• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

CrovaxPSO

So this should show up tomorrow i think.

The non-guide basics (for plat) as I understand it based on this thread:

1) Don't use curry something something, you'll need it later for some quest or something.

2) Complete all quests before moving on at the 'mid point'.

anything else to know? I keep seeing people referencing 'gamble codes'... should they be kept for postgame or anything?

Just trying to make sure my non-guide playthrough doesn't screw me over.

You'll always be able to get gamble codes as drops, so you don't HAVE to save them but it's useful for trying to get the MURAMASA trophy. Even with only 1 you can still save and reload but that would be really tedious. I usually use several to get new gear if I haven't found any via code chips in a while (still reloading save if I get nothing useful). I forget how common or uncommon they were in Abyss but recently in Babel and Cross Blood I've always been hovering around 20 or so.

Saphirax

1) Don't use curry something something, you'll need it later for some quest or something.

anything else to know? I keep seeing people referencing 'gamble codes'... should they be kept for postgame or anything?

You can get gamble codes as monster drops, so you don't have to save them. You can use them to get MURAMASA, I believe:

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Those gamble codes you can gain more from the 2nd half of the game so its up to you to decide when to use them. You just need to remember what they will do is turn said item into a random +-3 level item from the base item used.

You can get gamble codes as monster drops, so you don't have to save them. You can use them to get MURAMASA, I believe:

Yeah you can. Creating a squeaky hammer then using gamble codes on it is the easiest way to do it ahead of time. Its cheaper than actually buying the thing then trying the gamble codes anyways.

Seda

Buy the Curry Cares in the store. Use one for the quest where you find Hachi. The quest never actually ends so just clear it once I guess. I think the only issue here is that you also need Curry Care later and it's harder to get, but not impossible (has to be found through random drops?)

Yeah make so to clear all quests before the 2nd semester, specifically the Wanted Variants. The midpoint is very clearly marked with a 'Yes'/'No' option so it's obvious.

Gamble Codes you get from drops in the second part and they transform items into another of the same 'level'. There's a trophy for using them in general and also for getting a specific item from them.

Otherwise the rest of the trophies seem story/postgame related, or doing something a # of times, like crafting, battling, etc. Likely unmissable.

Use unite skills often as you go through the game (with an Academic these are almost broken anyway)

Saphirax

Those gamble codes you can gain more from the 2nd half of the game so its up to you to decide when to use them. You just need to remember what they will do is turn said item into a random +-3 level item from the base item used.

Yeah you can. Creating a squeaky hammer then using gamble codes on it is the easiest way to do it ahead of time. Its cheaper than actually buying the thing then trying the gamble codes anyways.

I just tried that and got MURAMASA. Got excited seeing how it was so much better than my current weapons for my samurai. Too bad for the HP- :(.

Parakeetman

I just tried that and got MURAMASA. Got excited seeing how it was so much better than my current weapons for my samurai. Too bad for the HP- :(.

Nice and congrats! that was fast, unlike that poor bastard who did it 70 something times lol

people

Just finished first semester after spending way too much time not having enough keys of the required type, having to go back and forward or reloading. It made the conclusion of the final mission feel rather anti-climactic. But, I'm looking forward to leveling up again.

Saphirax

Nice and congrats! that was fast, unlike that poor bastard who did it 70 something times lol

Joke's on me because I died and didn't save. Time to try again!
Shouldn't be too hard to find an option item or even some armor that has HP+ to cancel it out.

Just equip another HP+ equipment and it's all good.

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought I already had HP+ and it just didn't work. Now I remember I switched my gear around, so I'll try that thanks :D.

Parakeetman

Joke's on me because I died and didn't save. Time to try again!

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought I already had HP+ and it just didn't work. Now I remember I switched my gear around, so I'll try that thanks :D.

D: lol

Baron

Look what came in the mail today.

KeFTtZv.jpg

Mozendo

My US LE also came in the mail!
I'm so stocked, can't wait to start my most anticipated dated free to play smartphone game of the year!

Also great OT as always Parakeetman

Parakeetman

My US LE also came in the mail!
I'm so stocked, can't wait to start my most anticipated dated free to play smartphone game of the year!

Also great OT as always Parakeetman

Thanks! Do hope you enjoy the game.

Should get busy in here again with folks in the US side starting to get their copies and such .

Etria

My copies arrived today.

Probably should have emailed NISA to get one of them canceled..oh well.

I think I might be interested in getting the LE if you're going to part with your extra one, but I don't live in America. Would it be remotely possible to get a shipping estimate for me? I live in New Zealand.

Alright, here's my review: http://battlescreen.net/2015/06/08/review-operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy/

Feel free to add it to the OP along with the other reviews.

