• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPINION: Wii U, best console to own in 2014, easily

Guevara

Seeing that list of games all together confirms for me that I made the right choice not to buy Nintendo hardware this gen.

Wii U killed it this year and the back half of last year, all the major games lived up to the hype and were GOTY material.

Their Wii U lineup is arguably some of the greatest work they have ever done as a company, hit after hit (in terms of quality) and in some ways reminds me of the Dreamcast, though not nearly as dense in terms of release schedule.

It's truly terrifying to me that a company can create software of this quality and still fail in the marketplace, we've entered a strange era where games being great is seemingly meaningless and hype dominates all.

It feels like Nintendo always has a cycle they repeat.

One console that innovates (NES, N64, Wii) followed by one console that iterates (SNES, GCN, WiiU.) Generally the first system in each pairing is the bigger success of the two, but I generally find the iterative console tends to have the more innovative games. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every Nintendo consoles. But practically all of my favorite Nintendo games come on the iterative consoles.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's a nice secondary system with some good exclusives. Personally the system that gets the most time and love for me is the Vita. Been that way for two and a half years and that aint stopping anytime soon.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If I wasn't such a huge Halo fan, my Wii U would be all I need.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That hardware design is important, so do a better job designing the next console.

That's what I hope they learn.
I still don't think that hardware is the WiiU's problem really. The problem is a lack of "I need to have that" software. That's what makes or breaks every single console, regardless of hardware, and while the WiiU has a fantastic selection of games for the kind of people who post on NeoGAF, it doesn't seem to have software that will sell it to the mainstream gaming audience, let alone the actual mainstream audience

Rulp

Easily. Bayonetta 2 alone makes this true, but the other games are great too. Nintendo is putting a genuine effort into this one and the results are better than what the competition is producing.

It's a pretty fun exclusives/indie machine. I'd recommend it.
I've been having a lot of fun with it lately with HW, indies, MK8, and I'm looking forward to Bayonetta 2 and Smash

Trace

Banned
If it had Destiny on it, maybe. My Wii U is currently picking up dust while my PS4 is on for hours every day.

Super Mario 3D World worst 3D Mario, pretty much devalued the main series alongside the other New Mario titles phoned in recently

Wind Waker HD Worst 3D Zelda, now more expensive

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Also on Wii and 3DS

Wonderful 101 good, but too special

Pikmin 3 has not even a third of the content of Pikmin 2

DK Tropical Freeze offers almost nothing new compared to DKCR except original music and you don't need a new console for good 2D platformers currently... like at all

Mario Kart 8 decent

Hyrule Warriors lol no

ZombiU pretty great, yeah

Lego City Undercover no idea

New Super Mario Bros U as generic and uninspired as it gets, insulting as a current gen title

Etc

[list of lots of shit that isn't out yet, probably not anytime soon in the case of Starfox, Zelda, etc - so just wait until 2016 to pick one up

Nope. Well, maybe, since current gen has yet to get going, but just because the crap that is the Wii U is barely slightly less crappy than the rest, doesn't make it worthwhile. Unlike the Wii U, the other home consoles are at least future proof.

Had you just meant for the games that it has now, I might have been able to understand, but if you're counting games coming up too I'd say either the PS4 or XO beat it.

SummitAve

Banned
I love it. Off screen play is great when I want to game and watch something, and it has really fun games that my girlfriend actually wants to play with me.

Yep. I like my PS4 just fine but being real Sony have been tripping themselves up so far. People gave Nintendo flack but their output has been faster and better out of the gate than their competitors this gen, and it's not close.

It's a shame the 3rd party vacuum makes the system's library seem sparse by comparison, but Nintendo's still playing on a level above everyone else. A small handful of devs can turn out a game on their level, but no other publisher can do it en masse.

They just need to announce a Metroid game. Make the system complete Nintendo, make it whole!

impact

Banned
Not much if you don't love the typical Nintendo stuff, but Bayonetta 2 and DKC pull it above PS4 or Xbone this year. Next year is free for PS4 though, Bloodborne > Zelda :)

It's truly terrifying to me that a company can create software of this quality and still fail in the marketplace, we've entered a strange era where games being great is seemingly meaningless and hype dominates all.

Yep, not enough M rated games, not enough shooters, not enough online multiplayer, not enough hardcore RPGs. The only person I know IRL who has a WiiU is a friend of my wife (female nostalgic Nintendo gamer, she still plays her original game boy regularly).

I'm not saying the WiiU has bad games by any means, I haven't even played a WiiU personally, it's just that the games don't appeal to the current trends in the marketplace.

Nah, all the games are for kids, none of the exclusives are interesting, Mario is always the same shit, Nintendo is going out of business next year anyway, when is Zelda getting ported to PS4?

Am I doing this right?

I don't know what I would do without my Wii U

I never said they only exist on Nintendo consoles

That's why I said you latter redacted that notion, but it took a few posts to drill the concept of "other games have color too" out of you.

In my opinion, I think Nintendo has done a stellar job, but some of the games are lacking in some aspects.

Super Mario 3D World - Not much of a fan of Mario games, but it was enjoyable.

Wind Waker HD - Played the original, didn't like it.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Hard to get into, but fantastic as usual.

Wonderful 101 - WONDERFUL.

Pikmin 3 - Never really cared for those games.

DK Tropical Freeze - DK games ain't my style. Maybe I'm just not a fan of platformers?

