• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey, what's the fourth row of spells, 'tran'? And is it ever possible for a character to have more than one type?

Tran is the spell set that the Conjurer has. You will unlock it and the Monk after completing a specific quest.

redcrayon

Groan, I've just noticed the physician's anti-shuffle ability (like whistle in Demon Gaze). Presumably that means it's essential to have it up in boss fights. I hate enemies that do that!

Saphirax

Groan, I've just noticed the physician's anti-shuffle ability (like whistle in Demon Gaze). Presumably that means it's essential to have it up in boss fights. I hate enemies that do that!

Personally, I haven't encountered it that often. Some bosses use it, but it was way more annoying in DG.

CrovaxPSO

It's really nice when you find weapons for your front line that have medium range so they can still attack when shuffled to the back row. Samurai in particular once they learn the skills to attack multiple rows.

redcrayon

It's really nice when you find weapons for your front line that have medium range so they can still attack when shuffled to the back row. Samurai in particular once they learn the skills to attack multiple rows.
Yeah, I'm eyeing up a lance for my knight just in case. Is it possible to change formation in battle if you get hit with shuffle? Perhaps the tool Neo Default (cancel all enemy spells in play) helps.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah, I'm eyeing up a lance for my knight just in case. Is it possible to change formation in battle if you get hit with shuffle? Perhaps the tool Neo Default (cancel all enemy spells in play) helps.

I don't know if you can change mid-battle. I would guess not. I don't really remember shuffle being a problem until later in the game, and by then you're probably going to be using Aegis with the knight anyway. Aegis still works even if the knight gets moved to the back. Don't think Default really has anything to do with that either. It's for when the enemy buffs itself. I could be wrong since I played the Japanese version and might have missed something about it, but I'm fairly certain.

Edit: Just realized I'm thinking of "Default Other" which is a spell the Academic learns later on. Honestly don't think I've ever used the item so it could be.

Parakeetman

I'm actually considering swapping my Archer for a Wizard.

Its a hard choice to do, esp when you know how much damage the Archer can deal out. But most def the Wizard is important too considering the support and offensive magic it has to help pick up the slack in a tough fight.

pariah164

Its a hard choice to do, esp when you know how much damage the Archer can deal out. But most def the Wizard is important too considering the support and offensive magic it has to help pick up the slack in a tough fight.
Hngh, that is a hard choice. I'd get rid of my Healer, but that would TRULY be stupid.

CrovaxPSO

Later on a Wizard can take out bosses pretty much single-handed while everyone else just stays alive.

Magic Burst + Open Pandora + Fast Cast + Genesis Work

Du4t1dQ.jpg

Parakeetman

Uhhh. So I bought the game physically and downloaded the DLC off PSN. I noticed something strange when scrolling up though... The game shows up as free?

Thats odd, wonder if they screwed something up with PSN?

Hngh, that is a hard choice. I'd get rid of my Healer, but that would TRULY be stupid.

If you get rich you can go YOLO and buy a bunch of trap decoys and ditch the Academic for a while. But dont really suggest that either since you most def want to lv it up to get more charges to identify stuff with. D:

Later on a Wizard can take out bosses pretty much single-handed while everyone else just stays alive.

Magic Burst + Open Pandora + Fast Cast + Genesis Work

Du4t1dQ.jpg

Haha no doubt. Even in like SoSC / SoR the Wiz can be pretty insanely powerful.

Yeah its too bad PSN functionality is still a bit of a mess. Esp with the previous gen stuff.

The store is a mess specially on the Vita. Just the other day I noticed how for some goddamn reason my download list mixed everything that I purchased. Before it was somehwat annoying to scroll through a list of games, but they were in the order that I had purchased them. Now? It's 2012 PS3 games on top of 2015 PS4 games, with the occasional 2014 Vita game in the middle.

Let's not even mention the "connection has been disrupted" pop ups when trying to download something.

bobohoro

How much longer do I have until part II? I'm at
the mission looking for the irregular thingy in the babel sphere for the space envoy.

I've reached the level cap two dungeons ago, wasting all this EXP is getting to me. :/

It arrived! Glorious art book that I can't look through yet because of spoilers!

Played the first couple of missions so far, but I have some work to finish before I can really jump in. So happy right now.

redcrayon

Perhaps I am being really dense here, but how do I use a skill?

The wizard has a skill at level 1, called anti-energy. Description is 'next attack does increased damage to ectoplasmic etc etc'. Now, that sounds to me like it's something I have to select in battle or in the dungeon, but I can't see a 'use skill' option in either?