Enjoyed reading, thanks.

I've been feeling a bit bummed out that I bought Demon Gaze a few months ago instead of waiting for this. Not that I didn't enjoy DG (it wasn't fantastic, but it was solid) but more that these two look very similar in gameplay terms but of the two, I much prefer the aesthetic in Operation Abyss.

Everything I keep reading about it being more difficult makes me feel better though. I'll try to finish up Demon Gaze if I ever get past the bit I'm stuck on, then I can move onto this in a few months without fear of feeling overwhelmed by it I guess.

CrovaxPSO

Ugh, can't find a JW Long sword to finish the development quest. Been at it for 45 min. Any tips or is it RNG?

Did you check to see if you can buy it from the shop? They sell some of the lower level junk weapons/armor but I don't remember if they have that one or not.

Mozendo

Sorry if this was answered already but is there a way to not have the equipment show up visually in classic mode?
(Also is there a way to take screenshots without the menu appearing?)

CrovaxPSO

Sorry if this was answered already but is there a way to not have the equipment show up visually in classic mode?

If you mean to take a picture of the armor on your character, if you go into the equip menus you can press select I think to hide most of the UI to get a clear view of it. No way to hide armor that's already equipped though.

Shizuka

I don't think so, I'm kinda glad I went with the new sprites. What do you mean with the menu appearing?

Mozendo

If you mean to take a picture of the armor on your character, if you go into the equip menus you can press select I think to hide most of the UI to get a clear view of it. No way to hide armor that's already equipped though.
Oh no it wasn't to take pictures of characters, it was to take pictures of some of the enemy speech.
When I try to take pictures of within battle or a dialogue scene I get something like this and it annoys me
And boo about the equipment part, but oh well not a big issue, but some of the headgear in the portraits annoy me.

CrovaxPSO

Oh no it wasn't to take pictures of characters, it was to take pictures of some of the enemy speech.
When I try to take pictures of within battle or a dialogue scene I get something like this and it annoys me

And boo about the equipment part, but oh well not a big issue, but some of the headgear in the portraits annoy me.

I think you just need to be quicker on hitting start after holding the PS button.

Er, other way around. Or something.

Shizuka

Press the PS button before the start button, but close enough for the system to take it as simultaneous. It takes time and it ruins other games as well, but I've managed to acquire that skill with time.

Wereroku

Damn why can't the post office just leave it on my porch. I even signed up and said they could. Stupid mail carrier won't even get out of their car one day they just honked to let me know I had a package then drove away before I could even get to the door.

Shifty1897

GAF, should I get this or Oreshika? Can anyone who has played Oreshika and Demon Gaze/Operation Abyss elaborate on which is the better option?

My only experience with dungeon crawlers is Unchained Blades, which I thought was good, not great.

SephLuis

Finished the game. The last dungeon would be a pain the ass if it weren't for a guide I was using. The last boss trolled me hard for 3 fights with insane damage, critical hits and healing.

The fourth time, it was barely any challenge at all.

I will write the review before going into the post game content.

Parakeetman

GAF, should I get this or Oreshika? Can anyone who has played Oreshika and Demon Gaze/Operation Abyss elaborate on which is the better option?

My only experience with dungeon crawlers is Unchained Blades, which I thought was good, not great.

Two totally different games design wise but will depend what you want out of the title.

Unchained Blades was a bit of an odd title, hit and miss with folks not exactly what I would call a standard of the genre.

All of the above I do have experience with so need to know what you are looking for in your next game.

Seda

Well, they are very different types of games. Operation Abyss is a bit simpler to describe - it's a mostly straightforward first-person dungeon crawler, like Demon Gaze. While I'm not the most familiar person with this genre (although I have played a handful of games within it), Operation Abyss is seemingly more firmly rooted in a Wizardy / Thac0 style than Demon Gaze was. As for the actual dungeon-crawling aspect of this dungeon crawler, you move around a grid step-by-step with a first person viewpoint. In these dungeons you can find items lying around, switches to open paths and doors, and of course enemies to battle. There are both random encounters and enemy icons on the map that will initiate encounters as well.

Battles are also in first person, and your party can be arranged into a front and back row. Each class has different equipment types they are allowed to wield, as well as special abilities that can be used to deal damage or bolster your team. These aspects of the combat are fairly typical and don’t really need any more explanation than that. The basic set up is satisfactory and allows for a fair bit of customization in how you pick classes and roles to build your team.

