• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Belgo Ray

Go to the red X :)

rJmjuCj.jpg

whenever you see a blocked door, there's usually a lever or stump you can stomp on very closeby. some of them are very well hidden in walls or ceilings, while others are hiding in plain sight...

gizio

About 10 hours in the game, 599 deaths and loving everything of this little masterpiece. Best game of the year so far, hands down.

stktt

Banned
I love what I've played so far, but the game has crashed twice since entering the Ginso Tree. All I want from an Ori sequel is a few more weeks of bug fixing before releasing it to the public.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help! :) Great game so far, i almost at the end, got all abilities and now cleaning the map from missed secrets. Too bad some locations are blocked now, it seems that i missed at least the 100% map achievement :(

on my second playthrough, i missed one spirit light container. ONE!

I'm not big on achievements, but seeing everything else on the map read 100% sucked, especially considering it was in the ginso tree. i don't think spirit light containers count for anything, but it was in an area i hadn't "unturned" (the only one i think).

also, do energy cells even show up on the map, or is it bugged? i've never noticed them after getting the upgrade (or maybe i did and i forgot).

Exentryk

on my second playthrough, i missed one spirit light container. ONE!

I'm not big on achievements, but seeing everything else on the map read 100% sucked, especially considering it was in the ginso tree. i don't think spirit light containers count for anything, but it was in an area i hadn't "unturned" (the only one i think).

also, do energy cells even show up on the map, or is it bugged? i've never noticed them after getting the upgrade (or maybe i did and i forgot).

Yeah, I think I missed that energy cell in the Ginzo tree too. I can see it on the map. :(

We're getting quite a lot of requests now from various sites regarding Post Mortems, articles about Oris development, etc.

Just wanted to ask what topics you guys would be most interested in. We've been working on Ori in secret for around 3.5 years and I think we have quite an interesting approach to game development.

Are there any topics you guys are specifically interested in hearing from us?

I'd love to hear how you handled passing assets back and forth between different people/locations, and if it posed any development hurdles to be working so far apart.

MaLDo

About performance hitches when the game load assets, I found that forcing the game to run in DX9 path, fixes the problem. In both DX11 and DX9 you need RivaTuner Statistics Server limiting max framerate to 60 fps in order to avoid juddering because Unity misses frames here and there, but loading big pauses disappear only in DX9.

Collateral damage, the text font in menus turns into pink squares, so it's not very useful this workaround. Only for testing.

In steam, add in Ori launch parameters

-force-d3d9

Winding down on Xenoverse and had to get something to keep my mind off Bloodborne else go nuts, so picked this up yesterday.

Game is definitely gorgeous. I've had only a couple of issues with controls and no bugs to speak of so far ( seems I read that alot ).

My only complaint at the time being would be the dungeon exit sequence. Holy was that frustrating. So frustrating that when I finally finished it I didn't have an elated " YEAH I DID IT " moment but a " about fucking time " moment. So, while it was a gripping sequence at first, it quickly turned to sheer frustration as to how many times it felt like I died cheaply. Either my framerate tanking at a critical moment and making me miss a projectile or just a bad jump near the end causing me to restart all over again, or getting clipped by a projectile instead of using it to propell, or getting killed by an enemy. I even tried putting down a soul link lol just to get a jump start. Think I died about 15 times maybe, somewhere in there.

I'm going to enjoy this though as I love puzzle games and platformers like this. I had that menu up on screen for quite awhile at first with the music playing. Fantastic.

Hint:
Try to time a jump as the platforms move from one side to the other.

You should be able to figure the rest. ^__-

Hehe thanks, that's what I've been trying :)

Good to know I'm headed in the right path. Now all I need is to get off of work!

it doesn't take that long to travel across the levels when you know the route. the issue is that some of the routes are woven in a way that requires you make several long loops - and keep an eye on the map while you're at it, lest you end up on a dead end. an easy workaround would be to let the player warp from one spirit well to another. i think placeable waypoints would be nice though so i don't need to bring up the map every 30 seconds to see if i'm going the right way.

I'm in love with this game. In 2 days I already put in 8 hours worth of time and I'm really hoping it doesn't come to an end. This going to be my first runner for GOTY for 2015.

Hynad

Banned
@ Thomas: Some users have suggested it, but if you do a sequel, I think you should make it possible to re-access every areas of the game. So we can 100% the game without restarting it all. But I also think that you should remove or alter the skills that let you see power-ups on the map. Make it so we have to use Ori's abilities to locate them while exploring, like it is in Metroid and SOTN.

By unlocking the ability to see through nearby walls, and by having the orbs not showing on the map, it makes it so the player actually has to explore and wonder what approach to take to get to that orb showing there, behind that wall. Is it accessible from here, or is there a hidden pathway leading to it from somewhere else? I think figuring this out is part of the fun, but having all the orbs showing on the map makes it so that we go to some locations not to explore but because we already know what's waiting for us there. You know what I mean?

The game is still very fun to explore, but truly hidden stuff would make it even more compelling, and would ask a little more thinking from the player.

Just my two cents.

Lirik played it on his stream yesterday. I want to play it myself, but I don't know if I can handle the feels. The intro was nearly too much for me.

Lirik played it on his stream yesterday. I want to play it myself, but I don't know if I can handle the feels. The intro was nearly too much for me.

I think you'd be fine.