They all seem to have plenty of empty slots under their commands list, do I get access to skill use later or something?

Parakeetman

How much longer do I have until part II? I'm at
the mission looking for the irregular thingy in the babel sphere for the space envoy.

I've reached the level cap two dungeons ago, wasting all this EXP is getting to me. :/

You could drag around a new character with you to get em exp. Its what I did for a while.

Babelsphere C1 X03Y13: Use Contact
C1 X16Y06 Next Loc
North sector far back, Unlock C3 Switch
South Sector far back, Unlock C3 Switch
From the central Warp in C1 which takes you to C3 Battle at X14Y14
C1 X03Y13: Use Contact
Turn in mission

The wizard has a skill at level 1, called anti-energy. Description is 'next attack does increased damage to ectoplasmic etc etc'. Now, that sounds to me like it's something I have to select in battle, but I can't see a skill option in battle?

Its a passive skill. Which means its always active. Active skills are ones that you have to activate manually. Such as the LV 7 skill "Boot Cast" for example.

CrovaxPSO

The wizard has a skill at level 1, called anti-energy. Description is 'next attack does increased damage to ectoplasmic etc etc'. Now, that sounds to me like it's something I have to select in battle, but I can't see a skill option in battle?

It's passive I think.

redcrayon

You could drag around a new character with you to get em exp. Its what I did for a while.

Babelsphere C1 X03Y13: Use Contact
C1 X16Y06 Next Loc
North sector far back, Unlock C3 Switch
South Sector far back, Unlock C3 Switch
From the central Warp in C1 which takes you to C3 Battle at X14Y14
C1 X03Y13: Use Contact
Turn in mission

Its a passive skill. Which means its always active. Active skills are ones that you have to activate manually. Such as the LV 7 skill "Boot Cast" for example.
Ah, ok, cheers, it's just worded in a bit of an odd way. Persumably they get the skills menu come up only when they have one or more skills you can directly activate.

Parakeetman

Very good to hear more of you have gotten the title in your hands, hope everyone enjoys the game! Will be a different experience from Demon Gaze thats for sure.

Steel

Banned
Ended up picking it up since I'd heard it wasn't heavy on fanservice like Demon Gaze was. I'm now stuck at the character create screen gambling for stats. I've been settling for 7-8 on a few characters, but I've seen 9 and I must have it. At least the game isn't as bad as Class of Heroes where the bonus stats vary by a huge amount. Still, not sure when I'll get to actually playing the game at this rate.

I have a problem.

Parakeetman

Ended up picking it up since I'd heard it wasn't heavy on fanservice like Demon Gaze was. I'm now stuck at the character create screen gambling for stats. I've been settling for 7-8 on a few characters, but I've seen 9 and I must have it. At least the game isn't as bad as Class of Heroes where the bonus stats vary by a huge amount. Still, not sure when I'll get to actually playing the game at this rate.

I have a problem.

hahaha that happens a lot to certain players. Im like that too on occasion when am not doing my 1 roll rule.

Whats worse is when your mind goes numb and you skip right over a good roll due to your thumb keeps moving when your eyes say STOP lol.

Steel

Banned
hahaha that happens a lot to certain players. Im like that too on occasion when am not doing my 1 roll rule.

Whats worse is when your mind goes numb and you skip right over a good roll due to your thumb keeps moving when your eyes say STOP lol.

Oh yeah. I don't think I'll have that problem here since it doesn't let you spam the button, but Class of Heroes wrecked me in that regard.

redcrayon

Hah, I had that when trying to roll up a decent lord (paladin) in Elminage. Must have had three good rolls slip through my fingers!

Cool. Thanks for answering my questions, it's been a big help!

Funny that this guy hates it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone due to it being 'needlessly complex'. Quite a long review before coming to it's conclusion.

http://diehardgamefan.com/2015/06/08/review-operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy-sony-playstation-vita/
The negatives in that review might be the best sell I've heard on this game yet, considering how terrible I found Demon Gaze and also considering it compares Operation Abyss to Dark Spire. Of course, if it truly is somehow worse than Demon Gaze, that would be impressive in its own right. Depending on when EO5 is supposed to hit, maybe I'll grab this to kill some time.

Parakeetman

The negatives in that review might be the best sell I've heard on this game yet, considering how terrible I found Demon Gaze and also considering it compares Operation Abyss to Dark Spire. Of course, if it truly is somehow worse than Demon Gaze, that would be impressive in its own right. Depending on when EO5 is supposed to hit, maybe I'll grab this to kill some time.

