• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika releasing on PSVita on March 3rd/4th. Digital only,19.99 $/€

I think because they're smaller those kinds of margins are actually worth it to them whereas a bigger company wouldn't even need to bother. The better question is how do Square and Namco do it with their occasional limited releases.

Which means Sony wouldn't lose money over it. And as oppose to the others they have (or at least should have) more interest in having a retail presence, so it's just a lack of commitment which is pretty sad to be honest.

matmanx1

Wow, great price! And it releases on March 2nd? March is a crazy month already but I'm still in. I've been wanting to play this one for a very long time and $19.99 is the right price.

t26

Which means Sony wouldn't lose money over it. And as oppose to the others they have (or at least should have) more interest in having a retail presence, so it's just a lack of commitment which is pretty sad to be honest.
There is no retail presence for the other games either. GameStop is the only national store carry these games and only one or two copies

kollapse

Neo Member
A little disappointed by a lack of physical release, but that's a sick price, and I'm still pretty shocked we're getting the game in English at all, so beggars can't be choosers.

I'm curious if the English-speaking audience will have the same overall negative reaction to some of the storytelling that the Japanese audience had, or if that was wholly a product of the differences from the original game.

Still very hyped.

There is no retail presence for the other games either. GameStop is the only national store carry these games and only one or two copies

I don't know about the US but over here in France the Vita as a pretty good retail presence in multimedia stores with every new release, some old release and Sony published games. Even Criminal girls is available.

A bummer that it's digital-only; I still can't see the title of this game and not think of that gorgeous Japanese cover art it got. But hey, at least it's cheap.

Never heard of this game before but it looks interesting. $20 is impulse buy territory so I'll probably pick this up. Are there any other good videos in English other than the Kotaku one? Does it have a significant story or is it mostly just built around the loop of going into dungeons, fusing, and repeating?

I can't believe people still want physical handheld games. Having all your games on one card is the dream unless you are a savage that sells games.

I can't believe people still want physical handheld games. Having all your games on one card is the dream unless you are a savage that sells games.

I understand choosing physical games over digital, but I don't understand ONLY wanting physical games and refusing to buy a game that is digital only, especially when it's this cheap. It's like the delivery method is more important than the game itself.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
No physical is sad but uh yeah, for $20 I'll have at that.
Pretty much. Pulling a Soul Sacrifice Delta again would've been nuts. Depending on how the gameplay looks this could be a day 1 purchase.

Tohsaka

I generally only play one game at a time, so having a ton of games on the same card isn't really much of a convenience to me. I also feel like I don't really own digital games, and am less inclined to finish them sometimes if I don't have a retail copy. If the game were digital only in English period and there was no Asian English version I'd just download it, but I like having the option and it's disappointing that SCEA won't do at least a small print run.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Technically, it shouldn't even be released digitally either, according to some of the logic people are providing.

Yikes. That's going to greatly impede me playing this on my NA account, just like the online pass for Soul Sacrifice Delta did. Is it unbeatable without visiting other players dungeons?

Is online play required? That counts me out, I never have online access when using my Vita.

I kind of stopped playing after waiting for too long for Sony to update and patch the game. I'm not sure whether visiting all dungeons is a requirement for completion. Maybe some others who have played the Japanese version can comment.
My main problem with the game is Sony not updating and blocking features from being used until weeks after the game was released.

I buy most of my game physically, even then my 64GB card is to small to hold all of my games and I'm not even a Ps+ member right now.

$20 is a price I can get behind.

oreshika-tainted-bloodlines-07-21-14-1.jpg

Here's the thing. Oreshika will sell terribly, physical release or not. It's super niche. Sony can do pretty much nothing about that. Releasing it only digitally makes it possible to release it for much cheaper to attract some impulse purchases. It also requires the game to sell much less copies to be "successful".

That's the reality of the situation on the Vita. If you'd rather not get this game at all than buy it digitally, then that's your loss.

And this is all that needs to be said about the subject.

robotnik

Guess I'll be importing the Asian English version, I'm willing to pay the premium for a physical copy.
I'll wait for your impressions then. Especially about this online aspect.

Had a bad time with the Asia Chinese version. The game has a mandatory feature that needs you to visit other players' towns and dungeons to gain access to some dungeons. The dungeons that you start with and have are randomly allocated and you don't have access to other dungeons unless you visit other players. The Asia version did not allow online gameplay to work even after more than a month after the game was released. This meant that an important was not available for a long time. The patch that Japan received was also not available until quite a while after release date.

Tried getting a refund from Sony but of course it didn't work.

Was greatly disappointed.

Wereroku

I kind of stopped playing after waiting for too long for Sony to update and patch the game. I'm not sure whether visiting all dungeons is a requirement for completion. Maybe some others who have played the Japanese version can comment.
My main problem with the game is Sony not updating and blocking features from being used until weeks after the game was released.

Apparently all the dungeons are available to the single player you can just use the visiting mechanic to get some earlier or to see the different layouts. Also it allows you to recruit their party members and buy items they have available. I don't think you need to play all of them to win it looks like you just use them to level for boss fights.

I'll wait for your impressions then. Especially about this online aspect.

The online is just a sharing thing seems kind of like what WKC2 was if I remember right. Visit their towns and get to try their randomly generated dungeons.

I understand choosing physical games over digital, but I don't understand ONLY wanting physical games and refusing to buy a game that is digital only, especially when it's this cheap. It's like the delivery method is more important than the game itself.

