanks for your answers guys. I'm exploring Gatuko Sewers and there's a locked door, do I have to spam X on each square on the map to look for a switch or are they visible on the walls when you walk by them ?

Thanks for your answers guys. I'm exploring Gatuko Sewers and there's a locked door, do I have to spam X on each square on the map to look for a switch or are they visible on the walls when you walk by them ?

I think you need an Academic to get past there. I had to go back and add one to my party to proceed. It's a good idea to do so though, so you can start to identify stuff for free.

Jolkien

I think you need an Academic to get past there. I had to go back and add one to my party to proceed. It's a good idea to do so though, so you can start to identify stuff for free.

I have one. I explored the two sewers side, my academics found a secret door with an item but there's still a locked gate.

Nevermind, had to talk to people in two places. Got the hint by trying to turn in the quest.

people

Very often, but not always, one of your party members will 'sense something hidden nearby' (or some similar wording) when there is something that needs revealing. Not sure what/where the exact solution to your current problem is.

Also, some locked doors require a Key Tool, they are indicated by a yellow marker, doors that need a switch are marked red, doors that can be unlocked by skill/luck are marked purple. Note that doors with keys (yellow) typically need to be unlocked again upon subsequent visits.

Edit: Just read you solved it.

I have one. I explored the two sewers side, my academics found a secret door with an item but there's still a locked gate.

Nevermind, had to talk to people in two places. Got the hint by trying to turn in the quest.

Ooooohhhh. My bad. I didn't realize that had to be done to unlock the door. I must've done it before trying the door in the first place. =/

Finished the game today. Only have the post game content left to clear. I've enjoyed the game immensely, more so than Demon Gaze. I honestly believe I screwed up my DG playthrough - my samurai was useless by the time I reached the end game and I had to replace him. Boss fights felt really luck based; hoping Mars would survive and dish out her OP damage on the bosses.

Not sure how to put it, but - I guess I feel more in control in OA. I've yet to encounter any hair pulling moments. Although, I do have to admit I had to peruse the Japanese wiki more than once. The game could do with slightly less obtuseness, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Good.
That's another thing that bugged me about Demon Gaze.
Mars was pretty much the MVP in every boss-fight. Those bosses that regen gobs of HP every round were just awful.

JPS Kai

Well, I just realized that I have mana shield. Guess that means I never have to heal again.

Also I finally got my first genome iv. Is there a decent place to farm these so I can make a squeaky hammer for cheap?

Shizuka

Well, I just realized that I have mana shield. Guess that means I never have to heal again.

Also I finally got my first genome iv. Is there a decent place to farm these so I can make a squeaky hammer for cheap?

I found it to be faster to acquire the money than to farm the items to craft one.

Top Bottom