The feels only really exist at the very beginning and very end. Very minor story stuff in between

mike4001_

Maybe you could do 2 difficulties.

With the "easy" difficulty you get 1-2 checkpoints during escape sequences, maybe a little more energy per pickup and as a downside you don´t get 1-2 achievements such as "complete the game on normal difficulty" ... so people who play the "normal" mode are not angry :)

lt519

This game has inspired me to replace my SMW caped Mario avatar. And that's saying a lot.

Going to start a new file tonight. Don't think I'm going to speed run but I'm going to try and limit the exploration early on since I think I made Ori a little to powerful for early levels last time.

After completing it last night I find myself missing it in the same way I longed for Destiny those few months after release. That is to say, regardless of what I was playing or doing I was thinking of going back to that world and reveling in gameplay that feels near perfect. When Ori is moving there is a sort of rhythm present under the surface that really reminds me of the more rhythm overt sections in Rayman Legends.
I would love to 100% the achievements in this game, however I don't see myself not being murdered a single time.

Our character artist, Steffen, has some 3d models that we've never shown before. I thought it'd be fun to drop them here.

Here's Naru:

ori_naru_02.jpg

And Kuro:

ori_kuro.jpg

Nbz

Just finished the game. WOW. The final sequence was definitely the toughest of the 3 and extremely rewarding to complete. Thank you Moon Studios for this incredible experience, its one I will remember for a very long time to come.

P.S.
Where on earth is that final energy cell in Mount Horu? It doesn't show up on the map even when I have the ability to see all pickups AND have the map stone. Anyone wanna help me hit that 100%? I have a backup save file so I can jump back in and grab it!

lt519

P.S.
Where on earth is that final energy cell in Mount Horu? It doesn't show up on the map even when I have the ability to see all pickups AND have the map stone. Anyone wanna help me hit that 100%? I have a backup save file so I can jump back in and grab it!

If I remember correctly it's in the upper right most room? It's definitely in one of the first rooms and I think it's after you stop the lava in that room. I got it very early on in Mt. Horu and it was in one of the rooms. Just look for some false walls after you complete the rooms and the lava drains.

Nbz

If I remember correctly it's in the upper right most room? It's definitely in one of the first rooms and I think it's after you stop the lava in that room. I got it very early on in Mt. Horu and it was in one of the rooms. Just look for some false walls after you complete the rooms and the lava drains.

Yes! It was at the very top of the room with the spikes! The same room where they hid the final map fragment.
Well at least I can now safely say I managed to get 100% on my first playthrough of Ori!

Daigoro

just finished it for the first time. lovely game. much more fun than the trailers actually led me to believe. glad i bought it.

i thought the difficulty was just right save for a few sections that got a little tedious due to trial and error. very creative platformer, some very fun mechanics.

missed some stuff because i got locked out of the underground area before i realized that could happen. got too many games going now to go back and do a 100% run, so we'll see if that ever happens...

Myggen

Playing it now, and I have to say, this is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. And it plays well, has great music! My GOTY so far I think.

I was blocked here for like 20 minutes until I learned how to use the magnetic squares properly. I had one of those cool Portal mind releasing moments

"mmm? Oooh.....OOOOOH???? YEEEEAH!!!!"

Haha, yeah. I was stuck there for a bit and then laughed at myself when I figured it out.

I was blocked here for like 20 minutes until I learned how to use the magnetic squares properly. I had one of those cool Portal mind releasing moments

That's what we were going for :)

I think we could've made an entire game just using that gravity mechanic!

NIN90

Brave design decision to have this elaborate gravity element and only use it for 20-30 minutes. It's refreshing.

Brave design decision to have this elaborate gravity element and only use it for 20-30 minutes. It's refreshing.

We had to contain it inside an area, cause it's really difficult to make the rest of the game work with it ;)

Having said that, I could easily see someone picking up the mechanic and making an entire, smaller game with it that could be awesome.

Terry, do it for VVVVVV2! ;)

We had to contain it inside an area, cause it's really difficult to make the rest of the game work with it ;)

Having said that, I could easily see someone picking up the mechanic and making an entire, smaller game with it that could be awesome.

Terry, do it for VVVVVV2! ;)

Did you see this guys post? Maybe you could help?

Mannnnn. Accidentally broke the game for myself. At the
Ginso Tree Boss Fight.
anyone have an idea how I can salvage this situation? Super bummed out. I don't want to have to play 3 hours over again.

Huge bummer. I'm an idiot for making a save point there, I realize. I was just trying every button combo in the hopes it would get me out. ):

Link. Be careful with your saves duders!

royox

That's what we were going for :)

I think we could've made an entire game just using that gravity mechanic!

I loved the "portal" stuff used too and how subbtle you force the player to find out how it worked by adding a little puzzle that can only be solved using that mechanic.

I was like "Ok...when I go here I appear on the other side...and there's this plant trowing that explosive thing...mmmm will it work with projecti...OH GOD IT WORKS!"

I NEED MOAR!

Is a fix even possible for the performance issues for the pc version? The occasional stutters/slowdown blemish an otherwise beautiful game. Getting the animations to run at 60 fps would be nice, too, but I'm guessing that's not doable.

Spasm

Oh god, what's up with save files? ... Been avoiding this thread till I finish the game.

Also has anyone talked about how the game doesn't suspend/resume properly on Xbone?

Top Bottom