Operation Abyss's hook is the modern/futuristic setting and artstyle. Mechanically speaking there is a loot system in which you can get weapons/armor, pieces of weapons/armor, and pieces to enhance weapons/armor. It's not very complex, but still satisfying in allowing yourself to upgrade equipment (I like it more than Demon Gaze's gem/portal system for equipment which was a bit too easy to exploit.) Maps are grids that fill out as you traverse them. It's fun to navigate these mazes to find secrets, stronger monsters to kill, etc.

Seems like quite a few people simply have a distaste for first person crawling, battles, so be aware that most of the game you'll be looking down hallways and fighting 2D demon sprites with your character-face icons.

Here's a screenshot after I beat a boss pretty handily:

CHBoZ4xUcAAeMrC.jpg

-

Oreshika on the other hand is very unique, it's difficult to compare to other games (or even subgenres) because it's unalike most things. In fact, many of the game's systems are not initially intuitive, even for RPG veterans - it takes some getting used to. (It's not really a 'dungeon crawler', or at least that's only a very partial label). The most surface-level description of Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is that it is a 'Turn-Based JRPG'. Well, that's true, but there are many other crucial elements to the game architecture that make it more unique and interesting than such a description implies. In fact, the direct battle system is probably least interesting part of the game. Combat is not overly ornate or complex but it's satisfactory and gets the job done. You have to balance your characters, their trades, and abilities, in order to overcome foes, but most of the actual 'gameplay' really lies outside of battle.

Dungeons are a good example of this - most JRPGs have dungeon progression done in sequence. You enter and complete the first one, and then you head to the second, and so on. Oreshika switches this up a bit. There are about eight or so main dungeons in the game, but the order in which they become available to you changes from player to player. Not only that, but each dungeon has 4 slightly different possible layouts, and these can change mid game depending on when you enter it. While they are not really ‘randomly generated’, this can make traversing them a little confusing as paths can change up on you from one visit to the next. You kinda do dungeons 'in-parallel' rather than the more typical 'in-series'. Dungeons cannot be fully explored upon the first visit. Many paths are closed off by colored padlocks, and require the corresponding colored key to open new paths and unlock shortcuts. Keys are not necessarily found in the same dungeon, rather, keys are ubiquitous and are probably hiding somewhere else. For example, you might find the Green Key hidden away at the end of the 5th dungeon you dive into, which will open up any Green Lock in any of the other dungeons, opening up new paths.

As an additional note, time passes are you explore dungeons, so finding shortcuts isn’t just a mere convenience, it has a more direct impact on how far into them you can traverse in any certain amount of time. In a practical sense, this means later in the game, it is easier to make your way to the rear portions of the labyrinths to find stronger oni and more equipment and EXP.

The game does not give you a map either. You have to keep things straight in your head, or do as I did, draw your own maps (as in, literally draw them with pen and paper).

No seriously I drew miy own maps :p

8UKsCqKl.jpg

Right from the get-go Oreshika dumps a bunch of information at the player detailing the many elements found in the game. Everything is divided into months, and each month you can only perform certain actions that pass time into the next month, and age your party characters ever so closer to death. There are decisions to be made how the player spends each month and how they want to step closer to the ultimate goal. As you might expect, this is a little frustrating – at first anyway. Luckily you get some help in the form of a weasel-girl, Kochin. She's pretty helpful, and literally can make decisions for you if you have choice-paralysis.

Well, there are a few storyline bosses you have to defeat in sequence in order to unlock more dungeons and ultimately progress to the game’s finale. However, any individual character can only power up so much before they reach ‘old age’ and loss of life. This is where Unions come into play, and those characters can pass on their traits to the next generation. Additionally, as the player progresses, they are given access to stronger gods, which in turns results in stronger clan members. This trait passage system does result in a gameplay loop that is a little repetitive. You have to continually make sure your characters are up to snuff and that you have enough Devotion to mate them with the Gods before they perish, and then do that for each generation of your party.

There are many subsystems in place, and keeping track of all the possible things you can do is admittedly a little overwhelming. You can travel into dungeons to fight oni and onigami to strengthen your characters or to find new skills and equipment. You can invest in your town to improve its shops and shrines. You can take part in festivals and you can travel to other lands to challenge other clans. You can have your older clan members train the younger ones, and of course you can perform the Rite of Union to give birth to more clan members. Oreshika is a multifaceted, dense game and it’s not one to ease into. There are a couple of annoyances that arise from the time passing systems but I ended up really liking it - largely because of how fresh it felt.

Oh, the direct story isn't very good though, but the bigger picture narrative (a clan trying to restore their honor) permeates the tone throughout the game.

Parakeetman

Sedas breakdown is pretty spot on. So that should be a good example for you with the 2 different games.