Id imagine EO5 is still some times away considering we hardly have any info on it. D: Perhaps before TGS something new might come out or during TGS.

Hah, I had that when trying to roll up a decent lord (paladin) in Elminage. Must have had three good rolls slip through my fingers!

Its even worse in those games since you NEED the proper skill reqs to make certain classes. D: lol So sad when I screw that up.

Steel

Banned
Question: do wizard's and academic's have overlapping skills? Find myself wondering whether I should get an academic or a archer for my final back row.

redcrayon

Id imagine EO5 is still some times away considering we hardly have any info on it. D: Perhaps before TGS something new might come out or during TGS.

Its even worse in those games since you NEED the proper skill reqs to make certain classes. D: lol So sad when I screw that up.
I once played tabletop D&D about 20 years ago with a GM who was determined that we stuck with the rolls for each stat and chose classes accordingly. We had such a rubbish party, some of us aspired to be even just adequate at anything at all! Our big hitter did a single extra point of damage, and our wizard had the minimum amount of spells possible to still be called technically a 'magic user'. Good times :D Later on we settled on rolling the dice six times and assigning the numbers where you want, which at least gave you a fighting chance of being competent at what you wanted to play, without having a party of min/maxed characters.

Parakeetman

Question: do wizard's and academic's have overlapping skills? Find myself wondering whether I should get an academic or a archer for my final back row.

No their skills are different.

In terms of attack magic Wizards have the elemental stuff, Academics have non-elemental damage.

Their buffs / debuffs are also different.

The academic is a mix of a caster and thief. Reason being it can detect and disarm the traps on chips and identify items with a spell you get later on in the magic tier. Plus you will want the skill that the Academic has to refill your U-gauge in battle, which is also unlocked at a later level.

redcrayon

In terms of attack magic Wizards have the elemental stuff, Academics have non-elemental damage.

The academic is a mix of a caster and thief. Reason being it can detect and disarm the traps on chips and identify items with a spell you get later on in the magic tier.
I take it the identify spell is for high-level items, that his basic identify skill doesn't work on?

Parakeetman

I take it the identify spell is for high-level items, that his basic identify skill doesn't work on?

The basic passive is for when you find an item I do believe, there is a chance it will be identified. But the spell itself is for 100% identifying something as long as you have spell charges left. Which is why in you just stand in the medbay and identify everything while refilling MP. A bit of a pain in the ass but saves you a TON of cash.

Likely, but I'll probably hold off on this until after e3 just in case it ends up there. I suspect I'll be picking this up soon, hope it delivers the goods.

Steel

Banned

The academic is a mix of a caster and thief. Reason being it can detect and disarm the traps on chips and identify items with a spell you get later on in the magic tier. Plus you will want the skill that the Academic has to refill your U-gauge in battle, which is also unlocked at a later level.

*sigh* I was hoping the Wizzard would have the identify skill as well. Can't stand not having that in a DRPG, so I guess no Archer for me... Oh well.

redcrayon

The basic passive is for when you find an item I do believe, there is a chance it will be identified. But the spell itself is for 100% identifying something as long as you have spell charges left. Which is why in you just stand in the medbay and identify everything while refilling MP. A bit of a pain in the ass but saves you a TON of cash.
I'm just used to having the academic identifying piles of junk manually while walking around until he gets scared, then everyone helps him walk it off :D It seems to work, I've just had him identify 50+ items while walking around a dungeon, but your way sounds safer.

Shizuka

*sigh* I was hoping the Wizzard would have the identify skill as well. Can't stand not having that in a DRPG, so I guess no Archer for me... Oh well.

It's hard to fit an Archer on the back-row, since a Priest, a Wizard and an Academic are pretty much must-haves.

Parakeetman

You could make one for boss fights and such, but that means splitting up the task with levling and such. Plus later on you will lose out on the U-gauge filling skill which can be pretty useful in more difficult fights.

It really is a hard choice in this game as the 3 casters do work so well with their own speciality within the party. D:

redcrayon

It's hard to fit an Archer on the back-row, since a Priest, a Wizard and an Academic are pretty much must-haves.
Seems like most of the common front line set (warrior/knight/samurai) all have a place too. Of those three, I can see myself experimenting with swapping out the warrior for the monk once my samurai's strength has improved a bit, but the Samurai seems good for crowd control and the knight for tanking boss battles.

Parakeetman

...but...but I like Demon Gaze...

(My copy arrives tomorrow)

Shouldnt be an issue as its the game mechanics which are different such as no demons, not having to worry about rent, being able to fill out a party from the start, no summoning circles. etc :)

Top Bottom