Mario Kart 8 - Lacking in content. I feel like it's pretty barebones in general, and I mean that without DLC.

Hyrule Warriors - Probably one of my top Warriors games, but it's where the console shows its age in the number count.

ZombiU - Boring title, but I'm done with zombie games for the most part. A decent concept, atleast.

Lego City Undercover - Found myself not enjoying this one.

New Super Mario Bros U - Same as above for the Mario games.

Bayonetta 2 (plus bayo 1 included) - I need this game.

Captain Toad - Found this game to be boring in the other title, and my mind probably won't change here.

Super Smash Bros 4 - Of course, but hopefully it won't contain some of the niggling problems that exist within the 3DS version like the stupid Smash Run mode.

It's necessary to cover my needs, but without those awesome third-party games and handful of rad first-party titles, I probably wouldn't be sticking around. Luckily, Nintendo seems to be continuing that trend next year, and I hope they don't slow down the momentum.

Nope. Well, maybe, since current gen has yet to get going, but just because the crap that is the Wii U is barely slightly less crappy than the rest, doesn't make it worthwhile. Unlike the Wii U, the other home consoles are at least future proof.

skeptical.gif

The Technomancer

New Super Mario Bros U as generic and uninspired as it gets, insulting as a current gen title

Have you played it? IMO its the best 2D Mario ever, and that's coming from one who thought that the other New games were just passable

2thepoint

I'm really wanting a Wii U.

Just waiting on a price drop - anyone keen to predict when Nintendo may drop the price?

Also, is Wonderful 101 any good?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, is this the new "Nintendo only makes games for kidz"?

I wanna know what kind of child concerts you're going to that have things on the level of Bayonetta. Yikes.

Totally not the point I was making. My point was that when someone suggests Donkey Kong and LEGO City Undercover as reasons why the Wii U is the best console to own right now it seems so foreign to me.

Wii U is still the only current gen console I own.

Xbone has practically nothing that I'm interested in except dddd - which they haven't supported that well and may not continue. Nothing on the horizon except Makoto Asada's shoot'em'up, which I'm not entirely clear on whether it's an xbone exclusive. I can't see myself buying one.

PS4 has nothing now, but a fair amount of interesting stuff on the horizon, so I wouldn't be surprised if I buy one in a year or two's time if things pan out well.

Mesoian

Dude, you may actually not like video games. Calling a sequel to a platformer out for not being different enough is....really something.

In 2014? I agree.

Last year though? Not so much.

Wonderful 101 was the 2013 GOTY.

Period. The best game released in 2013.

I absolutely agree. It worries me. If Nintendo is doing this much fantastic work and being met with awful financial performance, what lesson are they going to take from that? Hell, what lesson is the industry going to take from that? Hell, what lesson do we maybe have to take from that? Quality doesn't matter?

The lesson is that no matter how good your games are, if the system is fundamentally flawed from a design perspective people won't support it.

Hopefully Nintendo learned a lot this generation trying to stick to proprietary hardware. A key take away is that trying to lower cost of proprietary hardware by using older components and design introduces a lot of risk. The biggest risk being that your system will be ignored by consumers, publishers, and developers in favor of the competition.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yeah, as much as i love my ps4 i agree

lmao you are my favorite joke poster

Sami+

I'm not sure what it says about me that I look at that list and still don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

This. I got a PS4 at launch and a Wii U for MK8 - so far on PS4 I've absolutely loved TLoU:R, MGS:GZ, DC, Transistor, and Octodad. Thought about Destiny but decided to skip it in favor of DC.

On the Wii U side my console came with Nintendo Land (which was crap), NSMBU (crap), Sonic Lost World (crap), and W101 (which is a good game that I don't like at all). Mario Kart 8 was absolutely fantastic, and I played Super Metroid (which is a fucking masterpiece, holy shit) for the first time on it.

I'd sell my Wii U if I wasn't interested in Smash, X, and Zelda.

... I might sell it anyway though and put the funds towards a t300 race wheel. I dunno. Thinking about it.

The Technomancer

Totally not the point I was making. My point was that when someone suggests Donkey Kong and LEGO City Undercover as reasons why the Wii U is the best console to own right now it seems so foreign to me.

I mean, compared to what? Is it really just about the aesthetics?

I'm not sure what it says about me that I look at that list and still don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

I kind of agree. There are a couple of games on there I'd really like to play, but I don't feel compelled to buy the console for any of them. I anticipate buying a Wii U at some point but that's largely because I haven't played most Wii classics either.

It's a *good* line-up, no doubt, but lacking any stand out titles that make me feel like I need the console any time soon.

klier

Only bought Mario Kart and Donkey Kong this year. So no, not the best console at all this year. Pretty much all Wii U games I own except maybe Mario Kart (which I haven't played in months either because I know only one person with a Wii U) are great single player games, but I have little desire to play them anytime soon again. Maybe in a couple of years on the next console.

So I am glad to own a PS4 and Xbone. Currently having a blast with Horizon 2.

One internal Japanese game from Nintendo is just sad! I want my EAD stuff!

Raide

X is the only one on the list I am looking forward to. Really not sure what else Nintendo had planned for next year. Nothing is really jumping out....well, if they announce MH4U.

Javier

I'll say this: I'd hate to have the gaming taste of someone who can't find anything worth playing on the Wii U.

Top Bottom