Mozendo

Man, been trying to figure out the a beginner dungeon for so long I'm now starving and I'm still don't know what to do next.
This is going to be a fun game to complete

Parakeetman

Man, been trying to figure out the a beginner dungeon for so long I'm now starving and I'm still don't know what to do next.

Are you stuck on a quest or something? That starting dungeon is "interesting" due to all the ups and downs with the holes in the floor

redcrayon

Spolier: That one started coming together for me when I realised
that some staircases were hidden in the map squares that don't get marked when you walk on thrm, or 'hide codes'
. Start searching there if you get stuck :)

Could someone explain a few bits for me?

A) it is possible to change your blood code later on?
B) what are the long bar of icons at the top of the screen when exploring?
C) the 'option' items, friend task and love task, give U-boost and U-lock respectively. Presumably U-boost is Unite-boost, but what is the other?
D) where a piece of equipment says element affix/variant affix/status affix, does that mean 'effect'? As in, they do increased element damage, increased damage vs enemy type, and inflict status effect accordingly?

Is there an in-game guide that explains all these shortened terms? I mean, I've slogged through Elminage and Etrian Odyssey, but a lot of this has me slightly mystified!

Really enjoying it though.

Parakeetman

Spolier: That one started coming together for me when I realised
that some staircases were hidden in the map squares that don't get marked when you walk on thrm, or 'hide codes'
. Start searching there if you get stuck :)

Could someone explain a few bits for me?

A) it is possible to change your blood code later on?
B) what are the long bar of icons at the top of the screen when exploring?
C) the 'option' items, friend task and love task, give U-boost and U-lock respectively. Presumably U-boost is Unite-boost, but what is the other?
D) where a piece of equipment says element affix/variant affix/status affix, does that mean 'effect'? As in, they do increased element damage, increased damage vs enemy type, and inflict status effect accordingly?

Is there an in-game guide that explains all these shortened terms? I mean, I've slogged through Elminage and Etrian Odyssey, but a lot of this has me slightly mystified!

Really enjoying it though.

A: Yes you can change your characters blood codes if you want.

B: Those are the various buffs you can put on yourself which last till you leave the dungeon. If its lit up means you have said buff cast. (this should be explained in the digital manual)

C: Am not too sure what U Lock is. Dont think Ive used that one myself will have to look it up.

D: Try to give a piece of equipment as an example. Though am pretty sure what you are explaining is when an item has actual special properties to it. For example weak / strong against a certain monster type. (this also should be explained in the digital manual?)

For your last question check the digital manual. Since if its the same as the JP ver digital manual it should have an explanation of those abbreviations you wanted to know about.

redcrayon

A: Yes you can change your characters blood codes if you want.

B: Those are the various buffs you can put on yourself which last till you leave the dungeon. If its lit up means you have said buff cast.

C: Am not too sure what U Lock is. Dont think Ive used that one myself will have to look it up.

D: Try to give a piece of equipment as an example. Though am pretty sure what you are explaining is when an item has actual special properties to it. For example weak / strong against a certain monster type.

Ah, that makes sense on the last one. I was talking about the battle dagger where it has 'par' in red, presumably that means it's weak vs paranormal enemies or something. Cheers man!

Parakeetman

Ah, that makes sense on the last one. I was talking about the battle dagger where it has 'par' in red, presumably that means it's weak vs paranormal enemies or something. Cheers man!

No problem and hope that helps out!

Yeah in the occasion when an item is not effective against a particular type, paranormal especially you most def want to stick a plug in to remedy that. For example like the Samurai's Katanas that you will find will be ineffective against paranormal, so you most def want to get the plugins installed with that. Since they are fairly cheap or you should have some in your inventory gathered from fights its pretty easy to fix that weakness with the weapon.

Although that only works on common items. Rare items are unable to be modified by the player with plugins.

Btw that U-Lock even the JP one does not really explain it, but what I think it might mean is that it will just set your rating vs the other alignment types to zero? U-Boost must be the +5 for the alignment rating status. Am not 100% sure though as even the JP wiki is not that clear on it. I never bothered using those either since had other items equipped instead lol.

General idea of the whole teamwork rating is the following

Lawful - Lawful: 0 - Neutral: 5 - Evil -10
Neutral - Lawful: 5 - Neutral: 0 - Evil: 5
Evil - Lawful: -10 - Neutral: 5 - Evil: 0

Ok that U-Lock = Keeps that %age rating locked at 100%.

U-Boost = Allows for a bonus to your equipment from your alignment rating %age? Or something odd like that. So if you have a decent %age rating its beneficial to your character to use the item? Still trying to figure this out from a JP post. Not sure if its in the digital manual would have to look.

Top Bottom