I can't speak for everyone, but for some of us it has to do with actually having something to own. If we want to, we can loan it, give it or even sell it. If you buy it digitally, you don't own the game, you buy a license to use the game until they decide to not let you access it anymore. Not to mention compatibility issues with digital games on Sony platforms in particular. Want to play X game on your Vita? Too bad it only works on your PSP.

I like to be able to look through the games on my shelf, pick through the cases and look at them front and back. I like to let my friends look at them and suggest games to them, and let them borrow them. When manuals were a thing, the smell of a fresh manual after opening a new game was great. When a package arrives from Amazon, or I go to pick up a game at Gamestop, there is an excitement, or anticipation at finally holding the game I have been waiting for.

I have personally only paid full price for 2 digital only games ever. They both happened to be Nihon Falcom games, and this is no Nihon Falcom game. I will likely pick it up, but it will be when it is on sale 6 months to a year from now for $5 or $7.50.

I can't speak for everyone, but for some of us it has to do with actually having something to own. If we want to, we can loan it, give it or even sell it. If you buy it digitally, you don't own the game, you buy a license to use the game until they decide to not let you access it anymore. Not to mention compatibility issues with digital games on Sony platforms in particular. Want to play X game on your Vita? Too bad it only works on your PSP.

I like to be able to look through the games on my shelf, pick through the cases and look at them front and back. I like to let my friends look at them and suggest games to them, and let them borrow them. When manuals were a thing, the smell of a fresh manual after opening a new game was great. When a package arrives from Amazon, or I go to pick up a game at Gamestop, there is an excitement, or anticipation at finally holding the game I have been waiting for.

I have personally only paid full price for 2 digital only games ever. They both happened to be Nihon Falcom games, and this is no Nihon Falcom game. I will likely pick it up, but it will be when it is on sale 6 months to a year from now for $5 or $7.50.

As I said, I understand all of that. If you can choose between digital and physical and you choose physical, great. But if you decide to not buy a game you want because it is only available in digital form, that is when I think you're weird. I even understand if you don't like to buy full price, 40€-60€ games digitally. But that's why DD has plenty of sales and like in this case lower prices in general.

People need to stop treating DD like a big evil thing and accept that it's here to stay. And that's a good thing. It lowers barriers and risk for games and we're getting releases we would never get otherwise.
No sale Sony. Screw you basically. You can't even bring out your big games to your customers who don't want to go digital. That's pathetic. Your whole handling of the Vita is pathetic. Really regret even buying your system.
This is what I'm talking about

JoJoSono

Banned
No sale Sony. Screw you basically. You can't even bring out your big games to your customers who don't want to go digital. That's pathetic. Your whole handling of the Vita is pathetic. Really regret even buying your system.

Ryuukan

As I said, I understand all of that.

I don't understand it. Basically saying the game itself is worth $5 and all the real value is in a plastic box with a pretty picture on it.

Tell your friends to support the industry instead

Release some Vita games Sony!

Sony: Here you go

B-b-b-b-but it's digital only! I need plastic boxes!

JoJoSono

Banned
This is what I'm talking about
I don't see a problem with wanting only psychical releases. If you think digital is great. Cool, but I certainly don't have to be interested in owning digital versions of games that I have to download and re download if I simply want to play the game on a whim, tied to an account that needs online access when I don't always have it, or require expensive memory cards that I don't want.

Psychical does all I want and more and I'm not weird because I want it over digital.

Sorry if I don't appreciate Sony being the lazy pos publisher they are when it comes to the Vita.

I don't understand it. Basically saying the game itself is worth $5 and all the real value is in a plastic box with a pretty picture on it.

Tell your friends to support the industry instead
I understand the emotional attachement to things and wanting to look at them and share them. I don't need it myself anymore and have been slowly getting rid of most of my physical "collection", but I can relate.

But I also understand that DD is the future and overall beneficial to publishers (especially small ones) and consumers (because of lower prices and higher availability of games) and I'll happily support it. Yes there are problems and potential drawbacks, like the case of a service shutting down, but in the end, there is almost always a way to play a game in the future.
I don't see a problem with wanting only psychical releases. If you think digital is great. Cool, but I certainly don't have to be interested in owning digital versions of games that I have to download and re download if I simply want to play the game on a whim, tied to an account that needs online access when I don't always have it, or require expensive memory cards that I don't want.

Psychical does all I want and more and I'm not weird because I want it over digital.
Once again, the delivery method is more important to you than actually playing a game you would normally be interested in because of hypothetical problems. I think that is weird.

Producer

its not even about plastic boxes. Its about the cart itself. You actually own the game. I can put the cartridge in any other vita and it will work. Don't have to worry about content licenses, about restrictions, any of that. PSN might be down and i might not have the game installed on my memory card, then i'd be SOL.

To be clear i'm not in the 'no physical no buy' camp, but i will always get a physical copy if its available. In this case, i think they made a good compromise by having the game be cheaper than normal.

Zareka

You know, I normally get mad when a release is digital only, but for €20? Alright. Great. With the cheaper price, I'm all in.

B.K.

I'll wait and see if there's an English Asian release and import it, like I did for Final Fantasy X and X-2 on Vita.

Uthred

Finally, I waited this games since announcement. And such great price.

I feel the same, was eagerly waiting for some news so the sudden announcement of its imminent release and that low price point are great

Edit: I see the threads were merged

Top Bottom